DRM Kills Angry Birds

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DRM Kills Angry Birds

If recent updates made your Apple apps unplayable, you can blame FairPlay DRM.

Over the last few days over 70 apps - including such fan favorites as Angry Birds - have been rendered unplayable, and now the problem has been linked to Apple's FairPlay DRM. Thanks to improperly managed implementation, the DRM fails to recognize the game after the update has been applied. It then crashes the app, and even uninstall/reinstall won't solve this problem.

Affected developers claim that the problem is being resolved, but that for the moment there is no certain cure. The problem is thought to have affected users in the UK and US who had updated at some point between July 3rd and July 5th. One developer, Readdle - makers of ScannerPro - said that the fault meant that after installation the application "doesn't pass DRM validation and terminates immediately." The problem only affects users who updated within that July time frame, so in theory the best solution is simply to wait for an unbroken copy before reinstalling.

Apple has since claimed that the problem has been fixed and wasn't as widespread as first thought, though the affected developers dispute this. Moreover there are some indications, as yet unverified, that even installing a clean copy after the 5th wasn't enough to solve the issue in all cases.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike DRM, without Apple giving its customers a reason to curse FairPlay. Timing is everything, and for something like this to happen over the 4th July - when America goes on a day-long holiday - is doubly unfortunate. There will have been thousands of people trying to download Angry Birds and many other popular apps on the 4th. For FairPlay, of all things, to stop playing fair during a national holiday is an Apple nightmare.

Source: Guardian

The birds aren't the only ones who'll be angry!
Also: mandatory PC gamer dismissive snark.

The picture used for this article fits perfectly.

Pardon my ignorace, but what was the point of this DRM in the first place? Isn't the App store and the multiple Apple locked OSs already a sort of DRM system? What would FairPlay accomplish?

I see that DRM continues to penalize legitimate customers more than actual pirates.

Ah, one more reason to envy pirates. Nothing like paying good $ to be treated like a thief anyway.

Another own-goal by DRM in the anti-piracy debate, I see. Honestly, I'm starting to think they want people downloading their games.

Nobody is really expecting DRM that works at this point, but you'd think they could at least stop it from breaking peoples' legitimate copies. Why don't they just release dummy programs and call it DRM? At least a placebo doesn't actively make things worse...

TopazFusion:
"FairPlay"
. . . and it's not fair, and you can't play it.

Alternatively, it's being Fair and stopping everyone from Playing. Letting nobody play is just as fair as letting everyone do it, after all. :P

Thanks pirates! I never realised there was DRM on apps, now there is and its fucking us up because people wont even pay a dollar/59p for a game.

Well that sucks, stupid DRM causing problems it shouldn't as usual.

Seems like Apple, like so many others, is failing to see this as an indication that using DRM at all is a bad idea.

Yea, my android port of Angry Birds never stopped working. *pets his Droid 3 in a disturbing fashion* My precioussssssssss.

shiajun:
Pardon my ignorace, but what was the point of this DRM in the first place? Isn't the App store and the multiple Apple locked OSs already a sort of DRM system? What would FairPlay accomplish?

I was thinking the exact same thing.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike DRM

Because you never hear, "There are plenty of reasons to like DRM".

Now imagine how pissed everyone will be when this starts happening to $60 games.

Im sorry but if you spend your long awaited day long holiday downloading and playing fucking angry birds, i feel sad for you. Angry Birds is what you do when youre NOT on holiday!

hooksashands:
Now imagine how pissed everyone will be when this starts happening to $60 games.

It already has. Bioshock for the PC never functioned right and the Assassin's Creed games regularly crash to desktop because of DRM.

yay!! for having an Android

XMark:
I see that DRM continues to penalize legitimate customers more than actual pirates.

Nicolaus99:
Ah, one more reason to envy pirates. Nothing like paying good $ to be treated like a thief anyway.

Succinctly, the problem with DRM in its entirety.

thomaskattus:
Yea, my android port of Angry Birds never stopped working. *pets his Droid 3 in a disturbing fashion* My precioussssssssss.

Except we now know that Rovio is in favor of putting DRM on their games. If they find a way to do it on Android, they probably will.

Works just fine on my 3Gs...

Apple has since claimed that the problem has been fixed and wasn't as widespread as first thought

That is so Apple...

If I liked Angry Birds more, this would make me glad I have Android, but I find myself playing more Sudoku, so whatever...

Stripes:
Thanks pirates! I never realised there was DRM on apps, now there is and its fucking us up because people wont even pay a dollar/59p for a game.

No, this isn't the fault of the pirates, this is the fault of Apple. And don't give me that "Well they have to do something" speech, because EVERY company makes the exact same idiotic mistake when implementing their DRM. If you want to target pirates, then target pirates. 90% of DRM out there doesn't do jack shit about a single person cracking the game and then posting downloadable copies on pirate bay. Damn-near every pirate out there downloads precracked games, so implementing DRM like the way Apple did (as well as 90% of all DRM) doesn't do anything against the very people you're trying to hinder, and meanwhile just provides obstacles for the legitimate customers.

Piracy is a constant. It's always going to be there. You can't really scold "the pirates" for the existence of DRM, because they don't give a fuck if you're tripping over DRM. Instead, scold the company that put it there, because they clearly didn't do any research into how pirating works, and instead of implementing an effective, working DRM, they implemented a mess.

So thank Apple for this.

DRM: still hurting the average consumer, and not the pirates. Well done.

And yet more proof that DRM doesn't fucking work and only punishes the honest people who actually paid for the games....

Apple, everybody! Just another reason they're a terrible company with a terrible OS.

what version of the ios is this even affecting people??? I am running 4.2.2 on a gen 2 ipodtouch and all of my apps work great.

The terms "FairPlay" and "DRM" should never be allowed to exist in the same sentence, let alone a program update.

I know my nickname is "Captain Morgan", but.....

Damn.....

Maybe I should start reconsidering how to treat these companies if this is their preferred method of treating me.

Captcha: the dude abides. This dude ain't abiding, Captcha.

Stripes:

DRM isn't really there to stop piracy, its mostly to calm shareholders down. Everyone knows that drm doesn't stop pirates.

WhiteTigerShiro:

Stripes:

No, this isn't the fault of the pirates, this is the fault of Apple. And don't give me that "Well they have to do something" speech, because EVERY company makes the exact same idiotic mistake when implementing their DRM. If you want to target pirates, then target pirates. 90% of DRM out there doesn't do jack shit about a single person cracking the game and then posting downloadable copies on pirate bay. Damn-near every pirate out there downloads precracked games, so implementing DRM like the way Apple did (as well as 90% of all DRM) doesn't do anything against the very people you're trying to hinder, and meanwhile just provides obstacles for the legitimate customers.

Piracy is a constant. It's always going to be there. You can't really scold "the pirates" for the existence of DRM, because they don't give a fuck if you're tripping over DRM. Instead, scold the company that put it there, because they clearly didn't do any research into how pirating works, and instead of implementing an effective, working DRM, they implemented a mess.

So thank Apple for this.

There will always be thieves so therefore we shouldnt have burglar alarms. Just because something is innefective doesnt mean it is unjustifiable, this is the wrong tactic but it doesnt make them at fault for trying to safegaurd their products. Pirates brought about DRM because they caused it to be created, therefore this is their fault. You seem to be saying that you cant say someones in the wrong because they wont listen. Why should I be angry at the victims not the perpetrators. Just because DRM is innefective doesnt mean those who use it are at fault. Pirates are in the wrong anyway, why should I not direct my scorn at them for yet another problem they have caused.

Wow... I am surprised that so far there has only been one post bashing apple just for the sake of bashing apple. I would have expected all of the anti-fanboys to be out in force here bur most posts have been rightfully discussing the broken DRM rather than the "broken" company!

[Insert "My faith in humanity has been restored" image]

This makes me giggle to no end. :3

Worgen:

Stripes:

DRM isn't really there to stop piracy, its mostly to calm shareholders down. Everyone knows that drm doesn't stop pirates.

Exactly, put a wall up and the most talented and athletic will work their way over it, than build a system to life others over it. Putting up "challenges" walls is simply not working.

They'res always gona be one person who can break on through. And all the executives hate him.

Stripes:
There will always be thieves so therefore we shouldnt have burglar alarms. Just because something is innefective doesnt mean it is unjustifiable, this is the wrong tactic but it doesnt make them at fault for trying to safegaurd their products. Pirates brought about DRM because they caused it to be created, therefore this is their fault. You seem to be saying that you cant say someones in the wrong because they wont listen. Why should I be angry at the victims not the perpetrators. Just because DRM is innefective doesnt mean those who use it are at fault. Pirates are in the wrong anyway, why should I not direct my scorn at them for yet another problem they have caused.

But you should be directing your scorn at the companies implementing DRM as well as the pirates.

DRM has been proven time and again to do nothing to stop pirates, and is nothing but an inconvenience and insult to the paying customer. It's like kicking your faithful, well behaved dog because the cat's just shit in the living room.

doggie015:
Wow... I am surprised that so far there has only been one post bashing apple just for the sake of bashing apple. I would have expected all of the anti-fanboys to be out in force here bur most posts have been rightfully discussing the broken DRM rather than the "broken" company!

[Insert "My faith in humanity has been restored" image]

I'm guessing it's because it's a gaming website, and gamers have far more hatred for DRM than they do for apple.

I'm sure that somewhere out there, on a microsoft site, the apple haters are having a field day with this.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here