Judge Rules Samsung Tab "Not as Cool" as iPad

Judge Rules Samsung Tab "Not as Cool" as iPad

A UK High Court Judge decides in Samsung's favor, as the Apple-Samsung Patent War rumbles on.

In the ongoing holy war between Apple and Samsung over copyright and design of their respective Tablets, Samsung has won a victory in the UK High Court. Judge Birss ruled that Apple has no basis for its claim that Samsung's Galaxy is too similar in design to its iPad, and therefore there is no reason to ban sales of the Galaxy in the UK. It's something of a Pyrrhic victory for Samsung, as Judge Birss said in his ruling that there could be no confusion between the iPad and the Galaxy because the Galaxy wasn't as cool as Apple's iPad.

Not the sort of endorsement Samsung is likely to use in its ad campaigns, but at least it got the job done. "Samsung welcomes today's judgment," the company said in an official statement, "As the ruling proves, the origin of Apple's registered design features can be found in numerous examples of prior art." Samsung described Apple's legal campaign as "excessive" and said that the consumer's interests would be harmed if Apple's claims were allowed to prevail.

Judge Birss' judgment was simple but damning. "[The Galaxy family of Tablets] do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design," he said, adding "they are not as cool." Apple, naturally, disagrees, and a company spokesman reiterated that "it's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging." Apple has 21 days to appeal the ruling.

In the US, Apple's fight is still ongoing, though a decision made last Friday overturned a previous injunction against sales of Galaxy Nexus Smartphone. Apple still controls a majority of the Smartphone and Tablet market, but that hasn't stopped it from trying to smother the competition with lawsuits.

Source: Guardian

I wonder how a judge can judge the "coolness" of a product. This is also funny as it means that Apple have to heap praise on to the tab if it wants to have a case.

Yes because there is such a difference between how a pad can look. I know the hardware inside can be similar but thats about it. What is samsung supposed to do? Make their tablets round or a triangle. Rectangles have been the norm for screens for so long. How long before Apple starts going after flat screen TVs because they are rectangles.

Indeed, it is very confusing. Perhaps they should both just emblazon their logos on their products so that there's no confu-

Oh, right.

Being cool is too mainstream for Apple.

And fuck you to Google chrome.

A judge calling Apple stuff cool? That's an iFail if ever there was.

But it amazes me how anti-trust authorities haven't fined the hell out of Apple yet for abusing its market position and abuse of the legal system to try and shut out the competition.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Apple.

You wanna prove you're still top dog without Jobs? This isn't the way to do it.

Both look and work almost exactly the same as a Windows CE phone I had almost 10 years ago, so I'm not really sure the idea of a screen you can touch that has icons on it should really be patent-able to begin with. It comes down to using litigation to stifle competition, like most other patent lawsuits since the mid-90's.

Judge Fudge lables this too cool to be anything like you.

Till i can get flash on an iOS product, Android products will always be better and cooler than any Apple Product.

Seeing how judges are never considered "cool" its basically an endorsement for Samsung. Much like if my grandma endorses an iProduct, tis be the kiss of death when it comes to "cool."

DTWolfwood:
Till i can get flash on an iOS product, Android products will always be better and cooler than any Apple Product.

Seeing how judges are never considered "cool" its basically an endorsement for Samsung. Much like if my grandma endorses an iProduct, tis be the kiss of death when it comes to "cool."

On vacation recently I saw a number of grandmas playing with their iPads to video chat with their grandkids. If there's a better way to convince more technologically-oriented people to stick to Android, I can't think of it.

DigitalSoapbox:

DTWolfwood:

On vacation recently I saw a number of grandmas playing with their iPads to video chat with their grandkids. If there's a better way to convince more technologically-oriented people to stick to Android, I can't think of it.

I feel silly reading and agreeing to this on my Ipad.
I still like it though.

DigitalSoapbox:

DTWolfwood:

Since when did user-friendliness and ease of use become things to be ashamed of? Personally, I don't have any tablets yet, though. I do hope to get an android, due to the lower cost and greater flexibility.

Aside from the idiotic judgement of "coolness", at least judges in the UK are more sensible that US judges. Let's hope that it's merely the one US judge.

I don't own a smart phone, or a tablet computer, but this seems to me to be a situation in which Apple is trying to stifle competition. Why allow the buying public to choose which product they want, when you can squash the competition and only have your product on the shelf?

I think Judge Colin Birss is trolling both companies at the same time. Neither company can be particularly pleased about his statement and both of them cannot really contradict him without hurting their own interests.
Righteous!

Scow2:

DigitalSoapbox:

DTWolfwood:

Since when did user-friendliness and ease of use become things to be ashamed of? Personally, I don't have any tablets yet, though. I do hope to get an android, due to the lower cost and greater flexibility.

It's the lower cost and greater flexibility thing that I'm referring to - also, people who are tech geeks are not going to want something their grandmother is using (or can use).

Anyone who makes life more difficult for Samsung/Android is ok in my book.

Aeshi:

Except this ruling made life easier, troll.

Waaghpowa:
Aside from the idiotic judgement of "coolness", at least judges in the UK are more sensible that US judges. Let's hope that it's merely the one US judge.

Don't you see the brilliance of the cool remark?

The judge clearly decided that he didn't want any sort of appeals nonsense from Apple and needed a way to ensure that they wouldn't drag this crap out. By remarking that Samsung's Galaxy Tab wasn't as cool, he placed Apple's legal team in a bind. In order to appeal, they would have to legally prove that their competitors product was at least as cool as theirs. Not the sort of situation that Apple's legal team would enjoy. :D

Desworks:

Waaghpowa:

Don't you see the brilliance of the cool remark?

The judge clearly decided that he didn't want any sort of appeals nonsense from Apple and needed a way to ensure that they wouldn't drag this crap out. By remarking that Samsung's Galaxy Tab wasn't as cool, he placed Apple's legal team in a bind. In order to appeal, they would have to legally prove that their competitors product was at least as cool as theirs. Not the sort of situation that Apple's legal team would enjoy. :D

So what you're saying is, to appeal they would have to admit that the Samsung one was cooler or just as cool to justify the appeal?

I hope apple loose all their stupid lawsuits.

And to the 'cool' part, everytime i see someone using an apple product, i generally think "twat"!

Dont know what happens to people who buy an apple product, especially a ipad, is that they have to show everyone around that they are using it, while acting like they dont want the attention. When most people could not care less.

i do recall Microsoft showing off the tablet pc back in like 2002/2003....no one gave a shit. But as soon as apple does it with the iPad OMG THEY MUST HAVE INVENTED IT. Sick of apple.

Guys, Apple needs all the money so that they can resurrect the corpse of Steve Jobs.
Since they seem to have relied entirely on the Steve Jobs 'brand' the obviously feel a little lost and scared since he left this world.

Why does Apple feel the need to do things like this? What are they gonna sue Ubuntu next because their interface uses docks?

They have a zombie like user base; ignorant masses think just 'cos it's got an apple logo on it, it must be worth the price tag.

This just in, I'm going to patent the shape of door frames, good luck with your circle doors.

Aeshi:

Didnt read the article at all didja?

He ruled in favor of samsung.

OT: the sooner apple burns to the ground, the better.. Then again if that happened apple users would have to try to find something else to be smug about.

Saying Samsung Galaxy infringes the copyright of Apple's iPad ist like saying

car maker A infringes the copyright of car maker B, because their cars have 4 wheels.

BloodRed Pixel:
Saying Samsung Galaxy infringes the copyright of Apple's iPad ist like saying

car maker A infringes the copyright of car maker B, because their cars have 4 wheels.

If Apple made cars, they would be saying that. And the iSheep would be defending them...If they managed to figure out how to read :P

I do like that this puts Apple in the position of arguing that yes, the Samsung tablet totally is way cool, dude.

Matthew94:
I wonder how a judge can judge the "coolness" of a product. This is also funny as it means that Apple have to heap praise on to the tab if it wants to have a case.

Most laws are fairly subjective in their origin, seems only fair that the judge would carry that over into the rest of the system.

The moment Samsung starts selling fixie bikes and thick rimmed non-prescription glasses with their tablets is when Apple should really nail them. "They are trying to out snoot us!"

AstaresPanda:
i do recall Microsoft showing off the tablet pc back in like 2002/2003....no one gave a shit. But as soon as apple does it with the iPad OMG THEY MUST HAVE INVENTED IT. Sick of apple.

It's an idea that is far older than actual working copies.

All I'm getting out of this thread is...

Woodsey:
Indeed, it is very confusing. Perhaps they should both just emblazon their logos on their products so that there's no confu-

Oh, right.

Ahhh!!! Woodsey is banned?!? That...sucks.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here