Buy Your Own Telepathic Cat Ears Right Now

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Buy Your Own Telepathic Cat Ears Right Now

Japanese brain-controlled cat ears have invaded the US.

Generally speaking, animals get all the cool abilities. Gills, bioluminescence, and metamorphosis are just some of the natural perks animals have that make our tool- and language-using abilities look like chumps. Even other land-based mammals, like horses and cats, get those cool rotating ears that can communicate their mood. Last year biosensor company NeuroSky narrowed the gap a little with its set of mechanical cat ears that respond to your mind, but sadly the magic was limited to Japan - until now. Starting today, anyone in the US can pick up a set of Necomimi cat ears for the low, low price of $99.95.

Eager purchasers can obtain the ears from NeuroSky directly or from selected online and brick-and-mortar retailers. The ears will be popping up in a variety of shops, from science museums to Anime- and fantasy-themed hobby stores. Those lucky bastards at Comic-Con - where the Necomimi was unveiled today - get first shot at trying on and buying the ears for themselves.

The ears work using an external neurosensor, which looks a bit like a mic for your brain. The sensor rests somewhat conspicuously on your forehead, then detects your brainwaves via electrical impulses, and possibly also voodoo. There are two basic emotions that the ears respond to; they perk up when the user is excited and droop when they're relaxed. If the wearer is particularly excited or especially relaxed, the ears wiggle. This partly reflects the ways cats' ears move based on their mood, and partly is just adorable. Or weird, depending on your perspective.

My fursuit shall soon be complete.

So wasting a 100$ on a machine that shows my emotion when people can just look at my face?no.

Only Japan would go this far to lessen the gap between humans and cats.

Which im all for, i wonder what colours theyre available in...

I wonder if I can get my friends to wear these whilst playing poker.

OT: I'm sure the furrys are happy at least.

Well these look pointless...like any other marketing gimmick.

If the ears were a little cuter I would say gimmie >.<

Also i would prefer black

That just sounds really silly. Although it makes me wonder if later versions will be able to make the ears flatten when angry or agitated.

I would love those, they seem hilarious, but only for US, bah.

I've got a feline they'll find a big market.

DVS BSTrD:
I've got a feline they'll find a big market.

You deserve this.

...I kind of want these. I really dislike nekos, but I still kind of want these for some reason :/

ruedyn:
I wonder if I can get my friends to wear these whilst playing poker.

OT: I'm sure the furrys are happy at least.

Oh, we are happy alright. So very happy...

I wonder if they'll make a Halloween cat ear bone model and call it the Necromimi.

While it looks silly, the concept that it reads your mind is pretty awesome.

If they could make either Bat,Bear or Dog/Wolf ears then I would maybe consider buying these things.

saintdane05:
My fursuit shall soon be complete.

Eeh, they look a bit off for a fursuit. They just...look wrong. Maybe if there were some side shots that gave a better look at the overall shape, but...

Sweet! I want a pair! Now I just have to get the money/find out where you buy it...

I want those... I could use them as a base for my feeling-controlled death ray. Keep me happy or fear my death ray!

gigastar:
Only Japan would go this far to lessen the gap between humans and cats.

Which im all for, i wonder what colours theyre available in...

Looks like it's just white...I kind of wanted to get black but...unsure if I can patiently wait when those are available now...As much as I want a pair of these I can't silence that little voice that tells me I could spend the same amount of money of other things that would potentially last me longer...but those are still going on my mental wish-list.

Man, if they were a bit cheaper I'd consider it.

Just think: Instant catgirl! (Just add girl. Some assembly required)

Uh, guys? Welcome to a month ago. It's not "just starting today". http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/ryOzRALQRT35NxagMf/browse/item/95256/4/0/0

I, uh. I kinda want one...
Should I hand in my man-badge anywhere specific, or would you rather I destroy it?

Lies and slander! "starting today" I saw these exact same things at Fanimecon in San Jose not 2 months ago. They actually work surprisingly well. I was watching a guy read a dinner menu with them on and as he somewhat read aloud the options the ears actually perked up when he read dishes he was interested versus drooped on others.

Oh hell yeah!

I wanted to get a pair for my wife, but to buy them from Japan cost 250 dollars.

Eri:
Uh, guys? Welcome to a month ago. It's not "just starting today". http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/ryOzRALQRT35NxagMf/browse/item/95256/4/0/0

NeuroSky specifically stated that today was the official launch date for the Necomimi. I'm not sure why that site lists the product date as being so early - the site may be importing the product, it may have gotten stock early and just decided to sell before the 'official' launch date, or NeuroSky itself may have decided to do a soft launch a few weeks before the unveiling at Comic-Con. Since the product's been out for about a year in Japan, it's a bit hard to tell.

RowRowFightThePowah:
Lies and slander! "starting today" I saw these exact same things at Fanimecon in San Jose not 2 months ago. They actually work surprisingly well. I was watching a guy read a dinner menu with them on and as he somewhat read aloud the options the ears actually perked up when he read dishes he was interested versus drooped on others.

If you just saw people wearing them, they probably imported them from Japan - they've been out for some time, this is just their launch in the US.

With $100 price tag I cant afford them, that's a shame(not really).

Hey, wasn't there a mind-controlled platformer or something a couple of years back at E3?

If you really really like cat girls...

Also, I expected telepathy and psychic powers and I was lied to. This reads electrical brain impulses!

I'd like to see more commercial products that use this kind of mind sensing technology. It's a really interesting idea and I imagine it probably has more applications then mood ears.

If I had a girlfriend I'd buy her a pair. Then maybe I'd buy myself a pair. Would make cuddling so much cuter with the ears moving.

Furries disturb me. While ears are cute, dressing up in a suit and being aroused by anything not directly related to your own species is quite... queer, to me.

I'll have to keep these things in mind for when I have some spare cash floating around, totally want a set ^_^ But would it be weird to ask for some for a Winter Festival present from friends/family?

Seems like the worst possible implementation of magic brain sensor technology. Predator arm lazers - that's what it should be used for.

'Why are you wearing those cat ears?'

'Oh! Well they read my brain and tell people my mood!'

'You mean like your face already does for free? How much did they cost?'

'Oh...erm....$100.'

'Ouch. Hey look, they've drooped!'

I guess they'd be alright as a novelty present, but at $100? There are much better things to spend $100 on.

Totally buying my wife a pair for her birthday.

When it comes to stuff like this, she is all ears.

What if we cobine this with the upcoming google glasses and create an emotion sensor to see other people's emotions, like the Solid eye in MGS4!?!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here