Wil Wheaton Announces "Don't Be a Dick Day"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:
Can we have a "don't ruin Star Trek" day on MY birthday?

It should be a "Persecute Ira Steven Baer for ruining Star Trek" day. His twisting of the franchise since Gene's death should never be forgotten or forgiven. Thankfully Paramount feels the same way.

Ragsnstitches:
That was said in 2011, during a conference where this issue was on discussion and I think it was a bit silly for the author of the article to mention it.

That said, it's hilarious how quickly that somewhat relevant, but contextually different comment became the focus of some of the posters here. The point completely flying over their head because... what? They feel like they are being accussed of something from a year ago?

I think I might bookmark this page for future retorts.

I seem to have missed that on my first read through. :/
Anyways, I suppose it is somewhat relevant as you say, but yeah, considering how the whole feminists/sexism debate thingy is a sore issue for the interwebs right now, bringing it up probably wasn't the best idea.

Being honest, the statement grated on me too at first, probably because I was mistakenly under the impression that Wheaton included it in this announcement.

Captcha: Fezes are cool

snip

That they are Captcha... always the pinnacle of fashionable statements this guy!

I've always preferred bowler hats. Charlie Chaplin knows where it's at.

Hooray, Ima meet not one single dick today!
*goes outside*
oh wait, that's right, I'm the only non-chav in the village; I'm the only one not being a dick.

Crono1973:

"I actually have a thing to say to guys who play video games," he said. "When a woman joins the game, like... don't be a dick."

Being a Trek fan and thinking Wheaton was a pretty cool guy I had nothing but respect for him but this quote just means he's caught up in this PC bullshit too.

Listen folks, women want to be treated equally so they should be. If you're a dick to other guys, then you SHOULD be a dick to women too. Anything else is preferential treatment.

Watch how many women come along to defend preferential treatment.

You fail to understand. You shouldn't be a dick to anyone. If your idea of treating everyone equally is to be an ass to everyone then I don't know what to say other than you missed the point entirely.

Ragsnstitches:

GTwander:
I actually agree with crono. There is a ton of 'white knight syndrome' out there, and under the right circumstances, a woman could get bent over that as well. Shit, I've seen plenty of it across my years of forum trolling (as well as dating, but it's been a tumultuous season)

Okay, there is one thing I have never quite understood about that opinion though... how do you tell the difference between someone "white knighting" and someone who is just telling you (you as in anbybody) to quit being a dick?

The white knight accusation seems to be, more frequently, used in response to someone accusing another person of sexism. It's rarely used in the context of Brownie points with women, but more as a reversal card to turn an argument against an accusation of sexism. It also appears to require no basis, or evidence, for it to work in an argument, as apparently, White Knight is a damnable accusation (more so then sexism...).

From my long and extensive experience on the internet, it would appear that the "White Knight" was created as a go to retort to shut down accusations of sexism, without any effort on the accused's part to either acknowledge a problem or defend their opinion, but to simply switch the subject of the debate.

I have never been called a White Knight, as I rarely weigh in on topics with such polarised opinions, but I see it thrown around these parts so often lately it's meaning is lost to me. It has as much weight to me as shouting troll or screaming HAX! down your microphone. In other words it means nothing.

Essentially, if someone ever uses the term White Knight, I tend to scrutinise what they say even more... and low and behold, more often then not they fail to defend their corner and keep falling back on this Reversal card.

EDIT: Also, it's quite hilarious how the people started the sexist discussion on this thread are the people who generally try to shut it down. Despite the fact the quote that sparked it all:

I actually have a thing to say to guys who play video games," he said. "When a woman joins the game, like ... don't be a dick.

Was said in 2011 in a conference specifically dealing this issue.

So yeah, who's being a kneejerk reactionary in this situation?

*Slow and steady golf clap*

Sir, you just won an interweb.

Its amusing that most of the work he's known for post star trek, is in fact, being a dick.

In almost every role he's played. Including playing himself, being a dick.

Please listen to this BBC documentary if you think that abuse against women online is just 'trash talk'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00s9jly

It's a really bad part of gaming culture.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Revnak:
Women are definitely treated worse on the Internet pal, and if you can't figure that out you really need to click that fat, slut, or ugly link (or whatever the order is). I've been on the Internet for a while and I have gotten nowhere near the level of shit that site shows women getting.

I dunno man, I know plenty of websites where women are treated as... Well, I want to say just another guy but that wouldn't fit, but you know what I mean.

Funnily enough, I can think of some websites that are hostile toward men. It's easy to get lost in a bog of sexism when all you browse is The Escapist and other gaming websites, but they're not the only websites out there you know.

That is true, but realize that when it comes to feminism, this site is just horrible in every way imaginable. Like Wil, I was specifically addressing online gaming.

Alright Wil, since you asked politely I'll give it a shot. No promises, though.

canadamus_prime:
That's a very nice sentiment Wil, but I can already tell from some of the other posters on this thread that it's going to be a massive failure. Some (read: "many") people are just natural born dicks. __

Even more are dicks for fun.

Now how in the hell is me not masturbating going to make Wil Wheaton's birthday any better?? Honestly of all the stupi-

....OHHHHHH don't BE a dick day. Cause I thought he said bea-..ok yeah my mistake.

Evil Smurf:

DVS BSTrD:
Can we have a "don't ruin Star Trek" day on MY birthday?

I have a don't rape my childhood George Lucas day on my birthday

My birthday is "Darth Vader is Canadian" day.

Moonlight Butterfly:
Please listen to this BBC documentary if you think that abuse against women online is just 'trash talk'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00s9jly

It's a really bad part of gaming culture.

Unfortunately, I bet this falls on deaf ears. People who don't think it's abuse have likely already disqualified it because of the word.

Whoa, this guy does not look 40. Also, why do I get the feeling that there will be a tremendous amount of people acting like dicks today?

Fluoxetine:
Now how in the hell is me not masturbating going to make Wil Wheaton's birthday any better?? Honestly of all the stupi-

....OHHHHHH don't BE a dick day. Cause I thought he said bea-..ok yeah my mistake.

XD sir. I'd offer to shake your hand, but....

canadamus_prime:

shrekfan246:

canadamus_prime:
That's a very nice sentiment Wil, but I can already tell from some of the other posters on this thread that it's going to be a massive failure. Some (read: "many") people are just natural born dicks. __

I particularly like the implication that because he mentioned "if a woman enters a game" and "don't be a dick" in the same quote, he's now sexist.

I try to not be a dick all the time.

It usually works pretty well. :D

I'm sure he meant don't be a dick towards her just because she's a woman. As in, be inclusive not exclusive.

I figured as much too, but apparently some people have taken it as him saying "It's okay to be a dick towards another guy, but don't be a dick towards a girl, dudes!"

I can try.

I don't think it will work though. I have a highly developed "Bullshit sensor" and if that thing goes off, it's no holds barred.

Revnak:
The shit that women have to endure to socialize on the Internet is more than I would ever be able to deal with (...) If it were the other way around I would do the same thing. Stop assuming it's all just a feminist conspiracy and explain to me just how you can think that women do not have to endure more shit than men on the Internet?

Socialize on the internet? I think I have found their problem.

Jokes aside, if it were the other way around... who would care? I'm already used to the internet, not growing a skin thick enough only makes people stand out as easy targets. I would not ask you to do anything to solve the problem because there is no problem: it's the internet - it's your choice to leave a website and join another one with decent moderation.

It's not real life. You're not forced to see those people at work or school, you can always leave everything behind.

No, I do not think that women have to endure more shit than men, and if they actually do and I am wrong, then how about not disclosing their personal info?

I don't even have the gender icon on my profile and if I don't have to say my real name or any personal data unless I want to disclose it, why would I just have a "HEY, I AM A MAN/WOMAN" sticker on my internet aliases?

TL;DR - dicks gonna dick, choose sites with decent moderation and the only purpose of the YouTube comment section is to piss people off. No problem.

ElPatron:

Revnak:
The shit that women have to endure to socialize on the Internet is more than I would ever be able to deal with (...) If it were the other way around I would do the same thing. Stop assuming it's all just a feminist conspiracy and explain to me just how you can think that women do not have to endure more shit than men on the Internet?

Socialize on the internet? I think I have found their problem.

Jokes aside, if it were the other way around... who would care? I'm already used to the internet, not growing a skin thick enough only makes people stand out as easy targets. I would not ask you to do anything to solve the problem because there is no problem: it's the internet - it's your choice to leave a website and join another one with decent moderation.

It's not real life. You're not forced to see those people at work or school, you can always leave everything behind.

No, I do not think that women have to endure more shit than men, and if they actually do and I am wrong, then how about not disclosing their personal info?

I don't even have the gender icon on my profile and if I don't have to say my real name or any personal data unless I want to disclose it, why would I just have a "HEY, I AM A MAN/WOMAN" sticker on my internet aliases?

TL;DR - dicks gonna dick, choose sites with decent moderation and the only purpose of the YouTube comment section is to piss people off. No problem.

And if you're a woman who like Street Fighter are you just supposed to switch to a game that is more accepting of your sex (this is the type of situation I was referring to)? Should all women just go play Pony adventure nine where they won't have to deal with sexist morons? Or should women simply give up on the idea of using voice chat in their favorite games? Evasiveness is not a solution in any way. And people should not have to leave communities of any sort because others are abusive, the abusive people should have to leave. I will add that I think it has to be rather extreme for some kind of treatment to qualify as abuse before I get strawmanned to hell and back.

I never watched Star Trek, but I think that this is one of my favorite holidays. I know that EVERY day should be "Don't Be a Dick Day", but having a specific date is nice.

Oh boy, and even THIS thread has derailed into the whole "femenist/video games" argument.
Nothing is safe.
Nothing.

seems doable

unless some one pisses me off anyway

Revnak:
And if you're a woman who like Street Fighter are you just supposed to switch to a game that is more accepting of your sex (this is the type of situation I was referring to)?

I was not aware of games that refuse to accept people based on gender.

Revnak:
Should all women just go play Pony adventure nine where they won't have to deal with sexist morons?

Straw-man. At this point I should inform you that while it's perfectly reasonable to accidentally use fallacies (I don't mind them *that* much), you should not imply things about my character because you don't even know me. I particularly hate when people shove words in my mouth.

Revnak:
Or should women simply give up on the idea of using voice chat in their favorite games?

Hey, if your favorite way of playing your favorite game is talking to a bunch of random retards (matchmaking = Russian roulette), be my guest - but don't dare complain that you're getting insulted.

I only use chat in dedicated servers with moderators and admins or in clan matches with people I know so that I don't get shit talked.

I don't expose myself to people I don't know in voice chats and I disagree if you tell me that doing that will make me enjoy the game even more.

Revnak:
And people should not have to leave communities of any sort because others are abusive, the abusive people should have to leave.

Look, if a community is an accurate replica of the MGTOW forums trying to change them would imply the obliteration of the forums.

You could try to get the Stormfront to be less stupid. But do you think that it's more productive to fight them on their own grounds or just ignore them?

If a community is abusive, don't join it. If a community goes to shit, leave it.

It's the internet. Okay, you lost some time of your life on that community. But your house did not burn down, you don't have to move to another country, you did not lose your belongings. You have to leave elementary school, you have to leave highschool and at some point you won't go back to college to learn unless you're THAT smart. People come and go, friends get out of touch and many times lovers break up.

Revnak:
I will add that I think it has to be rather extreme for some kind of treatment to qualify as abuse before I get strawmanned to hell and back.

lol

My captcha is 'fair play'. That's a pretty good summary of what we should be aiming for. A modicum of respect between gamers regardless of other factors.

ElPatron:

Revnak:
And if you're a woman who like Street Fighter are you just supposed to switch to a game that is more accepting of your sex (this is the type of situation I was referring to)?

The communities surrounding them certainly do, or did that whole fiasco suddenly go away.

Revnak:
Should all women just go play Pony adventure nine where they won't have to deal with sexist morons?

Straw-man. At this point I should inform you that while it's perfectly reasonable to accidentally use fallacies (I don't mind them *that* much), you should not imply things about my character because you don't even know me. I particularly hate when people shove words in my mouth.

It was purposefully absurd. I wasn't saying that you wanted all women to play girly games, but that there really aren't any other online gaming communities that are accepting of women. It was a somewhat needless exaggeration.

Revnak:
Or should women simply give up on the idea of using voice chat in their favorite games?

Hey, if your favorite way of playing your favorite game is talking to a bunch of random retards (matchmaking = Russian roulette), be my guest - but don't dare complain that you're getting insulted.

I only use chat in dedicated servers with moderators and admins or in clan matches with people I know so that I don't get shit talked.

I don't expose myself to people I don't know in voice chats and I disagree if you tell me that doing that will make me enjoy the game even more.

The conclusion could be drawn about literally any method of socializing with new people. I honestly would like to be able to meet new people through shared interests like gaming. I would like women to be able to do so as well. And Live should allow people to accomplish this rather than enforcing a lack of socialization.

Revnak:
And people should not have to leave communities of any sort because others are abusive, the abusive people should have to leave.

Look, if a community is an accurate replica of the MGTOW forums trying to change them would imply the obliteration of the forums.

You could try to get the Stormfront to be less stupid. But do you think that it's more productive to fight them on their own grounds or just ignore them?

If a community is abusive, don't join it. If a community goes to shit, leave it.

It's the internet. Okay, you lost some time of your life on that community. But your house did not burn down, you don't have to move to another country, you did not lose your belongings. You have to leave elementary school, you have to leave highschool and at some point you won't go back to college to learn unless you're THAT smart. People come and go, friends get out of touch and many times lovers break up.

I'm not talking about Stormfront, I'm talking about video games. I'm talking about Starcraft and Street Fighter, League of Legends and Call of Duty. Games and communities I am a part of. I'm talking about communities not founded around hatred, but mutual appreciation. Why should women be excluded from such communities?

Revnak:

ElPatron:

Revnak:

The communities surrounding them certainly do, or did that whole fiasco suddenly go away.

Therefore it's not the game (like you implied on the other post), it's the community.

Problem solved.

Revnak:
there really aren't any other online gaming communities that are accepting of women.

Big generalization. If your way of proving your points is being absurd all the time you're making this harder for both of us.

Revnak:
The conclusion could be drawn about literally any method of socializing with new people. I honestly would like to be able to meet new people through shared interests like gaming. I would like women to be able to do so as well. And Live should allow people to accomplish this rather than enforcing a lack of socialization.

There are better places to do that if your interests are videogames. I have a policy of not wanting to know anyone on Live. My only way of judging people's characters is limited to a few simple sentences during games and I am not going to force everyone else to listen to us talk about politics and music.

I always heard that game chats were not the place to get dates. It can annoy everyone else, distract people from the game or actually offend the person being hit on.

Revnak:
I'm not talking about Stormfront, I'm talking about video games. I'm talking about Starcraft and Street Fighter, League of Legends and Call of Duty. Games and communities I am a part of. I'm talking about communities not founded around hatred, but mutual appreciation. Why should women be excluded from such communities?

If there is not hatred, then why are women being excluded? (if they are)
If there is mutual appreciation (lol cod) then problem solved.

First, League of Legends centralized it's community on Riot's own "lawn". Call of Duty is completely decentralized. Even the official forums are a small sample of the total number of players.

If a Call of Duty community is shit, you move to another one without being excluded from the game. There's thousands of them on Steam, outside Steam and a fuckton of clans to join.

Don't be a dick day?

Yeah... this is a lost cause.

Revnak:

This little snippit. Dude, I'm part of all those communities too. Guess what? I play with A LOT of women on those games and I'm not talking about custom games. I'm talking Diamond league, 2k normal elo/plat ranked elo female players. Here's the thing, you aren't excluded and if you think you are then the problem is with you and your own personal perception or simple lack of luck to actually get to meet the right people.

I mean of all my time being a closed beta player for League of Legends I honestly never expected to actually meet and get to play with Stonewall008(does the Reign of Gaming Jungle guides for EVERY champ in the game). He's a stand up guy and he plays with A LOT of people who are very good at the game and we use skype and chat it up. Hell, most of the women player I get to play with because of him are actually involved with the Go4LOL tournaments and they actually win money. May not be the cash that you see from the tournaments Riot does but they certainly have proven that they are part of the community.

The real problem here is that people don't understand taking where they are instead of trying to look at this nebulous and honestly irrational bigger picture that doesn't actually exist. Change comes from starting where you are physically in the world. If you are worried that some jackoff from some website you never even heard of before makes you feel oppressed then you are doing it wrong. You need to start local, get the help you need if there is any asshole that is being an asshole to you. If it is physical violence contact and report the person to the police, if it is a co-worker then report it to your manager and his manager.

As for the online, you gotta stop worrying about everyone else. I get told to kill myself every single day online do I let that affect me? No but I do what I need to do, if I feel it is a legitimate threat instead of a statement of anger due to losing then I report the person. I take the situation into account if the person actually means what they say or if they are acting irrationally which most people do online when playing video games that has a foundation based on competition which drives us to beat the living crap out of our opponents just like in the olympics.

You gotta work online where you are. You don't fight the big battles when it is your own personal comfort and safety you should be fighting for. If you aren't having fun playing online then ask yourself, are you playing with PUGS? If so and that seems to be the source of the problem, why are you still playing with PUGS? Make friends online be it clans, or through the MANY PUG games you have played and start as list and start playing organized games. That's what Stonewall008 does and he has a good time overall. If you are playing with PUGS don't try and enforce your standards onto others because other people are going to live their life by their own standards. Trying to force people to play the way you want them to play and act the way you want them to act is nothing but imperialism where chances are you are basing your assumption on a very small pool of bad experiences and not taking any action to make your situation better for yourself. Trying to fight this unidentifiable "gaming community" for what you think as sexist, racist, and any other ist is honestly a waste of your time cause that blob doesn't exist.

You wanna know what exists? Gaming communities that actually have leaders to which you can hold accountable. To which you should only hold accountable if and only if you find that they are going against the principles they set for themselves. You don't attack a clan for being sexist just cause their community is only men and this applied vice versa. They should have the right to build their community the way they want it to be and while you can certainly criticize you should not hold some resentment or make them some poster boy representing people who play video games. Cause the real big picture is that it isn't going to get you anywhere and most people who do play online and are active in video game communities don't deal with any of the problems these online anti-sex feminists are on about right now, of what Jack Thompson accused of people who play video games are more violent. They don't have to deal with any of that stuff cause they actually build a community and make it part of their world where they are comfortable and with people that share the same hobbies or safe to communicate to.

I'm happy when I play games because I'm secure of who I am and what I like to do in my life. People harass me online all the time with threats and if I find it to be a legitimate threat I take the proper action. If I don't like the community with a game I make friends who are like me and play with them leaving pugs to the wayside. If I just want to play the game then I acknowledge that I'm going to play with pugs that might or might not be assholes but I usually play Tribes for that cause playing with a PUG in a game like League of Legends is TERRIBLE no matter what your elo is. That is honestly what most people I know do if they are an adult and they love to play video games. The best way to change the world is to start at your doorstep and work from there.

That is what people who complain about video game communities don't get. People actually know how to live and let live.

Firstly, stop dismissing all types of online chat as being automatically unimportant because you're cynical and don't use it. That makes this argument impossible since that is the type of socialization both my and Wheaton's comments are primarily dealing with. Some people like in game chat and would rather it wasn't a hive of scum and villainy.

ElPatron:

Revnak:

ElPatron:

Therefore it's not the game (like you implied on the other post), it's the community.

Problem solved.

So women should just stay the fuck out of competitive gaming if they like fighting games then (that was he fiasco I was referring to)?

Revnak:
there really aren't any other online gaming communities that are accepting of women.

Big generalization. If your way of proving your points is being absurd all the time you're making this harder for both of us.

The number of games where women are treated even decently in the in-game chat is pretty damn slim.

Revnak:

There are better places to do that if your interests are videogames. I have a policy of not wanting to know anyone on Live. My only way of judging people's characters is limited to a few simple sentences during games and I am not going to force everyone else to listen to us talk about politics and music.

I always heard that game chats were not the place to get dates. It can annoy everyone else, distract people from the game or actually offend the person being hit on.

You shouldn't be looking for dates in game. You should be allowed to make friends though. It seems odd that you automatically jumped to the conclusion that I was talking about hitting on people because that is part of what is so wrong with most gaming communities. That kind of crap happens all the time. It's making friends that never happens.

Revnak:

If there is not hatred, then why are women being excluded? (if they are)
If there is mutual appreciation (lol cod) then problem solved.

First, League of Legends centralized it's community on Riot's own "lawn". Call of Duty is completely decentralized. Even the official forums are a small sample of the total number of players.

If a Call of Duty community is shit, you move to another one without being excluded from the game. There's thousands of them on Steam, outside Steam and a fuckton of clans to join.

Mutual appreciation of the game is what I meant. Most gaming communities are founded around liking a game. They should accept all the non-shitheads that like the game. Instead they often are just fine with the shit-heads and exclude others because members of the community just let the shit-heads do as they please. I would rather get rid of the shit-heads. They're in the wrong. And you can't just use a different in-game chat, at least not without being excluded from most of the game's community.

To dick is human, to forgive divine. But to judge a collective for the dicking of a few, that is feminism. Go dick yourself Wheaton, and that goes for the high horse you rode in on as well.

Only on the internet can you get a bunch of people rage at you for suggesting people not be dicks.

Oh, well.
I don't know why everyone is so defensive of people who want to be dicks.

"OK, Wesley Crusher. We won't be Dicks today."

So everyone acted like Cunts instead.

Revnak:
Firstly, stop dismissing all types of online chat as being automatically unimportant because you're cynical and don't use it. That makes this argument impossible since that is the type of socialization both my and Wheaton's comments are primarily dealing with. Some people like in game chat and would rather it wasn't a hive of scum and villainy.

Except I use it, and I have said so before.

Revnak:
So women should just stay the fuck out of competitive gaming if they like fighting games then (that was he fiasco I was referring to)?

Another of them straw-men creeping?

Revnak:
The number of games where women are treated even decently in the in-game chat is pretty damn slim.

And the number of games were men are nor insulted too?

Why am I arguing this, you said gaming communities (and there are communities dedicated to women, even female-only clans) and now you are talking about games?

Revnak:
You shouldn't be looking for dates in game. You should be allowed to make friends though. It seems odd that you automatically jumped to the conclusion that I was talking about hitting on people because that is part of what is so wrong with most gaming communities. That kind of crap happens all the time. It's making friends that never happens.

Not all dates are romantic, I just mentioned "hitting on" at the end. Anyway, there's plenty of places to be friends because I really hate background radio chatter that is not related to the game.

And if things actually get better, why would you want to be friends with people that in the past were probably the same people that were part of the problem?

Revnak:
Mutual appreciation of the game is what I meant.

Mutual appreciation of the game, and mutual dehumanization of the opponent.

Revnak:
Most gaming communities are founded around liking a game. They should accept all the non-shitheads that like the game. Instead they often are just fine with the shit-heads and exclude others because members of the community just let the shit-heads do as they please. I would rather get rid of the shit-heads. They're in the wrong. And you can't just use a different in-game chat, at least not without being excluded from most of the game's community.

Really? How about private ventrillo and teamspeak servers? Or skype? How about the fact that different Call of Duty servers have their own text chat that cannot be read by people on different servers?

Chat in a League of Legends match cannot be read by people outside it.

I seriously do not get your point, and if shit-heads do as they please and nobody is doing anything then it's time to leave.

Phasmal:
Only on the internet can you get a bunch of people rage at you for suggesting people not be dicks.

Oh, well.

I think you'll find much of the rage is directed at the quote mentioned after the main piece:

"I actually have a thing to say to guys who play video games," he said. "When a woman joins the game, like ... don't be a dick."

Granted the quote itself is from a long while ago, but put in the context of the rest of the article it gives an impression that is slightly... off.

Mr Cwtchy:

Phasmal:

Oh, well.

I think you'll find much of the rage is directed at the quote mentioned after the main piece:

"I actually have a thing to say to guys who play video games," he said. "When a woman joins the game, like ... don't be a dick."

Granted the quote itself is from a long while ago, but put in the context of the rest of the article it gives an impression is slightly... off.

Yeah, it's pretty simple to realise that it means don't flip out just because someone is a woman.
I don't mind getting shit for how well I'm playing or if I screw something up, but the `UR A WOMAN` stuff is just fucking stupid and needs to stop.

But I guess it's easier to flip out and scream feminazi ;)

It's a good idea, but I don't think it'll actually work out...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here