EA Defends Origin From Hardcore Crowd

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

EA Defends Origin From Hardcore Crowd

Origin faces backlash from core gamers, but so did Steam, says EA.

If you've been paying attention to the gaming scene over the last few months, you've probably noticed that Origin, the Electronic Arts digital distribution platform, is not very popular 'round these parts. Whether or not the backlash is warranted, EA has taken a few steps towards addressing gamers' concerns that Origin is not as friendly a platform as Valve's analogous Steam service. EA acknowledges that it has had its share of difficulties trying to appease core gamers, but believes that Origin is on the right track with new initiatives like offering to list crowd-funded games for free.

"The hardcore sometimes has issues with Origin, but they seem to love these crowd-funded games," says David DeMartini, chief of Origin at EA. "It was one of the few things we have done that wasn't controversial and nobody had anything negative to say." Judging by some of the reactions on this very site, DeMartini has a somewhat liberal definition of "nobody." At the same time, Origin's embrace of indie developers does seem to have fostered some goodwill for the sometimes-controversial service. "Origin represents a change," DeMartini adds, "and anytime EA does something that is significant in the industry, it generates a certain amount of reaction."

While Steam seems to be the go-to digital distribution service these days, DeMartini is quick to point out that its status as the darling of PC gamers everywhere is a relatively recent development. "People forget that when Steam launched, there was a lot of backlash from the core," he explains. Whether gamers' ire with Origin will ever peter out is hard to tell at this point, but between its support for crowd-funded games and the soothing, curative powers of time and hindsight, the hardcore crowd may have to eventually find something new to hate. Then again, EA has been wrong before.

Source: MCVUK

Maybe so, but steam offers me at present the better service of the two, so I will stick with that.

If Origin can prove it can be better than Steam, and not trying to constantly excuse itself, then I may think of switching.,

Agreed with the above, I have nothing against origin, and if I didn't need it to play my Bioware adventures I wouldn't even bother. There's just no real reason for choosing Origin over Steam.

The difference is that Steam was the first serious digital distribution network. They made plenty of mistakes.

Origin has the benefit of a decade of Steam's mistakes, yet they continue to make *EXACTLY THE SAME ONES*. They're even managing to make the mistakes that Steam managed to not only avoid, but explicitly called out so that other distribution networks would be able to benefit from those experiences.

That's the problem people have with Origin: This is the year 2012, and they've produced a service that isn't even as good as Steam was *when it launched*.

The thing is this EA. If you want to compete you have to engage in a price war. If we can buy EA games at your store for 5$ less than Steam or in retail you are going to get the market turning towards you.

If you stop with the constant fucking phissing for data with Origin then people might trust you better. It's fucking ridiculous EA I had to install origin on a portable HDD just so you wouldn't stick your nose in my business.

What if you actually try offering bonuses to buying games on origin, like 10% off future DLC if you buy here. Save up EA gold with purchases to spend on games and discounts.

In other words fire your entire fucking marketing department and hire people with IQ's higher than 1.

EA's answer to every criticism: We didn't do anything wrong, YOU'RE all just haters.
And ENTITLED ones at that!

Oops sorry that last bit was actually Bioware's white knights.

Origin is run by EA, Steam is run by Valve, it's going to take a hell of a lot to get me to even consider using Origin.

Oh, and exclusives aren't going to persuade me EA, not if the last couple of years is anything to go by.

No EA. We don't like you because you somehow manage to sound both Apologetic and Pretentious and uptight, like we're emitting a bad smell you don't want to be around.

Now for the last time, stop talking and let your actions do the talking for you for once.

Your unnecessary prodding and baiting of the gaming crowd is nothing but irritating at this point. We don't like you, you need to wait 6 months for it to die down and just talk about your good points to the right people and let THEM convince us.

Yes, Steam had alot of issues at first, but developers using it and it's improvements let people flock to it eventually. They didn't have to do press release after press release except within it's own community to try and improve the service.

Try talking to the people actually using origin and asking what you can do to improve their using it. This needs to be your focus for at LEAST a year.

Edit: I hate dyslexia some days.

kinda sounds like their grasping at straws to me, since they've already said they will never be as good as steam because they won't have the sales steam has, that, and coupled with the fact they literally have nothing i want to play further hamstrings them for me.

still, it's cute how they insist on pretending they still matter for anything OTHER the EA games

But Origin had Steam to learn from.
Steam was one of a kind when it was released, and here comes Origin strutting in after Steam is active for - what - 6 years? And Origin somehow still fucks shit up.

I'm still trying to figure out what EA thinks Origin has over Steam. Casting exclusive games aside as both sides has those, Origin currently has a platform that has, less games than some of the most obscure distributors, has a history marred with accusations of being spyware, shady policies, and overall generally poor customers service.

What reason is there for me to include Origin as a distributor that I purchase games from when I can go look on Steam, GamersGate, Greenmangaming or Getgamesgo and probably find what I want, cheaper?

EA, the hardcore crowd are never going to be won over. Your best bet is to keep pushing it to the Battlefield crowd and hope you can build some sort of loyalty from them.

You'll fail, but at least the rest of us won't have to listen to you pontificating at us about how terrible we are for not liking your sub-par product.

Dear EA,

Do you remember in the scene in Rocky where Mickey was yellin' at Rocky for not trying hard enough, and how Rocky countered with saying Apollo was an underdog once too, so just calm down and Rocky will eventually be the champ if he just waits long enough?

No? Good, because that scene never existed because that's never how underdogs become successful. And right now you are so underdog there are paw prints on your forehead.

Being competitive isn't just doing the exact same things the champ did seven years ago. It's forcing the champ to play the game a whole new way.

Sincerely,
A devout Battlefield fan who's really upset about this poorly implemented, half-assed program that's surviving via shear thickheaded executives tagging along throwing money rather than smart business plans and creative strategies.

Change? Significant? Valve has a good 7 year+ head start on that stand. And yea, 9 years ago, we didn't have HD TVs or I Pad, we didn't even have Blueray. Times have changed and what was once scary and new has become common place in every day life. It took them a while to get to where they were, earning trust amongst publishers and developers. As others have said there were bumps along the way, but garenteed almost all PC gamers have Steam now.

Origin however just feels clunky. I've downloaded the client because I was suckered into getting SWTOR back late December. I just for the hell of it booted it up and it's rather a mess to navigate. The games and their demos are on the same page, along with ALL their DLC so it's a bit of a jumbled mess. Let us not forget that at the present Steam has several hundred games at their disposal, while Origin has a fraction of those numbers, if even that.

Another thing that I can tell more or less from Steam, against Origin, is the actual ability to build communities straight from the client. Orginizing groups and friends with ease.

The only thing Origins has against Steam are it's "exclusive games" which only until recently wern't exclusive, but EA figured it wanted all the pie instead of a good chunk of it.

Steam was launched in 2004. Origin was launched in 2011 after examining the success of Steam for seven years worth of updates. They don't get to pull the early version excuse.

1337mokro:
The thing is this EA. If you want to compete you have to engage in a price war. If we can buy EA games at your store for 5$ less than Steam or in retail you are going to get the market turning towards you.

If you stop with the constant fucking phissing for data with Origin then people might trust you better. It's fucking ridiculous EA I had to install origin on a portable HDD just so you wouldn't stick your nose in my business.

What if you actually try offering bonuses to buying games on origin, like 10% off future DLC if you buy here. Save up EA gold with purchases to spend on games and discounts.

In other words fire your entire fucking marketing department and hire people with IQ's higher than 1.

just about this.

there are so many things they could do (as mentioned, have origin exclusive mark down's on items if you buy dlc through it or have your games purchased through them.) but they are just too damn stubborn and run around with their head cut off, while spouting superiority to piss customers off even more.

When STEAM launched, my friends and I hated it with a fiery passion.

It sucked ass, and was pointless.

steam at least works pretty fine, despite some flaws that you cant use it if your not connected to the net.
plus, steam at least has discounts and using paypal works. origin on the other hand doesnt have these options. they say it supports paypal but it doesnt work at all. and €A will never have discount. they are tooooo greedy.

Sober Thal:

And it got fixed. In fact, it became seriously awesome. Origin on the other hand didn't even try to learn from Steam's beginnings and instead went ahead and screwed the pooch from the get-go and is still nowhere near running out of lube, it appears.

No EA, this is not about rough beginnings. It's not even about service as such. It's about what's behind Origin. You are. EA. Your constant and endless dick moves (like making games exclusive to Origin in the first place) keep alienating the "core" gamers. As long as you keep it up, anything tainted by your vile and filthy presence will be considered just as vile and filthy.

Considering those fairly serious drawbacks, Origin's failure to be a half-way decent digital distribution platform and games manager lands it somewhere right beneath diphtheria on the scales of desirability.

I know you're in quite deep with Origin at this point. All that money spent on it and all that PR and shit. Still... just give up. I know you don't want to. I know you want to pretend that we don't know you're evil and largely a significant detriment to gaming in general. It's just not going to happen. Cut your losses right now, fall to your knees and lock your kisser around the southern regions of Valve, praying for a good deal on distribution. Long and short term that'll earn you both more money and more respect from the 'core' gamers you want to pilfer money from.

LOL!!! All this did was remind me to check the latest Steam sale!!!!

Edit: Sweet RAGE for 75% off! Thanks Steam!

Deviate:

Sober Thal:

snip

Yep, we hated it about that much too.

Neofishie:
Dear EA,

Do you remember in the scene in Rocky where Mickey was yellin' at Rocky for not trying hard enough, and how Rocky countered with saying Apollo was an underdog once too, so just calm down and Rocky will eventually be the champ if he just waits long enough?

No? Good, because that scene never existed because that's never how underdogs become successful. And right now you are so underdog there are paw prints on your forehead.

Being competitive isn't just doing the exact same things the champ did seven years ago. It's forcing the champ to play the game a whole new way.

Sincerely,
A devout Battlefield fan who's really upset about this poorly implemented, half-assed program that's surviving via shear thickheaded executives tagging along throwing money rather than smart business plans and creative strategies.

Nice.

And you know for Steam, its just business as usual. Its summer sale time and I just gave Steam another $20
Oh I am sure Valve has risk plans set aside for if EA ever pulls its head out of its Origin. But alas EA seems to taint everything it touches (at least in the last few years).

Sincerely,
A Battlefield fan who can't play Battlefield 3 because he has standards.

Metalrocks:
steam at least works pretty fine, despite some flaws that you cant use it if your not connected to the net.

Actually if you are connected at some point, then hit the go offline button under the 'Steam' drop down menu you can play all of your already installed games with no net connection. Just have to reconnect if you want to download/buy new stuff.

The difference is we trust Valve to understand the customer. That the service is there to be a Service and not just as a tool to exploit the customer. Gabe's said this repeatedly - the better job they do making the customer happy, the more stuff they sell and the more money they make! You scratch my back, I fill your wallet.

EA's going to have to do a hell of a lot of work to convince me that their plethora of empty suits ( http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-06-david-demartini-origin-wants-to-be-the-hub ) will ever comprehend this or view the customer as anything but the enemy.

The difference with Steam and Origin is that Valve made up for it in the end. How likely is it that EA will make up for it in any way? Their PC games are still 60 dollars.

DVS BSTrD:
EA's answer to every criticism: We didn't do anything wrong, YOU'RE all just haters.

As a Biodrone I take offense, we all hate EA.

OT: Origin, fix yourself then judge others please.

Saviordd1:

DVS BSTrD:

As a Biodrone I take offense, we all hate EA.

OT: Origin, fix yourself then judge others please.

Well obviously there is a difference. You can be a Bioware fan but hate the current crop of shit being poured out by them and EA like a pair of symbiotic beings who decide to go parasite on a third party. You know, loving Dragon Age: Origins, Jade Empire, pretty much anything released before Dragon Age 2.

Then you got the apologistic sect who doesn't see any differentiation between the Bioware then and the EA/Bioware-Mythic creature now.

Kind of like how you have Old Squaresoft who made kick-ass Final Fantasies and a whole lot of other sweet games, and the Square-Enix now who stumbles about and can never really reach that sweet point like they could.

EA, if you want to be successful, you have to give a bit back but you won't because your only reason for living is to make sure all you see is dollar signs by any means necessary.

I doubt it will ever see widespread acceptance like steam has from the hardcore, this is ea we are talking about, for every good thing they do, they have to do 20 bad things.

OK, no one said anything negative about EA wanting to pass off Origin as an indie-crowd sourced haven? Really? So I just imagined all those articles raging about EA being delusional about listing the games that are financed that way because companies like EA have forced them into that? Really? Damn...I think I've got to restock my meds 'coz they ain't working no more'.

If EA continues being EA (as it will), Origin will remain a massive pile of shit. If Mass Effect 3 had been on Steam, I would never have touched the damn thing. Nothing about Origin makes me want to use it in the slightest. This will be no different.

Seems like EA tends to notice trends without paying any attention to what people are saying.

Let me be honest, nobody with half a brain likes digital distribution even a little bit. People do not like having no control over what they buy. As the industry started forcing people onto digital platforms, where even buying a disc just made you DL it online anyway, STEAM wound up becoming a darling by dropping their prices. The big arguement was why should someone pay the same price for a product they don't control and represents a risk through dependance on a digital service. Noticing that the promised lowering of prices that was going to come with digital distribution never manifested, as publishers just kept prices the same and pocketed the money saved on discs, packaging, shipping, and other things. STEAM has shown that they can lower the prices of games by as much as 75% (even on fairly new titles) and still make a profit. When your paying $5-$10 for a game as opposed to $50 ot $60 it softens the impact. STEAM is kind of keeping the promise with their sales that digital would lower the cost of gaming substantially... and people have noticed that.

Origin really brings nothing to the table, it's intrusive, and has all the negatives of digital services, but also charges top dollar for it's games. There is no benefit from buying from Origin as opposed to having a disc in hand without any kind of DRM, it costs the same thing as buying a game in a brick and mortar store.

What's more EA kind of shot themselves in the foot with the recent rants about how STEAM sales were "devalueing Intellectual Property" when really they kind of show what games should cost, as opposed to what EA wants to sell them for and the monster profits it wants to make.

There is also the matter of STEAM's community, their support isn't the best, but it is there, and tends to get the job done, there are a good number of users, a lot of differant groups, and a lot of tie ins through STEAM like their give away sites, and everything else.

What's more as STEAM was the first to the party, most people who obtained digital content there became invested in the service in part to keep their digital games all in one place. Having to worry about five or six differant sites for differant games is a pain in the rear. What's more STEAM's prices encourage you to buy more and more stuff from them, as opposed to taking a "we have you by the wrinklies since your here already, now we are going to squeeze".

Oh yes, and Origin generally sucks in terms of support. Back when I pre-ordered TOR EA messed up with the codes they send to gamestop. My CE of TOR wound up being registered as a standard edition. Upon getting a proper code for a CE pre-order I couldn't put the code into my account since it had the standard version listed and you couldn't upgrade a product you already had. Customer service told me to make a second account until they could resolve the problem, and they would eventually merge the accounts. In the process of juggling two accounts I wind up making mistakes an installing a couple of games to each (since I have to logout and then log back in), leading to me having to play games with Origin every time I want to play Amalur or TOR, or whatever else, to make sure I'm under the right account. Origin has yet to merge my accounts or find any way to solve this problem, and every time I've sent inquiries it's been ignored... the root of this problem all coming from EA screwing up their pre-order codes, making promises to merge placeholder accounts used for the proper accounts, and then never bothering to work on their system archetecture.

Indeed I just cancelled my TOR account, I've been playing a lot of other games on and off, and honestly juggling Origin back and forth finally got to be too annoying for me. I've pretty much stopped playing all of my games on Origin, and really, despite having hundreds of dollars in software tied up in it, I'm probably just going to cut my losses instead of continueing to mess around with it.

In short EA and Origin blow chips, they can't update products based on better versions of the same thing (upgrading from standard to collector's), and even after months they have yet to find ways to do things like merge multiple accounts which is something they had allegedly been working on since the first day TOR pre-orders became availible.

EA wonders why people hate Origin, well, they should ask what they have ever done to get people to like it. With STEAM it wasn't hatred of STEAM in paticular, but what it represented digitally. Origin isn't hated because it's something new, and radical, and we aren't used to it, it's because it's a poorly run, poorly maintained mess, it's like STEAM's retarded cousin. It's pretty much the second coming of Microsoft's "Games For Windows Live", execept without the excuse that it's a new thing and trying to co-habitate with a console based digital network (sharing gamerscore with XBL and such).

shiajun:
OK, no one said anything negative about EA wanting to pass off Origin as an indie-crowd sourced haven? Really? So I just imagined all those articles raging about EA being delusional about listing the games that are financed that way because companies like EA have forced them into that? Really? Damn...I think I've got to restock my meds 'coz they ain't working no more'.

What is negative about it? That is actually a smart move on EA's part. People need to get the content out to the people who crowd source these games, and EA said the would do it for free for a short period of time. The goal is to get people using the service. With the free period (30 days?) it acts as a way for someone to use the service (download the game they crowd sourced) and decide if they like the service. If they don't the don't, if they do they do.

Croaker42:

Neofishie:
Dear EA,

Sincerely,

Nice.

And you know for Steam, its just business as usual. Its summer sale time and I just gave Steam another $20
Oh I am sure Valve has risk plans set aside for if EA ever pulls its head out of its Origin. But alas EA seems to taint everything it touches (at least in the last few years).

Sincerely,
A Battlefield fan who can't play Battlefield 3 because he has standards.

Seems kind of harsh to boycott a game because it's on Orgin. I can understand the Mass Effect 3 boycott since there was a lot of crap going on with it but BF3 is a decent and fun game that has managed to avoid pissing it's fans off too bad despite being stuck with EA. The whole Premium thing is just a chance to take a bite of COD Elite and up till this point the DLC has been decent (Now if they would only stop breaking the game every patch with glitch weapons). To me BF3 is one of least serious offenders and so long as EA doesn't make DICE drive the series into the ground with cheap business tatics and horrible DLC I'll probably still play it. I still hate what EA has done to Mass Effect, The Sims, Crysis, Simcity, Deadspace, and Command and Conquer but BF3 is still somewhat ok.

Therumancer:

Let me be honest, nobody with half a brain likes digital distribution even a little bit.

Not exactly true. There's quite a lot of us out there that find Steam (and digital distribution in general) very handy and practical. Physical media on the other hand is far less practical considering the inevitable decay of the medium in question (scratched discs or whatever else) and requiring physical space. Digital distribution on the other hand means that anywhere there's internet, there's access to your entire library. Even if HDDs go tits up or any other calamity strikes, you'll still be able to download what you want when you want it.

Hell, most of those services allow you to make offline backups. Some of them don't even have any kind of DRM, like Good Old Games. It's also highly practical from a customer point of view. In the case of Steam it's one single client containing a games manager, a downright amazing shop with a veritable cornucopia of features including but not limited to demos, wishlists, massive sales and so on and so forth. There's the social network and there's the fairly decent support.

All of this for (often) less money than the physical copy costs and you often get so much more as well. As for control, I have just as much control (and more) of my products as I ever did over any physical copy of games requiring activation of any kind. Which is pretty much all that are released these days.

So yeah, your derogatory little statement up there does not hold very true.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here