Rumor: American TV Network to Produce Battle Royale Series

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: American TV Network to Produce Battle Royale Series

The CW Television Network is looking to turn Battle Royale into an hour-long dramatic series.

There's been talk of an American remake of Kinji Fukasaku's film adaptation of Koushun Takami's Battle Royale novel for years. Unfortunately, the recent film release of The Hunger Games, which has quite pithily been labeled "Battle Royale with cheese" by internet witmeisters, has killed any chances of a big-budget Western release. Instead, according to the LA Times, The CW Television Network is looking to acquire the rights to the original novel in order to turn it into an hour-long dramatic series. The talks are said to be in the preliminary stages - and the information comes courtesy of an anonymous source - so have your grains of salt handy.

Battle Royale is a dystopian vision of Japan's near future where, every year, a class of middle school kids are shipped off to an island and forced to murder each other. The original novel has been adapted into two films and two manga series to date. A number of different directors, including connoisseur of all things weird and violent, Quentin Tarantino, have expressed an interest in remaking the film for American audiences.

Apparently, producers Roy Lee and Neal H. Moritz were trying to pitch a western version of the movie when the film adaptation of Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games hit the market.

"Look, there isn't a studio out there that would invest the money to do a Battle Royale feature film remake now," Lee told the Wall Street Journal. "Audiences would see it as just a copy of Games - most of them wouldn't know that Battle Royale came first. It's unfair, but that's reality."

Source: LA Times

INB4 Hunger Games VS Battle Royale fight-out.

This will probably fail miserably...because of who's making it. Namely, because they're not Japan.

FalloutJack:

This will probably fail miserably...because of who's making it. Namely, because they're not Japan.

On top of that CW is one the lesser production companies :/

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/

Lets just hope they keep the necrophilia out of this version shall we? Also making it interesting and not utterly boring would be a good thing too, try to do that with this adaption! It ain't hard, just oh i dunno...focus on the premise of highschoolers having to murder each-other rather then their every single waking thought. And again, please keep the necrophilia to a minimum.

And yes, my dislike for the Battle Royale Manga is showing quite strongly today.

i think this belongs here..

Stomperchomper:

FalloutJack:

On top of that CW is one the lesser production companies :/

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/

I don't know after making one tree hill, I think the producers and scriptwriters would be very keen to make a show where annoying teens are killed off each week.

A western remake of BR would be a terrible idea anyway. Even reading the book from a western perspective means that you can't appreciate the subtext on more than an intellectual level. The book is about the way that the Japanese school system is failing students via the competitive examination system that is in place and does not in any way act as useful preparation for students to live in society after school.

An American remake of a foreign, Asian even, franchise?

Color me skeptical at best.

So...yeah, it would suck.

Unless it was put on a network like HBO/Showtime (who have the balls to actually show BLOOD AND GORE), not some some lame ass channel know for 'smallville'.

I'd suggest this has been put forward because some executive has seen the success of the 'Hunger Games' and 'Walking Dead' and yelled to his underlings 'Quick! find me some old stuff we can remake for an easy quick buck!'

It COULD be good, but unlike the Walking Dead, it'll be tricky to have any reasonable bodycount, while keeping a series going, it's not like they can just ship another few classes of kids in when they're down to the last ten or so.

Battle Royale used to the premier child killing tournament movie.
But then it took a Katniss in the knee.

Done properly I think this would be really awesome and entertaining.

aba1:

The prevaling notion is that it won't, though. The US has indeed tried to use things from Japan and work it into itself, but many cases show that it doesn't work. Hollywood tried movies and that wasn't...no. Best attempts would be in anime, I think. Battle Royale is live-action, so I've a feeling this won't go over well.

FalloutJack:

aba1:

The prevaling notion is that it won't, though. The US has indeed tried to use things from Japan and work it into itself, but many cases show that it doesn't work. Hollywood tried movies and that wasn't...no. Best attempts would be in anime, I think. Battle Royale is live-action, so I've a feeling this won't go over well.

This is true but attempts that did fail was because they didn't use logic. Things like Dragon Ball for instance do not translate into live action, well that was a obvious call before things even started. Battle Royal was a fairly grounded series however and given the right direction writing it could work much in the same way things like Walking dead or Heroes (first season) worked.

If they are fairly light on the source material it should be hard to Americanize it. They just need to alter the Japanese life style references to ours hire some great writers and have a decent budget and a higher rating. Not saying it would be easy but it is definitely more do-able than many other things.

Well the fact that this is going to be on the CW, a largely teen-aged-girl-focused cable network, will probably mean it will be a toothless adaptation removing all the stark brutality, cut out all the subtext, make the protagonist a 2-dimensional female to be projected upon, and make romance a main focus, probably a love-triangle between two boys of opposing demeanor.

Pretty much Hunger Games with cheaper royalties.

Really the only people I'd trust to make a good Battle Royale show (and it is easily doable) would be stars or HBO or showtime or something, where they don't have to censor themselves for the kiddies.

Even putting aside the whole CW problem, there's still issues with making a "tv series" out of this.

First, will it be set in Japan? if so almost NO ONE in America will understand why it works the way it does, since the original work is as steeped in Japanese Social commentary as you can be without being propaganda for one side or the other.

Next, the actual "Battle Royale" itself that happens each year, as per the book, manga (if memory serves) and the first movie (the second wasn't about the game it was something about terrorism and all) was a 3 day long game. At the end of the 3 days everyone's collar starts to count down until only one is left. The problem with this is, a TV series is meant to be put on tv as a lifelong running story when it's not being pitched by a writer, but the Battle Royale is only 3 days long. How do we do this? make it a mini series that's 3, 1 hour episodes long each one spanning that day? make it a mini series where every season is 3 episodes and it continues on by spanning multiple games? or just ruin things by trying to make a multiple season series about a game that's meant to only last 3 days but change ALL the rules of the original work to make it fit the eternal runtime tv shows strive for?

i'm going to assume their not going to go through with it on the basis that a certain demographic of amercians (the 1 million mum group, fox news, etc) will protest and argue will the whole "the children, think of the children" act even when something like Battle Royale isn't even aimmed at kids in the first place.

i'd love to be wrong. i'd like for this to get made on the basis of how little enough america can come up with when this is their source material.

FalloutJack:

aba1:

The fact that a movie is an American/western remake of a Japanese film doesn't necessarily mean it's slated to fail. That's usually the fault of bad directors and screen writers who fail to understand their subject matter and pick up on the subtext, or at the very least take the story into an interesting direction or reinterpretation. Look at A Fistful of Dollars, The Magnificent Seven, The Departed, and (depending on who you talk to) The Ring. Hell, we have Fistful of Dollars to thank for launching Clint Eastwood's career. If the adaptation were to fail, it would probably be because either the creators didn't understand the material they were given or because CW would be hesitant to broadcast high school students butchering each other by the bus loads.

Actually, if we were to just look at the socio-political themes from the Japanese movie, it would probably fit in very well with Alan Moore's dystopian interpretation of the UK depicted in V for Vendetta. Perhaps a compromise?

Gottesstrafe:

FalloutJack:

aba1:

The fact that a movie is an American/western remake of a Japanese film doesn't necessarily mean it's slated to fail. That's usually the fault of bad directors and screen writers who fail to understand their subject matter and pick up on the subtext, or at the very least take the story into an interesting direction or reinterpretation. Look at A Fistful of Dollars, The Magnificent Seven, The Departed, and (depending on who you talk to) The Ring. Hell, we have Fistful of Dollars to thank for launching Clint Eastwood's career. If the adaptation were to fail, it would probably be because either the creators didn't understand the material they were given or because CW would be hesitant to broadcast high school students butchering each other by the bus loads.

Actually, if we were to just look at the socio-political themes from the Japanese movie, it would probably fit in very well with Alan Moore's dystopian interpretation of the UK depicted in V for Vendetta. Perhaps a compromise?

I'm not saying that all attempts everywbere will be doomed to fail, or else I wouldn't like certain things that I do, but I DO have a bad feeling about THIS one.

>American Television adaptation of Battle Royale

*gasp of joy*

>The CW

...God damn it.

Even still, the story is best suited for a one off movie. No sequel, no continuous story, just the brutal, gruesome and dark tale wherein there's no real 'satisfaction' upon the victory, like there is in Hunger Games.

To people who've read Battle Royale / the Manga:

That would take all the devil out of it. A sanitised Battle Royale would be completely missing the point. Besides, there has already been a family-friendly BR. It was called 'Hunger Games', and it was as bland as they came.
However, a UK production, that swaps Japanese ultra-violence for British cynicism, that could be a possibility. Especially if they got Stephen Fry to play Beat Takashi's role.

America can't do it well. And it would be a boring predictable plot with bits stolen from Prison Break, Buffy etc etc. Who is with whom, relationship building, bitter betrayal, twist ZOMG didn't see that one coming! No thanks. Epic fail.

Kyogissun:
>American Television adaptation of Battle Royale

*gasp of joy*

>The CW

...God damn it.

Even still, the story is best suited for a one off movie. No sequel, no continuous story, just the brutal, gruesome and dark tale wherein there's no real 'satisfaction' upon the victory, like there is in Hunger Games.

Truth be told I actually felt the movie needed a longer runnin time. There were so many people and the movie was all "fuck those guys, lets watch these 2 assholes and that other asshole as that fourth asshole blows everyone away." I just kept thinkin that it'd be better suited for like...a miniseries or somethin, but maybe I horribly missed point.

Anyway. +1 for meh on it bein on the CW.

ehh i hope they don't. because of the name i'll be compelled to watch it, and then i'll realise how bloody awful it is.

I still fail to see how either Battle Royale or Hunger Games got to be as popular as they are.

Maybe it's just me.

Get AMC on that shit. They'd probably make it good, maybe even great.

Uber Evil:
Get AMC on that shit. They'd probably make it good, maybe even great.

This.

I'm all for a Battle Royale series cause really the story is quite masses, but it should NOT be on Network TV.

Something like Battle Royale shouldn't be in the hands of CW. Apart from the fact they'll have to censor themselves (It's high school kids killing each other with exploding collars around their necks to make sure they do), they don't seem like the right people to do it based on the shows they've already produced.

Get someone like HBO or AMC on it. They won't censor it and they'll probably do an adaptation justice.

My first impression is that this will fail or be pulled on the first episode, probably for the idea of bombs, weapons, suicide, mentally messed up kids, and schools touching a nerve. I have seen the subtitled release of the movie, and read a lil of the manga and I could probably get away with saying that Japan is a lil less uptight about subject matter than the US, just as a blindshot we could remember Carved (shit scarier than freddy kruger for sure).

I can see some CW executive pitching ideas for the story right now.

"Ok we need a teenage girl. One that's pretty but not too pretty, one that other girls can relate to. Now she wakes up in her homeroom with the exploding collar on . . . yeah you're right it can't explode, it will just poison them. No, not like cobra poison,the kind of poison that makes them just fall down. Yeah that's perfect Johnny, it's an overdose of tranquilizers!"

"Anyway she wakes up and looks around. First she looks around the class and then out the window. Across the way she sees another classroom full of passed-out students. No they aren't from her school. So she sees someone awake in the other room. He's tall, dressed in black and has long black hair. Well the werewolf Indian guy from Twilight had long hair. Have an intern go through the recent teen magazines and count the different hair styles. No don't count Beiber. Forget his hair for now, just know that he's dark and broody. He looks over and sees her; He looks in her eyes for only a second before looking away. And in that second she knows that they could either love each other or kill each other. No she can't internal monolog that, we don't want to get SUED by the Twilight people."

"Now someone else wakes up in her class and starts talking to her. It's the Quarterback of the Football team. Soccer? Ok then we'll make him whatever is important on a Soccer team. He's talented, popular and smart. He has never said anything to her. Secret crush? Him for her or her for him? Both? What a bold idea, I like the way you think Johnny!"

"Well first he will get her attention and then he'll will say,'You know what this is, right? This is . . .' AND THEN WE WILL FLASH TO THE TITLE CARD! BATTLE ROYALE! The words will be dripping with blood. No I'm sure we can use blood there. But that will probably be it for the blood."

I'm gonna stop doing this now because I'm actually getting annoyed by what I'm writing and at the same time I'm terrified that I'm able to write it.

I hope the CW doesn't get the rights to this. Fingers crossed.

And at the end of every episode there will be a life lesson that gets hammered home as the plucky blonde protagonist convinces another student that killing each other is bad wrong badong and that they should join her close group of friends as they embark upon a journey to keep everyone alive.

She will also be amazing at kungshit-fu, as she does many a somersault and engages in quipy repertoire with that weeks bad guy.

.... fuck that.

Here's a better idea. Watch the original.

Although imagine if they kept the principle but just used the cast of Glee...

CaffeinatedBandit:
To people who've read Battle Royale / the Manga:

OT: I've been wanting this for years. I loved the movie, but it didn't give us any time to get to know the characters. This is something the manga did very well, many of the deaths came as a shock and could actually make you feel sad. If this is done properly it could make for some very emotional moments.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here