Catholics, Buddhists Join Hindu Protests Against Smite

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I've made a very passionate decision to stop caring about all the stupid shit organized religion does, but still, this is stupid.

Rastelin:

Lyri:
So it's ok for you guys to continue to insult their culture because they can't offend you in return?
Stay classy.

It is very much ok in fact. They are trying to use their faith and highly unlikely god or goddess for which there are not a shred of evidence for to impose censorship on people who clearly are not religious. This is a pattern history knows to well when it comes to organized religion.

But they are not allowed to torture and burn people in their gods name anymore (talk about offense), so all they can do is bitch and wine, and people will be in their faces when they do.

Ok, I was going to keep my mouth shut but I'm getting really tired of the "imposing censorship" argument. They are asking ASKING for the developer to be more considerate of their beliefs. If they were suing the developer over this then you would have a point, but they did not, therefore your point doesn't really work. That's like saying me asking someone to be more polite is infringing on their freedom of speech, not really and they don't even have to do it anyway.

People deserve the right to believe anything they want, however religious "practices and beliefs" deserve no more respect than any other "practices and beliefs".

I expect Christians to respect my ideology that I "shit-out a better god each morning before work" as much as I respect their religious beliefs.

the protest makes no sense, censorship usually just aggrovates things case in point the post by felbot

felbot:
oh now i definitely hope they include the abrahamic god and include allah incase the muslims wanna protest too.

and wth? catholics embracing another faith... what about the crusade against heathens and such, of with their heads i say war and bloody carnage, burn the heretics kill the mutants purge the unclean chaos fi... oops i think i went 40k years into the future for a moment.

but in all seriousness this kind of cooperation despite its misguidededness might help avoid a 40k scenario....at least until the atheists get organized.

mfeff:

1337mokro:

Scorpid:

snip

Apparently you are not smart enough to get that "Jesus story 2006" is just a parody video game title and it implies the entire bible. Not to mention that apparently the only people who are capable of forming an opinion about religion HAVE to be part of that religion.

I am a little fuzzy on the whole good bad "only people who are capable"... part... Having of studied many religions over the years I have formed plenty of opinions concerning the how's and why's of various faiths. Unless your being facetious... which (come to think of it) I think you are. Nicely done.

My comment about Other M was, you have no idea why people were outraged, because you haven't played the game, you don't know what is in the content.

I simply found Other M to be a classic example of weakly written Japanese narrative. It is surprisingly difficult to write for a female lead character on the one hand, on the other, the writer's really didn't know what to do with the character outside of make her submissive in the context of Japanese culture... as he saw it. It's video games, I would think at this point we are all accustomed to incredibly bad writing. The need for a love interest was redundant in the context of the character... just another narrative brick that dragged the game down.

I on the other hand know why these people are outraged and have also played the game. They are pissed because their deities are depicted in a game where they fight each other. They aren't pissed because their deities were given completely different characters from sequel to sequel. They aren't complaining that the depiction of Kali The Destroyer <- is uncharacteristic to the source material.

That assumes they have actually played it. I doubt this. This group as I mentioned in previous post have protested other commercial products that use Hindu deities in the naming structure. They seem to have a problem with "fair use", more than "context". Feel free too look it up.

You are comparing a group complaining about the depiction of an established character to a group who are complaining simply because the game depicts their deities. That is your logical fallacy. One isn't protesting the depiction of a character but the way the character was depicted in consistency with PREVIOUS depictions. The other is protesting the mere presence of their deities in the game itself.

It's this... the protest is about the depiction of the deities or naming structure associated with anything in a commercial setting. There is evidence to support this thesis. They just happened to have picked on this, I suspect someone sent them something to get them upset to push the marketing for the game... but that is just a guess.

You can have an opinion on how something should be depicted sure. However what you can have but I will never allow you to enforce is the opinion that something should NEVER be depicted. That is the difference my good man. You seem to be nicely entrenched in Other M but you seem to forget not a single complaint actually read "They should never depict Samus in a game".

Had a similar thought above myself... respect where people are coming from, disagree with the conclusion. As I recalled I had mentioned if this was "India" this game could not be made, as it would of been censured without debate.

That is the demand posed by the Buddhists. Depicting their supreme beings in a videogame trivializes them they say therefore it should not be done.

I detailed above some very grievous issues I have with this "so called" Buddhist Reverend. I have since contacted his Sanga and asked him to explain his position concerning both the "Shame" of the developers, and the "Supreme Beings" comment.

He apparently was trained in Soto Zen, and now teaches at a Jodo (pure land Mahayana) school. To reference your previous comment, yes, I have trained for many years in Soto and the comment about respecting Supreme Beings is a Spock "Eyebrow Raiser". So far my investigation has revealed that Mr. Phil is not qualified to hold the position that he claims under either lineage, and that he has chosen to be a "Reverend" for tax exemption purposes. He has never been "ordained" by a Soto or Jodo lineage.

He is "just some guy" playing Buddhist in a "Sanga" which is a building of about 10-20 people that "study" there. The difficulty with westernized Jodo is that it is often confused as being compatible or even "Christian" in is etymology. I suspect it was his dislike for Soto (which is inherently atheist) and went to Jodo with in about a year. The other issue with this is that to become a "teacher" in this case requires about 8 years give or take... this is of course not the case, his transition was less than a year... when his teacher passed away. He took on the sanga.

He is technically teaching Buddhism such as the noble eight-fold path, and methodologies of arising, BUT the context is (in my estimation) in error. His Buddhism more closely resembles that of an Indian Buddhist amalgamated with Hinduism and it's pantheon. I'm thinking this modification is in part an attempt to get into this Unitarian religious club in Reno.

Zen - in general - has little to no use for deities, spirits, nonsense, mumbo jumbo, and certainly has no tenant for "Respecting Supreme Beings" of other faiths. The very idea of a mind concocting such an entity is in and of itself a sign of a deluded mind outside of the Dharma.

That one should seek a stillness and equanimity (in an effort for self-liberation), is certainly a part of zazen and sesshin, but to condemn someone outside of "personal experience", a product outside of "personal experience", on a topic outside of "personal experience" is a big no-no. It's intellectually dishonest, contrary to this form of practice.

However let's just get on to the actual meat of the matter here.

I don't HAVE to defend myself for the simple reason that I refuse to abide by other people dictating what can and cannot be depicted in a game, book, movie, song, cartoon or even a child's scribbling in the corner of his notebook.

There IS no discussion because I refuse to accept any circumstance where I cannot touch a subject because it is Divine, Sensitive or simply Off Limits. I refuse to compromise on any front to make you feel better now that people aren't talking or depicting what you believe in any form of media.

That is not going to happen.

Sounds good to me.

People campaigning for limitations on this are not worthy of going in debate with. They DEMAND I have respect and reference for their beliefs when nothing merits that. They demand everyone else mind them and not thread on their toes. They have already lost by demanding things from me they have not earned and go even further by demanding that everyone on earth abide by their desires.

The audacity and arrogance is astounding. To demand that everyone, regardless of their own believes to respect and honour your beliefs and prevent them from being used for any purposes but your own.

Part of this comes from a fairly right wing approach to Hinduism and by that Brahmanism which implies that the depiction of a God or whatever does "enact" the God, like a summon. It's a belief that is of course trope in SMT.

I have never met a teacher of Japanese flavored Buddhism that ever believed such a thing... well until now... which is why I question the "Japan Buddhism" of it. Being completely honest, I am mildly shocked at his comment.

As far as the Hindu practitioners, they seem to come in two flavors... easy going, and right wing. Most the ones I know are easy going, having of only met one right winger we went our separate ways pretty quickly.

Most the Catholics that I have encountered perceive Buddhism as Gnostic at best, and borderline (or outright) Satanism at worst. Takes all kinds to make a world I suppose.

Well guess what, if you really believe we should all mind these people so much and carefully thread around them let me start a new Church of Kali In Videogames. We have only one rule. Kali must be included in every videogame ever made, even retro-actively. Not having Shiva in a game offends me and I am going to protest that every game, no matter whether it needs to or not, includes a playable Kali character.

You had me at nonsense. ;) Take it easy.

Be careful sir. Calling my religion nonsense will have you sued for all you have. I will not have you trivialize my beliefs!

/end sarcasm

Yeah mate, nice going there proving my point.

Doom972:

BehattedWanderer:
At first, I thought they were just whining, but then I realize they had a point. These are their supreme beings, here, and we're making them lesser. Then greater, with a leveling system. But, while their point is valid, we are still discussing mythologies and pantheons of superpowered persons and creatures, which is already well documented to be fair game for game developers. Besides, if it wasn't this, it would be God of War, or Darksiders, or Dante's Inferno, or Asura's Wrath, or Enslaved, or Too Human. There's plenty of space for new gods in gaming, and, if there was something like a tasteful little bio about each one, it could even educate more people about that religion and it's fundamental mythologies.

These are not their supreme beings, these are supreme imaginary friends. I think religious people should take it less seriously.

Your skepticism does not magically change their opinion, however. Imaginary, mythological, or factual, these are revered figures being at best clumsily handled and at worst blatantly abused. Reverence and respect for persons both historical and fictional has it's reasons for being so, and failing to understand that is where conflict arises. Don't be so hasty to tell people to casually toss aside what they have chosen to let govern their lives--they may not appreciate a flagrant abuse of their beliefs as much as you might think.

Fragile things, those gods.
They are in need of constant caring and defending.

One could think that they are powerless without their followers.

Well, I can say I'm not surprised by the nature of responses here. Gamers slandering all things religious, because apparently the cool thing to do on the internet is to be an atheist.

While I'm very largely against censorship, I do hope Smite responds to this issue more maturely than the rest of you children. I'm glad gamers aren't represented by any of the responses found here like;

"QQQ OMG CRY MOAR HUHUHLOL"

"U BELIEF IN FLYING MONSTERZ ITS ALL FAKE NOOBS"

Seriously, just because you all pass yourselves off as pseudo-intelligent and informed because you grew up influenced by the information age and made the conclusion that there is no divine deity governing our lives, doesn't mean the appropriate response to those that did not have the same offering or come to the same conclusion is slander and dismissal.

And this is all it took to unite religiuos people? what was the point of hudreds f years of wars then tell me?
Also, christians going all lapdog for hindusim? the lact of uneducated church followers is showing greatly.

who needs uncensored art when you have god(s)? ill consider respecting them when they stop funding and making themselves platforms for anti-queer hate speech, stop oppressing women, and stop abusing children and/or have genuine respect for something other than themselves. (the only reason theyre helping each other out here is to establish a precedent thats in their favor for this kind of shit)

If they made a game based on the worst scenes in the bible, they would bloody well ban the game for unnecessary cruelty and violence. Probably for blasphemy as well even if it was the accurate descriptions from the book. Imagine you running around a village slaughtering children and pregnant women. That shit would not pass any censor.

And Kali is the dark goddess. Wiki tells she is sometimes presented as dark and violent. Certainly no mother goose. Recent devotional movements largely conceive Kali as a benevolent mother goddess (changing her image).

rcs619:

felbot:
oh now i definitely hope they include the abrahamic god and include allah incase the muslims wanna protest too.

To be fair, a lot of christian, muslim and jewish religious figures would just not be that good for this kinda game. Most were just humans who received temporary powers.

Angels could work I suppose. Go kick some ancient ass as Michael or Gabriel.

Seriously though, if Smite offends these guys, their heads are going to explode whenever they find out about the Shin Megami Tensei series. lol

I can't speak for them, but I think some of them would be happy about Shin Megami Tensei, particularly the Persona series. I've heard many Christians saying how God is in all of us, so they might appreciate people using God as a part of themselves, since a Persona in merely a part of someone's psyche.

BehattedWanderer:

Doom972:

BehattedWanderer:
At first, I thought they were just whining, but then I realize they had a point. These are their supreme beings, here, and we're making them lesser. Then greater, with a leveling system. But, while their point is valid, we are still discussing mythologies and pantheons of superpowered persons and creatures, which is already well documented to be fair game for game developers. Besides, if it wasn't this, it would be God of War, or Darksiders, or Dante's Inferno, or Asura's Wrath, or Enslaved, or Too Human. There's plenty of space for new gods in gaming, and, if there was something like a tasteful little bio about each one, it could even educate more people about that religion and it's fundamental mythologies.

These are not their supreme beings, these are supreme imaginary friends. I think religious people should take it less seriously.

Your skepticism does not magically change their opinion, however. Imaginary, mythological, or factual, these are revered figures being at best clumsily handled and at worst blatantly abused. Reverence and respect for persons both historical and fictional has it's reasons for being so, and failing to understand that is where conflict arises. Don't be so hasty to tell people to casually toss aside what they have chosen to let govern their lives--they may not appreciate a flagrant abuse of their beliefs as much as you might think.

My skepticism might not change anyone's opinion, but if society as a whole stops taking these guys seriously, they might actually realize that nobody has to care about their beliefs and that it shouldn't get to them anyway.

Revnak:
I... I feel so odd about this. On one hand, people of different religious beliefs are respecting one another. On another hand, they're trying to force a piece of media to not be made, which I am definitely against. I just don't know whether I should be upset or pleased.

Well, if this helps, they're probably only joining in the fray because they already want games banned.

I'm sorry. Not my religions and I don't give a crap if a game character has the same name/appearance as some holy figure in a religion.

And people being offended by the Muhammad drawings was stupid too. They were just drawings, they don't hurt anybody.

craigbz:
People deserve the right to believe anything they want, however religious "practices and beliefs" deserve no more respect than any other "practices and beliefs".

I expect Christians to respect my ideology that I "shit-out a better god each morning before work" as much as I respect their religious beliefs.

So, none at all?

I kinda agree with Behatted up there, all it needs is a bio page for each character, and they could then defend themselves with it being 'educational' about the various gods and religions being covered.

Hell, it might even get kids who played it to look into things more deeply.

Surely that's what all religions want, is for people to be more interested in religion nowadays?

It does amuse me that after centuries of fighting each other, they're all coming together as one to oppose one tiny video game, if only we'd thought of this a thousand years ago, every few year we could have something inflammatory created to distract them all from their in fighting, starting a new scandal each time the old one faded.

They'd all be far too busy writing angry letters to anyone who'll read them to go on crusades or blow each other up.

Hevva:
In a pleasant example of inter-faith cooperation, a Roman Catholic leader from Nevada has now urged that spiritual people come together to stop Smite from making a mockery of divine beings.

It is a sad thing when lowly humans must come together to defend the name and honor of divine beings.

Funny how, when you make a game or movie based on some long dead mythology, it's okay, but if you make one based on a mythology with active followers, suddenly it's a touchy and controversial subject. The only difference between a dead religion and a living one is that there's no one to complain if you insult the former.

My basic attitude is that the guys doing SMITE shouldn't back down, though I fear they will. Part of free speech is not nessicarly having to be reverant of things that other people take seriously. If you have to respect something that a lot of people take seriously as a matter of policy, it would mean a virtual death of humor, and arguably the collapse of free speech. In a country like the US we have a seperation of church and state, specifically to diffentiate ourselves from theocracies where things like this would be a problem.

As a Christian I will say that my religion gets used irreverantly all the time, I just have a sense of humor about it (I'm sure god does as well). It's not like the US is hypocritical in treating it's most practiced religion with kid gloves in the media while being irreverant towards others.

From where I'm sitting it seems like these religious leaders are getting all upset as a way of getting give minutes of fame. Especially when it comes to hinduism, it's been used irreverantly quitre a few times. They revealed Kali to be a giant earthquake causing bug in "Sanctuary", Roger Zelazny wrote "Lord Of Light" (which was awesome), and things like the Shin Megami Tensei series have had deities from pretty much every religion there is showing up as things you can kill, or recruit/enslave for your party. It's been going on for many years, and I don't believe these major organizations were "unaware" of anything like this since it's been pretty much everywhere, the big question is why they are deciding to make an issue of it now...

Oh wait, we have a presidential election going on in the US, the perfect time to get some attention by raising "major issues" and trying to force attention on them. Win or lose, they get to all be in the media for a while and get attention if they play their cards right. Attention whoring is one thing that can bring divisive religions together, as it's one thing they can all agree on. :)

My basic opinion is that if I can deal with George Burns playing god in the movies TWICE, and laugh along with Kevin Smith making "Dogma", among many, many other things, I think Hindus can deal with Kali being in a video game even if it's handled irreverantly. Heck, I've actually seen games where the basic objective is to more or less kill God (in the sense of the Christian God), SMT I'm again looking at you.... so in short, if nations like India want to continue to join the rest of the civilized world, they have to get used to things like free speech, and understand there is no global theocracy, what is a "serious religion" to many is going to be messed with, changed, mocked, and have creative liscence taken with it not only by non-believers, but by those who doubtlessly do believe but use the religion (far differant than it's supposed to be) in an unusual context, or play out a "what if" scenario where say the roles of the various deities and what they are supposed to stand for are reversed or whatever (similar to say a game or book where the Devil in the Christian sense is actually the good guy for the purposes of the story, where the intended structure has havoc played with it for purposes of analysis, to provoke thought, and of course entertain).

lacktheknack:
Dudes... you're talking to a thoroughly non-religious industry. You should just ignore it, like you ignore the religious porn floating around the internet.

Dang, you said it.

Before you said it they did not know about it. Now they know about it. Soon you will hear about the efforts too stop the Porn industry. Sadly, the Porn industry respects no one else feelings so we will see.

Gilhelmi:

lacktheknack:
Dudes... you're talking to a thoroughly non-religious industry. You should just ignore it, like you ignore the religious porn floating around the internet.

Dang, you said it.

Before you said it they did not know about it. Now they know about it. Soon you will hear about the efforts too stop the Porn industry. Sadly, the Porn industry respects no one else feelings so we will see.

Actually, I saw religious porn brought up on an ultra-religious forum, the crazies who get fired up about every perceived slight, and the general reaction was "Bleh. People are disgusting and dumb. Please don't remind me that that crap exists." It was positively even-keel.

I'd link, but I don't even remember what forum it was... I just remember the reaction.

lacktheknack:

Gilhelmi:

lacktheknack:

Dang, you said it.

Actually, I saw religious porn brought up on an ultra-religious forum, the crazies who get fired up about every perceived slight, and the general reaction was "Bleh. People are disgusting and dumb. Please don't remind me that that crap exists." It was positively even-keel.

I'd link, but I don't even remember what forum it was... I just remember the reaction.

Part of me wishes we could better control what the outside world does too our deities. I mean the only one people "respect" is Mohammed because the radicals threaten to kill people.

Its just sad too me that the only way too get people too "respect" your deity is too threaten them. (Note I said "respect" in quotes, only because few actually respects them they just do not want too die).

I like the first amendment, but people are currently taking it as a license too be A**holes too others, and generally disrespectful of others. When I exercise my first amendment to call them on it I am told too "be more open-mined" or "have a sense of humor". I just feel the double standard that really exists in society. Non-religious can mock us too no end, but Religious are told to "sit down and shut up" when they object.

Gilhelmi:

lacktheknack:

Gilhelmi:

Dang, you said it.

Part of me wishes we could better control what the outside world does too our deities. I mean the only one people "respect" is Mohammed because the radicals threaten to kill people.

Its just sad too me that the only way too get people too "respect" your deity is too threaten them. (Note I said "respect" in quotes, only because few actually respects them they just do not want too die).

I like the first amendment, but people are currently taking it as a license too be A**holes too others, and generally disrespectful of others. When I exercise my first amendment to call them on it I am told too "be more open-mined" or "have a sense of humor". I just feel the double standard that really exists in society. Non-religious can mock us too no end, but Religious are told to "sit down and shut up" when they object.

Double standards are all too common, really. I just let it slide.

Therumancer:
M Part of free speech is not nessicarly having to be reverant of things that other people take seriously.

The hell? Free speech means you can't be FORCED to. It's still polite to. Lot of people being hyperbolic in this thread.

CaptainKarma:

Therumancer:
M Part of free speech is not nessicarly having to be reverant of things that other people take seriously.

The hell? Free speech means you can't be FORCED to. It's still polite to. Lot of people being hyperbolic in this thread.

The whole nature of their complaint is that because it's their religion and take it seriously nobody should be able to make fantasy out of it, or treat it in a way they disapprove of. What's being done isn't even paticularly impolite, it's just treating
hinduism like anything else.

This kind of thing (using real religions in fantasy) has been going on for a very long time, their only real reason to do this now is to get attention.

1337mokro:

AnarchistFish:

1337mokro:

But seriously people stop being butthurt over a game. First of all it's not slandering your religion it's just using figures as heroes. Second of all your religion is not protected from slander.

I can say anything I want about it whenever I want to. So please, go cry in the corner silently.

They can say whatever they want about this game whenever they want to. Go cry in your bedroom, hypocrite.

Fucking hate this site sometimes for the self righteous and stuck up users that infest it.

Either that was a sarcasm post or you are a complete moron. You call me a hypocrite because I say someone should go cry in the corner. Then say I should do the same because I don't allow them to say whatever they want?

Guess what I never said they shouldn't be allowed to say anything. What I said was that whilst they have the right to say anything their words carry no weight.

I can see how you hate this site seeing as people like yourself are all over it :).

Thanks for commenting Mr. Moron.

Your post stinks of "Stop complaining whilst I bitch as much as I want". You wouldn't have gotten as pissy as you did if you were just saying their opinion "carries no weight", you went further than that.

AnarchistFish:

1337mokro:

AnarchistFish:

They can say whatever they want about this game whenever they want to. Go cry in your bedroom, hypocrite.

Fucking hate this site sometimes for the self righteous and stuck up users that infest it.

Either that was a sarcasm post or you are a complete moron. You call me a hypocrite because I say someone should go cry in the corner. Then say I should do the same because I don't allow them to say whatever they want?

Guess what I never said they shouldn't be allowed to say anything. What I said was that whilst they have the right to say anything their words carry no weight.

I can see how you hate this site seeing as people like yourself are all over it :).

Thanks for commenting Mr. Moron.

Your post stinks of "Stop complaining whilst I bitch as much as I want". You wouldn't have gotten as pissy as you did if you were just saying their opinion "carries no weight", you went further than that.

I did of course, cause I was pissed off at that time.

What is your excuse Mr Pot?

Therumancer:

CaptainKarma:

Therumancer:

The whole nature of their complaint is that because it's their religion and take it seriously nobody should be able to make fantasy out of it, or treat it in a way they disapprove of. What's being done isn't even paticularly impolite, it's just treating

This kind of thing (using real religions in fantasy) has been going on for a very long time, their only real reason to do this now is to get attention.

They're not saying that nobody should be able to. They're saying "hey! this is a dick move! Please don't do it!"

CaptainKarma:

Therumancer:

CaptainKarma:

They're not saying that nobody should be able to. They're saying "hey! this is a dick move! Please don't do it!"

The point of a coalition is to do more than that. This is how that starts. Their message is quite clear in saying that this should be an exception to free speech, or else why else say anything at all?

It's not a dick move, even remotely, and tha'ts the entire problem, this is something that has been going on for so long it's not even funny. The timing is to get attention, and doubtlessly to get politicians to take notice. If they get acknowlegement then they can force a politician into a position of saying whether it should be allowed or not. If they say yes, then they risk turning followers of major religions against them, if they say no then it's a threat to free speech. I'd imagine most savvy politicians are going to ignore them, but you can never tell.

The problem is that people here, especially on the left wing, seem blind to anything but the obvious, and that's a problem. When it's a move like this taken before the media there is always a lot more to it. You don't get a coalition like this going to say "it's a dick move", you do it to get public and political attention for a purpose, otherwise you just say it, and since it's freedom of speech people just move on without going "oh gee, look at all the major religions involved".

What they say, and what they are actually saying behind it, aren't always the same thing. You need to look towards the big picture, and the long term. 99% of the problems we face today (socially or otherwise) are from people not doing that. A good (fairly recent) example on a smaller scale would be a certain female vlogger, who got white knighted because she was being attacked, pointing out that she was a sleaze looking for attention, and unworthy of a platform (and probably deserving of the score) was pretty much ignored beyond the "face" of what she was saying. Now look at the issues revolving around the money she actually collected... "If only someone had seen that one coming". Same basic thing, larger scale.

Therumancer:

CaptainKarma:

Therumancer:

The point of a coalition is to do more than that. This is how that starts. Their message is quite clear in saying that this should be an exception to free speech, or else why else say anything at all?

It's not a dick move, even remotely, and tha'ts the entire problem, this is something that has been going on for so long it's not even funny. The timing is to get attention, and doubtlessly to get politicians to take notice. If they get acknowlegement then they can force a politician into a position of saying whether it should be allowed or not. If they say yes, then they risk turning followers of major religions against them, if they say no then it's a threat to free speech. I'd imagine most savvy politicians are going to ignore them, but you can never tell.

The problem is that people here, especially on the left wing, seem blind to anything but the obvious, and that's a problem. When it's a move like this taken before the media there is always a lot more to it. You don't get a coalition like this going to say "it's a dick move", you do it to get public and political attention for a purpose, otherwise you just say it, and since it's freedom of speech people just move on without going "oh gee, look at all the major religions involved".

What they say, and what they are actually saying behind it, aren't always the same thing. You need to look towards the big picture, and the long term. 99% of the problems we face today (socially or otherwise) are from people not doing that. A good (fairly recent) example on a smaller scale would be a certain female vlogger, who got white knighted because she was being attacked, pointing out that she was a sleaze looking for attention, and unworthy of a platform (and probably deserving of the score) was pretty much ignored beyond the "face" of what she was saying. Now look at the issues revolving around the money she actually collected... "If only someone had seen that one coming". Same basic thing, larger scale.

What in the flying fuck are you on about? How does Feminist Frequency have any bearing on this?

You're also pulling one hell of a slippery slope. Recognising that some things are not pleasant to say/do (and no matter how you spin it, a fighting game based around people's deities is pretty offensive to them, even if it seems trivial to us) is not even close to attempting to ban it. If they were attempting to ban it, that would be something else. But they aren't.

dragongit:
Sorry for being ironic, but Jesus Christ! There have been worst depictions of religion in videogames before. I'm actually part Asatru, and I enjoy seeing Odin kicking ass. Seriously, get your religious relic out of your butts and allow us to enjoy games. If they get away with any form of banning of this game, they might be givin leverage to change more. All it takes is an excuse for some groups.

To be fair your religion does have alot of gods that work really good as action charecters which might decrease any offensiveness. On a side note was really excited to hear they included Ymir father of Giants but was kinda dissapointed by him. I mean his body was supposed to be the material with which the entire world was made. I knew he couldn't be larger than the entire earth but still I feel like they could have made him a little more intimidating. On another side note Odin has to be the coolest diety of any religion, save perhaps for Thor and Baldur.

It's good to see the Catholics step up on the moral side of an issue for a change, I'm happy to see this. Personally I don't see the problem with smite as one of religious irreverence. However, I do think that the portrayal of Kali and the absense of other gods/religious figures from other modern religions reveals a problematic ethnocentric orientalalism outlook towards the religion of Hinduism and its followers, which IMO is definately something worth making some noise about. Personally, I think that if they had David in it or Mary (in a string bikini, of course) this wouldn't really be a problem. Context is everything people-it isn't the fact that Kali is being represented poorly in the game, but rather that the Hindu religion was singled out from all of the modern religions for portrayal in their game over the abrahamic faiths, which have many more worshippers because of the developers preconceptions of the 'exotic east' made them mentally link Hinduism with various ancient 'dead' religions.

I think they are right in that their religions are being trivialized. Treated like folklore to be used as source material. But it's not folklore to them. It's everyday life in its now and it' real for them.

Any Christians out there? How would you feel to see Jesus and your God as just some characters in a roster and fighting some meaningless insignificant fight (something they would never do based off of what they represent)

With that being said, I don't think the game should be "forced off the shelves".

The picture is on the right, not on the left.

Pedantic douchebagman away!

:In My Own Honest Opinion:

I, on the other hand, actually went on to wiki these supreme beings ONLY AFTER I came across them in the game. The game actually got me interested to learn more about who they really are and their own respective roles in each religion/pantheon.

For I am not a religious person myself. But, because of playing the game I can say I got to learn more about these supreme beings.

So I guess I'm somewhat... grateful?? Peace ^^V

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or