NASA Releases Kinect Mars Rover Game

NASA Releases Kinect Mars Rover Game

Experience the Curiosity rover's terrifying descent to Mars for free.

According to staff at NASA, the scariest part of the agency's upcoming mission to Mars will be the part where the Curiosity rover (known in official circles as the Mars Science Laboratory) catapults itself down through the Martian atmosphere at incredible speed. Nicknamed the "7 Minutes of Terror," the drop depends completely on a frankly astonishing number of highly-sophisticated, fragile-looking components. To convey the difficulty of this manoeuvre, NASA has invited onlookers to give it go themselves using a free Kinect game now available on the Xbox Live Arcade.

Named Mars Rover Landing, the game tasks you with steering the Curiosity capsule through its perilous descent using bodily gestures that regular Kinect players will be familiar with. Players will have to keep the craft stable as it hurtles towards the ground at 13,000 miles per hour, ensuring that its parachute and other landing gear are properly deployed.

"We went to some pains to reflect some authentic details in the game experience," said Jeff Norris of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, the lab leading the Curiosity mission, in an interview with USA Today. "We are hoping that people a little bit of a taste of what we all are going to be going through late on the night of August 5."

"This is one of the most tense and nail-biting periods of time that any of us face because during that time we're waiting to see if all the work that has been put into not only the entry, descent and landing system, but into the vehicle itself pays off and produces for us a healthy rover on the surface of Mars," continued Norris.

Interested space-fans not in possession of a Kinect can find a variety of other ways to experience Curiosity's mission on NASA's website.

August 5 is the set landing date for the $2.5 billion rover, which forms the main component of this ambitious mission to gather data directly from the surface of Mars. Should its real-life landing fail, the consequences for both the mission and NASA will be grave. With this in mind, it's no wonder that the engineers and scientists behind the project sound so worried about the descent. Good luck, guys.

Source: USA Today via i09

Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen! (No, not you, sit down. I know you're from Albania and don't pay to fund NASA and your country is better etc.)

Seriously though, this is a cool way to get people interested in SPAAAAAAACE! research currently ongoing.

Nicknamed the "7 Minutes of Terror," the drop depends completely on a frankly astonishing number of highly-sophisticated, fragile-looking components.

What better way to experience that then with the most temperamental and inaccurate control system available today?

We all know how well moonbase alpha turned out!

John madden!

You want us to land a Rover, which is normally calculated months in advance on a some the biggest super computer systems on the planet, with the Kinect. NOTHING CAN POSSIBLY GO WRONG! :D

I can also see the sequel already!

Mars Rover Landed: Kinect

Stare at rocks! Pick up rocks to scan for water! Stare at rocks! Speed across the rocky landscape at .02 miles per hour! STARE AT ROCKS!

imnotparanoid:

John madden!

Holla holla get dolla!

imnotparanoid:

John madden!

aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou

UUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH

Kytseo:

imnotparanoid:

John madden!

aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou

UUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH

Curses! You beat me to the Moonbase Alpha joke.

Goddammit! They're not releasing a PC version! Many people do not HAVE an Xbox 360 with Kinect! Once I see a PC version (With joystick support) then I can make a comment!

DVS BSTrD:

Nicknamed the "7 Minutes of Terror," the drop depends completely on a frankly astonishing number of highly-sophisticated, fragile-looking components.

What better way to experience that then with the most temperamental and inaccurate control system available today?

well it is going to be a blast! 95% of the time.

DVS BSTrD:

I'm wondering about this too - if it is meant to simulate what NASA are going to be doing, does that mean that they are going to use awkward full-body motion detection? I mean, personally the dual thumbstick controller works best for flight controls in my experience... not sure what was going through their minds here.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here