The Walking Dead Getting Another Game Adaptation

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Find out how the Dixon brothers made it to Atlanta in Activision's upcoming FPS.

There's no shortage of zombie-related video games on the market, and Activision will be adding one more in 2013. The publisher announced that it's working on a first-person shooter based on The Walking Dead TV show. Developed by Terminal Reality, the game will focus on brothers Daryl and Merle Dixon and take place before the events of the television show.

The teaser trailer on the game's website doesn't reveal much, but one could assume it will shed some light on how the brothers make their way to Atlanta, where the show takes place. Activision's action FPS will allow players to use sight, smell, and sound to detect walkers and let them decide whether to use stealth to evade the undead or take them head-on.

This is not to be confused with Telltale's episodic Walking Dead series, which is inspired by Robert Kirkman's comic book. The television show is significantly different from the book on which it's based, so the two games probably won't share many similarities besides being set in Georgia during a zombie apocalypse. Terminal Reality's The Walking Dead will be rising on the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC next year, so expect to hear more about it in the coming months.

Source: The Walking Dead via IGN

In before "it's FPS, gotta be garbage."

I'm actually interested to see what they do with the whole "senses" bit, as well as the style of combat. The Walking Dead has a distinctly different combat methodology than something like Dead Rising: characters in the series are often presented as either being worn down from continuous melee combat or overwhelmed through sheer numbers in ranged combat. There's only two exceptions to this in the comics: hence the reason why it's so badass when they happen.

Adapting a more survivalist mentality to an FPS would be an interesting challenge.

Yeah but we all know that the game is just going to be your regular guns and guts type game where you go Rambo on every-undead-fucking thing that is around.

I really hope this works well, I'd love to play the game but only if it's done well. I've seen so many games that had so much potential but either squandered it or were canceled before their time.

The world of Walking Dead would not work as a FPS. The whole story is based on desperate survival and more about the people than the zombies. I am fairly sure they will completelly miss the point and even if it turned out to be a good FPS, I doubt it would be a good Walking Dead game. But we will see...

After teaser-edit:
Alright, so It will follow the redneck bros... Good excuse to make shooty-shooty I guess. But I think they will most likelly miss much of the great character interaction and building that make the comic and show so great. Again, I am intriguied, but highly sceptical as of right now.

lets hope its not another wall hug game. even if it makes no fucking sense to hug a wall while fighting zombies i still hope they are not dumb enough to do it.

So finally the legions of Xbox Live preteens will be able to play a protagonist as racist as they are.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
So finally the legions of Xbox Live preteens will be able to play a protagonist as racist as they are.

Aww come on now, Daryl's not THAT racist. Ok, he's a bit of a jerk and prejudiced at the start of the show but he does end up mellowing out in the later season of the show.

Unless of-course you were talking about Merle, then yeah...ok not gonna argue with you on that one.

Infernai:

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Aww come on now, Daryl's not THAT racist. Ok, he's a bit of a jerk and prejudiced at the start of the show but he does end up mellowing out in the later season of the show.

Unless of-course you were talking about Merle, then yeah...ok not gonna argue with you on that one.

Yeah I was talking about Merle. Wouldn't dis Daryl, he's one of my favourite characters.

Kungfu_Teddybear:

And kill things as brain starved as they are!

The FPS part doesn't worry me, it's the Activision part that does. I think I'm going to ignore this one.

Is shooting Merle in the mouth going to be a feature?

I do wonder what Activision will do about those guys being, well, racist. Since this happened before these two met the star of the show (Rick), Im fairly certain Daryl would be more affected by the thoughts and opinions of his brother.

But I like The Walking Dead. I hope the game will be interesting, especially the stealth/senses-side of fighting.

I guess we`ll wait and see.

lol Activision? In before the Call of Zombies: Walking Dead jokes.

Seriously though, this has terrible written all over it. At least they picked uninteresting characters to use.

Its a character driven IP, not an zombie action killing driven IP, so I'm VERY skeptic about it being an fps.

Also I'm curious to know how they're going to deal with their racism.

I don't trust Activision with this.

A game based on the Walking Dead show? Featuring Daryl as a main character?! Awesome! I approve of th...

Sarah LeBoeuf:
...in Activision's upcoming FPS.

...oh wait, never mind.

scotth266:

Andronicus:
A game based on the Walking Dead show? Featuring Daryl as a main character?! Awesome! I approve of th...

Sarah LeBoeuf:

...oh wait, never mind.

And scotth266 is our winner today!

OT: It should be fun as long as we're playing as Daryl, and not Merle. It would take a master story-teller to make us relate to a racist bordering on KKK levels.

People always wanted a dedicated COD Zombies game.

Don't you DARE fuck this up Activision. Survival horror, SURVIVAL. HORROR. REMEMBER THAT.

Captcha: Diddly-squat. What they will most likely produce.

yeah think ill skip this for the excellent tell tale games game

Let's hope it doesn't fall into the cesspool of shit zombie games. There are not enough good ones. Dead Risings, Walking Dead (Well, the episode one releasing ATM, Red Dead Undead...the only ones I can think of.

Robert Ewing:
Don't you DARE fuck this up Activision.

I admit that I chuckled a bit. Might as well ask EA not to say stupid things that their actions contradict a week later.

So.. it'll be what? 35 for a 4 hour 90% scripted campaign and they just haven't announced their convoluted logic for the existence of multiplayer yet?

I just cant see how Activision can pull this off, it is way outside their comfort zone.

Sarah LeBoeuf:

I would love to believe they've selected these characters because it's a challenge to make them relatable hero characters for most players... but I'm afraid (and pretty sure) that they were chosen because they make better "action hero" type characters.

By making this an first-person SHOOTER, they've let us know where the emphasis will lie. Shooting. That's not Walking Dead. Walking dead is about surviving zombies, not hunting them. And nine times out of nine, if you're having to shoot at zombies, a series of things has already gone wrong up to this point...

I was getting excited until I saw Activision :$

back to playing Episode 2 for now

call of duty walking dead edition lol

Logically speaking I should just shit all over this, Activision has earned as much after all, but I'm going to choose to remain cautiously optimistic until I see a trailer and can get a feel for how the game will turn out.

Ugh, FPS. Can't say I'm interested, but I'll play the demo if one is released only to see if the Dixon brothers can make the game good. Why yes, even though Merle is a complete scumbag piece of shit, he's one of those complete scumbag pieces of shit one can love to hate.

At least they're not sullying the good name of the characters who ARE in the comics. Merle was a racist, sure, but it was funny seeing him get handcuffed to the top of that department store and later escape. I like Daryl, though. If they somehow manage to play the abusive relationship between him and Merle into this, it COULD be quite good. However, this is Activision we're on about, so I'm gonna tred cautiously. Will keep my eye on this, but for now, I'm happy trying to make sure Kenny stays my best friend in the Telltale game.

Urgh way to sqeeze the fanchise dry....Although it would make sense if it is a survival horror, but it doesn't look like this game is head in that direction.

Ok this could possibly be interesting, like maybe a Day Z sort of deal- Oh fuck its Activision FUCK! I have no faith in Activision at all, unless they hand it to another company and just publish it like Prototype, that could work. But I don't trust them at all, I'm not gonna force myself into believing this will suck cos thats just too pessimistic, but I really, (dr cox moment) reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllly think it will suck

Capcha: Oh brother. HA!

V TheSystem V:
At least they're not sullying the good name of the characters who ARE in the comics. Merle was a racist, sure, but it was funny seeing him get handcuffed to the top of that department store and later escape. I like Daryl, though. If they somehow manage to play the abusive relationship between him and Merle into this, it COULD be quite good. However, this is Activision we're on about, so I'm gonna tred cautiously. Will keep my eye on this, but for now, I'm happy trying to make sure Kenny stays my best friend in the Telltale game.

FUCK KENNY! FUCK KENNY- sorry I should spoiler tag first.

Oh spoilers for episode 2 btw.

Dangit2019:

scotth266:

Andronicus:

Sarah LeBoeuf:

...oh wait, never mind.

And scotth266 is our winner today!

OT: It should be fun as long as we're playing as Daryl, and not Merle. It would take a master story-teller to make us relate to a racist bordering on KKK levels.

Ooh I saw a drama on BBC with Clive Owen do that once. At least I think it was him, and he was a racist twat who was a good character. But Merle's meant to be a wanker through and through. And Darlye was more likeable and, at least in the TV show he isn't racist.

So, it's going to be a AAA version of DayZ for Arma2?

I hate the show. I think it's beyond retarded and characters are all unlikable morons. With the exception of Daryl. Which is why I'm intrigued. This could be better than the show, but that's the easiest thing in the world considering just how bad the show is. Remember recoilless shotguns with infinite ammo in season 2? How can any director be that stupid?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here