Zombies Eat the World in The War Z MMO

Zombies Eat the World in The War Z MMO

There's another zombie apocalypse game in town, and this one may remind you of a certain Arma 2 mod.

I'm sure none of you are tired of zombies, right? Those frisky little devils still warm the cockles of your heart no doubt, and luckily enough new development studio Hammerpoint Interactive has created a survival MMO for you. This RPG The War Z will put you in the travel-worn boots of a survivor in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. If you're getting Day Z flashbacks at this point, you're spot on; this game isn't very far away from the Arma 2 mod that has become so popular it nearly fried its servers.

According to executive producer Sergey Titov, Hammerpoint was working on The War Z before the Arma 2 mod took off, but once it did Hammerpoint started paying close attention. "We were like, 'Wow, that's cool, we're not the only ones making something like this,'" Titov said. Hammerpoint soon realized that the success of Day Z meant that they were on the right track, and they also started paying attention to what worked and didn't work for the Arma 2 mod. Titov makes it sound as though Day Z was a beta they didn't have to pay for, as he admits that "yes, of course some of our latest design decisions were influenced by the Day Z community forums."

The War Z will hit beta soon, and is due for a PC release this autumn.

Source: Eurogamer

Sillies, you forgot to add the word "World" before War.

Well, if its like Day Z except cleaner I'll certainly play it.

Free to Play or Pay to Play?

I would love a good zombie MMO, especially if it is basically Day Z but properly polished, but my lack of funds means that I'm not going to pay subscription for one, so if this is F2P then colour me interested. Still, it's good to see an official FPS sandbox zombie game getting the go ahead.

Hey, this mod is getting ridiculous amounts of attention. Let's steal their idea and entire playerbase.

5ilver:
Hey, this mod is getting ridiculous amounts of attention. Let's steal their idea and entire playerbase.

It worked for CoD with hardcore mode. lol.

Hey, that name is similar to World War Z. Zero connection though. I suggest he change the name to avoid the 2nd half of the shitstorm. Whether hes truthful about his time spent on this or not matters fuck all, but he only makes things worse by having a name that looks like he is trying to rip off max brooks.

At first I thought this was World War Z MMO, but then I noticed it's basically just Day Z, wait, War Z or. how why in the wut?
I liked how one article I read on another site said the two games shared similarities, but that War Z would feature the ability to switch to third person mode and would be free to play. Which Day Z also has. (free if you own Arma2)

Also curious on how they'll organize their servers and instances. What I like about DayZ is that the servers mostly allow max 50 players at a time, which makes the whole "you against the wilderness and the zombies, and IF you see someone else, you're not sure if they can be trusted or not"-feeling a lot better. War Z better keep the number of local players to a low number.

Hero in a half shell:

I would love a good zombie MMO, especially if it is basically Day Z but properly polished, but my lack of funds means that I'm not going to pay subscription for one, so if this is F2P then colour me interested. Still, it's good to see an official FPS sandbox zombie game getting the go ahead.

It's buy to play. They said it will be $30 but then no fee after that and free content updates.

NLS:
At first I thought this was World War Z MMO, but then I noticed it's basically just Day Z, wait, War Z or. how why in the wut?
I liked how one article I read on another site said the two games shared similarities, but that War Z would feature the ability to switch to third person mode and would be free to play. Which Day Z also has. (free if you own Arma2)

Also curious on how they'll organize their servers and instances. What I like about DayZ is that the servers mostly allow max 50 players at a time, which makes the whole "you against the wilderness and the zombies, and IF you see someone else, you're not sure if they can be trusted or not"-feeling a lot better. War Z better keep the number of local players to a low number.

They said that servers will be able to hold up to 250 players and they will allow people to host their own servers alongside their own for free.

Korten12:
-snip-

Only $30? That's like 20 then or similar price, and as a one off payment. Ohh, that's not bad at all! I think I'll have to keep an eye open for this.
In my opinion it will sink or swim on its customisability. It'll be the small things like map freedom, number and types of weapons, zombie AI, how survival based it is etc. that will decide whether I buy it or not. Here's hoping it's good!

Is there perma-death in this game?

DTWolfwood:
Is there perma-death in this game?

I hope it is. Like in DayZ, it will make you think carefully before you fire you gun, or run down the street, or whether or not you should try and talk to the stranger over there.

Edit:

The War Z has a Hardcore mode where death is permanent, like in DayZ.

Yes, it is an option.

5ilver:

Considering that there's been a new zombie game either announced or released roughly every thirteen minutes for the last five years or so, I don't find it hard to believe these guys were already working on this game prior to Day Z popping up on the radar.

I mean, the guy already admits they're studying Day Z for ideas on what to add/remove/improve on their own model. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'd admit they started making the game at all because of Day Z if it were the case.

I want this, I hate the controls for arma 2, so a good replacement would be amazing. Signed up for the beta, and I look forward to hunting zombies and players alike.

Hero in a half shell:

Its just a $30 game. So I'm pumped.

I am really looking foward to the game. I think it will have a mix of features from it's own game and DayZ. I like the whole survival idea and the unique ideas that will be in the game!

For those who are interest I found a forum for the game: www.thewarzgame.com/forums

5ilver:

"According to executive producer Sergey Titov, Hammerpoint was working on The War Z before the Arma 2 mod took off, but once it did Hammerpoint started paying close attention. "

Let's not jump to conclusions.

Mick Golden Blood:

5ilver:

"According to executive producer Sergey Titov, Hammerpoint was working on The War Z before the Arma 2 mod took off, but once it did Hammerpoint started paying close attention. "

Let's not jump to conclusions.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1293006/did-the-war-z-ripoff-dayz-discussion-inside

*jumps into conclusions*

OT:This is zynga all over again, I hope BI sues them for ripping off dayz.

And yes holy late post batman.

I set a section of The War Z on my site, if you are glad to share your scrennshots with other players, you can visit DotMMO.com

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here