Update: Minecraft Renders Stunning Game of Thrones Screenshots

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Minecraft Renders Stunning Game of Thrones Screenshots

By the Others, Minecraft has never looked quite like this.

Take a look at the picture to the right. At first glance, it looks like a high quality screen capture from the popular show Game of Thrones. But after a few moments, you may notice that something's not quite right with it, although it's hard to put a finger on exactly what it is. Maybe it's a third-party 3D model someone designed? So you get right up to your screen, zoom in on the image, and squint real hard, and finally you might notice that everything about the image down to the snow on the ground is constructed from rows and rows of stacked blocks. Finally the shoe drops: You're looking at some of the most spectacular Minecraft screenshots that can ever be seen.

Okay, these images were put through third-party renderers and shaders, but that doesn't change that fact that you're still looking at Minecraft screenshots that remind us once again what you can do with a copy of the game and a lot of spare time. The screenshots were recently released to promote the utterly massive WesterosCraft project, whose goal is to construct the entire continent of Game of Throne's Westeros from the towering Wall all the way down to the individual buildings of King's Landing.

To give you an idea of the scale of this project, take a look at comments on PC Gamer's website written by WesteroCraft veteran Tothas. According to Tothas, traveling from the southern city of Sunspear all the way to The Wall in the north takes "an hour forty by rail" and the city of King's Landing took seven people three months to build. (King's Landing is also slated to be rebuilt because it's "too small".)

To see Westerocraft, you'll need a copy of Minecraft for PC and a specialized texture pack that will allow you to view everything correctly. Alternatively, while it won't give you a full sense of scale, you can take a look at a real-time Livemap while volunteers build and players wander around with slack-jawed awe.

Sources: Imgur, PC Gamer

Update: We've just received word that the Westerocraft team is releasing public builds of their material for players to use in single-player or on their own servers. A Reddit page has gone live allowing visitors to vote on the particular build that will be released first.

Your choices are:

1) King's Landing, Winterfell, Torrhen's Square
2) King's Landing, Castle Black, Queen's Crown
3) King's Landing, Sunspear, Watergardens
4) King's Landing, Harrenhal, Harrentown

Thanks to Tothas for the info!

Night time is coming. And so am I!

Too bad lego would never touch HBO

It... looks kind of like 3D Dot Game Heroes.

o.0

damn .... looks good but holy crap >.>

I keep looking at it and thinking "This is minecraft? Looks alot like someone used Lego instead." Brillaint. Though I can't remember if A Clash of Kings described Dragonstone being adorned by statues of Dragon.

Irridium:
It... looks kind of like 3D Dot Game Heroes.

...You know now that I think about it, it does. Expect without the ridiculously long block swords. :P

Harrenhal and Dragonstone are my favorite locations in the entire series.

Awesome, breathtaking...

Can't wait for Jon to kill some undead in the Winds of Winter.

That is amazing - the mind boggles at the amount of work that must have gone into it.

I wish someone would mod minecraft to make it look as good in the screen shots normally.

The way the third picture is framed reminds me so much of Myst:

I want to join that server D:
But I don't have Minecraft yet T_T

My face... it cannot withstand the awesomeness!!!

And now I have this strange* urge to build some of this in Lego.

*Strange since I haven't used Lego for 6-7 years.

The Wall looks amazing. God, I love the Ice and Fire universe. If only the recent game had been better...

Nile McMorrow:
I keep looking at it and thinking "This is minecraft? Looks alot like someone used Lego instead." Brillaint. Though I can't remember if A Clash of Kings described Dragonstone being adorned by statues of Dragon.

It has some dragon statues, but nothing that large.

That's pretty dope, I'd join the sever if my comp was working.

Mr.Tea:

I had the same reaction.

*memories*

S'cuse me I need to go re-install Riven.

H-h-HOLY SHIT! Those look amazing.

Reminds me of that Lord of the Rings build that popped up a while back.

Captcha: "The bee's knees."
...can't fault it there.

Mr.Tea:

That was exactly my first thought too-

HEY

I SHOULD MAKE MINECRAFTIAN MYST.

Thanks for the idea!

I completely don't give a flying fuck about Game of Thrones, and as such I have no idea what these places are, but DAMN.

Damn, wish I had a decent PC! Stuck playing on the 360 version :(

And yes before anyone says anything, I've tried the demo and it lags. That's how bad my laptop is

Is it just me, or does the HD textures/mods sort of take away from how impressive it really is?

I mean, when you have all of these detailed textures at your disposal, yeah it's pretty accurate. I mean, that's why it's there: to make it look accurate. But when you have the default, it's much more impressive because you have to work with what you got, and it's still pretty damn awesome. To me, HD textures/mods kind of make it a lot easier than it actually is, or at least make it look like it, while default textures are much harder, but give you a greater appreciation of how they used whatever they could at their disposal and they still made it look awesome.

I know I should be amazed at how these look, but when I see them in all of their HD glory, I just sort of think, "Yeah, cool, but it looks like something someone made with a modeling program on their PC." It just doesn't seem like Minecraft, and it kind of takes away from how cool it really is.

lacktheknack:

Mr.Tea:

That was exactly my first thought too-

HEY

I SHOULD MAKE MINECRAFTIAN MYST.

Thanks for the idea!

This is amazing, I had never made that connection

Korten12:
I wish someone would mod minecraft to make it look as good in the screen shots normally.

There is, It's called Sonic Esther's Unbelievable Shaders, and, once configured properly makes Minecraft look beautiful (Sure, it takes me down a good 300 fps, to 28 but it's still amazing.)
I use it for all my screenshots, but not to play normally. I'm too lazy to mess with my texturepack to get it to not be so bright it gives me a headache. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/940974-125sonic-ethers-unbelievable-shaders-glsl-shaders-dynamic-shadows-more/

OT, Wow, is there a server for this? It looks like it might be as cool as the LOTR server. Y'know, the one that had the entirety of Middle Earth, with the main regions constructed to full scale, with scaled-down (I think 1/12) regions in between. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhksNvUwaRc (skip to bout 27 minutes in fi you don't care for the Minecraft pleasantries.

Pseudoboss, you can find us at www.westeroscraft.com and our ip is mc.westeroscraft.com

I don't think I would ever have the patience to build anything on that scale in that much detail. I wish I did, but then again I also wish that I had a half decent computer and the PC version of Minecraft.(not that there's not a lot of fun to be had with the 360 version)

How do people even make these type of things?!

Is there some kind of software that you can download that allows you to create Minecraft constructions in macro form?

Tothas:
Pseudoboss, you can find us at www.westeroscraft.com and our ip is mc.westeroscraft.com

Being as you seem to be part of the team who made this, perhaps you can answer my question.

Those look pretty cool, especially with the shading and lighting effects.

SacremPyrobolum:
How do people even make these type of things?!

Is there some kind of software that you can download that allows you to create Minecraft constructions in macro form?

It'd be done on a Survival Multi-player Server and it would have taken forever to do :L

AFAIK, no.

Did they ever finish the LOTR one...? And this looks awesome. I'm thinking, though: they're building the locations as they look in the TV series, but we never see every aspect of them so presumably there's a bit of book-series mixing going on somewhere. Plus the regions between each major location would have to be scaled down and entirely improvised as to what they look like, right? And then what happens if GRRM comes out with a new location that is somewhere they've already built an improvised travelway on?

this is why i love minecraft!

if you put your mind to it, you can make anything.

Being as you seem to be part of the team who made this, perhaps you can answer my question.

We have a group of builders who live around the world, about 50 in total consistent builders. There are some programs you can use such as World Edit and Voxel to make your builds easier but we dont use them in builds, only to edit and terraform. Since our bigger builds tend to be filmed we place every block by hand.

To make it look the way it does for the wallpapers we use something called Sonic's Unbelievable GLGS Shaders and then we render that picture in a program called Chunky to make it super pretty.

snappydog:
Did they ever finish the LOTR one...? And this looks awesome. I'm thinking, though: they're building the locations as they look in the TV series, but we never see every aspect of them so presumably there's a bit of book-series mixing going on somewhere. Plus the regions between each major location would have to be scaled down and entirely improvised as to what they look like, right? And then what happens if GRRM comes out with a new location that is somewhere they've already built an improvised travelway on?

The LOTR one is still up and I am unsure if they finished or not, we are working off http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map/versions/speculative_map.jpg map atm. We are doing Westeros first because that map will be as close to correct as it can be as all the regions are given maps in the books. The way we plan a build is to take all the information available about a place from the books, every little detail, then we turn to artistic interpretations, HBO stills and our collective imagination. But the book details are first and foremost our concern (hence our moon door isnt a hole in the ground). Every location that is mentioned in the books is going to be built regardless of size or information provided. The only fact we knew about Lannisport is that it had a sewer. The only fact we have about Highgarden (unbuilt atm) is that it has gardens, singers, and they boat down the Mander. We are currently migrating to a larger map to help with scale issues, we said before we were on a 1:200 scale but our builds are always closer to 1:1. The new map will be 40 sqkm larger than L.A. (roughly 27,000 x 55,000). We are building ever location as close as we can to that map I've provided thus, no road or build will take the place of any location GRRM might throw at us and in October they are releasing a coffee table map book of all the locations and major cities and such. We've only just started debating about what we will do when the streetmaps of the cities come out, but probably we'll change them. We are rebuilding Kings Landing as our next build to fit the scale we've set with Lannisport (since its the middle of the 5 big cities of Westeros we can fit the scale around it for the other cities) The original KL was built by about 7 folks in 3 months and our community has grown much much larger so we've decided to rebuild. I hope that answers your question =b

Okay, these images were put through third-party renderers and shaders, but that doesn't change that fact that you're still looking at Minecraft screenshots

Actually, it does. These are no longer screenshots; they're renders of the minecraft geometry.

AC10:

Okay, these images were put through third-party renderers and shaders, but that doesn't change that fact that you're still looking at Minecraft screenshots

Actually, it does. These are no longer screenshots; they're renders of the minecraft geometry.

But it is still a minecraft build there.

Wow that's just amazing. Looks even better than the LotR project.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here