RuneScape Boasts Most Players of Any MMO

Pages 1 2 NEXT

RuneScape Boasts Most Players of Any MMO

Jagex celebrates 200 million users with a new boss and a look back at RuneScape's past.

Quick, off the top of your head, what's the most popular MMO? There are a couple contenders - World of Warcraft has, of course, held the top spot for some time, and it's still the standard-bearer other games refer to. Then there's League of Legends, which recently outpaced World of Warcraft in terms of sheer playtime. Now there's another, dark horse candidate: RuneScape. The browser MMO is celebrating a milestone of 200 million lifetime registered users, which is more than any other game of its type.

Registered users aren't necessarily active users, but it's still an impressive feat for the ten-year-old game. Developer Jagex is celebrating with a special website that keeps a running tally of current users, shows a timeline of major events over the course of the game's life, and even includes an infographic listing a variety of statistics for the game. The infographic boasts, among other things, more than 443 billion total minutes of playtime, 150 dragons killed per day, and 27 player deaths per second.

Released in early 2001, RuneScape is one of the longest-running MMOs in the business. While smaller titles may boast a longer official uptime, like the 15-year-old social MMO Furcadia, RuneScape has by far the most players combined with the longest run. Most of these players have registered in the past few years - RuneScape had only half as many players in late 2009. Jagex has grown its playerbase partly by keeping up with the times, releasing literally hundreds of updates and earning the Guinness World Record's Award for "Most Prolifically Updated MMORPG." The interactive timeline on the celebration website gives an interesting picture of just how far the game has come from its inception.

Jagex is also celebrating the milestone in-game with a new special boss that has, you guessed it, 200 million hitpoints. That's going to take a lot of clicking.

199 millions of those are bots, but still, 1 million is a pretty impressive number.

Raise your shameful hand if you have ever played this game.

:(

*Raises hand*

*raises hand*

Back in grade school some ten years ago...

I don't remember it looking like that game on the screen shot...

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

Still do, actually.

*hand up* Tried it once, fucking awful. Quit the next day.

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

Played it over a dial up connection. I remember it fondly, but I don't think I'd ever go back.

Psychemaster:

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

Still do, actually.

Have they changed significantly in anyway? The screenshot looks higher quality than what I remember. Granted, I haven't played the game in like 7 years.

*raises hand*

I wouldn't go so far as to call if awful, but I wasted way more time on this game then it warranted.

Fappy:

Psychemaster:

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

Still do, actually.

Have they changed significantly in anyway? The screenshot looks higher quality than what I remember. Granted, I haven't played the game in like 7 years.

I occasionally pop back whenever Steam is on the fritz, and they've been updating it, still can't stand it. Its the reason I never got into wow, the whole idea of it just doesn't appeal to me.

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

RuneScape? More like Run, Escape! AmIright?

*Hello, my name is Gardenia, and I'm a Runescape player*
Was, anyway. Back in 2004. It taught me valuable lessons. Most of them about avoiding scams.

Proud to be one of these users. This game was terrible but god did I love playing it when I was a kid.

Fappy:

Psychemaster:

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

Still do, actually.

A bit, mostly for members though, in the time I played back around 2008 or so they introduced a couple of new skills and were working on a huge quest line to do with the Dragons. The game looks nicer and for good or bad, many of the tasks are more automated with do X becoming more common. Then my friends quit and I realised how much of grind exponetial leveling becomes.

I don't get the hate for this game. It was a fun little time waster, in fact I enjoyed it enough to complete every single quest you can without being a paying member. I still occasionally go back, just to see how things have changed. Sadly, almost all of these updates are for members only, and I don't quite enjoy the game enough to pay real money for it. The only thing left for me in that game is skill grinding, and I doubt anything could ever convince me to mine 364,413 more chunks of iron ore.

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

I'm not going to raise my hand...oh I played the game it's just that I'm not ashamed. I have a lot of nostalgia memories of this game.

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

Hand raised here, though the only time I played it was in comp lab in high school. I hated that game so much, but it was one of the only things I could do to avoid being productive so it was certainly time well spent! Or something like that...

I used to play it quite a lot, but stopped a little while ago. Ever since Jagex got bought out by that IVP investment company and the original creators left the game has gone wayy downhill.

*Raises hand* Although I'll never no why. I could just make a .swf of a guy swinging an axe at a tree and watch it for 3 hours a day to simulate the experience

Had an account... for about a day.

Hooray I'm a meaningless statistic. (I'm sorry I lived in South East Asia and was used to far prettier Korean F2P MMO's even if they were less in depth so I was just so put off by the ugly)

...What are these articles for again?

still playing, don't care what people have to say about it, only have own opinions

the 200m hp boss itself is kind of a joke because they give you a (admittedly badass looking) event longbow that can deal up to 1m damage if you score a critical hit, and all it does is throw disco balls that explode harmlessly in your face

as for the game becoming different, the combat overhaul is currently in beta right now, and they're looking to add much more dynamic actions...although they're still trying to figure out a good balance between strategy in pvp and being able to pvm without having to pay attention every second

sadly, the main controlling interest is currently pushing for more maple story ish gimmickry (y'know, because they're also the actual controlling interest for maple story) so the question remains if the game will survive long enough to see the brighter future planned for it

*puts hand up*

I have gone through 3 accounts in my day (mostly cause of password problems). If I'm the average person, there aren't really that many users... but still an impressive number.

*Raises hand*

Made my account back in 2005. Last touched it in 2007.

I liked it for some time but it got boring as fuck.

As basic and stupid an MMO this game is...it ate up my 6th-8th grade years, and I can't deny that it was fun as hell at the time.

For getting me into MMO's and eating up my life I salute you runescape

You magnificent bastard.

Wait, I don't understand. Is anybody implying that there are, somewhere, gamers who haven't at some point spent at least 5 minutes on Runescape? I was addicted for most of middle school, I admit it. I was mainly impressed by the fact that very few of the quests were simple "Go kill X bears" or "Collect Y squirrel teeth".

The game's still solid. It's obviously not a hardcore game or anything, but I feel obliged to defend how well it all works. The biggest issue is just that there's really wasn't a great end game for groups of people that could compare to WoW raids.

Still, not at all surprised it's still doing very well. It's perfect for elementary/middle/high school students, and who else has the time to sink into MMORPGs anymore?

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

Same, though I will admit that I type rather quickly now solely because of Runescape, so there's that.

Doubling money. Trimming armour. Selling BS. B Sale. Dancing for Money. Spending 100mil. Come with me into the wilderness, you'll be perfectly safe.

darkmushroomm:
Doubling money. Trimming armour. Selling BS. B Sale. Dancing for Money. Spending 100mil. Come with me into the wilderness, you'll be perfectly safe.

Drop all your items and press alt and F4, it will double them i promise. You can trust me.

Runescape is for people who are bored of staring at the ceiling but don't have the balls to make up an imaginary friend. Well Runescape users could be doing something worse with their time i suppose... like procreating **shudders**

"Been spending most our lives, living in a scammer's paradise..."

wait people still play this game?
well you learn something new everyday

*Raises hand*
i use to play it a long time ago
with my first account i played it for a little while but then i lost my password
i tried play it again with a new account but could not back get into it
that was the last time i played runescape.

Fappy:

Psychemaster:

Fappy:

*Raises hand*

Still do, actually.

If the last time you touched the game was 7 years ago i guarantee that if you went back today nothing would be as you remember it.

Except for the combat, but theyre even changing that soon.

Scrumpmonkey:

Runescape is for people who are bored of staring at the ceiling but don't have the balls to make up an imaginary friend. Well Runescape users could be doing something worse with their time i suppose... like procreating **shudders**

Youll be depressed to hear that a fairly large proportion of the games playerbase are married couples.

And yes, ive seen few instances of whole familes playing.

Just went onto my account, but I can't see shit because I'm not a member.
But it is very interesting to see 150,000 people playing the game right now!

If I remember correctly I think I lost about 3 years of my life in that game.

Reincarnatedwolfgod:
wait people still play this game?
well you learn something new everyday

According to the main website, 150,000 people playing right now. Of course I reckon that at least 50k of those are bots, but it's still impressive for an 11 year old game.

200 million? And how many of those accounts still actively play I wonder? The thing about RuneScape though is that, if you want a new character, you have to make a new account. I know I had a few different characters (accounts) and I'm sure a lot of players did too. I bet if you were to do it based on how many players there are and not accounts, you could knock a considerable chunk off that number.

I have fond memories of this game when I was back in High School. I've certainly played worse games.

Yeah, used to play it as well, ages ago. Times were spent burying giant bones. Oh, the times, how they went by...

*Raises hand* and I still play it today, though I have slowed down quite a bit because I've discovered better ways to waste my time. :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here