Modders Restore Knights of the Old Republic II Content

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Twilight_guy:
Not 'restored', restored implies that it once existed int he game and was removed. They 'finished' content that was never included.

Also, if they really had that much crap sitting unused in their files then they did a really, really bad job coding because stuff like that should have been cut and removed and never released with the final product. Cutting unused content is the quickest thing you can do to increase efficiency, one of your major goals.

at least obsidian said 'i am sorry that we could not finish the game like we wanted to
so we will inlude the file so some dedicated modders can finish what we cant due to a new and insane short deadline.

also the finished was included but 'blocked' from access in the game.
and its easier and more efficient to block the access from unfinished areas of the game than searching the right parts through the code and deleting them.

i doubt you play mostly with your pc since thats a common thing.

Well, I think it's time for yet ANOTHER playthrough. Seriously, I've already beaten it like 4 times. But still, it's nice to have some good news for a change.

Holy shit, they actually FINISHED one of these restored content mods? I don't want to complain or anything but, damn that took a while. It just goes to show how much stuff obsidian were forced to cut due to rushing. And there was also something about some of those projects falling through or something like that, I can't remember exactly.

In any case its good to see one of them finally reach fruition.

SacremPyrobolum:
That's great!

Only trouble is, this game fell of the face of the Earth.

I can't find it anywhere!

Oh, wait, I should have looked more carefully.

Awkward....

Anyway, can I download it from Amazon or do I have to purchase a hard copy.

I don't think this computer ever even had a disk in it before...

Steam has it available for download.

Steam has KOTOR but not KOTOR2 unfortunately.

That's awesome. I wonder what Obsidian themselves have to say on the matter.

aceman67:

Kaleion:

Then I probably shouldn't tell you that "The Exile" (the main character in KoTOR 2) is canonically female, her name being Meetra Surik, and Revan being male was also established in the same novel, titled "Revan". If you're a star wars fan, and a fan of Drew Karpyshyn's writing/games, read it.

Vault101:
wow they finally did it.....

not sure Id want to play KOTOR...what with everything I do feeling pointless in the end

yes..even moreso than that other game

If you play a male revan who is light side in KoTOR 1, and Female Lightside in KoTOR2, you're following Star Wars cannon.

Revan wasn't light side affiliated in KotOR; like most of his life, he was outside the trivial duality of light and dark, seeking only to better himself and the Jedi. He'd have just as soon seen the Jedi Order destroyed entirely as champion it.

Fappy:
I swear they have been working on this mod for like 8 years or something. Good to know it's finally finished. Maybe it's time for another Kotor 2 playthrough...

Not the same people who sat on this for several years. I believe Team Gizka started this project. They were taking so long that these guys decided to start their own Restoration Project. That they got playable within a damn year.

OT: I need to get this new version. I think I have 1.6 or something.

good times; too bad they couldn't restore droid planet idea that was never even finished. Oh well, HK factory!

For ages this has been the version I've been using, and KotoR 2 is my favourite all time game. Seriously, you should check it out

Clearing the Eye:
Revan wasn't light side affiliated in KotOR; like most of his life, he was outside the trivial duality of light and dark, seeking only to better himself and the Jedi. He'd have just as soon seen the Jedi Order destroyed entirely as champion it.

According to Wookiepedia, the Official Star Wars wiki, you'd be wrong. While the player can choose what ever they want in the game, the 'canon' Revan is Male, Caucasian, marries Bastila (and have a son), and all choices made after he wakes up on the Endar Spire forward (all choices being made in the game by the player) are Light Side. He returns to the light.

This is why dev tools need to be released with games as so sht gets fixed and expanded on, let the IP owners repack it and resale it for all I care, I just want things made better.

Also if you are going to bitch about IP revenue generation go bug congress for a easy derivation option as so creative types can pay the IP owner 60% of profits to work on the IP without the IP owner halting the process.

Also I want this done better in KOTOR,

aceman67:

Clearing the Eye:

According to Wookiepedia, the Official Star Wars wiki, you'd be wrong. While the player can choose what ever they want in the game, the 'canon' Revan is Male, Caucasian, marries Bastila (and have a son), and all choices made after he wakes up on the Endar Spire forward (all choices being made in the game by the player) are Light Side. He returns to the light.

"Official?" Lol. I like that you use that word. It's a wiki site run by the community. Don't portray it as anything else.

Again, I will disagree with you. Revan considered himself outside light and dark. The binary system of right and wrong was just holding the Jedi and Sith back. This is why he went looking for the maps and why he didn't care at all that he would be excommunicated from the Jedi Order. He acted as best to benefit himself and the power of his followers. Having a strict black and white code imposed useless restrictions on oneself. Hell, look at the two Sith system Revan created, centuries before it was put into use. It's entire function is to make the Sith as efficient and powerful as possible, by eliminating trivial rivalries and power struggles.

The Order of Revan also operates without concern for light and dark. They embrace all aspects of Revan's personality, doing what it takes to achieve strength and wisdom. They don't seek to cause or enjoy the cruel and pointless suffering of others that the Sith do, but they won't let morality stop them from obtaining anything to better their cause. As a consequence they're hated by the Sith and considered dark by the Jedi.

I've played this already, some how the game ends up making even less sense...

80Maxwell08:

EDIT: Hey a double pack featuring both KOTOR 1&2 and both of them work on Windows 7 64 bit. Might as well share this here.
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Republic-Bundle-Pack/dp/B00784HHUM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You. Thank you. So much. You have no idea how awful I felt when I got a copy of KotOR II and it wouldn't work with Windows 7. One of my favourite Star Wars games was locked out from me. But now, if these genuinely work for Windows 7, the 25 cost will be entirely justified to me.

So thank you for posting that link.

Of course, if they fail to work, the wrath of every hell will fall upon you. Y'know, the usual punishment for destroying hopes and dreams :P

OT: This is awesome. Been following these mods for a good few years, it's nice to see one finally finished.

Hoplon:

What doesn't make sense?

rembrandtqeinstein:

There were so many WTF story moments and then that whole ridiculous ending that made no sense whatsoever.

The story is considered to be one of the best additions to the star wars universe and the main plot is pretty damn amazing. And I agree with them, it really did push the SW universe a huge step forward in depth.

Much better than Kotor 1's, which was basically nothing more than an overrated, black-and-white, incomplete (skips backstory nearly completely) and somewhat shallow love letter to the SW universe.

EscapeGoat:

80Maxwell08:

EDIT: Hey a double pack featuring both KOTOR 1&2 and both of them work on Windows 7 64 bit. Might as well share this here.
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knights-Republic-Bundle-Pack/dp/B00784HHUM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

You. Thank you. So much. You have no idea how awful I felt when I got a copy of KotOR II and it wouldn't work with Windows 7. One of my favourite Star Wars games was locked out from me. But now, if these genuinely work for Windows 7, the 25 cost will be entirely justified to me.

So thank you for posting that link.

Of course, if they fail to work, the wrath of every hell will fall upon you. Y'know, the usual punishment for destroying hopes and dreams :P

OT: This is awesome. Been following these mods for a good few years, it's nice to see one finally finished.

Hey I'm only going by an amazon review here. Someone said they work on W7 64 bit there so I linked it here. Go hunt that guy down.

Well I just bought KOTOR II for PC(played it many years ago on Xbox). I liked the game a lot but the ending is one of the worst ever. I forgave the game when I heard that it was rushed. Time to try this mod then.

uncanny474:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a Team Gizka that was working on the exact same thing? And weren't they C&Ded into the ground by Obsidian just after completing their patch?

That's the rumors I've heard, at least.

I'd been keeping an eye on TSLRP, and Team Gizka, since late 2005 - early 2006.

As far as I know, there were not C&D letters. The project manager, Dashus, put the project on the back burner for along time, having updates be few and far between, but refused to relinquish control to someone who could give more time to the project.

There was also a falling out between him and Stoney (from TSLRCM), but I don't recall the details surrounding it.

In my opinion, what killed TSLRP, aside from the above, was that Team Gizka attempted to tackle and eliminate ALL the bugs, which can be damn near impossible to do without access to the source code. The TSLRCM team indicated they were not tackling bugs from the get-go.

The Bandit:

Hoplon:

What doesn't make sense?

You know the end sequence on Malcore V? Was even more "people doing random thing X" still no idea how the Ebon Hawk was suddenly able to fly off etc. It just added more questions.

Really?
Finally?
Squeak!

...... runs off to download

80Maxwell08:
Well I wish I had KOTOR 2 for the PC now. Only have it on Xbox. Well hey it's cheap on amazon so one day.

Thanks for that link man, just bought it, yayy me

Kudos to them on completing their mod project. I see a download in my future. The force is strong with me.

I believe a "fuck yes" is in order.
Easily the best thing to come out of Star Wars (imo, ofc).

Clearing the Eye:
*snip*

You can say what ever you want, disagree with me for however long you want, but this novel: http://www.starwars.com/shop/books/star_wars_the_old_republic_revan/

Confirms EVERYTHING I have said. And its written by the guy who WROTE the original KOTOR and the SWTOR storylines.

Star Wars novels are considered CANON. Your opinion is moot.

aceman67:

Clearing the Eye:
*snip*

You can say what ever you want, disagree with me for however long you want, but this novel: http://www.starwars.com/shop/books/star_wars_the_old_republic_revan/

Confirms EVERYTHING I have said. And its written by the guy who WROTE the original KOTOR and the SWTOR storylines.

Moot? I see. Now, you've used the word, but I don't think you know what opinion means. Unless you want to take a look at your post there and can honestly argue opinion's a matter of right and wrong, you're (ironically) wrong.

You enjoy your opinion. I'll enjoy mine. We both know who is right, right? :P

Great, now if I could only get my hands on the PC version of KoTOR II.

Tony2077:
i may try it but I'm wondering is the ending still the same

Also that.

MOAR MOD SUPPORT IS NEEDED FOR EVERYTHING.
Not too much to encourage hacks, but enough to increase the longevity of games.

I know first game I'm getting once I eventually get a new computer.

KOTORII was seriously so great, I don't understand why we don't have KOTORIII, well...I do...but I think making 3 would be better, especially in current times. The story is original, the characters well fleshed out, and even making a new story would be worth it. Make it post movies, that'd be awesome. I trust the team, I trust the creators, and I'm sure that even if it sucked, first day sales would be through the roof...

But having II fully unlocked sounds freaking awesome, if only my computer wasn't crap...

Clearing the Eye:

aceman67:

Clearing the Eye:
*snip*

Moot? I see. Now, you've used the word, but I don't think you know what opinion means. Unless you want to take a look at your post there and can honestly argue opinion's a matter of right and wrong, you're (ironically) wrong.

Just so you know, you are wrong and aceman is right. The Star Wars universe is very very precise about what is considered canon in its universe. To the point that it has several official, as in legally established by GL and LucasArts, levels of canon to account for any continuity issues.

Regardless of what you think it should be, the canonical Revan from KotOR timeline onward is explicity lightside.

Tumedus:

Clearing the Eye:

aceman67:

Just so you know, you are wrong and aceman is right. The Star Wars universe is very very precise about what is considered canon in its universe. To the point that it has several official, as in legally established by GL and LucasArts, levels of canon to account for any continuity issues.

Regardless of what you think it should be, the canonical Revan from KotOR timeline onward is explicity lightside.

I disagree with you there, buddy. He was always outside such triviality. The Jedi brainwashed him (more or less) for a short period of time, but he was never beholden to any side of the force. Thus why Revanites are neither light nor dark.

Already played through the game with this modded version, and I have to say it's probably the reason Kotor 2 is now my personal favorite game of all time. Glad to see that these people's hard work are finally receiving recognition.

Clearing the Eye:
*snip*

Except thats where you're wrong... again. The Revanites may not be light or dark (Actually, thats wrong, many of them are blatantly light and dark, like the Assasian who sends you for Revan's mask and wants to keep it for herself to attain power in the Revanite order), but that doesn't negate the fact that Revan himself is lightside. In the novel he is accepted back into the Jedi Order (something that would not have happened had he been darkside, or even fence-sitting/neutral), but was pretty much shunned and censored for his take on how he views the lightside of the force because of his unique experiences of having been at the two Extremes, paragons of Light and Dark. He believes that the Jedi Way of suppressing all emotion, good or bad, and not allowing attachments to be wasteful because it was his intense love for Bastila that brought her back from the darkside after Malak seduced her to follow him, and its their love for eachother that keeps them both grounded in the light.

He views emotions like love and compassion, and the strength that comes from attachments like friendships and lovers, all tempered with wisdom and experience would make the Jedi Order stronger, and more able to face the followers of the Darkside.

Lastly, you are allowed to have your opinion, that is your right, but that doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.

And that's not an opinion, as Tumedus said, there are very strict rules that Lucas and Lucasarts/film set forth that determine what is Canon and what is not.

That rules being: If it is published under the Star Wars/Lucasfilm Entertainment brand, IT IS CANON. Period.

In the Case of video games where players can choose to be Light or Dark, its like this: If the character is a Jedi/Fights the darkside, they are light, if they are Sith/fights the lightside, they are darkside. For non-force users, they align themselves with their respective factions(light for republic, dark for empire), but are not extreme light/dark.

Hmm... for the record, the only reason Obsidian rushed for a Christmas release was because LucasArts insisted that they do so. Also, the only reason a mod like this was needed was because, again, LucasArts refused to let Obsidian patch the dummied-out content back into the game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here