Microsoft Apologizes for Big Boobs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

This shit is getting beyond ridiculous now, I hope by Patching this out they break some important feature in the kernel and everyone has to suffer xD

OuroborosChoked:
...and "big boobs" is an issue. And apparently sexist.

Well, fuck all the other issues, didn't you hear that feminist representation of women in video games (and apparently source code) is the most important thing in the world right now?

The spokesmen described it best and accurately. It's not exactly offensive immediatly till you reach the logical conclusion that the spokesmen pointed out. Feminist Whore is obviously much more offensive and directly so.

that is the breast joke ever

Some people are so touchy. How could this be deemed offensive.

Not like most kids go through the process of putting 80085 into calculators. People need to lighten up!

They could have been referring to big man boobs for all we know.

Well least a boob joke is a tiny step up from a penis joke?

getoffmycloud:
They could have been referring to big man boobs for all we know.

they're called breasts and everybody has them

This sums it up pretty much. Nothing to see here.

please, dont let any feminists be involved in this....

Regardless of any evidence to the contrary I am of the express opinion that this string refers to the big boobs of a guy named Bob.

I think all you people who are calling for the removal of this string because it's somehow unfriendly to women should be deeply ashamed of yourselves!

Bob has been bullied enough in life! All through elementary school, high-school and even university he's been bullied! And now, when he's finally rid of all of that and the only thing he still gets is the occasional reference his colleagues make about his boobs in their code you guys just have to go and call him a woman!

Shame on you!

Hagi:
Regardless of any evidence to the contrary I am of the express opinion that this string refers to the big boobs of a guy named Bob.

I think all you people who are calling for the removal of this string because it's somehow unfriendly to women should be deeply ashamed of yourselves!

Bob has been bullied enough in life! All through elementary school, high-school and even university he's been bullied! And now, when he's finally rid of all of that and the only thing he still gets is the occasional reference his colleagues make about his boobs in their code you guys just have to go and call him a woman!

Shame on you!

And after getting his balls removed too! Poor bob, he got me to cry once. It helped me sleep. WHAT DID YOU DO TO BOB.

(but on a serious note, dafuq? Why is this even a problem, i'm pretty sure even girls can laugh at boobs)

I clicked this news article expecting big boobs and I didn't get any. I AM OUTRAGED.

Big boobs = Offensive?

The women I know are more obsessed with giant boobs than the men I know. "OH MY GOD, I LOVE MOTORBOATING MY BEST-FRIEND'S CLEAVAGE!"

so we now must not only have all room numbers/levels/plane seats without "13",
but also remove any and all hardware addresses or machine code commands that spell together "0xB16B00B5"

"I am sorry, our hardware is not able to calculate that specific kind of formula, while having the necessary resources in theory."
"why?"
"it's deemed offensive by some and got removed therefore."
"WHA...."

Jesus, people are really offended by this? It's not really comparable to the feminist whore example given, which people would have some sort of right to be annoyed at.

I have little to no idea about coding, but is this type of thing a coincidence? I'd imagine coding is coding and that one can't just willy-nilly go inserting words in leet speak into coding and have the final program come out correctly.

Grey Carter:

"At the most basic level it's just straightforward childish humor, and the use of vaguely-English strings in magic hex constants is hardly uncommon," he wrote on his blog. "But it's also specifically male childish humor. Puerile sniggering at breasts contributes to the continuing impression that software development is a boys club where girls aren't welcome."

This sparked instant debate between various bloggers, journalists and other e-vultures. Some immediately broke out the scare quotes and labeled the "joke" sexist and offensive.

Oh my god. This shit is fucking hilarious. The stupidity of people is astou--No wait, they're right.
Inserting a string that can be read as big boobs clearly means that all women are clearly inferior to men and have no place in the software development industry. It can't just be some harmless childish humor that does not deserve to be news or worth anyone's time, because a lot of women everywhere have suffered because of this.

B16B00B5. They exist and are quite nice.
There, I'm a misogynist now. Punish me for my clearly offensive and sexist ways, escapist!

Oh, for SHITS SAKE...

I miss those days when nerd humor would not come into such scrutiny. Heck, we used to crack terrible jokes using our calculators. Still, not as awesome as the hidden jokes on the articles at Cracked.

BabyRaptor:
Speaking as someone with a large rack, doesn't the world have bigger issues?

Maybe they don't have issues that big, and so they're jealous of people who do have big issues.

Hehe, big boobs...

Seriously, this is hardly something to get worked up about. It just says "big boobs". Nothing else. Nobody programmed it on purpose, nobody has any hidden agendas with this, it's just a string of code that can be viewed as funny or childish.

I don't get it...

What's so funny about big boobs?

Binnsyboy:

BabyRaptor:
Speaking as someone with a large rack, doesn't the world have bigger issues?

Maybe they don't have issues that big, and so they're jealous of people who do have big issues.

And then they'll get all catty and say that those people just had their issues surgically enhanced.

Captcha: No Holds Barred.

I guess Hulk Hogan likes big boobs too, brother.

I'm guessing the news has nothing better to do than write about things that are barely offensive

If Microsoft is issuing an apology, the guys who work for Texas Instruments must be committing seppuku.

What's wrong with big boobs?

Other than the threat of lower back pain down the road, why do people give a shit about this line of code??

Boys club? Are we pretending woman don't form clubs?

Man and woman are not created equal. No human is created equal. Equal rights? Sure. But I still don't understand why this is being brought to my attention.

*shrugs

No artistic integrity or self-expression in Microsoft, it's in the Employment Contract.

RJ 17:
I have little to no idea about coding, but is this type of thing a coincidence? I'd imagine coding is coding and that one can't just willy-nilly go inserting words in leet speak into coding and have the final program come out correctly.

It's a common practice to initialize memory, registers, etc with easily identifiable numbers like 0xDEADBEEF or 0xC0FFEE or stuff like that so they stand out when you see them while analysing the system. If you see 0xDEADBEEF (or in this case 0xB16B00B5) in a memory address or register or whatnot that's supposed to hold data then you know it hasn't been properly filled with actual data and still contains the dummy value it got on reset/startup/whatever. With values like 00000000 it could be hard to tell if the memory is uninitialized or if it just got 00000000 written to it. 0xDEADBEEF is extremely unlikely to be the result of an actual calculation.

DVS BSTrD:

Tanis:
Slow news day?

OR is it just that people need to get a damn backbone and stop screaming 'I'M A VICTIM BECAUSE I NOT A WHITE MALE IN AMERICA!'?

It's just a bit of pent-up frustration that they need to get off their chest.

Or maybe they just want to keep up abreast of things.

I'm finding it rather funny how this thread had some "white male privilege" things going for it; I mean...seriously, it's a string of code nobody but the nerds is ever going to seriously look at >.<

Hazy992:
You know 0xB16B00B5 actually spells out 'ox big boobs' whatever that means.They're so big they're as big as an ox maybe? O_o

The 0x is used to flag that the number is in hexadecimal. Essentially, it's used the same way "inches" and "feet" and "meters" and "blocks" and "minutes" and "miles" and "kilometers" are: To let someone know what unit is being used. Ask someone how far it is to the store and they say 15, you're no better off.

For instance, say someone tells me they need something from memory location 2163.

Is that decimal? Then it means decimal 2163.
Is it hexadecimal? Then it means decimal 8547.
Is that octal? Then it means decimal 1139.

Gets even more fun if the number is 10110.:)

Coders on some older systems like the C64 used a $ instead.

RJ 17:

It's a "magic number". Completely arbitrary, most coders make them memorable so have an easier time tracking down bugs. You can't use 0 or 1 because a lot of math ends up at 0 or 1; you have to use something that's win-the-lottery likely of happening naturally. Some examples from Wikipedia:

8BADF00D Used by Apple as the exception code in iOS crash reports when an application has taken too long to launch or terminate.
A5A5A5A5 Used in embedded development because the alternating bit pattern (10100101) creates an easily recognized pattern on oscilloscopes and logic analyzers.
ABADBABE Used by Apple as the "Boot Zero Block" magic number
BADBADBADBAD Burroughs large systems "uninitialized" memory (48-bit words)
BADC0FFEE0DDF00D Used on IBM RS/6000 64-bit systems to indicate uninitialized CPU registers

Most of them are chosen so as to be recognizable at a glance: Which is why A5A5A5A5 works anywhere where you're using a binary display, while the rest are semi-legible English.

Anyone with the time to get worked up over childish humor instead of shaking their heads at it needs to reevaluate their sensibilities and find something worthwhile to get offended at. Like say... warlords that steal aid supplies and funds meant for to relieve starvation int third world nations. Or real examples of chauvinism like the mentioned "feminist whore" reference in Dead Island. At least the feminist whore reference was something worth calling out the developer on.

This whole situation lately when so many people gets offended by something, which is only juvenile humour, is getting really silly. I think this clip should be appropriate

There are some words that are funny both in and out of context. (in a 13 year old kinda way)In middle school, anyone would've laughed their ass off when they heard someone say balls, boobs, titties, or whatever. Is the humor juvenile? Duh. Is it misogynistic? No. Get the fuck over yourself.
Slightly off topic, but has anyone seen the Deadpool trailer? You know, where he says "We like videos with boobies!" and exclaims, "more bouncy!" while staring at a woman's ample chest? No. So shut the hell up and go pander your self righteousness somewhere else.

I'm horribly offended by this... Guh.. I mean, replacing numbers with letters, where do they get off?

But seriously isn't it more demeaning for a bunch of old white guys to say "women must be offended by this small joke and thus we will patch it before they start crying and having periods"? Would it not prove shit is more equal if they just said "sorry but, y'know, it seemed funny at the time and it won't kill anyone"? I'm sure if they said something along those lines it would be a much smaller deal... I once met someone who's girlfriend was big into Bayonetta and a girl who loved the new Mortal Kombat which are both games where women were depicted as all having big breasts and being not very nice but these women just didn't give a fuck which has led me to the conclusion that these officials or people who make forums about objectifying women in games I'm sure most women don't care as much as you think they do about how you think Lara Crofts DD's are offensive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUEynCMPnM (<-- Loosely related thing kinda about eqaulity KennyvSpenny clip)

(Don't know how to embed soz)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or