PlayStation 3 Gets its First Region-Locked Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PlayStation 3 Gets its First Region-Locked Game

Persona 4 Arena may lose some pre-orders after Atlus locks imports.

The Persona series is unique for a number of reasons, and the PlayStation 3 version of Persona 4 Arena adds one more distinction: it will be the first region-locked game on the console. An Atlus employee confirmed the news on the publisher's forums, stating "yes, the PS3 version game will be region-locked. I certainly can't offer details as to why, but there might be an official response at some point."

The publisher explained that the North American version of the game would also work in South America, but would be locked out of other regions. Japanese and North American versions of Persona 4 Arena will be "nearly identical," with text and voice options in both languages for both regions.

While this probably isn't a deal-breaker for many gamers, Persona fans on the Atlus forum are considerably upset at the publisher's decision. Many were disappointed that they wouldn't be able to import their preferred version of the game, and a few even threatened to cancel their pre-orders. The Xbox 360 version will also be region-locked, though that doesn't seem to be upsetting players as much as the previously region-free PlayStation 3 getting its first locked game.

Source: Atlus forums via EGM Now

I see no benefits of region locking. It's just a way of saying "fuck you" to your player base to me.

I wonder what their reason could be for this.

Also Sarah, your avatar is adorable.

Well that's pretty weak. Wonder why they'd do this.

Matthew94:
I see no benefits of region locking. It's just a way of saying "fuck you" to your player base to me.

It's so that if you move to a different place, you have to spend more money on another copy of the game, and to discourage cross-country second hand sales.

Gearhead mk2:

Matthew94:

It's so that if you move to a different place, you have to spend more money on another copy of the game, and to discourage cross-country second hand sales.

So basically, it's just a way of saying "fuck you" to your player base?

Gearhead mk2:

Matthew94:

Like I said "It's just a way of saying "fuck you" to your player base".

You could probably argue that it harms a company more than it helps it.

Well, as long as I can still play it, because I feel like I've been waiting an eternity for this, then...............................I'm not particularly bothered really.

Atlus, how could you!? I doubt it's a "good" reason, but I'm curious to what it is.

Sorry, did it look like I was defending them? I'm not, it's a stupid practice that means I can't watch Invader Zim because they didn't make europe-compatible copies. I'm just saying it's not a mindless fuck you like what EA does, it's a fuck you meant to enhance profit.

Well, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH. I live in a country, where only AAA games are sold, and all others I have to order from, for example, Amazon. I was really hoping to order this game, because not only I like the idea of mixing Persona and fighting games, I also wanted to support the developer with my money to show that I, as a consumer, like it and would not be against other experiments of such kind. Now, however, I am thinking of buying cracked Xbox and downloading this game as soon as it comes out. You don't respect me, I won't respect you.

so... i guess we can expect at least a year wait for the uk release huh?

ever wonder why console modding is so damn popular?

Fappy:

Thanks! My cat will be happy to hear he has another fan.

Sarah LeBoeuf:

Fappy:

Thanks! My cat will be happy to hear he has another fan.

My cat usually just chewed on my controller cords >.>

Matthew94:

It's like saying "fuck you" to a place you don't see as worthwhile.

Typically it used to be Europe that got this shit, personally I don't import unless there's months between the releases but region locking is so outdated and uneccessary.

I hope it stays on games I'll never play.

My prediction: Versus 13 will come out next year. Then be region locked. And take 6 months for a US release. Then 2 years for an EU release. Just like the good old PS2 days.

Irridium:
Well that's pretty weak. Wonder why they'd do this.

nudity and violence. i guess.

the american version will have lots of gore, the european version wil have lots of naked skin.

But... I... Son of a bitch! The only reason I wasn't disappointed in the lack of a European release date was because I could just import as PS3 has never region locked anything. If they do this to Persona 4 Golden as well, I will legitimately cry. I was already facing a 1-2 year wait for Eternal Punishment PSP to arrive, now I need to add P4A and probably P4G to that list as well.

Matthew94:

The only legit reason I see to region lock a game is if your game contains content that could be considered illegal somewhere else and it is a sure fire way to cover your own ass if it ends up in said country and they come looking for you. You can play the, 'we region locked the game and the consumer bypassed it' card.

This bullshit coming from the company that named itself after the guy who CARRIES THE PLANET?

I was considering to get it, and I got a PS3 because I import quite a lot of games, and never had to worry about any stupid region locking up till now.
Now I will probably pass on it, if they go through with it.

Update: With the update on the matter I guess it is understandable and I really hope that this will be an exception - and I am glad that they responded so fast, after a lot of people voiced their concern.

Wow...that's pretty shitty Atlus.

I mean, this company is KNOWN for being all levels of COOL with their fan-base, seriously they're kick-ass.

But if they start little crap like THIS they're gonna start alienating us 'hardcore' fans who import 'non-region specific games'.

What in the blazing fudgels? Why are you doing this Atlus? Why are you doing something that'll just upset your fanbase? Especially when as a company you -NEED- your fanbase more than say EA or Activision ever did given your small size? This makes no sense from any point of view. :s

5 bucks on this being because of Zen United.

Am I the only one who didn't realize the PS3 had not used region locking yet? Hmmm... I have never taken advantage of that... Too late now though I guess. I have a feeling that other games will follow suit. Also maybe I should finally look into the persona series. With all the fan rage the game series must be pretty good. This might end up being the next OtherOS fiasco.

Why in the hell? It scares me the fact that there still is no exact EU release date for it. I had to wait for 6 months for Catherine to come this way.

There is no region-locks on the vita right? Only reason I bought one is for Persona 4 Golden.

mixadj:
Am I the only one who didn't realize the PS3 had not used region locking yet? Hmmm... I have never taken advantage of that... Too late now though I guess.

Also, this

this is complete bullshit! there's almost an entire month between the us release and eu release, and i would have been fine importing but no just another slap in the face from ridiculous east-west transfers from japanese devs

EDIT:also could someone confirm the jp release will be region locked to all other regions, but will the us be locked to eu?

Obligatory Persona User Group link:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona

OT: I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind this decision.

It's going to be region locked but also have world-wide servers? I don't get it...

How peculiar. There has to be a reason for this other than "we just want more money"; I mean, they must realise that the only way their more isolated customers can acquire their games is by importing, and even if that means they have to buy it online, it's still a sale. I'm thinking there has to be some unforeseen legal aspect to all this, but the fact that this is a first for the PS3 makes that reasoning suspect. I look forward to an official announcement, if one is forthcoming in the future.

The main reason for region locking is this:

In poor countries, there's no way in hell that a company could charge $60 USD for a game. So they don't. Instead, they charge far less and then region-lock it so that you can't go to Taiwan and buy games for next-to-nothing and then just come back to play it here.

It's horseshit, though, and I am seriously disappointed in Atlas. They used to be so cool and so comparatively nice to their consumer base.

Edit: Let me be clear, though: I have never seen a case of region-locking that came about because of content worries, other than Left 4 Dead and Australia. Though, I'm not even sure that L4D was region-locked, or if Australia just got straight-up different games. Feel free to provide more examples, but the vast vast majority of region-locking is done to increase sales in poor countries while not losing money from richer ones.

Thrashgrinder:
Why in the hell? It scares me the fact that there still is no exact EU release date for it. I had to wait for 6 months for Catherine to come this way.

There is no region-locks on the vita right? Only reason I bought one is for Persone 4 the Golden.

mixadj:
Am I the only one who didn't realize the PS3 had not used region locking yet? Hmmm... I have never taken advantage of that... Too late now though I guess.

Also, this

i felt genuinely sad when i found that certain countries waited for catherine. i LOVE that game. such a breath of fresh air. so refreshing, in fact, it was my game of the year for 2011.

chadachada123:
The main reason for region locking is this:

In poor countries, there's no way in hell that a company could charge $60 USD for a game. So they don't. Instead, they charge far less and then region-lock it so that you can't go to Taiwan and buy games for next-to-nothing and then just come back to play it here.

It's horseshit, though, and I am seriously disappointed in Atlas. They used to be so cool and so comparatively nice to their consumer base.

Edit: Let me be clear, though: I have never seen a case of region-locking that came about because of content worries, other than Left 4 Dead and Australia. Though, I'm not even sure that L4D was region-locked, or if Australia just got straight-up different games. Feel free to provide more examples, but the vast vast majority of region-locking is done to increase sales in poor countries while not losing money from richer ones.

That would be kind of ironic to have region-locking just for Australia, because that's one of the few countries that explicitly makes it legal to make whatever modifications you feel like to electronics for the explicit purpose of bypassing region locking.

So... Region lock a game for the one place you know anyone that feels like it is well within their legal rights to hack your region lockout system?
Makes sense. XD

Oh shit, I'm lucky its coming over to Europe then, I sure hope this doesn't happen to Persona 4 the Golden.

Fuck region lock, fuck it and all it's pointlessness.

TizzytheTormentor:
Oh shit, I'm lucky its coming over to Europe then, I sure hope this doesn't happen to Persona 4 the Golden.

So it IS getting a European release? Oh thank fuck for that, was getting scared for a second there.

ScruffyMcBalls:

TizzytheTormentor:

So it IS getting a European release? Oh thank fuck for that, was getting scared for a second there.

Yup, late August I believe, lucky for us, we would of missed out on a great game.

Jeez, some people need to calm down... http://www.destructoid.com/persona-4-arena-atlus-statement-clarifies-region-lock-230864.phtml

It's really not that big of a deal, and if you're an American and complaining about it, thank God you're not an Atlus fan in europe... Now, that is an expensive past time and a need for lack of region locking!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here