id Starts Work on Next-Gen Console Title

id Starts Work on Next-Gen Console Title

Doom developer id is seeking UI Programmers for a super-secret project (that may be Doom 4).

It takes a lot of people to make a videogame, as id Software is no doubt familiar. After building the engine for 2011's Rage, the team knows first-hand that the industry has grown to the point where many individuals from a variety of disciplines and backgrounds are needed to design the latest AAA titles. That's exactly why id's website has a section for job listings, and why it recently put out this call for new UI Programmers. A quick read-through reveals that not only is this a great opportunity for programmers, but also a great opportunity for armchair game enthusiasts to speculate on the what id has planned next.

The posting reveals that id is looking for "experienced UI Programmers to work on cutting-edge technology for an unannounced game on future-generation consoles," implying that id already has a title lined up for future consoles. Much more pertinent is a tiny little detail near the bottom that candidates should have a familiarity with "id Software games, characters, brands and universes".

It's entirely possible this is just a generic statement, but there's quite a bit of evidence suggesting that the upcoming game is Doom 4. id has been working on the game since at least 2008, although technical problems with Rage forced management to "indefinately postpone" the title. In the time since, unofficial screenshots have appeared online, but the team has remained silent on what's coming next.

Of course, there's always the possibility that Doom 4 was set far back enough that a different id property will arrive next instead. Could it be a new Quake? Wolfenstein? Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion? Whatever the answer, it's very likely to come up at QuakeCon 2012, which starts next week.

Source: Joystiq

I didn't know half-assing it was a technical problem.

not sure what to think of this. should i be happy or not. dint even bother to get rage. doom 3 was just an ok shooter.

For all the praise id gets, their games are fairly 'meh'.
They should stick to making engines. It's what they're best at.

GenGenners:

They aren't good at making engines anymore. idtech 5 was a colossal failure. It looked super outdated at launch and was very deeply flawed in both concept and execution. Total broken garbage.

That said, id has never been an engine-centric company. The only reason the Quake engine caught on is because A.) it was top of the line at a time when few companies were licensing engines and B.) enough people bugged Carmack about it that he started licensing it. That was never a big chunk of their business; that reputation just comes from the press and gamers overblowing it for years on end.

Anyway, I actually liked Doom 3 at the time, but Rage was mediocre (and, as I said, broken and fugly) and I'm going to be much more skeptical about their games in the future.

Might be Doom 4, if anything.

If it's Doom 4, then I want the following:

-Shitload of weapons, including oldies and some new toys
-Truly taking advantage of the whole "demons from hell on Mars" thing with plenty of awesome levels
-Better art direction than Doom 3, with actual lighting that works well
-Secrets galore
-CHEATS!!!

ResonanceGames:

GenGenners:

They aren't good at making engines anymore. idtech 5 was a colossal failure. It looked super outdated at launch and was very deeply flawed in both concept and execution. Total broken garbage.

That said, id has never been an engine-centric company. The only reason the Quake engine caught on is because A.) it was top of the line at a time when few companies were licensing engines and B.) enough people bugged Carmack about it that he started licensing it. That was never a big chunk of their business; that reputation just comes from the press and gamers overblowing it for years on end.

Anyway, I actually liked Doom 3 at the time, but Rage was mediocre (and, as I said, broken and fugly) and I'm going to be much more skeptical about their games in the future.

Tech 5 is a great engine. The biggest thing holding the engine back is the sheer size of Tech 5 engine games. If you recall, RAGE was 21GB on PC. Releasing a higher res texture pack would have added 40GB onto that easily.

The other problems were driver issues. When Carmack said he was furious with how the RAGE launch went, he had a lot of good reason to be at least a bit angry with GPU manufacturers. At the time of RAGE's release neither manufacturer had their OpenGL drivers in order. nVidia was slightly ahead in having some beta drivers out, but AMD wasn't even at that point yet.

The stupid as hell thing was that id Software's QA team already had the proper drivers on their machines, and they had already taken the necessary steps to contact GPU manufacturers about it. Now, the only mistake Carmack made was using OpenGL in the first place. When Tech 5 was started, only DirectX 10 was out, and not enough people had adopted it to warrant its use, so for id it was either DX9 or OpenGL, and DX9 was garbage.

When we look at RAGE itself, I can say that the game was a disappointment, especially when you look at how long it took to develop. The Multiplayer was particularly weak. The one thing I love in RAGE is the gunplay and the kinetic response you get from the enemies when you shoot at them. It's something that sets it apart from pretty much every shooter out there. Sadly it's not enough to make a great game.

Zer_:
Tech 5 is a great engine.

How? Is it the outdated, baked-in lighting? Its amazing ability to steam absurdly compressed textures to my screen at such a slow rate that I can actually see them pop in every time I move the mouse? Its low memory usage that only benefits the consoles (if even that) while forcing the artists and level designers to fill the world with hideous low-poly objects like?

http://cdn2.gamefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2011-10-05_00043.jpg

Zer_:
The biggest thing holding the engine back is the sheer size of Tech 5 engine games. If you recall, RAGE was 21GB on PC. Releasing a higher res texture pack would have added 40GB onto that easily.

You just named one of the biggest problems with this POS. It manages its resources terribly. It takes 20 gigs just to get HORRIBLE textues in the game. Textures which, despite id's hemming and hawing to the contrary, are stamped rather than fully original and repeat themselves as much as they do in any other game.

idtech 5 is a broken, misconceived turd. It needs to dumped and reworked into something else entirely.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here