Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Gathers Party, Ventures Forth

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Gathers Party, Ventures Forth

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (but were afraid to ask) has now been revealed.

The latest - and, one would presume, last - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition countdown has hit zero, and that means that all the juicy launch details are finally at hand. First and foremost, the important bits: The PC version of the game comes out on September 18 and will sell for $19.99, and gamers who "pre-purchase" can knock two bucks off that price. And now, the details!

The Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will contain everything that made the original game great, plus a big pile of new stuff including three new characters - Dorn Il-Khan, a half-orc Blackguard, Neera the half-elf Wild Mage and Rasaad yn Bashir, a Calishite Monk - and a brand-new adventure, The Black Pits, that adds more than six hours of gameplay set in the Underdark arena of the mad drow Baeloth. It will also offer all the improvements and additions that debuted in Baldur's Gate 2, allowing players to use classes, class kits and subraces that weren't available in the original game.

The interface has been updated and improved, as has the cross-platform multiplayer, and the game will support high resolutions and widescreen monitors. The original cinematics have also been replaced with "beautifully hand painted animated cinematics," and more than 400 "issues" from the original game have been found and fixed, resulting in a faster, smoother experience, and maybe even marginally less awful pathfinding.

And here are some screens:

The OS X and iPad versions of the game is also set for a September launch, although the specific date remains up in the air; the OS X edition will go for $19.99, while the iPad version will be only $9.99. The iPad release, however, will not include Dorn Il-Khan or Neera, who will instead be available as separate, in-app purchases. An Android version is on the way as well, also priced at $9.99 and with the same character restrictions, although no release date has been set.

A boxed release of the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for all you die-hard collector nerds is still a possibility, but not looking terribly likely at this point. Beamdog President Trent Oster said that negotiations for the release of a physical edition have "stalled," and that while he's still trying to put a deal together, it may not happen. For now, the game will be available exclusively via Beamdog.

So, to recap: 20 bucks, September 18, baldursgate.com. It's so exciting!

WTB Linux version, then again it probably wont be too difficult to get it running through WINE. Pre purcahse awaaaaaaay!

Not convinced considering I have my original games that I can get to work with a few tweaks, no problem. Including playing BG1 in a BG2 interface, unlocking classes that were not available in BG1 original.

Multiplayer? Well, that leaves me lukewarm (maybe a bit meh'd even), new cinematics aren't really that much of a tipping point. So it all depends on the new content; in which case I'll be waiting for community feedback.

In short? I'm underhewlmed, but while I am not going to pre-order, I'll most definitiely keep an eye on it and see if it turns out well. If it does, I'm getting it.

I'll pay for a box version, I'll pay four times as much if it takes it, TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Eh, I'd consider getting it, but I already bought it once from GoG.

It was terrible and I have no idea how they survived to make a sequel. It's weird because I actually really like BG2, but the first is a horrible narrative mess and very vague about what to do or why to the point of confusion.

I think I got about two hours in before every path I had left to choose ended in instant death to hilariously overpowered giant ass monsters that would one or two shot everyone in my party.

Ooooh! I'm so excited!
I'd just like to know if the mods to the original one actually work on EE.
I read somewhere that most should, but I'd still like a confirmation.

Zaik:

It was terrible and I have no idea how they survived to make a sequel. It's weird because I actually really like BG2, but the first is a horrible narrative mess and very vague about what to do or why to the point of confusion.

I think I got about two hours in before every path I had left to choose ended in instant death to hilariously overpowered giant ass monsters that would one or two shot everyone in my party.

Funny, I didnt have that problem...

Wtf is beamdog anyway? I wouldnt mind a steam release

Ryans Solution:
I'll pay for a box version, I'll pay four times as much if it takes it, TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Trent Oster is trying to but so far talks on a boxed release are stalled.

TitsMcGee1804:

Zaik:

Beamdog is another digital distribution service that was made by ex-Bioware employees. Also in their contract they can only sell it through Beamdog so it's that or nothing.

80Maxwell08:

Ryans Solution:

TitsMcGee1804:

Zaik:

Beamdog is another digital distribution service that was made by ex-Bioware employees. Also in their contract they can only sell it through Beamdog so it's that or nothing.

That sucks, i hate having to download new clients and get new usernames and passwords for just one game, i would consider giving this one a miss

I was well excited too, what a bonerkill

TitsMcGee1804:

80Maxwell08:

Ryans Solution:

TitsMcGee1804:

That sucks, i hate having to download new clients and get new usernames and passwords for just one game, i would consider giving this one a miss

I was well excited too, what a bonerkill

You don't need the client just buy it from their site.
EDIT: Sorry I didn't mention that.

Still undecided (I have my old copies) but that is enough to move me from no-purchase to considering.

As 80Max said, no client required. Buy it, download, be done.

You can just piss right off with that headline getting my hopes up this was released. Damn you.

Zaik:

Welcome to AD&D. It's a notoriously unforgiving ruleset and its application in BG was very faithful to the original. It also required, at the higher levels, serious attention to tactics. Leaving the computer to take care of the NPCs in the party was usually a recipe for disaster, and without the right equipment and spells equipped you'd find yourself in trouble very quickly.

On the other hand, there were people who played the entire game, start to finish, solo. Kinda crazy, but doable.

....will it have same-sex marriage? *ducks*

Y'know, I still have my original copies of BG1 and 2. I never finished the first one... and never even got around to installing the second. (friend gave me his copy, so nothing wasted) :/

Woohoo will get as I could never get more than a couple of hours in because of the interface though I loved the series and I never found the time to try and do the BG Tutu mods etc. My only problem is why are so many things I want coming out around this time and I have to put it on hold to study....head meet desk, repeat.

I also am not sure if it is worth it for me, I have my original discs/maps/manuals/Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, I also bought it from GOG so I don't need those disks, and I run the Tutu/Widescreen mod so I get the expanded ruleset. I'm not sure the Enhanced Edition is offering me enough to justify buying it a third time.

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of THAC0 related questions and whinging about difficulty though.

Android version means they might be getting two purchases from me. As for reasons to buy the game, regardless of what previous versions you might have(I own the original and GoG versions), the code is supposed to be cleaned up, and there will be more for modders to work with than in the original(which was never meant to be modded in the first place). The real question, in the long term, is whether BGEE or GemRB will be the future of Baldur's Gate.

20 bucks, huh? Since i already own the original, thats about twice as much as i'd be willing to pay for a patched version with some DLC attached.

Oh well.

lancar:
20 bucks, huh? Since i already own the original, thats about twice as much as i'd be willing to pay for a patched version with some DLC attached.

Oh well.

The only version with DLC is the tablet version, which is $10. The $20 PC version has all content included. And it's not just a patched version. The source code is being reorganized with modding in mind, meaning that we should see some new mods with fewer hard coded restrictions than in the original. If mods also mean nothing to you, then sure, it's just the same game patched for less bugs, better performance, higher resolution graphics, an improved UI, new content and a greater number of platforms available.

That's all.

This is so exciting, I am so excited!
I absolutely love Baldurs Gate and this is sounding like everything I could want.

Also Il-Khan? As in Gromnir Il-Khan? And the wild Mage somehow reminds me of Hannelore from Questionable Content.

Hmm... Now Im not sure how I feel.

Im excited for the game, but the new portraits IMO look too cartoony (especially the wild mage), and if those look too cartoony im suddenly very worried for the new animated cut scenes.

evilneko:
....will it have same-sex marriage?

BioWare's version had it, why not?

OT: Eh, I have the Anthology Collection (All 4 BG games, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, expansions, Planescape Torment, Temple of Elemental Evil) so I might pass on this one.

I may have to check this out.. I am tempted to get an IPAD type device soon. I am amazed at all you people that keep your games forever.. maybe I should have.. but moving so much, it's tough to move two boxes and growing of games.

Awesome great price point, cool features (old and new) this should sell extremely well.

"...the game will be available exlusively via beamdog."

Aaaaaaaand there goes a few thousand sales right there... Unfortunate. I'm not saying beamdog is bad, but it isn't popular. A Steam release would have secured thousands of sales from not just fans of the original Baldur's Gate, but also from some of the millions of people who see the steam store page every day. That page is ridiculously good advertising and a $20 game attracts attention.

Honestly if it wasn't Baldur's Gate I wouldn't bother with beamdog myself.

Zaik:

It's really not that easy to get lost, so I'm not sure what happens. The start of the game directs you very directly to the Friendly Arm Inn, and then down to Nashkel. If you don't veer too far from this then it's difficult but not ridiculously so. I wouldn't hold it against anyone who found the start too aggravating to use Gatekeeper to give their party a couple of levels to start the game off, D&D does not work well as a game system at level 1-3. If you don't like that idea then use bows and prepare for a little grief early on.

If it accepts the old mods then great, if not then that's a lot to pay for a substantially worse version of Baldurs Gate.

Rack:

Zaik:

It's really not that easy to get lost, so I'm not sure what happens. The start of the game directs you very directly to the Friendly Arm Inn, and then down to Nashkel. If you don't veer too far from this then it's difficult but not ridiculously so. I wouldn't hold it against anyone who found the start too aggravating to use Gatekeeper to give their party a couple of levels to start the game off, D&D does not work well as a game system at level 1-3. If you don't like that idea then use bows and prepare for a little grief early on.

If it accepts the old mods then great, if not then that's a lot to pay for a substantially worse version of Baldurs Gate.

That's where I was at. I had picked up whats her face that wakes up with you in BG2 and her soon to be dead husband, and we were supposed to go to Nashkel, supposedly to the south? I just kept going south until I ran into some stuff that dropped my party in about 7 seconds flat. Then I tried going in all the other side paths thinking I needed to grind or something, with equally disappointing results.

Two other guys were with us, and they wanted to go somewhere else(I think?), but every time I looked in that direction something ran over and killed everyone. So they got mad, and left. I think. I'm not really clear on why any of that happened, I'm just guessing.

Oh yes! The happyness I feel cannot be described in words!

Zaik:

Rack:

Zaik:

That's where I was at. I had picked up whats her face that wakes up with you in BG2 and her soon to be dead husband, and we were supposed to go to Nashkel, supposedly to the south? I just kept going south until I ran into some stuff that dropped my party in about 7 seconds flat. Then I tried going in all the other side paths thinking I needed to grind or something, with equally disappointing results.

Two other guys were with us, and they wanted to go somewhere else(I think?), but every time I looked in that direction something ran over and killed everyone. So they got mad, and left. I think. I'm not really clear on why any of that happened, I'm just guessing.

Yes Nashkel is to the south, I'm not sure if you can have got lost between the Friendly Arm Inn and Nashkel, there's a road that takes you pretty much straight there, if you don't veer off it you should get there fine. However first level AD&D characters are pretty easy to kill in 7 seconds so you may have just fallen foul of that games brutal difficulty curve. With bows and a little luck you can get through but you don't have nearly as many options as BG2. I'm afraid grinding isn't really an option.

I've attached the map below, if you know where you hit trouble then I can work out if you got lost or ran afoul of Baldurs Gate 1s brutal start.

Ugh, I'm SO freakin glad I bought this off GoG not all that long ago. *Headesk*
I really do want to like this game but everytime I try to play it I get through the tutorial and then get torn to pieces by wolves in the forest only to realize I haadn't actually saved the game yet. Sigh.

I might get this but it can wait.

This is fantastic news!
I am pre-ordering this and looking forward to reliving those adventures. I wish they would make more RPGs like this - they cannot cost too much to make and once you've become engrossed you ignore the graphics and the mountains of text you have to read.

Hmm. Well, Neera will probably have interesting interactions with Edwin, and Dorn sounds like he'd be a solid addition to an Evil party (especially since Shar-Teel and Kagain, the other Evil fighters, are powerful but relatively plain). But...

Okay, pet peeve: I realize Baldur's Gate originates in the pre-Xena D&D era, but it's 2012 - why are the new guys fighters while the new girl is a mage? Would it be so awful to have a female Orc warrior in your party? I mean, BioWare did get better at this: Grey Warden ladies are treated with equality and respect, and FemShep is pretty much the contemporary SF female hero. But if you're making the effort to add new characters to a classic, you could at least try to break the moldy-old-mold.

Anyway, now that I've vented, another thought: if Dorn is indeed connected to Gromnir il-Khan, I wonder if the new NPCs will be carried over to BG2/ToB...

The lower price for the smartphone versions are probably because the game's format doesn't lend itself well to grubby sausage fingers, forcing the game to be either very zoomed in, limiting the field of view, or suffer tremendous accuracy issues.

Looking forward to this, a decent RPG adventure for the iPad, an actual adventure as well - not just an excuse for one :).

Now, we just need a decent grid based Dungeon Master game for the iPad and I'll be all set.

Rack:

Zaik:

Rack:

Yes Nashkel is to the south, I'm not sure if you can have got lost between the Friendly Arm Inn and Nashkel, there's a road that takes you pretty much straight there, if you don't veer off it you should get there fine. However first level AD&D characters are pretty easy to kill in 7 seconds so you may have just fallen foul of that games brutal difficulty curve. With bows and a little luck you can get through but you don't have nearly as many options as BG2. I'm afraid grinding isn't really an option.

I've attached the map below, if you know where you hit trouble then I can work out if you got lost or ran afoul of Baldurs Gate 1s brutal start.

Alright, thanks. I guess I'll give it another shot.

Edit: Honestly I couldn't really tell you the specific area, if I had to guess I'd say the rocky area, but there might have been trees? I died in a lot of places a lot of times, I just remember not being able to go south any more.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here