Live-Action Halo Dawns This October

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Live-Action Halo Dawns This October

Microsoft doesn't need a deal with Hollywood to create a feature film.

The ill-fated Halo movie may have already received its 21-gun salute, but that hasn't stopped 343 Industries from forging ahead with its theatrical efforts. Earlier this year, Microsoft announced Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, a five-part live-action web series set in the Halo-verse. Judging from the ambitious scope of the project, the concept of a full-length Halo film may just come to fruition.

The series, which was filmed in Vancouver, likely cost between $5 million and $10 million to produce, according to insider estimations. Tom Green takes on the lead role as a cadet in a UNSC military academy, with Daniel Cudmore donning the iconic Mjolnir armor as Master Chief.

Forward Unto Dawn is a prequel to the Halo trilogy. The story revolves around the first contact with the Covenant, the long-standing alien villains of the series. Director Stewart Hendler aims to humanize the series, rather than continue the larger-than-life feel of the games. "I wanted to bring a sense of reality and gravity to the world," Hendler explained. "Everything from the performances to the aesthetics should be tethered to a sense of authenticity and grittiness." Despite the new tone, the live-action adaptation will be taking no artistic liberties with the existing lore - 343 has made sure of that. "They were checking every costume stitch, the placement of LEDs on the guns, and the bevels on the visors," Hendler said.

Microsoft has partnered with Machinima to get the series to viewers. The first webisode is scheduled to go live on October 5, with new installments airing weekly leading up to the release of Halo 4. Special editions of the game will include Forward Unto Dawn compiled into a movie with 15 minutes of additional footage. The complete film will also be available on DVD, Blue-ray, and digitally.

Source: LA Times

Well a movie about a Space Marine should at least be Semper Fi.

Cue the run down of everyone's favorite live action Halo trailers.

Well fuck heres mine.

Can't wait for it! :D

I was watching for actors that I knew.
Then I saw the older sister from Narnia and flipped.

Always had a little celebrity crush on her XD

Still, it won't be as awesome as Red Vs. Blue.

Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring action game can become an utterly generic, boring action movie. Progress!

RJ Dalton:
Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring action game can become an utterly generic, boring action movie. Progress!

Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring comment can become an utterly generic, boring attempt at being funny. Progress!

>.>

Korten12:

RJ Dalton:

Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring comment can become an utterly generic, boring attempt at being funny. Progress!

>.>

Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring retort can become an utterly generic, boring verbal slap-fight. Congress!

RJ Dalton:

Korten12:

RJ Dalton:

>.>

Oh, good. Now an utterly generic, boring retort can become an utterly generic, boring verbal slap-fight. Congress!

Okay honest question here:

What makes Halo generic?

Halo has always had some rather cool live action adverts, so despite never being hugely into Halo I think it could be good. It'll probably look good at the very least.

Seriously, how can anything be better than this?

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=4991

saintdane05:
Seriously, how can anything be better than this?

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=4991

Um... That is all CGI, real life has it's limits. Plus while RvB is good, it's story has some faults.

Plus they're to seperate things, this is based soley in Halo lore and is Live action, while RvB is in their version of Halo lore with CGI + ingame graphics.

:P

Korten12:

RJ Dalton:

Korten12:

>.>

What makes Halo generic?

Yeah, seriously. Halo has an incredibly vibrant and unique art design, and call the gameplay what you want, but I think it's anything but boring... But it's also popular, which means it's the cool thing to hate on it. So yeah, uh, fuck Halo, karma please.

Korten12:

RJ Dalton:

Korten12:

>.>

What makes Halo generic?

Ah! You broke the combo first. Just as well, I suppose. If this thread had gone on like that any longer, the mods would probably have dropped the ban-hammer.

But as to what makes Halo generic; firstly it's a lack of original ideas, or original presentation of its ideas. Aside from a few changes to minute details (most of which are lifted wholly from other sources) the basic idea of Halo is indistinguishable from any other power-armored space marine story. Master Chief has no character beyond being a soldier. The universe in which Halo takes place feels hollow, because it's just a checklist of standard tropes of the genre.
Gameplay-wise, the game is adequate, but is nothing more than the standard run-and-gun gameplay of just about every shooter in the genre made in the last ten years. Even Call of Duty surpassed it in terms of innovation with a few moments in the first Modern Warfare game.
About all you can say about it is that it's competently put together, so there's nothing that gets in the way of enjoying it, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
It works, but it never does anything spectacular, yet consistently gets labeled as one of the greatest games ever made. It therefore earns snarky remarks from me at most turns, but gets no real strong hatred. It's a game which I find myself entirely unable to build up any passion for, positive or negative, and I wouldn't even bother with snark if many people hadn't responded to my statement that it really wasn't as good as people made it out to be with "OMYGOD!!! U so STOOPID!!!!1" and annoyed me.
Also, I'm sort of a troll. http://youtu.be/Npkhyeotzog

RJ Dalton:

Korten12:

RJ Dalton:

What makes Halo generic?

Ah! You broke the combo first. Just as well, I suppose. If this thread had gone on like that any longer, the mods would probably have dropped the ban-hammer.

But as to what makes Halo generic; firstly it's a lack of original ideas, or original presentation of its ideas. Aside from a few changes to minute details (most of which are lifted wholly from other sources) the basic idea of Halo is indistinguishable from any other power-armored space marine story. Master Chief has no character beyond being a soldier. The universe in which Halo takes place feels hollow, because it's just a checklist of standard tropes of the genre.
Gameplay-wise, the game is adequate, but is nothing more than the standard run-and-gun gameplay of just about every shooter in the genre made in the last ten years. Even Call of Duty surpassed it in terms of innovation with a few moments in the first Modern Warfare game.
About all you can say about it is that it's competently put together, so there's nothing that gets in the way of enjoying it, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
It works, but it never does anything spectacular, yet consistently gets labeled as one of the greatest games ever made. It therefore earns snarky remarks from me at most turns, but gets no real strong hatred. It's a game which I find myself entirely unable to build up any passion for, positive or negative, and I wouldn't even bother with snark if many people hadn't responded to my statement that it really wasn't as good as people made it out to be with "OMYGOD!!! U so STOOPID!!!!1" and annoyed me.
Also, I'm sort of a troll. http://youtu.be/Npkhyeotzog

Yeah, you're kind of missing the point... Halo seems generic because all modern shooters rip it off shamelessly. By the way, how was CoDs co-op campaign? And how were the vehicle sections? And how... nevermind.

More on topic... if it's Tom Green as in the Tom Green Show... I swore I'd never watch anything with him in it again. That man is more of an embarrasment to Canada then Justin Beiber.

Now this is going to be good. It's about time we got a proper live-action Halo series. Hell, we already have an anime :P.

Nimzabaat:
Yeah, you're kind of missing the point... Halo seems generic because all modern shooters rip it off shamelessly. By the way, how was CoDs co-op campaign? And how were the vehicle sections? And how... nevermind.

More on topic... if it's Tom Green as in the Tom Green Show... I swore I'd never watch anything with him in it again. That man is more of an embarrasment to Canada then Justin Beiber.

That argument might have tread some water if I hadn't first made the accusation when I played the first game. True, most of its tropes have been done even more to death now than they were then, but they were still old hat to the point of being generic at the time.

Do totally agree with you about Tom Green, though.

How the hell are 343 able to keep up with all these projects? are they a big team?

Oh well, I can't wait for this!

CardinalPiggles:
How the hell are 343 able to keep up with all these projects? are they a big team?

They're a team of 250 people according to wikipedia.

I think it has some potential. Halo has always been a cinematic property, and the live action trailers were always sweet.

Korten12:

CardinalPiggles:

Is that a lot for one studio? I don't even know.

CardinalPiggles:

Korten12:

CardinalPiggles:

Is that a lot for one studio? I don't even know.

Well 600 ppl are working on Resident Evil 6 alone and that is considered huge. So 250 maybe the norm.

Valve - 293
ArenaNet - 270
Bungie - around 200
DICE - 280
Bioware - around 800, but note that there is multiple teams under the Bioware name.
The Creative Assembly - around 200

So just over 200 and below 300 seems to be the norm for big developers.

Korten12:
Well 600 ppl are working on Resident Evil 6 alone and that is considered huge. So 250 maybe the norm.

Valve - 293
ArenaNet - 270
Bungie - around 200
DICE - 280
Bioware - around 800, but note that there is multiple teams under the Bioware name.
The Creative Assembly - around 200

So just over 200 and below 300 seems to be the norm for big developers.

That's normal? I hate to think they might be spread too thin.

Nimzabaat:

Don't think it's the same guy since this guy is Thomas Green and is from Australia and from wikipedia has never been in something called the Tom Green show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Green_(Australian_actor)

Korten12:

Nimzabaat:

Don't think it's the same guy since this guy is Thomas Green and is from Australia and from wikipedia has never been in something called the Tom Green show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Green_(Australian_actor)

Thank you very much for that. In that case, colour me cautiously optimistic!

Korten12:

RJ Dalton:

Korten12:

>.>

What makes Halo generic?

That looked like it was gonna be enjoyable. :/ Y U NO KEEP ARGUIN ON FORUMS?

Oh yeah... OT... wooo live action Halo stuff is always good fun. (Landfall, woop woop)

And the Halo cow keeps pushing out cash. Honestly are they truly incapable of moving foward in the storyline of their own universe instead of going back to aliens = bad, humans = good. Also most adaptations of anything into movie form does not mean it will be good eg Last airbender cartoon = great, Last Airbender movie = sucked the big one.

Muunokhoi:
And the Halo cow keeps pushing out cash. Honestly are they truly incapable of moving foward in the storyline of their own universe instead of going back to aliens = bad, humans = good. Also most adaptations of anything into movie form does not mean it will be good eg Last airbender cartoon = great, Last Airbender movie = sucked the big one.

'

You aren't well versed with the Halo lore are you? The story has progressed A LOT. This is simply a live action series to get people familiar with the characters of Halo 4 and bring new players up to date with the lore.

Also it has shown lots of times that humans (ONI specifically) can be just as big as a bastard as the aliens are.

Have you even looked up the lore or anything? Get informed about the universe before you go insulting it.

Muunokhoi:

I wonder what it's like to be that guy that just goes around looking for things to hate on.

Er, Tom Green? Like, the MTV douche Tom Green?

YIKES.

Serving UpSmiles:
Cue the run down of everyone's favorite live action Halo trailers.

Well fuck heres mine.

Agreed. Just the atmosphere the music sets and the choice of a foreign language set it apart from the other live-action trailers out there for other games.

Halo's still relevant to people? Pfft. As groundbreaking as copying one game over and over is, it's time to move on and let the ship sink--fuck, the people making the damn thing abandoned ship.

Muunokhoi:

Remember the god awful Dragon Ball movie abortion? It wasn't even laugh out loud bad, it was straight up slit your own throat to avoid seeing or hearing it in the time it'd take to leave the room bad.

ResonanceGames:
Er, Tom Green? Like, the MTV douche Tom Green?

YIKES.

No, this Tom Green is from Austrailia. The one you're thinking of is not and is much older.

One your thinking of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Green

This is the one in the movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Green_(Australian_actor)

Clearing the Eye:
Halo's still relevant to people? Pfft. As groundbreaking as copying one game over and over is, it's time to move on and let the ship sink--fuck, the people making the damn thing abandoned ship.

What..? I am sorry that many people still love Halo, it's universe is ever expanding and many people are VERY excitied for Halo 4.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here