Square Enix Finally Confirms PC Final Fantasy VII

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Crono1973:

You do know that HD has nothing to do with graphics don't you? They could still be using blocky graphics with higher resolution textures and it could be capable of running at 1080p or higher. The specs to run this are much much much higher than the specs needed to run the original PC version.

HD is determined by screen resolution, not graphics.

Deviate:
You do know that there's hardware configurations that won't let the original game work at all? For that matter, how many of the original owners do you think still has access to the discs? Even if they do, do you really think all the discs are free from scratches? Even if it is possible to get it running, it won't be with native resolutions, nor widescreen.

In short, this re-release is wonderful news for a lot of people.

And yes, according to the trailer it certainly is an HD remake. HD is simply a matter of resolution and it certainly seemed to be 720p at the least and I doubt they'd stop short of 1080p.

Maybe i worded it badly, but my point was that most people wanted a rerelease in modern graphics.

I was only speaking about why i am not interested in a rerelease. I myself own the original discs and have been able to get them to work on my pc.

In no way did i say it couldn't be interesting for anyone. Way to get both your panties in a twist over nothing. I didn't mean to offend anyone. ;)

lapan:

Crono1973:

You do know that HD has nothing to do with graphics don't you? They could still be using blocky graphics with higher resolution textures and it could be capable of running at 1080p or higher. The specs to run this are much much much higher than the specs needed to run the original PC version.

HD is determined by screen resolution, not graphics.

Deviate:
You do know that there's hardware configurations that won't let the original game work at all? For that matter, how many of the original owners do you think still has access to the discs? Even if they do, do you really think all the discs are free from scratches? Even if it is possible to get it running, it won't be with native resolutions, nor widescreen.

In short, this re-release is wonderful news for a lot of people.

And yes, according to the trailer it certainly is an HD remake. HD is simply a matter of resolution and it certainly seemed to be 720p at the least and I doubt they'd stop short of 1080p.

Maybe i worded it badly, but my point was that most people wanted a rerelease in modern graphics.

I was only speaking about why i am not interested in a rerelease. I myself own the original discs and have been able to get them to work on my pc.

In no way did i say it couldn't be interesting for anyone. Way to get both your panties in a twist over nothing. I didn't mean to offend anyone. ;)

Why would we be offended? We know what HD means.

Crono1973:

Why would we be offended? We know what HD means.

So do i, it was just a poor choice of words. You can buy the new version if you like and i'll keep my old one and everyone is happy.

I hope this "Character Booster" is merely some form of glorified cheat code. If it turns out to be like the DR2: Off The Record GameBreaker pack where what should be a cheat code turns into something to monetize I will be pissed.

Then again, it sort of doesn't bode well when one of the advertise features of the rerelease is the ability to cheat. Knowing basically fuck all about FF7 over here, it certainly paints a picture of the game in your mind, if you know what I mean.

Well, this is a good a chance as any to actually give Final Fantasy 7 a try.

GamingAwesome1:
Then again, it sort of doesn't bode well when one of the advertise features of the rerelease is the ability to cheat. Knowing basically fuck all about FF7 over here, it certainly paints a picture of the game in your mind, if you know what I mean.

Well, this is a good a chance as any to actually give Final Fantasy 7 a try.

The game is relatively easy to beat without any kind of cheating but if you want to go for some of the optionals and going for 100% completion and so on... it can get -very- hard. It sounds to me like these cheats they're adding is basically just a shortcut allowing you to see all the game has to offer without having to spend hours grinding yourself up to be able to handle it.

JezWilkinson:
Square Enix boss Yoichi Wada dismissed rumors of a remake, claiming that a full reworking of the much-revered JRPG would kill off the franchise.

Maybe this is just the perspective of a dumb hakujin who doesn't know what he's talking about, but Final Fantasy is already on life-support. You might as well just pull the plug and shift that chunk of dead weight off your company's shoulders.

The reason I feel that my opinion might be misinformed is twofold. One, I've heard from a variety of sources that Asians really like grind in their games (for e.g., Lineage II, Ragnarok Online, Rappelz, etc., etc.). For that reason, the Final Fantasy franchise might be doing just fine in The East, because the grind is strong in that series. Two, I strongly suspect that most of the clamoring for a HD revamp of FFVII is coming from the West, not from Japan itself. For all I know about Japanese culture (not a lot), doing an FFVII HD revamp might be considered pandering to those damn foreigners, and be seen as a sign of weakness or betrayal or something, and then every Japanese gamer in existence will boycott Square-Enix games until Wada terminates the project and commits seppuku or something.

Okay, I don't think that's really the reason. I'm just throwing shit at a wall and hoping something sticks, because, from the outsider's perspective, Wada's statement just doesn't make any sense. Especially considering they've already re-released several HD updated versions of the early Final Fantasy games on systems like the PSP. THAT didn't kill your precious franchise, so what the hell is wrong with revamping the one game every single Final Fantasy fan I know of wants and will buy no matter how much you charge for it!? Either Wada's just blowing smoke, or there's some kind of cultural/business/political reason he won't greenlight that kind of project.

Or... I dunno... maybe he's just dumb.

Why are people so against this being released? I mean when Blu-Ray came out people weren't making a fuss over older movies being released, so why the backlash to this?

Many people haven't played the game or have access to a way of legally playing the game, what's wrong with allowing them to now?

Now personally I will not be buy the game, borrowed it off a friend last year and didn't enjoy it much, but if people want to buy the game, why not let them? It doesn't harm you in any way.

J-meMalone:
Why are people so against this being released? I mean when Blu-Ray came out people weren't making a fuss over older movies being released, so why the backlash to this?

Many people haven't played the game or have access to a way of legally playing the game, what's wrong with allowing them to now?

Now personally I will not be buy the game, borrowed it off a friend last year and didn't enjoy it much, but if people want to buy the game, why not let them? It doesn't harm you in any way.

Yeah, it makes no sense for people to be angry that this is coming out. You want to keep playing the Win 95 version of the game, go ahead but there is no reason to be angry about a re-release.

I did install the old version and it was a small pain to get working. For those who launch it and get a black screen, you need the TM20 codec. http://codec.alshow.co.kr/Page/en/true.htm

Hey, that's pretty cool. Nice little rerelease. Something nobody is being forced to buy.

...aaaaaaaand people are bitching about it. Of course.

...off course? No, way! ;P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or