Petition Demands Female Jarheads in Aliens: Colonial Marines

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So, they want women to be raped in this game?

Thats not just distorting the events, thats quite obviously what goes on in these games. Yeah, people want it like Ripley, but you may remember that Ripley was not one of the people being slaughtered willy nilly. This is about the cannon fodder - remember, in the main storyline, there are women already, this is just about the multiplayer, where the humans will spend the bulk of time getting raped.

Am I the only one who get's irritated with Andy Chalk's news articles?

It's like he just can't help himself but drip his irrelevant opinion all over every single news article he writes. Where the heck is the editor?

"I don't like consumers making demands of developers but..."

Who cares what you don't like?! It's a news article not an editorial or opinion piece!

News articles contain the facts as far as a journalist knows them, and thats it.

Jeezo.

Considering the universe is famous for its strong female characters, the omission of Female PCs in the game is mind boggling and it is perfectly reasonable to request that they be included. Especially if the Player Character is not a pre-set character, as seems to be the case here.
Also in this day and age of equality and inclusiveness the omission of female pc's (where the choice of male pc's is available) is even more surprising.

Starting a petition to show support for said request is NOT a demand on the developers; its a way to demonstrate that this particular request has wider supprt and thus would be worth the extra expense in time and money for the developers to pursue it.

Could you be any more cynical? Lol.

I'm going to check a few things out.

Aliens Vs. Predator for Jaguar: Male Marine
Aliens Vs. Predator for PC: Male Marine
Aliens Vs. Predator 2 for PC: Male Marine
Aliens Vs. Predator multi-platform: Male Marine
ALIENS: Colonial Marines: Male Marine

Hehe. Wow. It's like nobody even cared or contemplated on having the option to play as a female marine. At least Star Trek: Elite Force was generous enough to allow players the option of choosing the gender of the PC, including full voice work for both genders!

Yeah, after 25 year Vasquez (Michelle Rodriguez) is still T.H.E. bad ass women. And she managed to get this icon in an supporting role!!!! How more bad ass can ANYONE get?

Foolproof:
So, they want women to be raped killed in this game?

Thats not just distorting the events, thats quite obviously what goes on in these games. Yeah, people want it like Ripley, but you may remember that Ripley was not one of the people being slaughtered willy nilly. This is about the cannon fodder - remember, in the main storyline, there are women already, this is just about the multiplayer, where the humans will spend the bulk of time getting raped killed.

Poor choice of wording considering the topic.

And Andy, why the dislike for online petitions? Sure, the majority of them are useless, but occasionally you get Dark Souls ported to the PC, so I call it a win overall.

Kenneth Duncan McClymont:

It's like he just can't help himself but drip his irrelevant opinion all over every single news article he writes. Where the heck is the editor?

Who cares what you don't like?! It's a news article not an editorial or opinion piece!

News articles contain the facts as far as a journalist knows them, and thats it.

Exactly how many Escapist "news" articles have you read? Every article on the Escapist contains the opinion of its author. This is in not new. This is not madness. This is the Escapist.

If you want neutral, opinion-free news, go to... well actually, I can't think of anywhere that has that.

Kenneth Duncan McClymont:

That's Andy for ya. As well as Grey Carter, and they seem to ignore any criticism.

The Youth Counselor:

Sleekit:
they should ask James Cameron for a statement :P

the guy is kinda infamous for his love of strong and/or buff women and would surely back the campaign...

As well as Ridley Scott and Joss Whedon (Even though he was involved with Alien Resurrection which never existed). I actually consider them to be EXTREMIST feminists who are always injecting agendas into their work.

i don't think, especially in Camerons, case that its really a feminist agenda.

the guy left his wife because he had a raging hard on for Linda Hamilton after she buffed up for T2.

when i said he loves buff women that's exactly what i meant...

Signed this a while back. I don't really plan on playing the game myself, but I wouldn't mind watching a few good let's plays of it to see what's going on. Last I heard, there were female characters in the campaign but not in the multiplayer. Not sure why they would have it setup that way and it may have changed by this point. I don't feel like checking at the moment.

So a female is in campaign and co-op but not MP. Could this just be a simple balance thing? I suppose you could re-texture a character to look female, but that seems kind of pointless if you are just going to keep the same hitboxes.

Can't we just let developers create the freaking content they want without someone who has no involvement or knowledge of the development process actually stop throwing stones and making demands that impede the actual production of the game for this crap?

Seriously it is getting old. Let developers be able to create the game they want to create.

Scars Unseen:

Foolproof:

Thats not just distorting the events, thats quite obviously what goes on in these games. Yeah, people want it like Ripley, but you may remember that Ripley was not one of the people being slaughtered willy nilly. This is about the cannon fodder - remember, in the main storyline, there are women already, this is just about the multiplayer, where the humans will spend the bulk of time getting raped killed.

Accurate choice of wording, you mean.

The Aliens franchise is about rape - I thought everyone has been clear on this for the last 30 odd years. What the facehuggers do? That is rape. The way the full grown Xenomorphs like to kill their victims? Rape. Everything they do, is rape. And women are arguing to get female characters into that?

In the main storyline, where the humans are triumphing, I could understand. But women are already in that. This is about the multiplayer - the Xenomorphs all-you-can-rape buffet.

It's not as if it'd really be that difficult to do a couple of new character skins and animations. Gearbox should just go ahead and do this if only to keep the masses quiet.

You're getting "tired" of using male avatars in video games? Is the experience of playing as the opposite sex mentally draining? Sounds a bit petty to me. But then again, internet petitions usually are.

While I'll admit that it seems strange not to have female playable characters in a game based on a movie that had female cast members, it's not exactly important is it?

Lyri:

Andy Chalk:
*snip*

My dog loves to watch me play video games, I think we should add a canine follower to this game too so that way when my Skipper watches me travel the ingame world he can see someone to relate too.
There are many people in this world who enjoy watching video games, there also many pet owners who play video games and have furry companions to guide us as we cross a digital waste land.

We must petition Gearbox at once and have them see the error of their ways and add this into their game.

Comparing women to dogs. Great going.

Foolproof:

Scars Unseen:

Foolproof:

The Aliens franchise is about rape - I thought everyone has been clear on this for the last 30 odd years. What the facehuggers do? That is rape. The way the full grown Xenomorphs like to kill their victims? Rape. Everything they do, is rape. And women are arguing to get female characters into that?

In the main storyline, where the humans are triumphing, I could understand. But women are already in that. This is about the multiplayer - the Xenomorphs all-you-can-rape buffet.

It's a good thing that Freudian psychology is pretty much a joke at this point. He would have raised an eyebrow at your take on the movies.

Scars Unseen:

Foolproof:

Scars Unseen:

It's a good thing that Freudian psychology is pretty much a joke at this point. He would have raised an eyebrow at your take on the movies.

A quote from Dan O'Bannon, the man who wrote the script for Alien.

"One thing that people are all disturbed about is sex... I said 'That's how I'm going to attack the audience; I'm going to attack them sexually. And I'm not going to go after the women in the audience, I'm going to attack the men. I am going to put in every image I can think of to make the men in the audience cross their legs. Homosexual oral rape, birth. The thing lays its eggs down your throat, the whole number.'"

You were saying?

Oh, and to make this easier on the both of us, please reply with "Well, i guess I was just really that dense. I should have known not to argue against something that is so painfully obvious.

Foolproof:

Scars Unseen:

Foolproof:

A quote from Dan O'Bannon, the man who wrote the script for Alien.

"One thing that people are all disturbed about is sex... I said 'That's how I'm going to attack the audience; I'm going to attack them sexually. And I'm not going to go after the women in the audience, I'm going to attack the men. I am going to put in every image I can think of to make the men in the audience cross their legs. Homosexual oral rape, birth. The thing lays its eggs down your throat, the whole number.'"

You were saying?

Oh, and to make this easier on the both of us, please reply with "Well, i guess I was just really that dense. I should have known not to argue against something that is so painfully obvious.

Or I could simply go with script != movie; Whatever the author's intentions, the movies were overtly violent. I never perceived them as being sexual. So it seems that he failed to make me "cross my legs."

They certainly could do it by randomising the playable character generation in multiplayer whenever a player respawns, or if they're deliberately going for a more Team Fortress approach where the character's silhouette is all part of a prepackaged class. If they're going for a more traditional Call Of Duty style with this one however, radically changing the hit-boxes to accommodate significant differences in silhouette is a big no-no. The whole point of those sorts of games is that you cannot bring any innate advantage to the game that isn't available to everyone else.

You know, I see a lot of these internet petitions as superfluous, but this one I can agree with. They have gender-integrated combat units in the Alien universe, it's totally common and accepted just like it is in many sci-fi future universes, like Starship Troopers. The absence of females in combat in this game is just not in line with everything we have come too accept about the whole mythos, and that Gearbox is willfully ignoring it is.. odd, at -best-.

TheScientificIssole:
I don't understand what Ferro did that made her badass. Either way, I don't see the issue. Nobody complains that women aren't allowed to serve in the front-lines, and I think that's a bigger issue of equality that this. At least in the U.S.

I gather you haven't talked to too many career female military officers lately. Cobmat experience is important in promotion. They're working their way closer and closer to combat in the U.S. military even as I type this. And yes, the issue is important, both in terms of full equality and in service to your country.

I seem to remember the developers of Brink saying that their customisation could be really deep if they focused one just one gender. And hell, let's not kid ourselves. It's a video game. Women play video games, I know, but don't lie to yourselves. Men play a hell of a lot more of them than women do.

Still, the Alien franchise is known for strong female leads. Maybe free DLC down the line?

IceStar100:
I don't care I think I've become burned out on sexist stuff. I just really don't care anymore. It sad becuase I use to belivie men and women deserved equal rights not I really just tired of hearing about it.

I get what you mean, man. I am seriously running out of fucks to give right now. I had such a bountiful supply of fucks before, but since the 'Pist has gone into anti-sexism overload my vast array of fucks has been sucked dry.

I genuinely am getting pretty sick of the sexism debate threads here and also think petitions are usually pretty stupid but, come on, this is an Aliens game. If there's any game that pretty much requires a badass chick, it would be a game based on Aliens. This is especially true for one that concentrates solely on the Colonial Marines.

BloodRed Pixel:
Yeah, after 25 year Vasquez (Michelle Rodriguez) is still T.H.E. bad ass women. And she managed to get this icon in an supporting role!!!! How more bad ass can ANYONE get?

Jenette Goldstein, actually. Aliens came out in 1986, Michelle Rodriguez would've only been about eight years old at the time. Interestingly enough, she was also in Terminator 2, but you'd never recognize her after her role in Aliens.

TheScientificIssole:
I don't understand what Ferro did that made her badass. Either way, I don't see the issue. Nobody complains that women aren't allowed to serve in the front-lines, and I think that's a bigger issue of equality that this. At least in the U.S.

Don't you remember from the movie?

"In the pipe, 5-by-5."

I say that's a pretty cool line on its own. I believe they even used it in Starcraft... LOL.

Anyway, I signed the petition too. I fully support it.

Sometimes I think these petitions smack of knee-jerk political correctness ("add minorities and non-straight characters regardless of their relevance to the story and setting!") but this is as reasonable as it gets. I have difficulty understanding why Gearbox would even consider an all-male cast in the first place. The Alien series has never been about the guys, and Vasquez and Ripley are still two of the most badass and capable female characters I can think of.

TheMann:
I genuinely am getting pretty sick of the sexism debate threads here and also think petitions are usually pretty stupid but, come on, this is an Aliens game. If there's any game that pretty much requires a badass chick, it would be a game based on Aliens. This is especially true for one that concentrates solely on the Colonial Marines.

BloodRed Pixel:

Jenette Goldstein, actually. Aliens came out in 1986, Michelle Rodriguez would've only been about eight years old at the time. Interestingly enough, she was also in Terminator 2, but you'd never recognize her after her role in Aliens.

Wolfie 's fine honey. Instantly recognizable, I don't know what you're talking about.

Vasquez, Bishop, and Hudson are cowboy vampires anyway. I can't help but feel that Bigelow is much more interesting film maker than Cameron.

Foolproof:

Scars Unseen:

Foolproof:

I think I just feel in love with you. Having watched Alian this is so much truth. Hell go read the authors thoughs there so much symbolism about sex it's not funny

jollybarracuda:

IceStar100:
I don't care I think I've become burned out on sexist stuff. I just really don't care anymore. It sad becuase I use to belivie men and women deserved equal rights not I really just tired of hearing about it.

I'm right there with you. It's become less gender equality and more gender pandering at this point. No one can lift a finger anymore without the sexism debate going off, and even if it is justified (though this doesn't seem all that big of a deal. They're marines, marines are mostly guys. Chill) it just happens so much that it's turning into a repetitious cycle.

All the more power to them if they get girls in their game, though. I'm not against that. Just seems silly to have a petition over is all.

Sparrow:
I seem to remember the developers of Brink saying that their customisation could be really deep if they focused one just one gender. And hell, let's not kid ourselves. It's a video game. Women play video games, I know, but don't lie to yourselves. Men play a hell of a lot more of them than women do.

Still, the Alien franchise is known for strong female leads. Maybe free DLC down the line?

IceStar100:

I get what you mean, man. I am seriously running out of fucks to give right now. I had such a bountiful supply of fucks before, but since the 'Pist has gone into anti-sexism overload my vast array of fucks has been sucked dry.

Good to see thier are others worn out about this. Best way to lose support is well be wrong second best way beat someone over the head with it.

I care so little it actually bothers me that so many people care so much.

Signed. If only to see this suceed & see CM roll out with female marines playable in multiplayer. Then i will witness the greatest shitstorm to rock these forums since its birth. The shitstorm of how GB did not make the female marines meet out exact expectations. Too masculine, too feminine, shes just cannon fodder, & why is she not more plot integral. Out of the pot & into the fire. Particularly with the cannon fodder bit. Reminder why.
-Aliens are rape/murder machines
-multiplayer is a playground for said machines
-marines will be killed/raped by the boat load, female marines will inevitably be part of that.
Do i need to draw a picture? Cant wait to see that rage.

Glad its not an angry petition. With the month we have seen it wasn't too far off. Though Escapist will fill that gap. Conversation will be about how gearbox is sexist before too long.

Sooo, is this a case of someone not paying attention, or simply false advertising?

http://postimage.org/image/eh9mtnssl/

Above all, I just find this baffling for the single fact that the ENTIRE Alien series is centred around female leads. Even the terrible AVP movie had the sense to have the main character female, to sit with the theme of the series (we don't count AVP2 because it was an abortion of a film).

choclatechocobo:
Sooo, is this a case of someone not paying attention, or simply false advertising?

Dont bother, once the train starts moving there is no way back. From now on Gearbox will be treated as a sexist developer on this site.

*sigh*

Okay so I signed the petition, nothing wrong with pointing out that games like this should maybe let us play a protagonist with a preferred gender/race...Mass Effect let that cat out of the bag a while ago. That said, I wonder why nothing like this popped up a couple years ago with AvP (you know, before it was released and we all got to experience a general malaise of disappointment with that game....I kid! It was okay, just painfully short and over-scripted).

Once again, weekend warriors (internet fem style) attempt to derail a product before it's been completed.

This is why you can't/don't deserve nice things.

EDIT FOR CLARITY: If you want something, you have to do it yourself. You see something that isn't represented? Make it yourself, or go home.

Bayonetta'd for life, G.

choclatechocobo:

This was already brought up and answered on the first page:

toomuchnothing:

TConti:
Talk about crappy reporting and stupid people in general. Go to the Aliens Colonial Marines website (http://www.sega.com/alienscolonialmarines/) and scroll down there will be a picture of 4 marines available for preorder one of them is distinctly FEMALE. This is not new, its been up for months now, instead of accusing a company of sexism do some research and find true answers.

Sorry to tell you but this complaint comes from a video posted almost a month ago during a Live Chat with Brian Burleson, Producer at GBX, during which he was asked will there be an option to play as a FEMALE MARINE to which he responds no you won't (although he responds there will be female characters in the game).

http://www.livestream.com/electronicarts/video?clipId=pla_a70e0295-f084-46c5-9106-0ad601d63104

Question is at 28:35.

So apparently there are no females in multiplayer, but you can play as one in co-op I guess? What about non-coop campaign?

At any rate, I think it's about time one of the aliens games let the palyer play as a female marine. The movies have always had a female protagonists, and the marines in the movies have always been of mixed gender, so I can't of a good reason why every single alien and alien v predator game has only let the player be a male marine. (with the exception of the DS game, which let the palyer use female as well as male marines, I think)Vasquez and the other marines were pretty badass in Aliens, so I don't understand why they would think no one would want to play a female marine.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here