Sam Raimi Departs World of Warcraft

Sam Raimi Departs World of Warcraft

The Spider-Man director says he's no longer a part of the oft-delayed World of Warcraft film.

In 2009, Spider-Man director Sam Raimi announced that he'd signed on to direct a movie based on Blizzard's World of Warcraft universe. In 2010, he talked about how much he loved the game and how excited he was to be attached to the project, although a few months later he shuffled the film down his priority list a bit to make room for a big-time Wizard of Oz remake. Not much happened in 2011. But now, in 2012, the news has turned sour: Raimi has rather abruptly revealed that he is no longer involved with the project.

He wasn't what you'd call forthcoming with details, but it sounds like the wheels came off due to a simple scheduling conflict. "Actually, they don't have me directing World of Warcraft anymore because when I took the Oz job, they had to move on to another director," Raimi told Crave Online following his Oz: The Great and Powerful press conference at Comic Con. "They had to start making it."

There's no word on who might replace him, as this is apparently the first indication that Raimi isn't still on the job, but there's no questioning the veracity of the statement either, since it came from the man himself. It's an unfortunate loss - Raimi has an undeniably deft hand - and it just won't be the same without Bruce and Ted, but on the upside, it's nice to hear, even indirectly, that the wheels are still turning.

Source: Crave Online

Aww, I was looking forward to the crazy first person serial-killer cam zooming in on a fluffy bunny and crushing it with a hammer!

When ever movies exchange directors so often and scripts over the years I've never heard a movie coming out good after this. Also considering that video game movies have never been above average I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat for this movies release. Which makes me sad because the Warcraft universe has alot to work with for both a good summer action romp and/or a deeper story type of movie.

Huh, I thought after all this time it had died or something. Surprised to see it still alive.

It would only go 'el for him if he stayed.

I never actually thought it was real. I guess it'll be coming to theaters, "soon."

o.0

some one was gonna make a WoW movie? .... why ....

City of Heroes would go over better given the current climate

I still can't understand why they even want to attempt this movie. Sounds like a waste of time.

To be honest, this news does not upset me in the slightest.

Lunar Templar:
o.0

They have a city of heroes movie

It's called the incredibles

It's awesome

R.Nevermore:

Lunar Templar:
o.0

They have a city of heroes movie

It's called the incredibles

It's awesome

true, it was good.

but not the same thing, though, in thinking about it >.> not sure how a CoH movie would start, let alone flow.

Heh. By the time they get around to making the thing, WoW will be one foot in the casket.

And I still can't help but get frustrated at the fact that they're making a "World of Warcraft" movie, not a "Warcraft" movie. Gits.

Well there goes any hope that the WoW movie would be any good...

Oh no, what will the LRR crew do for the finale for the Ways to... videos now?

[quote="Hammeroj" post="7.382391.15088596"

And I still can't help but get frustrated at the fact that they're making a "World of Warcraft" movie, not a "Warcraft" movie. Gits.[/quote]Most likely because WoW is a more recognizable named to the mass public. Kind of like how they called the new Karate Kid movie "Karate Kid" in N.America and Europe and "The Kung Fu Kid" in Asia. There's no karate used in the movie either way but remakes sell in America...

What is the movie about anyway

World of Warcraft coming SOON(tm) to a theater near you.

(SOON trademarked by Activision-Blizzard Inc, in cooperation with developers, GMs, and related customer service staff. All Rights Reserved, MMXII)

DVS BSTrD:
It would only go 'el for him if he stayed.

NO! Darn it, now Aggra's stuck in my head!!!

On Topic, I think that no matter what they did, the movie wouldn't meet the standerds that the fans would have. There is too much content and lore that can be shoved into only 1 movie.

This movie is going to be terrible, I just know it.

The new director they will get for this, better be familiar with fantasy movies, and not just be responsible for some B-grade horror flicks and a corny Spiderman trilogy.

So is Ted signed on to direct it now?

I forsee this falling through...

1- They are remaking spiderman for a reason
2- Im full on whiny superheroes going emo
3-seriously he messed up spiderman..., put him in the pit with M night

I had honestly forgotten that Sam Raimi was signed on to direct the WoW movie.

Perhaps, it was my lack of faith in film adaptations of video games that caused me to forget.

No offense, Sam.

"Actually, they don't have me directing World of Warcraft anymore because when I took the Oz job, they had to move on to another director,"

*crosses fingers*
Please not Tim Burton.

Hopefully they get someone that actually knows fantasy films to direct it. I have no idea how far along it is but I hope it's salvageable. Also, call it Warcraft movie wtf is this World of Warcraft movie, just sounds so awkward.

Wait a minute? When were they going to make this inevitable train wreak of a movie? A movie based on a fucking MMO. They're really scratching the bottom of the barrel now. Hell, they've broken through and are now digging deep into the earth for ideas.

octafish:
So is Ted signed on to direct it now?

Good god I hope so. His performance as the deadite witch in Evil Dead 2 was rivetting. But, he'll probably get beaten out by Uwe Boll.

Scorpid:
When ever movies exchange directors so often and scripts over the years I've never heard a movie coming out good after this. Also considering that video game movies have never been above average I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat for this movies release. Which makes me sad because the Warcraft universe has alot to work with for both a good summer action romp and/or a deeper story type of movie.

Don't forget that the fact that it was a movie set in the warcraft setting is in and of itself more than enough to indicate just how hellishly bad it'll be. Sure it might look nice, but the movies plot will be so horrendous that it wouldn't surprise me that it'll be used as an example of how to not write a movie plot in the future.

I'm still pissed off that they're going with a live action film in stead of 3DCG. I mean holy shit, could you imagine a feature length Blizzard cutscene?

Halyah:

Scorpid:

Don't forget that the fact that it was a movie set in the warcraft setting is in and of itself more than enough to indicate just how hellishly bad it'll be. Sure it might look nice, but the movies plot will be so horrendous that it wouldn't surprise me that it'll be used as an example of how to not write a movie plot in the future.

Honestly I strongly disagree that the Warcraft setting can only be used for something cheesy and hellishly bad because it's Warcraft but... I think it's far more likely you'll be right then the movie will be something truly worth seeing... Sigh.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here