Valve: "Valve Time" is a Compliment

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Valve: "Valve Time" is a Compliment

Quality is worth far more to Valve than punctuality.

Half-Life developer Valve believes that Valve Time - the peculiar phenomenon by which time appears to dilate such that the company's release dates never seem accurate - is in fact a good thing.

In an interview with Eurogamer at the Develop conference in Brighton, Valve's head of business development Jason Holtman said that the delays were just a side-effect of the company's unusual development cycle. The company, he says, doesn't conform to the formal schedules adopted by most other studios. The flexibility that this strategy affords sometimes leads to incorrect announcements, or lengthy stretches of time devoid of any new information. However, Holtman said, it also allows the team to focus more on the quality of the game than on when it will be released. "We would infinitely rather have happy customers for decades, rather than a happy batch of customers at one Christmas," he stated.

The existence of Valve Time doesn't necessarily mean that everything developed by the company needs to be matured like a fine whiskey, though. On the contrary, there are plenty of updates and features which end up taking far less time than the team expects, but these rarely get much fan attention in comparison to larger announcements.

Valve comes under a lot of flak for its protracted development times, especially over the long-awaited Half-Life 2: Episode 3 , whose existence has rarely even been hinted at in the five years following the release of Episode 2. Despite the constant badgering for updates from fans, however, spirits within the company remain high. Indeed, Holtman sees the heated fan response as a compliment of the highest order. When inevitably asked if he had any new information regarding Half-Life, though, Holtman simply replied "No. See, now I'm being cagey." It's clear, then, that Valve isn't looking to alter its working structure any time soon, meaning that the mixed blessing of Valve Time is here to stay.

Source: Eurogamer

Let's be honest, if it wasn't for Steam, Valve would have gone bankrupt and shut down years ago with the kind of game development schedule they have at the moment.

I don't really believe Valve actually believes in any of these stuff, they just know they can get away with it because of the money made from Steam. They could wait till they actually release a game of their own (that's not a mod) for another decade and people will still worship them like they were gods.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hide behind my imaginary Internet flame shield.

It's okay Valve. We'll all forgive you once Half-Life 3 comes out.

But seriously, who else does this? Actually taking the time and effort to go over their games with a fine-tooth comb in order to make sure that they are up to a specific standard, instead of treating their franchises like a machine where you just pull a lever and another installment pops out.

I applaud this kind of business practice. It shows they care about their fanbase enough to risk their ire for taking so long on a much anticipated game, in order to make sure that game is something that is worth such a wait.

JezWilkinson:
"We would infinitely rather have happy customers for decades, rather than a happy batch of customers at one Christmas,"

And those costumers would rather have a definitive answer on Half-Life, than be left waiting for decades.

Take all the compliments you want, Valve, just give us more Half-Life while you're at it.

Dreadman75:
It's okay Valve. We'll all forgive you once Half-Life 3 comes out.

But seriously, who else does this? Actually taking the time and effort to go over their games with a fine-tooth comb in order to make sure that they are up to a specific standard, instead of treating their franchises like a machine where you just pull a lever and another installment pops out.

I applaud this kind of business practice. It shows they care about their fanbase enough to risk their ire for taking so long on a much anticipated game, in order to make sure that game is something that is worth such a wait.

The devs at ArenaNet for Guild Wars 2 have been preaching this since it's announcement: "It'll be done when it's done." Heck, they didn't even give us a release date til a couple weeks ago after 5+ years in development. I love when devs take the time to clean up and perfect their games.

And as every escapist poster will tell you: HURRY UP AND GIVE US HALF LIFE 3! (take your time though)

I'm going to assume building a new game engine is part of this Valve Time phenomenon. Source is starting to age little by little each year. Make hats to make the masses happy.

Whatever, I'm a patient man.

It is OK guys. Take your time and if i die before it comes out, remember me from your nightmares.

Jove:
Let's be honest, if it wasn't for Steam, Valve would have gone bankrupt and shut down years ago with the kind of game development schedule they have at the moment.

I don't really believe Valve actually believes in any of these stuff, they just know they can get away with it because of the money made from Steam. They could wait till they actually release a game of their own (that's not a mod) for another decade and people will still worship them like they were gods.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hide behind my imaginary Internet flame shield.

That's actually true infact I think at some point Bethesda almost went under because their development cycle took too long(and other things) and if it wasn't for the huge success that Morrowind then we probably wouldn't have Skyrim today.

Fact is for most game devs releasing a game in under 3 years isnt really a matter of choice but neccesity and Valves approach to game development is only plausible due to their constant fountain of revenue (Steam).

Jove:

Even you must admit you HAVE to be exagerating to prove a point right?
I mean, jokes aside, Orange Box (and then hat sales), L4D, L4D2, Portal 2, F2P TF2 (getting shitloads more money bc of hats), Valve has gotten quite a bit of good games out there, not to count the crazy ammount of free content they offer after every game is released, TF2 Updates, Portal 2 extras, L4D 1 & 2 Free content... Its not like they've been doing absolutely nothing over the span of years.

The longest period of time without a game release has been what? 1 year?

(also, right now, DOTA 2 and CS:GO Getting lots of work and updates done onto them)

monkeymo4d:

Jove:

That's actually true infact I think at some point Bethesda almost went under because their development cycle took too long(and other things) and if it wasn't for the huge success that Morrowind then we probably wouldn't have Skyrim today.

Fact is for most game devs releasing a game in under 3 years isnt really a matter of choice but neccesity and Valves approach to game development is only plausible due to their constant fountain of revenue (Steam).

Exactly. And great point about Bethesda as well.

What some people (especially most valve fans) don't realize is that it's not exactly easy for the developers to just take their time to perfect their game. In fact, its probably impossible for most. Besides the fact that most developers are being pressured by their publishers to release their games, but they keep losing money and more money the longer they develop their game. Their have been many cases as well that I'm sure some people here have heard of where game companies have gone bankrupt before they could even finish their game, now their gone forever. Is that want you guys want?

Its a double-edged sword, and Valve and Besthesda (and a maybe another that I'm forgetting at the moment) are the only exceptions to this because of either their past success (Bethesda), they have so much money that it doesn't really matter, or they have another source of income (Steam). Otherwise, it's impossible for another developer to do what Valve does with their games. Its either take your time with your game and go bankrupt with that game never seeing the light of day, or rush the game to just get it out there at the very least and get some sort of commendations for it and hope for the best.

VZLANemesis:

Jove:

I mean, jokes aside, Orange Box (and then hat sales), L4D, L4D2, Portal 2, F2P TF2 (getting shitloads more money bc of hats), Valve has gotten quite a bit of good games out there, not to count the crazy ammount of free content they offer after every game is released, TF2 Updates, Portal 2 extras, L4D 1 & 2 Free content... Its not like they've been doing absolutely nothing over the span of years.

(also, right now, DOTA 2 and CS:GO Getting lots of work and updates done onto them)

Remove the games that Valve employees didn't make or come up with the idea for (for example, finding a cool project and buying it + staff) and that list becomes a lot shorter.

Valve is a publisher now, not a developer.

So when is the next batch of hatz coming out?

By my count they've released 9 games (and several hundred hats) since 2004. Not too bad.

dogstile:

VZLANemesis:

Jove:

Remove the games that Valve employees didn't make or come up with the idea for (for example, finding a cool project and buying it + staff) and that list becomes a lot shorter.

You should really look up what publisher and developer mean... just wow...

monkeymo4d:
snip

Jove:
snip

You... you both realise that Valve have released 1 massively successful game each year since 2004, right?

But lets look at this in detail.

2004: Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source
2005: Day of Defeat: Source
2006: Half Life Episode 1
2007: Half Life Episode 2, TF2, Portal
2008: Left 4 Dead
2009: Left 4 Dead 2
2010: Aline Swarm (Free game)
2011: Portal 2
2012: Counter Strike Global Offensive (August), Dota 2 (TBA)

Yeah... thats a real shitty release schedule.

EDIT: That's not including everything they have done with TF2 since release.

VZLANemesis:

Jove:

Again as I pointed out wise assly (not a word, I know) in brackets, games like Portal, LFD, and TF2 were mods from their most critically acclaimed game, Half Life. Much easier to do compared to actually making a game from scratch.

But thats besides the point, I didn't say they werent doing nothing, because they obviously are (updates with TF2 with "hats", despite how insignificant they really are in the wide scale of things and how trivial they are compared to actual game development), but the fact that because of Steam, they are able to get away with free TF2 updates, free DLC for LFD2, or whatever.

Lets not act like Valve are the golden boys and are the mother Teresa of gaming. They are able to do this solely because of steam. Otherwise, they will just be like every other developer and "sell their souls to do the devil by having a publisher like EA or Activation to fund their games".

Bioware: Three Mass Effect games in five years, and despite the ending of ME3 being hotly debated, some of the best games if not the best games of their respective years. In the same amount of time, two Dragon Age games, one of which was very well received, the other polarising but with a dedicated fanbase and Star Wars the Old Republic, an MMO which at least did get well received, even if it was crushed by WoW pretty quickly.

Bethesda: Two Elder Scrolls games in six years, both incredibly well received and Skyrim looking set to become an early contender for game of the decade judging by the nerd response to it. Also, two Fallout games, one of which, while badly received by fans of old Fallout, basically revived what was a near dead franchise, created a great game which accoridng to the Escapists very own competition is one of the eight best games ever, and could go on to win or be in the top four.

Valve: Ten games in six years. Two of which they didn't actually make, just hiring the team that did all the work at the last minute. One of which was basically received as a glorified expansion pack for the game they didn't make, one that was yet another revamp of a popular old game (and people criticise other companies for remakes and updates) and above it all the looming specter of a game that is fast becoming the new Duke Nukem Forever of gaming humour.

See, Valve time is good up to a point, but as I look at what they've actually released in the same period that Bioware have released one of the most acclaimed series of all time and Bethesda have pumped out Skyrim, I realise that they're kind of coasting on old glory, and at some point that is going to have to change. If they hadn't been able to nab the company that actually made Left 4 Dead or Alien Swarm they would have been even worse off in the 'releases people cared about' column.

Valve Time isn't a compliment, because while Valve may say that their development process leads to better games, personally I'd rather go and replay the entire 100+ hours of the Mass Effect trilogy, or the hundred plus hours of a single Bethesda game, rather than an unfinished episode of a game that as the years go by looks increasingly worse for wear. I'll say it right up front. Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are better than anything Valve has put out in the same time period. Yes, a Valve game from, say, '98 or '99 was very very impressive for the time, but what really have the actual company of Valve (not the teams they bought out) done recently? Portal 2, and that's about it.

I've stopped caring about valve a long time ago. I'll "consider" caring again if and when HL3 is released.

"Consider."

MelasZepheos:
Bioware: Three Mass Effect games in five years, and despite the ending of ME3 being hotly debated, some of the best games if not the best games of their respective years. In the same amount of time, two Dragon Age games, one of which was very well received, the other polarising but with a dedicated fanbase and Star Wars the Old Republic, an MMO which at least did get well received, even if it was crushed by WoW pretty quickly.

Bethesda: Two Elder Scrolls games in six years, both incredibly well received and Skyrim looking set to become an early contender for game of the decade judging by the nerd response to it. Also, two Fallout games, one of which, while badly received by fans of old Fallout, basically revived what was a near dead franchise, created a great game which accoridng to the Escapists very own competition is one of the eight best games ever, and could go on to win or be in the top four.

Valve: Ten games in six years. Two of which they didn't actually make, just hiring the team that did all the work at the last minute. One of which was basically received as a glorified expansion pack for the game they didn't make, one that was yet another revamp of a popular old game (and people criticise other companies for remakes and updates) and above it all the looming specter of a game that is fast becoming the new Duke Nukem Forever of gaming humour.

See, Valve time is good up to a point, but as I look at what they've actually released in the same period that Bioware have released one of the most acclaimed series of all time and Bethesda have pumped out Skyrim, I realise that they're kind of coasting on old glory, and at some point that is going to have to change. If they hadn't been able to nab the company that actually made Left 4 Dead or Alien Swarm they would have been even worse off in the 'releases people cared about' column.

Valve Time isn't a compliment, because while Valve may say that their development process leads to better games, personally I'd rather go and replay the entire 100+ hours of the Mass Effect trilogy, or the hundred plus hours of a single Bethesda game, rather than an unfinished episode of a game that as the years go by looks increasingly worse for wear. I'll say it right up front. Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are better than anything Valve has put out in the same time period. Yes, a Valve game from, say, '98 or '99 was very very impressive for the time, but what really have the actual company of Valve (not the teams they bought out) done recently? Portal 2, and that's about it.

Ah old glory. Nostalgia is a wonderful isn't it? IMO (actually its more of a fact), Valve has actually only really released ONE game (or one franchise), and that was Half-Life. The rest were either mods or made by other people with Valve all of a sudden taking all of the credit because they hired them at the last minute.

The whole list of whatever that poster posted, is very vague and inaccurate when you consider who actually developed most of those games and how they were developed (for the 500th time, mods). The list of games actually made by Valve is more like this: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Half Life 2: Episode 2.

MelasZepheos:

Bioware is a bit of a strech there, Dragon Age 2 was rushed through and it showed up in the final product and the Mass Effect series kinda craped itself in the end.

MelasZepheos:

You know Bethesda didn't make Fallout:NV, and Bioware has a team of over 800 people right now, don't you? Just saying.

Ragsnstitches:

monkeymo4d:
snip

Jove:
snip

You... you both realise that Valve have released 1 massively successful game each year since 2004, right?

But lets look at this in detail.

2004: Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source
2005: Day of Defeat: Source
2006: Half Life Episode 1
2007: Half Life Episode 2, TF2, Portal
2008: Left 4 Dead
2009: Left 4 Dead 2
2010: Aline Swarm (Free game)
2011: Portal 2
2012: Counter Strike Global Offensive (August), Dota 2 (TBA)

Yeah... thats a real shitty release schedule.

EDIT: That's not including everything they have done with TF2 since release.

Well thats the thing I (we) never really said that they had a shitty release schedule but rather they are one of the few devs/publishers who can afford to do it. For examples if you compare Half Life2 and portal 2 to their other game projects such as dead Day of defeat and to some extent TF2 then you can see that there is a vast difference in production time,cost and speed between their community based games and their AAA games. Most publishers wouldnt risk their dev teems working on community based games and even if they did most would be half assed and wouldn't get the community support most valve games and mods do.

Hell during the development of half life Gabe and Harrington(at this point pretty rich because of their work at Microsoft) the founders of Valve had to dig deep into their own cash to fund it because they kept extending the production time, something most developers wouldn't even attempt lest they go bankrupt.

Ed130:

MelasZepheos:

Bioware is a bit of a strech there, Dragon Age 2 was rushed through and it showed up in the final product and the Mass Effect series kinda craped itself in the end.

It did for Mass Effect 3, but many people also agree the game as a whole besides the ending was still brilliant. Dragon Age 2, yeah definitely a slip up and was rushed like hell, but it still stands out as a overall pretty good game. Just not compared to its predecessor Dragon Age Origins lol.

Ed130:

MelasZepheos:

Agreeing that DA2 was rushed for the publisher, the crappy ending of ME3 was due to the megalomania of one man: Casey Hudson, who single handedly re-wrote the entire ending into the crapfest of "Pick your favourite colour" due to the orginal ending designs being leaked.

CardinalPiggles:

MelasZepheos:

You know Bethesda didn't make Fallout:NV, and Bioware has a team of over 800 people right now, don't you? Just saying.

Valve also didn't make TF2, Left 4 Dead, Portal, etc. Yet people still count them anyway. So if your (I don't mean you, just others that put those games in their "list" as Valve games) gonna count them, I guess we should also count Fallout New Vegas on Bethesda since they did publish the game after all.

Jove:

CardinalPiggles:

MelasZepheos:

Valve also didn't make TF2, Left 4 Dead, Portal, etc. Yet people still count them anyway. So if your (I don't mean you, just others that put those games in their "list" as Valve games) gonna count them, I guess we should also count Fallout New Vegas on Bethesda since they did publish the game after all.

'Publishing' and 'hiring out the modders' are completely different.

MelasZepheos:

The Mass Effect team was the Central Bioware team, Dragon Age was made by the Edmonton studio and KOR was made by Bioware Vancouver. So your example doesn't tread water.

MelasZepheos:

TES: Oblivion was started immediately after the release of Morrowind, so the actual development cycle was a lot longer than that. Fallout 3 was basically made using the same engine as Oblivion, so it had a short dev cycle. New Vegas was made by Obsidian and publish by Bethesda. So yeah, again, doesn't tread water. Valve actually does a lot of work in a lot of areas at once, its basically several game studios under one banner.

mindlesspuppet:

dogstile:

VZLANemesis:

I get that technically they're different. But think of it this way:

EA: Buys a company under company name, lets them make game, puts out game.
Valve: Buys a company, doesn't let them keep company name, puts out game as valve game.

I mean, I get that there are a few tiny differences, but to me it seems they roughly do the same thing. They're basically a publisher now, I doubt valve staff have ever truly finished a product they've come up with the idea for in a while now. The people who do are the companies that they buy.

Edit: Hell, didn't they hire a completely different team to do l4d2 and leave the team that came up with it to sorta float off into nothingness?

Edit edit: To humour you, these are from google/dictionary.com when searching define: "insert thing here".

Publisher: a person or company whose business is the publishing of books, periodicals, engravings, computer software, etc.

Developer: A person or organization that develops something.

I'm still of the opinion that they develop nothing of their own recently (aside from, you know, portal and even that was an idea from somewhere else). They buy, they market, they sell.

Publisher.

Jove:

monkeymo4d:

Jove:

Exactly. And great point about Bethesda as well.

What some people (especially most valve fans) don't realize is that it's not exactly easy for the developers to just take their time to perfect their game. In fact, its probably impossible for most. Besides the fact that most developers are being pressured by their publishers to release their games, but they keep losing money and more money the longer they develop their game. Their have been many cases as well that I'm sure some people here have heard of where game companies have gone bankrupt before they could even finish their game, now their gone forever. Is that want you guys want?

Its a double-edged sword, and Valve and Besthesda (and a maybe another that I'm forgetting at the moment) are the only exceptions to this because of either their past success (Bethesda), they have so much money that it doesn't really matter, or they have another source of income (Steam). Otherwise, it's impossible for another developer to do what Valve does with their games. Its either take your time with your game and go bankrupt with that game never seeing the light of day, or rush the game to just get it out there at the very least and get some sort of commendations for it and hope for the best.

I agree with everything said in these three posts, and will just add: Blizzard.

Blizzard has much worse development cycles and relies more heavily on the success of their past games to carry their future games to victory. I mean, just look at the hype train that lead up to SC2: Wings of Liberty's release, and especially D3's release. I'd argue that Blizzard Time is much more wonky than Valve time, because Blizzard knows how popular they are.

dogstile:

mindlesspuppet:

dogstile:

I get that technically they're different. But think of it this way:

EA: Buys a company under company name, lets them make game, puts out game.
Valve: Buys a company, doesn't let them keep company name, puts out game as valve game.

I mean, I get that there are a few tiny differences, but to me it seems they roughly do the same thing. They're basically a publisher now, I doubt valve staff have ever truly finished a product they've come up with the idea for in a while now. The people who do are the companies that they buy.

Pretty much this. Although I would be careful if I were you for that people here will now accuse you of comparing Valve to EA. In fact, you should borrow my flame shield. :P

Jove:

CardinalPiggles:

MelasZepheos:

Difference is, TF2, L4D 1+2 and Portal 1+2 were at least partially developed in house, whereas, say FO:NV was developed entirely by Obsidian.

I'm not saying Valve thought up those games all by themselves, but they at least put plenty of work into them. To say that some other people made the mods for these games entirely and then sold it to Valve for Valve to publish is foolish.

I wish more companies would do things the way Valve did. Quality over quantity in my opinion.

Jove:

If you take a modder, hire them, and give them a staff and a budget, they are no longer simply a modder. It takes a lot of work to turn a prototype into a polished product.

i wish they'd announce a game that even interest me

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or