Square Enix to Reveal Next Final Fantasy at 25th Anniversary Celebration

Square Enix to Reveal Next Final Fantasy at 25th Anniversary Celebration

Demos, music, and a celebration of Final Fantasy VII are also planned for the three-day event.

With Final Fantasy XIII-2 a fading memory and the status of Final Fantasy Versus XIII uncertain, the future of the long-running RPG series is a mystery. Square Enix is planning to reveal what's next for the franchise on September 1 during the publisher's Final Fantasy 25th anniversary celebration in Japan.

The event will be held in Shibuya from August 31 through September 2, with the first day exclusively for members of the press and Square Enix fan club. After that, the celebration opens to the public, and will feature several presentations and a demo event.

Among the presentations is the "Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga: New Developments Presentation" taking place on September 1, during which Square Enix has promised to reveal what's next for the Final Fantasy XIII project. The game's producer, director, and art director will be in attendance, as well as other members of the staff. Since Square Enix is focused on FFXIII and its main character Lightning, it sounds like the publisher is planning to announce Final Fantasy XIII-3.

For those in the Shibuya area interested in attending, there will also be a Final Fantasy XI music event, Final Fantasy XIV presentation, and even a special stage celebrating the 15th anniversary of Final Fantasy VII. No live broadcasts of the events have been planned, so the rest of us will just have to wait for the details to leak onto the internet later this summer.

Source: Andriasang

I used to not care about Final Fantasy at all until I played XIII. Maybe it's because I pre-ordered it and I have sunk-cost bias, or the fact that I did so it allowed for a MASSIVE discount for DoW2: Chaos Rising on Amazon, or maybe I just found it really fun (2 full playthroughs). Getting XIII-2 is definitely on my list.

I guess I'm looking forward to this.

As much as I like Lightning, I'm still upset about Versus. I can't believe that FFXIII-3 might come out before it. At least let me have Type-0 in English. It's about to be a year already.

...I will be looking into XIII-3 though. The ending for XIII-2 pissed me off.

Dammit square...I love you guys but you do seem to be afraid of making money lately.
Release FF:Type-O for the Vita in english!

Release FF:Versus XIII already! Going multi-platform wouldn't hurt.

After Versus, get to work on Kingdom Hearts 3! Nomura said he cannot start work on that until Versus is finished.

The World Ends With You 2...dammit Nomura, you hinted at it, fucking confirm it.

Kingdom Hearts HD Collection...MAKE IT HAPPEN! (Bring it to 360 also)

If they did all this, I would worship them...forever...

Lightning Saga: the quest to remove the stick.

AbstractStream:
As much as I like Lightning, I'm still upset about Versus. I can't believe that FFXIII-3 might come out before it. At least let me have Type-0 in English. It's about to be a year already.

...I will be looking into XIII-3 though. The ending for XIII-2 pissed me off.

Oh come on! Everyone's playthrough was different, you can't expect them to able to please everyone.

Just fucking give us Versus 13 already! How hard can it be to publish a game that all the fans think is the most interesting thing you've produced in years!

So who wants to bet that there will be a XIII-4 in the near future? Seems like a safe bet to me honestly.

oh wow this is bad, its almost like they don't want to admit that ff13 polarised fans. Lets face it about half the people who played ff13 didn't like it (ff13-2 sold half as many copys as 13) and at this point it looks like their in denial.
Sqaure ff13 didn't work out, its fine it happens, just stop trying to shove it on us and support/release versus 13 (witch looks and sounds much better) or move on to ff15.

Thirteen versus and type O. Maybe release be collection of all the final mix versions of the kh. Frankly I running out of ducks to give my once favorite gaming company. I m actually starting to like Nintendo more than square, and I fucking can't stand them except dos zelda games

I no longer care, no type zero outside japan and no FF13verus's, S/E get bankrupt already....

Well rumors are flying around again that Versus XIII has either been cancelled or moved into what will be FFXV. I suppose this event will be when we'll get confirmation on it or not, but I'm not holding my breath. Square's been doing all kinds of weird dancing around this massive XIII project and I'm not really buying into the hype much anymore because of it.

ZippyDSMlee:
I no longer care, no type zero outside japan and no FF13verus's, S/E get bankrupt already....

Hate to admit it but I had those exact thoughts.

GAunderrated:

ZippyDSMlee:

It seems when Square gets into financial issues is when they make the best stuff.
They have an incredible ability to pull company saving games out of their arse just in the nick of time.

I don't care anymore about what Square Enix have to offer. Versus was the last game I was actually looking forward to, and Nomura claimed to be creating a new trailer for it back in April/May. He also said Versus takes priority over remaking VII. I would hope so too, although it seems currently that milking the XIII/Lightning cashcow takes priority over everything else anyway. If they have cancelled Versus, then that's it for me. No more of my money will go to Square-Enix.

Eclpsedragon:

GAunderrated:

ZippyDSMlee:

It seems when Square gets into financial issues is when they make the best stuff.
They have an incredible ability to pull company saving games out of their arse just in the nick of time.

I can handle a REALY bad FF me once and and awhile but it seems they want to make crappy action games for the masses like bioware or Namco (only half the time the tales games are good to great, there I said it...lol).

And why do I hate bioware? Lack of depth in gameplay/skill systems and on the rails level design.

/rant end

/not really.... LOL

Oh jesus effing vhrist Square-Enix.

NO ONE LIKED FF13 YOU IDIOTS! GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS! MAKE SOMETHING NEW! NEEEEEEWWWWW!

Damn that had a lot of vile hate in that one >.<

Final Fantasy Series brought Square Soft out of financial oblivion -- it blazed trails, story telling-wise; but it's time for them to birth another IP that will take them into the future.

And if not, then stop promising so many freaking FF games! As to date, theirs Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIV (2.0 release coming later this year), and now Final Fantasy XIII-3.

Not to mention Kingdom Hearts: Epic Rigmarole
LOLZ

worldfest:
Final Fantasy Series brought Square Soft out of financial oblivion -- it blazed trails, story telling-wise; but it's time for them to birth another IP that will take them into the future.

And if not, then stop promising so many freaking FF games! As to date, theirs Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XIV (2.0 release coming later this year), and now Final Fantasy XIII-3.

Not to mention Kingdom Hearts: Epic Rigmarole
LOLZ

I dunno if they would take the series back to basics but with a choice of real time or turn based combat it would sell like crazy...unfortunately they want to make games for focus groups and zombies...

So FFXIII-3 then, yes?

As for Type-0 and Verses XIII, not gonna get all in a huffy until I hear more about these games on that day, assuming they talk about it of course.

But who exactly is their focus group? Fourteen Japanese men and women, who mostly enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2? or twelve westerners, who don't understand why the game play consists mostly of pressing 'x' every few seconds with weird j-pop in the background.

Needless to say, the DEMO didn't make me a big fan.

And this is just the problem Final Fantasy has. Who are they marketing to? They obviously haven't found a middle ground, so they're drawing out our patience with a XIII-3 to try and gauge the gaming community as a whole.

I think it has a huge potential to flop, or it could delightfully go the other way.

worldfest:
But who exactly is their focus group? Fourteen Japanese men and women, who mostly enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII-2? or twelve westerners, who don't understand why the game play consists mostly of pressing 'x' every few seconds with weird j-pop in the background.

Needless to say, the DEMO didn't make me a big fan.

And this is just the problem Final Fantasy has. Who are they marketing to? They obviously haven't found a middle ground, so they're drawing out our patience with a XIII-3 to try and gauge the gaming community as a whole.

I think it has a huge potential to flop, or it could delightfully go the other way.

Yup thats why they changed to a Jpop focused motif instead of staying with a more general fantasy motif. And the reason why Vaan was the main character to FF12.

Do people like Lightning? Is that a character people like? Because I was always under the impression that people hated her. I certainly do, but perhaps it's not such a pervading sentiment? XIII-2 wasn't bad, but it seems like they're beating a dead horsing and then proceeding to violate that horse's corpse in terrible, terrible ways. Final Fantasy is one of the few series that people expect to reinvent itself with new iterations. I'd think that would give developers a lot more creative drive, but I guess not.

Whatever, Capcom and SE are pretty much on much shit list now. Hopefully Atlus doesn't fuck up soon.

If by next Final Fantasy they mean XIII versus with a new title and numbering, then please, proceed Squeenix. It's about damn time.

The announcement will be that they'll release Versus after all. In 2027.

Verus XIII needs to come out so they can stop the spin off bullshit with Kingdom Hearts. It's frustrating as hell. XIII itself was trash that didn't need a fucking sequel.

Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy because it was meant to be the last game of a company that spawned into a franchise where you have the basic elements of a tale, a legend eternally retold for each generation. The second you dabble in bullshit sequels no matter how much people like them like FF 10-2 and FF 13-2 you cause stagnation and go against the point of what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy.

Yes it may be a joke that Final Fantasy that people joke about Final Fantasy MXII but it's a joke based upon their success, and not their failure. Hell even the lesser known RPG franchises know that their franchise needs to involve new worlds and characters that shouldn't be afraid to branch out and experiment with not only story, but also gameplay.

I actually had more fun playing The Last Remnant in terms of story(yes the main character's lines was still out of place in terms of narrative) and gameplay was a lot more entertaining and challenging than anything from the FF Franchise for the past half-decade.

Tenmar:
Final Fantasy was Final Fantasy because it was meant to be the last game of a company that spawned into a franchise where you have the basic elements of a tale, a legend eternally retold for each generation. The second you dabble in bullshit sequels no matter how much people like them like FF 10-2 and FF 13-2 you cause stagnation and go against the point of what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy.

Yes it may be a joke that Final Fantasy that people joke about Final Fantasy MXII but it's a joke based upon their success, and not their failure. Hell even the lesser known RPG franchises know that their franchise needs to involve new worlds and characters that shouldn't be afraid to branch out and experiment with not only story, but also gameplay.

I actually had more fun playing The Last Remnant in terms of story(yes the main character's lines was still out of place in terms of narrative) and gameplay was a lot more entertaining and challenging than anything from the FF Franchise for the past half-decade.

I prefer Last Story myself...
/lulz

Last Remnant was made for PC too. =^0^=

ZippyDSMlee:

I prefer Last Story myself...
/lulz

Last Remnant was made for PC too. =^0^=

1. I wish I could afford to buy some games right now. That and Xenoblade are pretty much on my list of games to buy when I get a job again. Also Muramasa if I can get a new copy.

2. Last Remnant was MUCH better on the PC than 360. Even remember doing a review for the 360 and saying it was one of the worst gameplay experiences of my life cause of the load times and how long battles took. I mean it took 2 minutes just to go from one part of a city to the next.

The PC version just knocked it out of the park and everything that basically hindered making the game playable was fixed and they went beyond enabling a lot more customization where all those special characters could actually be used instead of having special character as a leader and a bunch of random soldiers.

Personally I highly recommend the game but also encourage trying the demo because it certainly has that barrier where you either get the combat or you don't. Even included a double speed so after you put in the imput you could just speed up the fight for that turn. Great if you don't want to do all the quick time events for extra damage.

axlryder:
Do people like Lightning? Is that a character people like? Because I was always under the impression that people hated her. I certainly do, but perhaps it's not such a pervading sentiment? XIII-2 wasn't bad, but it seems like they're beating a dead horsing and then proceeding to violate that horse's corpse in terrible, terrible ways. Final Fantasy is one of the few series that people expect to reinvent itself with new iterations. I'd think that would give developers a lot more creative drive, but I guess not.

Whatever, Capcom and SE are pretty much on much shit list now. Hopefully Atlus doesn't fuck up soon.

You can't say SE is all terrible; they branch with other developers all across the world to give us greats like Deus Ex: Human Revolutions, by Eidelos Interactive.

It's sort of like a massive traditionally conservative, methodological church birthing smaller and less rigid establishments who are more relevant today; but in itself refuses change.

If we broaden our minds, history tells us that this does happen to companies all the time. Ford Model T's come to mind.

Oh, and I hated Lightning. She would have been a rave in 1997, but that's like bringing back the Backstreet boys, or 98 Degrees. I immediately saw Cloud in her and skipped every dialogue part she was in. Unfortunately, they also killed off my favorite FF character, Oerba Yun Fang. That's when I pretty much lost hope in SE.

Fuck sake just END IT! No one in the world cares about FF 13, even if they left it with that shitty cliffhanger ending from FF 13-2 I'd rather we just move on. I mean I like FF 13 but part 2 was awful and I'm in the minority of anyone who liked the characters.

TizzytheTormentor:
Dammit square...I love you guys but you do seem to be afraid of making money lately.
Release FF:Type-O for the Vita in english!

Release FF:Versus XIII already! Going multi-platform wouldn't hurt.

After Versus, get to work on Kingdom Hearts 3! Nomura said he cannot start work on that until Versus is finished.

The World Ends With You 2...dammit Nomura, you hinted at it, fucking confirm it.

Kingdom Hearts HD Collection...MAKE IT HAPPEN! (Bring it to 360 also)

If they did all this, I would worship them...forever...

Damn, ninja'd all the way.

Anyway, FFXIII-3? Really? I know the game is popular in Japan and all but...really? Are you releasing a new FFXIII sequel/spin-off/whatever every year or so or what's the an here, guys? Could it really be compared to, let's say, FFVII (Not my favorite FF but whatever) when it comes to popularity? And most importantly, do you guys really have nothing else to work on that you would prefer to work on a franchise that, whie it might be profitable, isn't being as awaited and demanded as all those games mentioned above?

If FFXIII-3 turns out to be true, I'll be pretty pissed...especially since I bought FFXIII-2's Collector's Edition as soon as it came out and now it's like 20 bucks or so. That tel me how good the game is (I haven't even opened it).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here