Smite Dev Removes "Offensive" Goddess From Website

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Smite Dev Removes "Offensive" Goddess From Website

Universal Society of Hinduism president wants Hi-Rez Studios to show Hindus "responsibility, respect, and maturity."

Hi-Rez Studios' online arena game Smite has attracted a lot of controversy with its use of religious figures. Hindus criticized the game for "trivializing" their religion a few weeks ago, and Catholics and Buddhists soon joined the protest. In response to complaints of its depiction of the Hindu goddess Kali, Hi-Rez Studios has removed the offending image from the game's website.

Hindu statesman and President of Universal Society of Hinduism Rajan Zed called this a "step in the right direction," thanking Hi-Rez Studios for being so understanding. However, Zed still wants to see the developer "show some responsibility, respect, and maturity" and remove Kali from Smite entirely, along with fellow Hindu gods Vamana and Agni.

Aside from removing the image of Kali from the Smite website, Hi-Rez hasn't commented on the controversy, so it's not known whether the Hindu gods will be taken out of the game as well. If not, this probably won't be the last time the self-proclaimed "battleground of the gods" is part of a religious controversy.

Ugh, Don't give in damnit! You have freedom of speech!

Oh yes. Lets give them a finger, and then watch as they ask for the hand next. Religious people will never be satisfied and why the Smite devs even bothered to try and cater to these people I dont even want to know.

This kind of deserves a darwin award on its own.

Bad move on Hi-Rez's part. If they don't remove them entirely, then they will still get flak for it from uptight Hindus. If they remove the gods, then the game won't be what it claims and the hard work of the devs will be for nothing, not to mention that Hi-Rez has first amendment rights and did not have to remove anything.

Developer: Are you going to buy our game?
Protester: No
Developer: Are you even going to PLAY it?
Protester: NO!
Developer: Then fuck off.

The only people who should have influence on a game's creation should be Developers, Publishers, and people who are going to buy/play the game.

I don't get why these guys are complaining. It's not like they're going to play the game after all... It's not like they were interested in the videogame industry at any point during the last 40 years...

Keep
Calm
and
Walk
Away

To be fair - I can completely understand the Hindu dudes being a bit pissed off about one of their chief goddesses being reduced to T&A for some videogame.

But really the whole game is kind crass in its concept - why start worrying about it now?

And humanity as a whole marches backwards into the primordial ooze it once came from.

The developer caved into religious uproar, removed it from their site... and now they want more. It's either out of the entire game or it's no good at all. If we start to dance around every single possible person whose feelings might get hurt by something we are never going to make a step forward.

As a response to such a request I would have put the image RIGHT back up there on the site and released the following statement.

"Apparently removing Kali from our webpage did not satisfy them, therefore we have decided to put it back up there. If they are going to be pissed with us until it is completely wiped from our game, why should we remove anything?"

cynicalsaint1:
To be fair - I can completely understand the Hindu dudes being a bit pissed off about one of their chief goddesses being reduced to T&A for some videogame.

But really the whole game is kind crass in its concept - why start worrying about it now?

You have seen images of Kali right? She basically is nothing but T&A with four hands in every single image made.

Here's a wikipedia example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kali_lithograph.jpg

Modesty is not Kali's greatest asset.

They need to add the Christian, Jewish and Islamic god too; they can be different skins of the same fella. Should probably add a laughing Buddha, for completeness. Sikh god too.

It is a bit unclassy to have the Hindu gods alongside those of dead religions; they actually should have to remove them or, preferably, add the other religions' gods to the mix.

Hindus don't like gods that kick ass? This would certainly explain how a shipping company was able to subdue their entire continent.

Hopefully removing the image from the website is a fair compromise and they wont remove it from the game.

Remove the gods from a game about gods?

Let's also take the ball out of football, and the cars out of F1, and let's not forget to take the guns out of CoD while we're at it.

EDIT:
That Kali pic up there reminds me of the Asari.

At least hi-rez' version of kali has a bra, unlike the 'actual' version of the goddess, which is usually completely bare breasted.

Hey, how about the society show responsibility, respect, and maturity, by not being such a whiney bitch about their deity being represented in such a way. They don't have to play the game, and other sources of media have had them depicted in not a clear cut manner. I recall Southpark had an episode about it. Granted I've heard it's been "banned" but what can you do...

Here is my bottom line, if these gods were removed, would it encourage ANYONE from their religious society to play the game? Or would they simply forget the game ever existed, only having the knolwedged that they bullied a game company to do as they wished.

I'm Asatru, and having my gods depicted as badass is an honor. Go Odin! Perhaps we get away with it because the culture was raised to believe in honor in combat. Regardless, they are NEVER gonna play the game, the only reason they even go through the lengths is to bring attenton to themselves. I garentee you 90-95% of the people on escapist didn't even know of a Universal Society of Hinduism until this story was brought up.

Seriously, why give in to cries for censorship? This is a bad move. They should've stuck with their guns and kept Kali prominently on the site. Games with stylised depictions of deities have been going for ages.

Heck, even real people, Japanese warlord Oda Nobunaga has been both a hero and a (sometimes even downright demonic) villain in various pieces of fiction, you don't see his descendants (who are indeed out there) crying that they should ban all villainous portrayals of their distant ancestor.

For goodness sake.

Or maybe the Hindus could lighten up and not take their religion so seriously. Besides, nobody's forcing them to buy and/or play the game anyway. They should take a que from Jesus' brother Bob:

kurupt87:
They need to add the Christian, Jewish and Islamic god too; they can be different skins of the same fella. Should probably add a laughing Buddha, for completeness. Sikh god too.

It is a bit unclassy to have the Hindu gods alongside those of dead religions; they actually should have to remove them or, preferably, add the other religions' gods to the mix.

Jehovah/Allah is OP. wouldve been nerfed to powder after a week of uproar.

I am disappoint.

Never been a fan of Appeasement. To buckle under the demands of ppl who aren't even your customers is just terrible business sense. Also the PR from this "controversy" can only help to sell the game. If it wasn't for it, i'd never would have even notice such a game.

1337mokro:
snip

Absolutely agreed. If they got what they asked for and then demanded more, put that image back up. The studio is under no obligation here.

Uh huh.

I'm gonna go beat my head into a wall for a few hours. Understanding this level of stupidity will take effort.

I'm glad they haven't seen the Persona games yet. They think this is offensive, Persona has a bunch of teenagers actively controlling these gods.

Just goes to show you the danger of mass marketing. Could you imagine if these organizations got wind of how their religious figures are represented in the Persona series?

Wow, impressive ninja skills.

Sarah LeBoeuf:

Hindu statesman and President of Universal Society of Hinduism Rajan Zed called this a "step in the right direction," thanking Hi-Rez Studios for being so understanding. However, Zed still wants to see the developer "show some responsibility, respect, and maturity" and remove Kali from Smite entirely, along with fellow Hindu gods Vamana and Agni.

A step in the right direction? For whom? These people aren't even the type to play WoW or LoL. I find this to be counter-intuitive to the defending games as art arguement. At least with ME:3 the reason for protest was because of plotholes. I don't see any respect or maturity in this protest against having a religious figure with a known violent past against evil forces do battle in a video game simply because it "trivializes" spiritual figures.

canadamus_prime:
Or maybe the Hindus could lighten up and not take their religion so seriously. Besides, nobody's forcing them to buy and/or play the game anyway. They should take a que from Jesus' brother Bob:

I prefer his other brother, Craig.

Fuckin' pussies. We have to stop listening to the whining of people who believe in fuckin' nonsense.

Oh, hi there, I'm a Catholic Christian, one who keeps his religious views to himself most of the time, but guess what I think of this: STUPID!

Ugh, this is why we can't have nice things. Literally. It was crap like this that took the Shin Megami Tensei series 18 years to hit Europe. That's right, it wasn't until Lucifer's Call in 2005 that we finally got our hands on a Megaten game.

newdarkcloud:
I'm glad they haven't seen the Persona games yet. They think this is offensive, Persona has a bunch of teenagers actively controlling these gods.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Just goes to show you the danger of mass marketing. Could you imagine if these organizations got wind of how their religious figures are represented in the Persona series?

Wow, impressive ninja skills.

Probably should have quoted these two before I made my post...

Oh well.

Just wanted to say: they know. Trust me. Why do you think you never got the first Megaten games? Why do you think that the first games that did get a U.S. release were censored? Why do you think it wasn't until 2005 that the first Megaten game hit Europe? The series is as old as 1987 - and getting it to Western audiences wasn't something that happened overnight.

All Gods and goddesses are fictional open source creations of man. They shouldn't cave to this and they should add Christian gods too, to show fairness.

Jesus has 4 passives and his ulti resserects him and heals the team if his team manages to get a team kill :P

damn you Prez of Universal Society of Ecchi!!! i will counter-protest and refuse to buy any Nike shoes made by your distant 10 yo cuzzins in india!!! (and buy made in vietnam stuff instead)

At least hi-rez' version of kali has a bra, unlike the 'actual' version of the goddess, which is usually completely bare breasted.

I DEMAND FREEDOM TO PLAY WITH THE CLOTHED DEPICTION OF THE GODESS OF MURDER, YOU FREEDOM-HATING PAKISTANI-HUGGING UNAMERICAN BASTARDS!!!!

Don't let the anti-freedom camp win:
FIGHT THIS BATTLE AGAINST RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS!

We can NOT allow religious groups, of any sort, to win battles when it comes to freedom of speech.
This leads us down a dark road of burning books, Shari Law, and female genital mutilation.

Also, Shiva was sexier in FF8 anyways:

yet these people are ok with having sheeva in mortal kombat?

Madkipz:
Oh yes. Lets give them a finger, and then watch as they ask for the hand next. Religious people will never be satisfied and why the Smite devs even bothered to try and cater to these people I dont even want to know.

This kind of deserves a darwin award on its own.

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE? What a broad term! Are you saying that all people with any sort of spirituality have this negative trait?
I'm glad for their decision. If I say or do something that offends somebody, I attempt to say sorry. Especially religion!

Sarah LeBoeuf:
Zed still wants to see the developer "show some... ...maturity"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! What a hypocrite! Holy crap.
I really hope Hi-rez puts the character back up. Maybe in a way that'll anger the delusional nuts even more. Then they would be close enough in maturity levels for Zed to have grounds for his dumb demands.

Tanis:
Don't let the anti-freedom camp win:
FIGHT THIS BATTLE AGAINST RELIGIOUS ZEALOTS!

We can NOT allow religious groups, of any sort, to win battles when it comes to freedom of speech.
This leads us down a dark road of burning books, Shari Law, and female genital mutilation.

Also, Shiva was sexier in FF8 anyways:

Yeah! How dare people be mad when someone takes a fundamental part of their lifestyle and reduce it to cheap theatrics for a game that is due to fail!

Seriously, what you are suggesting is that religion does anything, then we will all be reduced to morons. To quote a very nice man:

Heck, do religious people not have the right to a peaceful protest? Should they not ever talk about their religions? If that is true, then aren't THEY having their rights oppressed.

Also, what about freedom of religion? Does that not exist?

what.
fucking.
BULLSHIT!

i don't even have the words for how much this is bullshit

newdarkcloud:

also, this

...you know that this isn't going to destroy the freedom of speech right? Maybe you can all calm down a little?
Removing a single image =/= the destruction of freedom of speech.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here