German Consumer Group Threatens Legal Action Against Blizzard

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

But but but....

How will the industry survive if it is not allowed to do anything it wants to make more unjustified money and call it a day?

Using direct copies from "google translate" in a news article just looks bad.

It's German, not Arabic or Chinese. How hard can it be to find a translator in the West? Even I could've translated that with a bit of dictionary help. Sloppy stuff escapist.

They must've left it off in the German version. Every English version of the D3 case clearly says in the bottom left "Internet connection required to play."

It's on the back of the goddamn box, how much more obvious do they want it to be?

I guess this sort of thing is to be expected when we live in the age of the Lawsuit, where there's vast amounts of money to be made in blaming your own stupidity and incompetence on everyone but yourself.

since I am German I will explain this for you (really some comments here are so dumb, answering to something they really don't understand)

what really upsets people here is not that an internet connection is required. It's the fact that you needed to authenticate every time you wanted to play and could not (error 37 anyone?) the main reason for this is, that blizzard did not supply the needed infrastructure for their DRM.

they say: if something like this is required, blizzard needs to make sure it works 100% from minute 1 (and not 50% a week later).

another thing that really bothers me here is the attitude of some people here.
you are consumers are you not ? it should bother you too that you cannot buy a single player game out of the box and use it right away. it took a week or more until you got the value of a game that could have been played offline for your hard earned dollars.

as for our laws. they also state that if you buy a piece of software you own it (not only usage rights) this implies you may sell it 2nd hand, currently several systems be it battle.net origin or steam take that right from us. thats another thing that is currently debated apart from the fact that the battle.net did not work right in the beginning.

Kram Darnok:

what really upsets people here is not that an internet connection is required. It's the fact that you needed to authenticate every time you wanted to play and could not (error 37 anyone?) the main reason for this is, that blizzard did not supply the needed infrastructure for their DRM.

they say: if something like this is required, blizzard needs to make sure it works 100% from minute 1 (and not 50% a week later).

The same thing has happened with WoW and basically every other MMO ever, didn't see anyone getting up in arms when they didn't work for the first few days.

wow is an mmo. diablo is a totally different story there would not be any fuss about this if it had an offline mode.

look it may be okay for you if you let anything the companies come up with do to you, but there are still people with common sense in this world.

Reaper195:
They must've left it off in the German version. Every English version of the D3 case clearly says in the bottom left "Internet connection required to play."

The problem is, my Deus Ex Human Revolution has the same warning label in the back, because it requires Steam activation, and thus to be online at least once. But once activated, you can play it offline. How is one to know that Diablo 3 is not the same case, based on the same information on the sticker? What people is asking for is that the box says "always online". It is ambiguous otherwise, and people would be well justified to expect a single player game to require the internet just to install and activate, not to play.

What? Angry Germans? Ive seen enough historical documentary's to know where this is going....

But srsly, read the back of the box guys, this isnt rocket science.

Also, Diablo 3 blows.

Kram Darnok:
wow is an mmo. diablo is a totally different story there would not be any fuss about this if it had an offline mode

So those extra three letters of 'MMO' are a 'fuck up on release as much as you damn want free' card?

no they aren't either and many mmo launches in the recent past went way smoother and people got free days afterwards.

Used to be that consumers rights were worth something, but I guess a lot of people don't care too much as long as they get their bright and colourful flashes on the screen.

Sushewakka:

Reaper195:

The problem is, my Deus Ex Human Revolution has the same warning label in the back, because it requires Steam activation, and thus to be online at least once. But once activated, you can play it offline. How is one to know that Diablo 3 is not the same case, based on the same information on the sticker? What people is asking for is that the box says "always online". It is ambiguous otherwise, and people would be well justified to expect a single player game to require the internet just to install and activate, not to play.

I was somewhat wrong. I just checked the box to make sure, and it says "Constant Internet connection required to play". SO yes, it does say so here. Besides, as far as I know, most games for PC these days require you to be online all the time.

Failing that, why not find a crack? Yeah, arguably it's illegal, but if yoou want to play the single player, then there isn't anything wrong if you cannot connect online. If you want to play online with other people though, as most D3 players seem to do, it seems kind of...well...dumb, that people are surprised thou need to be online. I don't think you can play with others without the net.

Mouse_Crouse:
The packaging does say that internet connection is required. They want some silly huge back sticker on the front.

Sure they do because its a big deal. Imagine you're buying a car and on the back of the sales brochure in small letters it says "engine not included".
This literally limits gameplay, it breaks the product, it must be in huge letters fr all to see.

Reaper195:

Sushewakka:

Reaper195:

I was somewhat wrong. I just checked the box to make sure, and it says "Constant Internet connection required to play". SO yes, it does say so here. Besides, as far as I know, most games for PC these days require you to be online all the time.

Failing that, why not find a crack? Yeah, arguably it's illegal, but if yoou want to play the single player, then there isn't anything wrong if you cannot connect online. If you want to play online with other people though, as most D3 players seem to do, it seems kind of...well...dumb, that people are surprised thou need to be online. I don't think you can play with others without the net.

Wrong. PC games usually have either their own DRM (Ubisoft, for instance, which is a one-time online requirement), Steam (which in theory would be one-time if the Offline mode worked for once) or no DRM at all.

As for "just get a crack", correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Blizzard stripped D3 as much as they could to force the connection through much server-side stuff.

I didn't buy D3, and I don't have a box around, so I can't verify the accusations against Blizzard... But quite matter-of-factly it's fully well possible that someone simply misinterpreted the "Constant Internet Connection required" notice, as it may resemble the usual "Internet Connection required" thing. (If you can sue over a not-even-remotely-obvious-resemblance of an IP (Bethesda vs Mojang), then you should very well be able to sue over such a resemblance ...)

Khayl:
What? Angry Germans? Ive seen enough historical documentary's to know where this is going....

But srsly, read the back of the box guys, this isnt rocket science.

Also, Diablo 3 blows.

Might wanna watch out with that one ... Germany's taking the left turn this time, with the government screwing around in Europe.

maxben:
Sure they do because its a big deal. Imagine you're buying a car and on the back of the sales brochure in small letters it says "engine not included".
This literally limits gameplay, it breaks the product, it must be in huge letters fr all to see.

Do you want huge letters telling you that a CPU is needed to run the game as well? Or an instruction manual explaining why a Graphics Card is needed for the game to run?

Nobody seems to have had any problem with every other requirement from every other game being on the back of the box or assuming that said requirements will be necessary all the time, but the moment said requirement is one you get a free high horse for bashing people can't seem to 'find' problems with it fast enough.

Aeshi:

maxben:

Do you want huge letters telling you that a CPU is needed to run the game as well? Or an instruction manual explaining why a Graphics Card is needed for the game to run?

Nobody seems to have had any problem with every other requirement from every other game being on the back of the box or assuming that said requirements will be necessary all the time, but the moment said requirement is one you get a free high horse for bashing people can't seem to 'find' problems with it fast enough.

Sure they do, because it doesnt make any goddamn sense and you know it. Again, like selling a car without an engine. Or even better, if a game required you to buy a chinchilla for it to work you BETTER have it on the front in big letters. Ridiculous demands must be made obvious.

what?? some people here actually like the vague online/DRM/client clues on the game box art?? will it hurt you so much if there were certain universal regulations put in place to make things easier for the consumer.

Not everyone wants to read 'internet connection required' and then try to figure out if it means; only for multiplayer, or a one time registration, or signing in, or alll the time.

I'm looking at my Mass effect 3 case (UK edition). There is not a symbol of 'origin' anywhere (the client that needs to run to launch the game). Under system requirements it just mentions 'internet connection required to play'.

In the small print next to the bar code it says

'Internet connection, EA/origin account, acceptance of product and origin end user licence agreement, installation of the origin client software....'

It never specifically tells me I need origin running all the time. I can make that interpretation after reading every single text in the small print. I knew i needed origin, but the average joe or mum would not know. Not everyone is going to research the crap out of a game and have an in depth knowledge of all the DRM/online practices across the industry before purchase. Stating DRM related requirements more specifically somewhere other then in the small print is a must.

maxben:
Sure they do, because it doesnt make any goddamn sense and you know it. Again, like selling a car without an engine. Or even better, if a game required you to buy a chinchilla for it to work you BETTER have it on the front in big letters. Ridiculous demands must be made obvious.

Except for that analogy to work there would be dozens of other cars that have required Chinchillas to run in the past and nobody ever minded it when they put 'Requires a Chinchilla to run' in small text on the back next to the 'Requires at least 1 Arm and 2 Legs to operate' and 'Requires Petrol to run' requirements.

BabyRaptor:
Sorry, I can't get behind this. Between all the rage and a basic reading capability, there is NO WAY someone could not know that Diablo 3 requires constant internet.

Unless of course you know they dont visit gaming forums and such. It is not clearly indicated that the game requires a constant internet connection.

People who dont know much about computers or specs will not read the system requirements because they dont know what the fuck they are. This I believe is the only spot where it briefly mentions an internet connection but does not specify always online or not.

FEichinger:
Might wanna watch out with that one ... Germany's taking the left turn this time, with the government screwing around in Europe.

Duno he might be on to something here. The last time Germany started a war the world was going through a pretty bad recession.

Suki_:

People who dont know much about computers or specs will not read the system requirements because they dont know what the fuck they are. This I believe is the only spot where it briefly mentions an internet connection but does not specify always online or not.

You can apply that logic to any requirement of the game, I hardly doubt your hypothetical not-computer Person is going to know the difference between 1GB and 2GB of RAM, or between two of the many types of Graphics Card either.

Poor Germans ...

They used to be known as smart, intelligent and well educated people. Experts in technology most of all. The kind of people that teach other nations how to do technical standards, just look up DIN on Wiki.

That was years ago. Now ...
They need bigger and much more colorful labels cause they have become too dumb to read properly.

And we used to make fun of how stupid Americans need obvious labels on anything, huh? There goes that high horse riding off into the sunset.

Andrewtheeviscerator:

Ed130:

BabyRaptor:
Sorry, I can't get behind this. Between all the rage and a basic reading capability, there is NO WAY someone could not know that Diablo 3 requires constant internet.

This sounds more for 'mother buying for older son' than the average gamer who's knows about D3.

And lets be honest, someone without ANY knowlege of videogames isn't going to read the back of the box. (or al least the tiny part that has all the important info like system requirements.)

Then how is that Blizzards fault though, the consumer can't just plead ignorance and then go blame the company for it. I'll admit that Blizzard hasn't done everything right but this isn't one of them. They did all they could to inform people that their game required an internet connection so its the fault of the consumer if they can't realize it.

But they didn't. I have my copy of the game right here. And I bought it in Germany. And let me tell you, if I wasn't big on browsing gaming websites? There is no way to know that a constant internet connection is required to play.

PingoBlack:
Poor Germans ...

They used to be known as smart, intelligent and well educated people. Experts in technology most of all. The kind of people that teach other nations how to do technical standards, just look up DIN on Wiki.

They need bigger and much more colorful labels cause they have become too dumb to read properly.

And we used to make fun of how stupid Americans need obvious labels on anything, huh? There goes that high horse riding off into the sunset.

If we're going to start making comments like these, let me know. I have a few very nasty things I could throw at Slovenia.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
If we're going to start making comments like these, let me know. I have a few very nasty things I could throw at Slovenia.

Turn on your wide lens.

My comment was flying up the ass of us, Euros, and our freaking high horse when we regard America and the legal environment that led to labeling obvious stuff that should be common sense.

Get it now? It was criticism of us, Europeans. And don't get me started on my own country, I'm even more critical of it than you could ever imagine ... Hope you agree that's where you should start, your own back yard?

Aeshi:

Suki_:

You can apply that logic to any requirement of the game, I hardly doubt your hypothetical not-computer Person is going to know the difference between 1GB and 2GB of RAM, or between two of the many types of Graphics Card either.

You cant apply that logic though since the specs are actually specified on the box, an always online internet connection is not.

Besides that most people will know wether or not a game will run on their computer or not before they buy it.

PingoBlack:
Poor Germans ...

Yea dam those stupid Germans for not being able to read stuff that is not on the game box.

Suki_:
Yea dam those stupid Germans for not being able to read stuff that is not on the game box.

Are you sure it's not? All Blizzard games have a label saying Broadband Internet required, last I checked. But I got D3 digital, so I can't verify.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Andrewtheeviscerator:

Ed130:

This sounds more for 'mother buying for older son' than the average gamer who's knows about D3.

And lets be honest, someone without ANY knowlege of videogames isn't going to read the back of the box. (or al least the tiny part that has all the important info like system requirements.)

Then how is that Blizzards fault though, the consumer can't just plead ignorance and then go blame the company for it. I'll admit that Blizzard hasn't done everything right but this isn't one of them. They did all they could to inform people that their game required an internet connection so its the fault of the consumer if they can't realize it.

But they didn't. I have my copy of the game right here. And I bought it in Germany. And let me tell you, if I wasn't big on browsing gaming websites? There is no way to know that a constant internet connection is required to play.

I have known about the always-online requirement for a long time and even I find the wording on the boxes to be ambiguous.

PingoBlack:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Turn on your wide lens.

My comment was flying up the ass of us, Euros, and our freaking high horse when we regard America and the legal environment that led to labeling obvious stuff that should be common sense.

Get it now? It was criticism of us, Europeans. And don't get me started on my own country, I'm even more critical of it than you could ever imagine ... Hope you agree that's where you should start, your own back yard?

I get it, and it's still a stupid thing to say. There is no "our" high horse. Just because some people who live in Europe say stupid things in regards to Americans doesn't mean we all do. Don't group me in with anyone in that way just because we originate from the same geographical location.

"Internet connection required" is the industry lingo for "this game requires a constant internet connection." (Diablo 3 and every other MMO list this on their boxes)

"Online activation required" or "One-time Activation Required" are the industry lingos for "this game requires a one time activation online, and then can be played offline."

Both terms are very easy to understand in my opinion.

If you want to change the industry standards/lingo, then go after the industry standards/lingo, don't try to make Blizzard into a scapegoat just because you weren't satisfied by their game. I don't personally enjoy Diablo 3, but just because I don't like it doesn't mean that it's okay to drum up baseless lawsuits against Blizzard.

P.S.
The more I read of people claiming it's misleading in this thread, the more I find myself scoffing. "Internet connection required" guys.
Not "internet connection sometimes needed."
Not "internet connection preferable"
Not "You need internet once and never again"

"Internet connection required."

Do I need to bust out a dictionary and lecture people on what "required" means?
Lets try some synonyms:

Required = necessary
Required = obligatory

I swear, some of the people in this thread would buy from a store that advertises, "We sell lit torches," and then complain that they didn't realize the torch was going to be on fire when they bought it.

Suki_:

You cant apply that logic though since the specs are actually specified on the box, an always online internet connection is not.

Besides that most people will know wether or not a game will run on their computer or not before they buy it.

So our hypothetical 'Not-computer' person knows all the specs of his machine aside from its internet connection?

LackofCertainty:
"Internet connection required" is the industry lingo for "this game requires a constant internet connection." (Diablo 3 and every other MMO list this on their boxes)

"Online activation required" or "One-time Activation Required" are the industry lingos for "this game requires a one time activation online, and then can be played offline."

I can second this, my Diablo III, World of Warcraft and Champions Online boxes all say "Internet Connection required" and not "Constant Internet Connection required" in their requirements section and the latter two never got any flak for their wording (or lack thereof)

RJ 17:
Maybe I'm just a bad person...but after their decision to split SC II into 3 games for no other reason but to charge people 3 times to get the full game, I can't help but be sadistically, perversely gleeful at watching fail after fail for Blizzard in regards to Diablo 3.

I mean really, I don't hate EA half as much as I despise Blizzard...now that I think about it, they're really the only game company that I've sworn never to buy from again. Just fucking hate those fucks.

I feel you, friend. I dislike Blizzard a great deal. They have done a lot of good with their games and overall I'd even say they've done more good than bad... But they fucked me in the ass with Diablo 3. I wanted it. I was excited. I had the money. What happens? I find out about this always online shit, no single player and real money auctions. Totally turned me off the game. I'm moving (in about... two weeks, yay) to a beautiful rural property with a ton of land and a gorgeous house. My access to the internet is going to be somewhat worse off than it is now as a result, meaning the game I would be playing single player would lose its connection to the server from time to time and I'd lag. Fuck. That.

On top of all that, the same DRM that fucks consumers over, the one that's supposed to stop hackers and cheats ruining their precious real money auction house (they're not rich enough, I guess) FAILED. The game is full of cheaters and people having their account straight up stolen.

I also bought Starcraft 2 when it came out and had a blast with it. I have an anxiety disorder, so playing online was terrifying to start with, but I warmed up to it over time and eventually got really into it; I learned build orders, micro play, the ins and outs of the maps--all of it. Come to find out, instead of updating the game or something, they are just going to release two other games for you to buy. No. Just no. Fuck you, Blizzard and fuck your fragmenting the community.

/vent

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I get it, and it's still a stupid thing to say. There is no "our" high horse. Just because some people who live in Europe say stupid things in regards to Americans doesn't mean we all do. Don't group me in with anyone in that way just because we originate from the same geographical location.

I didn't group you, geography did.

You felt insulted somehow and I'm sorry for that. But still, you better stop seeing things as if you are not part of the world. We all get stereotyped and like it or not ... You are an Euro.

Sure, you are better person than me. But perhaps at least I admit how smug us on this side of Atlantic can act until we do exactly the same. So don't take it personal, but let's be honest here, you only reacted because you felt my post was anti-German.

Turns out, we are all too much alike, doesn't it? The irony in that is priceless. :)

kortin:
Hey look, people who are completely idiotic! Oh, and they're demanding a refund for a game they bought that clearly says that an internet connection is always required. How adorably idiotic.

Where, exactly, do you see them demanding a refund?

I don't understand why people think that everyone should be as knowledgeable as them. Or why someone who buys the third installment of a single-player game should expect to always be connected to be able to play it. Especially when the other games could all be played offline.

Using the term "Internet Connection Required" is on the back of many games. It is often there for multiplayer. Why would someone who often buys games, believe that it would been you need to be online while playing alone.

The box always should have indicated that a constant internet connection was required. Any thing less is unethical. That they didn't do this, flirts with the conspiracy that they only wanted to drive sales in areas where internet is restricted.

The fact that people are defending Blizzard, and accusing the consumer is ridiculous. People are either not reading the article, or have some inflated sense of there own superiority.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here