Update: Still No New Left 4 Dead 2 DLC for Xbox Players

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Still No New Left 4 Dead 2 DLC for Xbox Players

Valve agrees with fans annoyed with the delays.

The Cold Stream DLC pack for Left 4 Dead 2 hit PC and Mac this Tuesday, however the Xbox 360 version was nowhere to be found. Valve has confirmed via Twitter that Xbox users should be seeing the update in the near future, saying "we are working with MS on a release schedule. We don't have an ETA yet but we hope to have it out soon." The expansion, released as part of a free patch on PC and Mac, will cost 560 Microsoft Points when it emerges on the Xbox Marketplace.

The delay has bemused many fans, causing them to send a host of messages to the Left 4 Dead Twitter account to try and find out exactly why the expansion hasn't been released yet. The team, it seems, is just as upset at the delays as its fans, stating, "We understand the frustration, we are right there with you. Just wanted to wait until we had more info before posting." One disgruntled player tweeted, "Valve never had any intention to release it today. Never seen a company that hates its fans so much." The developers swiftly shot back at this accusation, saying, "I'm gonna bite. Why would we not want to release it today? Timing it with the Games on demand release would have been perfect." The team also dismissed claims that the code hadn't been sent to Microsoft yet as "incorrect and illogical."

By the look of things, the delay is simply a case of last-minute issues with the console version, so any fixes should most likely not take long. While the team has not given an exact answer yet as to when Microsoft will release the patch, a post on the Left 4 Dead blog claims that it should be out next week.

Source: Eurogamer

Update: Valve has posted on Twitter to confirm that the title update and DLC will be available this Friday, August 3.

I would be willing to bet money it's Microsoft being a dick. Anyone want to get in on that action?

Wow, I remember playing that Cold Stream map like, a freakin' year ago.

Xbox users, you aren't missing much. It really isn't all that impressive.

Huh. I'm actually really happy to see this.

I honestly thought that we were never going to get any more DLC. Ever. It's a sign that valve has come a long way since TF2 360 in actually following through with supporting a game on consoles.

DISCLAIMER: No, I do not expect valve to port the entire hats system to 360. TF2 360 is broken, simple as that, its servers don't work, it's full of glitches, it plain doesn't work. I also don't expect valve to release everything they make on consoles. PC is their thing. I understand that. Now excuse me while I go lock myself in an elitist proof bunker.

Z of the Na'vi:
Wow, I remember playing that Cold Stream map like, a freakin' year ago.

Xbox users, you aren't missing much. It really isn't all that impressive.

Or any of the other four campaigns, for that matter - those are just horribly butchered versions of the originals. Not even remotely worth playing. Originals are still the better variants.

Todays L4D-Related release on Payday (a crossover map in Payday set in the Mercy Hospital) on the other hand... awesome thing.

To anyone who isn't part of the Xbox competitive L4D scene here are some fun/interesting facts.

L4D2 was shunned not long after launch for being a terribly unbalanced and restrictive game. A community member stepped up and through consultation with Valve created a version of L4D2 that didn't suck, and it was released as a mutation known as Confogle.

Leagues were formed around this gamemode, and tournaments were held.

Valve then removed Confogle in mid swing out of the blue. Leagues were shut down and the game re-abandoned.

A month ago they brought it back! But it was broken and only works if you get a dedicated server which happens maybe 1/50 times. The frustration levels were off the charts.

It was fortold that the servers would be fixed during the release of the cold stream patch. Buy the DLC and you get a game which isn't completely broken.

Except that DLC, which an entire community has been waiting for, wasn't released.

Valve never had any intention to release it today. Never seen a company that hates its fans so much.

I can't believe some idiot actually typed this, then put it up on Twitter for all the world to see.

Valve hates its fans? The same Valve who possibly have the highest customer satisfaction record in the industry?

I personally am in the process of giving up consoles; after playing on a friend's PC, and playing L4D2, I am not particularly surprised with Valve's troubles in porting the DLC to console, a console that lags like my weak sauce laptop playing L4D2.

Cry me a river, usually the other platforms are the ones left in the dust. I realise that's through Microsoft's exclusivity deals (mostly), but Xbox players can't exactly say they're hard done by in this department.

Any word on when the rest of us are getting Dawnguard?

Kmadden2004:

Valve never had any intention to release it today. Never seen a company that hates its fans so much.

I can't believe some idiot actually typed this, then put it up on Twitter for all the world to see.

Valve hates its fans? The same Valve who possibly have the highest customer satisfaction record in the industry?

Well, they defenetly hate the L4D1-Community. They've proven that countless times so far.

Bindal:

Kmadden2004:

Well, they defenetly hate the L4D1-Community. They've proven that countless times so far.

This, even though I don't play the console version, I still found it incredibly stupid that they released Left 4 Dead 2 this early at all. It's even more annoying that they made the original an all but obsolete game by bringing everything from the original into this one (except some of the win variables, which honestly should have been kept)

Any xbox users that are distraught at this news, don't worry.

Cold Stream is still the same shit, no-fun campaign it always has been. It wont ever change, so you aren't missing anything.

Delays can suck, sure, especially if you've been eagerly awaiting a release but it certainly isn't that big a deal. Some people need to find more constructive things to do with their time.

it maybe a piece of shit but it could at least be a piece of shit that turned up on time. i do feel i'm missing out by playing l4d on xbox but i can't afford a pc at mo. boo (worlds smallest viola).

Damn, hope it comes out by August 10th, me and my cousin want to play L4D2 together...

Also, holy shit, people are rather negative in this thread aren't they...

inb4 PC elitists mocking Xbox users somehow.
Disclaimer/shield: Whether the PC version is better or not is besides the point. So let's just get along, eh?

OT: Well, that sucks. I actually played L4D2 for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it. And like someone said, I'd rather have the crappy DLC available than no DLC at all. I'm sure PC guys would agree to. It's like...promising cake and never seeing it at all. Maybe the cake was crappy but you would have still liked to see the cake. Otherwise, the cake is a lie.

AW, YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

But uhh...at the same time, I'm not gonna judge. Valve's still pretty cool in my book. I'm sure they have their reasons and...money and...M$ and stuff. I don't know...

I'm fairly surprised how dumb the fans posting are. Yes valve hates you xbox users, and they're just trying to be assholes.

No that'd be when they released the DLC that MS had them charge for (8.00) then they had a sale that week for the entire game to be 7.50 on PC. That would be them being assholes, although I thought it was funny.

I stopped playing Left 4 Dead 2 on my xbox like 2 years ago. I have it on PC and I do whip it out when I am bored but aside from that, there isn't much.

Snotnarok:
I'm fairly surprised how dumb the fans posting are. Yes valve hates you xbox users, and they're just trying to be assholes.

The hyperbole is lame, but I understand the sentiment. It sucks when your platform of choice is shat upon (regardless of the responsible party).

See also, every DLC that comes out on 360 a month or more before the other releases.

I thought Valve had given-up on episodic gaming.

TF2 on consoles is still not F2P and vanilla right?

3333rd post WOOO!

ResonanceGames:

Snotnarok:

The hyperbole is lame, but I understand the sentiment. It sucks when your platform of choice is shat upon (regardless of the responsible party).

See also, every DLC that comes out on 360 a month or more before the other releases.

I was being sarcastic, not sure if that came through, I don't think a company has anything to gain by being asses.

Snotnarok:

ResonanceGames:

Snotnarok:

I was being sarcastic, not sure if that came through, I don't think a company has anything to gain by being asses.

Naw, I got it. I meant I understand the underlying sentiment of the bitchy fans, not that I think Valve are being dicks. It's silly to scream at a company without having all the facts, but it also really sucks when you love a game and, for whatever reason, you're locked out of content other people have.

It's no secret that Microsoft doesn't like Valve's way of updating games.(as in giving the players stuff like this for free most of the time) Why else would the PC TF2 constantly get new updates and stuff while the Xbox version is left to rot?

Evil Smurf:
TF2 on consoles is still not F2P and vanilla right?

Yes, you still have to buy the game and it's still in it's original form as far as I know.(I've not played it in so long because it just got boring after a while. That and a majority of the matches available last time I played were hosted by assholes trying to make sure that their team won every time)

connall:
I would be willing to bet money it's Microsoft being a dick. Anyone want to get in on that action?

With the whole "Wanna patch yer game? Cost ya 40 large!" bit? No bet.

... The are people playing L4D on the consoles?

Well, that must be interesting.

Paying for content another format gets for free, and getting it later.

Gee, sure are living it up over there.

Not to be an ass but...why would anyone even want to play L4D 2 on the console? PC has mods, custom maps, huge community and so much more. Not to mention Valve puts the damn thing on sale all the time. It's on sale right now as a matter of fact.

idarkphoenixi:
Not to be an ass but...why would anyone even want to play L4D 2 on the console? PC has mods, custom maps, huge community and so much more. Not to mention Valve puts the damn thing on sale all the time. It's on sale right now as a matter of fact.

Shitty PC? That was the mainreason one of my friends didn't really want to play L4D on his laptop - he bought it during the Steam Sale anyway (the first one)

So, Xboxers are complaining that Valve isn't releasing DLC on schedule?
Valve is almost one hundred percent PC, and they run on Valve time, seems like more of the same to me.

I don't want be that guy, but it's hard to feel bad for those complainers since the PC version is going cheaper than the DLC alone will cost right now. Yeah, yeah, I know not everyone has a good PC, but if a few extra day wait is so much of a problem to pay through the nose for something others are getting for free, it might be time to look at upgrading. If you're an avid gamer, the money you save on DLC alone will buy back the cost of the system over the course of its life.

Signa:
I don't want be that guy, but it's hard to feel bad for those complainers since the PC version is going cheaper than the DLC alone will cost right now. Yeah, yeah, I know not everyone has a good PC, but if a few extra day wait is so much of a problem to pay through the nose for something others are getting for free, it might be time to look at upgrading. If you're an avid gamer, the money you save on DLC alone will buy back the cost of the system over the course of its life.

I'd hardly call 4 'paying through the nose', y'know.

Although it's gotta be said that money isn't always the main reason for peoples' choice of platform. I'm typing this on a perfectly serviceable gaming rig (well, apart from my slightly outdated graphics card) and yet I do very little of my gaming on my PC. Of my real world friends only two others have gaming PCs, three have PS3s and the rest, 20+, have 360s. So when a new release comes out - like Borderlands 2 in a few months - of course I'm going to get it for the platform that will keep me in touch with more of my friends. Would I be able to download slightly better texture packs for it if I played on PC? Sure, but I'd have next to none of my friends to play the thing with.

I'll trade graphical quality and mod support for the ability to keep in touch with friends any day of the week.

godofallu:
To anyone who isn't part of the Xbox competitive L4D scene here are some fun/interesting facts.

Huh. So I guess people really will try to make just about anything competitive.

Grouchy Imp:

Signa:

I'd hardly call 4 'paying through the nose', y'know.

Although it's gotta be said that money isn't always the main reason for peoples' choice of platform. I'm typing this on a perfectly serviceable gaming rig (well, apart from my slightly outdated graphics card) and yet I do very little of my gaming on my PC. Of my real world friends only two others have gaming PCs, three have PS3s and the rest, 20+, have 360s. So when a new release comes out - like Borderlands 2 in a few months - of course I'm going to get it for the platform that will keep me in touch with more of my friends. Would I be able to download slightly better texture packs for it if I played on PC? Sure, but I'd have next to none of my friends to play the thing with.

I'll trade graphical quality and mod support for the ability to keep in touch with friends any day of the week.

Oh, I didn't mean specifically L4D2 DLC, but all DLC. What bit I did imply L4D2 in my comment was more based on the fact that the DLC is costing more than the complete game, which is ludicrous merely by comparison. I'd still consider $1 for DLC bad if you could get the game, plus the DLC for $.50.

And I'm not saying that console don't have their place. Gaming with your friends is important. However, that doesn't mean you get to complain about everything not being perfect to your standards if a better, cheaper options exists. You should expect that you will be making sacrifices, and the guy quoted in the OP forgot that.

Signa:
Oh, I didn't mean specifically L4D2 DLC, but all DLC. What bit I did imply L4D2 in my comment was more based on the fact that the DLC is costing more than the complete game, which is ludicrous merely by comparison. I'd still consider $1 for DLC bad if you could get the game, plus the DLC for $.50.

And I'm not saying that console don't have their place. Gaming with your friends is important. However, that doesn't mean you get to complain about everything not being perfect to your standards if a better, cheaper options exists. You should expect that you will be making sacrifices, and the guy quoted in the OP forgot that.

Fair points. I suppose the argument for/against paid DLC is one that very much depends on the DLC in question and what it brings to the game it supports. Not to beat this particular subject to death but this DLC for L4D2 unlocks all the campaigns from L4D1, essentially providing L4D2 owners with a copy of the first game for less than a fiver when the original game is still on the XBL marketplace for 19.99. So to console gamers it's a good deal by any measure, but I recognize that there are better deals out there for PC gamers.

As for the angry tweeter in the OP, whilst it's amusing to see how worked up some people can get over something so trivial, it is in some way understandable that some people would be less than impressed with Valve over this as they did miss a stated deadline. And although those of us who game on PCs are well aware of Valve's blind-spot when it comes to release dates, console only users are probably less aware - and therefore more easily angered by - this little delay in the release of the add-on.

Which I'm betting has something to do with Valve wanting to unlock a game for five pounds that Microsoft still wants to sell for twenty, as I mentioned above.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here