Sins of a Solar Empire Will Never Be Retail Again

Sins of a Solar Empire Will Never Be Retail Again

Stardock's latest digital release did so well, it's not going back to brick and mortar shops.

When Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion - the science fiction RTS sequel to acclaimed Sins of the Solar Empire - went for a digital release last month, it was pretty much an experiment conducted by the developer. It was the first time Stardock had gone for a completely digital release, via Steam, GameStop and its own site. It was expecting Steam sales to cannibalize sales from GameStop and Stardock's site but, not only did that not happen, it moved over 100,000 units in one month alone. Stardock says this success means it will never go back to retail outlet sales.

"I remember it was somewhat dramatic in the community when we announced that Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion wasn't going to be at retail," said Stardock's head man Brad Wardell. "The reason was because we have moved away from having set release dates, which are largely announced for to kick-off presales, or for shareholders and retail distributors. Now we don't plan a release date until the game has reached a quality level where we feel comfortable doing so."

It makes sound sense from a planning perspective to avoid retail, because apart from anything else retail demands a lot of lead time. Space on those shelves is at a premium, and retail outlets need at least six months' warning before they'll consider making space for a new release. By going digital Stardock avoided this process, which meant it could start selling when it wanted to and not when the retailers allowed it to.

Stardock has two more titles coming up this year: The Political Machine 2012 - I think this might be about puppies and kittens living together in harmony, or possibly the US Presidential election - and Elemental: Fallen Enchantress , a fantasy turn-based strategy game.

Source: Eurogamer

This is very very cool

Got the original years ago at Gamestop and loved it so naturally I got Rebellion when it came out. Since by this point I've changed over to steam the whole digital only thing wasn't even an issue for me although I do kinda miss having a box and manual for it like the orginal. I hope Stardock continues to do well enough to maybe someday see a Sins 2.

Not too shocking to see this decision out of them. But I hope this only means by the release. After they have things going they could still ship boxed games to stores. Stardock has been a favorite for years, it would be a shame to see them go completely digital.

Antari:
Not too shocking to see this decision out of them. But I hope this only means by the release. After they have things going they could still ship boxed games to stores. Stardock has been a favorite for years, it would be a shame to see them go completely digital.

I think your best hope for a boxed copy would be Stardock letting you buy a boxed version directly from them/over Amazon

I haven't picked up a PC game from a brink and mortar in quite a while. Steam's been the biggest catalyst for that change. I did miss the old paper manuals, but not enough to want to miss out on the convenience and value Steam offers.

Leave those dinosaurs in the dust Stardock. Don't look back.

Stardock takes the 1s and Retail gets the 0s.

Rebellion sucking aside...I like my box art desu.....

Good call. Unless you are a Freaking Humongous Publisher there is literally no reason to go to retail. Why waste time and money burning your ones and zeros to plastic when you can just send them directly to the customer?

Also I'm hoping The Political Machine 2012 is a highly allegorical remake of The Incredible Machine.

I think the idea that we get any media at all through stores anymore is just silly.

Huh, didn't realize that it was all download only. I saw it come out, but I had other things to do at the time than spend $40 on something I wouldn't play for a while, but I picked it up for $30 during the Steam sale.

I have the others and SoSE is an awesome RTS.

Isn't it obvious that digital is just far superior for indie and small developers?
No discs, no logistics, no shipping, no overhead, no boxes, etc.
Physical copies just have way too many drawbacks.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here