Mojang, Square Enix, EA and Others Sued For Patent Infringement

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Mojang, Square Enix, EA and Others Sued For Patent Infringement

A small Texas-based company alleges that "Mindcraft" infringes on one of its many patents.

A company named Uniloc, which describes itself as "in the business of finding big ideas," has filed a suit against Minecraft developer, Mojang, claiming the Android edition of Mindcraft [sic] infringes on one of its patents. Similar suits have been leveled against EA, Square Enix and Gameloft.

The patent in question was filed in 2005, and is for "a system and method ... for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data stored on an electronic device." The vague patent, along with Uniloc's long history of patent litigation and its base in Texas (where state laws favor patent owners) have led many to label the company a "patent troll."

Mojang founder, Markus "Notch" Persson, is certainly unimpressed. He announced the lawsuit via an irreverent tweet and went on to state that Mojang would be facing down Uniloc on principle.

"Unfortunately for them, they're suing us over a software patent," he tweeted. "If needed, I will throw piles of money at making sure they don't get a cent."

Uniloc belongs to one, Ric "The Man in the Van" Richardson, an Australian inventor who, and I quote, "does much of his thinking in his van, which he dubs the 'DickMobile,' near his leafy property in Byron Bay." If his name sounds familiar, it's because Mr. Richardson was involved in a landmark legal battle against Microsoft which eventually lead to a major change in how courts calculate reasonable damages in patent cases.

Source: Notch.net via Tech and Trend

Photo: Steve Holland

"In the business of finding big ideas"...and then suing the hell out of them, apparently.

That Notch tweet is priceless, by the way.

What a jerkwad. I'm getting real tired of these constant patent disputes.

I am starting to think that this kind of thing should be illegal and they should be persecuted. Obviously you should be able to defend a patent, but when people are obviously just buying patents to try to sue. That should not be allowed.

They've patented internet security programs?

What the fuck?
That shit should be illegal. You shouldn't be allowed to make a living of off suing on stupid claims, especially ones that are so vague.

his the reason why versus XIII was canceled right???

Judging by this website, Australia's two main exports seem to be jokes about dicks and Dicks that are jokes.

And patenting a concept is ridiculous.

Patent law is utter bullshit.

It basically assumes that some shithead that no one cares about invented something by writing an idea down on paper, and then a giant company, who has MILLIONS of dollars in R&D just somehow found his idea and stole it.

This guy was personally awarded $15 million of the total $388 million from the microsoft suit.

With 7 billion people on the planet, chances are 2 people might be working on the same thing at roughly the same time.

The guy doesn't even create working prototypes of any of his "inventions".

I should create a patent for "button that when pressed, does everything for you" and wait for some actual company to do the work, then swoop in and take a claim.

Fuck this guy.

This patent battle is getting ridiculous. I think patents are lame anyways.

ITT ignorance about patent law. You can't patent vague concepts. This article is leaving out material information.

Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: he WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.

People who abuse the system are the reason we can't ha nice things.

"...including, but not limited to, Mindcraft."
Wow... and they can't even spell Minecraft right.

90sgamer:
ITT ignorance about patent law. You can't patent vague concepts. This article is leaving out material information.

Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: we WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.

I don't think you realize just how much money he made.

There's also the concern that Mojang is NOT a US based company. And US patent law is currently taking a drubbing for it's attempts to enforce it's will on a global level. See also, New Zealand. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sweden laugh this right out of court.

This shows how much of a comedic joke the U.S law systems are.

Its quite obvious that this guy is trying to just money from these company just settling out of court.

Brad Shepard:
Its quite obvious that this guy is trying to just money from these company just settling out of court.

That's how the system works, more or less. Even Microsoft did it, because financially, it wasn't worth it to fight him.

Mojang isn't a US company though. So i'm curious how that'll affect things.

If anyone can beat a patent troll incredibly hard into the dust, it's Notch.

90sgamer:

Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: we WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.

Correction: You *SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED* to patent vague concepts.

You most certainly CAN obtain a patent for vague concepts - otherwise, IP patents would not exist. Amazon holds the "One-Click" patent, which is just "Not requiring that the user enter all of their data again when buying something." In order for that to not be a concept, it would need to patent very specific code in a specific language.

elilupe:

Because he's demonstrated a knack for swinging around the legal system before? If that were the case I think his tiff with Bethesda would've gone differently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

I don't know how relevant it is, but this is the first thing that came to mind, lol.

Kick his ass, Notch.

Shjade:

elilupe:

Because he's demonstrated a knack for swinging around the legal system before? If that were the case I think his tiff with Bethesda would've gone differently.

With Bethesda, it wasn't actually certain he would win, and he didn't seem to care much either way.

Golden tweet Notch. Give'em hell! While i have no idea of Notches legal prowess or standing on the case(probably good) i know he may very well stay in this fight until one side dies of old age.

I should return to Minecraft more often, each time i do some news article comes up that makes me laugh.

Notch has got to be sick of court rooms by now.

Would this be 'The Man in the Unmarked White Van' and would the Dick in Dickmobile have anything to do with him sitting and staring at playgrounds? Because God almighty, that man is creepy looking.

OBJEC-

Wait a second... This seems very deja v...

... Something about some guy... and patenting a word... Then attacking game companies...

OH

Edge

That was the word. He tried to sue MirrorsEdge for copy-right-infringing.

And he lost big.

Yeah, I hope history repeats itself.

Shjade:

elilupe:

Yeah, but the Bethesda case was muddy. I could see some poor blind grandma picking up Skyrim instead of Scrolls, like her grandson wanted. Poor kid...

This is purely some bastard trying to steal money from people who earned it. Even EA is preferable to this cancerous blob. I would literally buy a round-trip plane ticket to Texas just to dance on his grave when he dies. Which will hopefully be soon, and of starvation.

I'd call this guy a patent troll too, but apparently it's against the rules to call someone a troll.

So I'll just call him an asshole instead.

Wait, he's suing on a Concept but not actual technology that "he" created? How the hell is THAT possible!?

Given what he's suing that mean ALL electronic company's should get sued if this idiot wins, tell me folks what is a password OR data encryption? wouldn't THAT fall under that so-called "patent" without getting off his ass to actually MAKE something to get infringed on?

Shjade:

elilupe:

To be fair, Notch was (accidentally) totally in the wrong for that one.

I don't see him being in the wrong on this one.

evilneko:
I'd call this guy a patent troll too, but apparently it's against the rules to call someone a troll.

It's against the rules to call someone with a valid viewpoint other than your own a "troll" on the forums. Because people seem to have forgotten what a "troll" actually is.

Seeing how this guy's entire method is to evoke reaction, and has been called a "patent troll" in the OP, you're safe on this one.

evilneko:

Actually the term patent troll comes from different origins than internet troll. A net troll trys to draw attention or evoke a response. A patent troll does no such thing. Patent trolls are specific in that they hold on to patents and sue companies over patents to make money. Many times such companies called patent trolls do nothing more but sue people over patents.

What this company is doing is classic. They are using a software patent, which to even engineers those patents make little sense, and they are doing it in texas, where patent cases are easy to win in.

So yeah, go ahead can call this guy a patent troll, because this is exactly what they are. Trolls.

Is it wrong to notice that a guy called Dick has a Mr. Bumgardener for an attorney?

Oh, this is going to be fun... At least twice, I see getting that guy stomped into the ground. Once by Notch and once by EA.

90sgamer:
Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: he WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.

This isn't two multibillion dollar tech companies going to the mat to protect their market share. Patent trolls have different incentives, they want to make a profit directly off the lawsuit. Notch only has to put up enough resistance, relative to the worth of Minecraft for Android, to prove this isn't worth their time.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here