Durango Developers Verify Xbox 720 Prototype Details

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Durango Developers Verify Xbox 720 Prototype Details

A developer has outed photos of Microsoft's new PC-like "Durango" development platform.

Pictures and details of a development kit for Microsoft's next console have appeared on the ASSEMblergames forum. Codenamed "Durango", the unremarkable-looking black box seems to be essentially a high-end gaming PC in terms of its technology and appearance.

The source of the leak, who goes by the alias DaE, originally listed the Durango for sale for an eyebrow-raising $10,000, but the administrator removed the post after outing it as a prank. However, while the sale may have been a practical joke, the device itself is apparently anything but, with a variety of developers telling Digital Foundry that the photos of the kit's sparse user interface are legitimate.

The most widely-confirmed details are the type of processor and amount of memory that the Durango possesses. The Digital Foundry report confirmed DaE's claims that the dev kit is a 64-bit system sporting over 8GB of RAM, with some other sources giving a figure of 12GB. The memory is not indicative of the final Xbox 720, though, as the majority of development kits contain twice the memory of the finished product for debugging purposes. Another developer has added that the Durango can run the DirectX 11 engines used by many recent PC games with ease.

The other information DaE gave is somewhat less well-corroborated, however. Other developers in possession of the kit neither confirmed nor denied his claims that the Durango contains an eight-core processor, and his remarks on the manufacturers of various key components are also questionable . According to DaE, the processor and graphics card were made by Intel and NVIDIA respectively, a pairing which harks back to the original Xbox's hardware partnerships.

DaE also uploaded a screenshot of the Visual Studio environment he has been using to code for Durango. Not one of Digital Foundry's sources raised any doubt as to its veracity, with one adding, "As an aside it's got my favorite MS return code in there: ERROR_SUCCESS." One of the header files used, titled "immintrin.h", gives a strong hint that the processor will use an x86 architecture similar to that used in many PCs, signalling an intriguing departure from the proprietary architectures seen in most consoles and narrowing the gap between personal computer and console technology.

Source: Digital Foundry

That console will have to cost a grand at least, the components alone would retail at a pretty hefty price.

[edit] assuming this is legit

I bet this increase in processing power should be giving the PC gaming elite a bit of a Crysis of confidence.

DVS BSTrD:
I bet this increase in processing power should be giving the PC gaming elite a bit of a Crysis of confidence.

Why would it? The current console generation is the reason why many PC players are extremely upset. They're blocking advancements in the gaming area.

Why do you think more and more Devs are currently going back to the PC? The current console generation is dead.

Cant wait for the increase in quality from games

nodlimax:

DVS BSTrD:

Why would it? The current console generation is the reason why many PC players are extremely upset. They're blocking advancements in the gaming area.

Why do you think more and more Devs are currently going back to the PC? The current console generation is dead.

...You do know that that post was supposed to be a joke right?

OT: I am going off to college in a month so odds are I won't be able to fork over cash for a new console for awhile, but this interests me.

His Solution Explorer's on the wrong side of the screen! GAH!

Also, I wish Visual Studio 11 was more colourful

EDIT: I will say however that I noticed the Metro style UI, especially the circular loading icon (the thing that looks like YouTube's 'buffering ring'), which is one of the two loading animations used in Windows 8. This could actually show that the new console is Metro based and could be sharing Win8's kernal like Windows Phone 8 will do, OR it's just a hoax constructed in Windows 8

I'm really just hoping that Microsoft will still put games at the center focus in their next console. Look, I like being able to watch Netflix on there like everybody else, but when they start adding things like ESPN (that could easily be accessed by anyone with cable) and then put the "Start Game" button up in a small corner surrounded by big advertisements...

...then it just makes me wonder if games are still going to be top priority come the next generation or if they put more and more crap that no gamer needs into it.

Dangit2019:
I'm really just hoping that Microsoft will still put games at the center focus in their next console. Look, I like being able to watch Netflix on there like everybody else, but when they start adding things like ESPN (that could easily be accessed by anyone with cable) and then put the "Start Game" button up in a small corner surrounded by big advertisements...

...then it just makes me wonder if games are still going to be top priority come the next generation or if they put more and more crap that no gamer needs into it.

This is what I am worried about as well. Very worried actually. I don't want any of that extra crap. NONE of it. Not even Netflix, if that makes them want to add more "extras."

The game in a corner thing is actually why I cancelled my Xbox Gold account to start with. I sent them an email describing how I think the game should be the main focus and not ads, and if that wasn't changed I would not be purchasing Gold again. The reply will shock and disgust you:

"Hello [my gamertag].
We received your email, But that is not the experience that we want you to have with your Xbox system.

[Representative's Name]"

Now, that is not an exact quote (this was about a year ago, when the Xbox dashboard defaulted to the "Spotlight" channel, actual email is long gone) but it is very, very close.

Isn't that the scariest reply that you guys have ever seen?

I need a new, less expensive hobby. Every time I think there's a lull in the industry taking my money in order to stay on track, something else pops up.

The Digital Foundry report confirmed DaE's claims that the dev kit is a 64-bit system sporting over 8GB of RAM, with some other sources giving a figure of 12GB. The memory is not indicative of the final Xbox 720, though, as the majority of development kits contain twice the memory of the finished product for debugging purposes.

So the new console will only have 4GB of RAM? My 3 year old PC has that. I don't know how much the 360 or PS3 have but that seems low to me. Isn't the point of a new console generation to actually upgrade the consoles?

sindremaster:
So the new console will only have 4GB of RAM? My 3 year old PC has that. I don't know how much the 360 or PS3 have but that seems low to me. Isn't the point of a new console generation to actually upgrade the consoles?

Hey, at least that's way better than the woeful 512 megabytes the current consoles sport.

As a rare case of optimism on my part, I'm quite interested in what the new gen is going to be capable of.

sindremaster:

The Digital Foundry report confirmed DaE's claims that the dev kit is a 64-bit system sporting over 8GB of RAM, with some other sources giving a figure of 12GB. The memory is not indicative of the final Xbox 720, though, as the majority of development kits contain twice the memory of the finished product for debugging purposes.

To me the point of the new console system is going to make you pay for a close off, limited use, service happy, highly ad heavy PC. Sure the upgrading is nice but I seriously doubt the prices for those upgrades will be competitive considering how gaming companies priced their upgraded memory this generation.

I can't see these consoles being under 600 bucks at least and its not including upgrades.

Hammeroj:

sindremaster:

Hey, at least that's way better than the woeful 512 megabytes the current consoles sport.

As a rare case of optimism on my part, I'm quite interested in what the new gen is going to be capable of.

The Xbox360 has 512 MB of RAM? How the hell does it even run games?

nodlimax:

DVS BSTrD:

Actually, as a PC gamer, I'm very happy with current situation. I bought my PC in 2008, and since then, I can play any game I want on high details, because the market hasn't moved on. And currently, the graphics are already great looking. I like it this way.

Oh, and I don't care about the platform wars. I'm happy where I am, I can play everything I want, the way I want, and nothing is gonna change it.

If the new Xbox is going to be that expensive.. Actually, no, I'm tired of consoles. I already got a decent PC, I'll just upgrade it for less than a new console and make it better than them. I'll probably pick up a Wii U because... Well it's Nintendo and their console is at least trying something new and they usually release pretty good exclusive titles fairly consistently, but since Sony and Microsoft have turned to making their consoles streamlined, neutered PCs I might as well jump to the real thing. With any luck, I'll just get any console exclusives on the Wii U since it's improving their 3rd party support.

Take me into your loving embrace, Gaben.

JezWilkinson:
One of the header files used, titled "immintrin.h", gives a strong hint that the processor will use an x86 architecture similar to that used in many PCs, signalling an intriguing departure from the proprietary architectures seen in most consoles and narrowing the gap between personal computer and console technology.

In terms of the XBox hardware news I am not interested in Intel of Nvidia. I want to know if it has quality RAM that will last, and not the RAM that causes RROD. It also isn't x86. It can has to be AMD64 arch or only have 3 Gigs of RAM. If it has 3 Tera bytes of RAM but a 90% failure rate I'm still not buying. If it has more then 3 Gigs and is made by Intel it can only be AMD64 or if they want to be abusive to devs IA64. But outside of HP no one uses The Starship Itanic.

medv4380:

JezWilkinson:
One of the header files used, titled "immintrin.h", gives a strong hint that the processor will use an x86 architecture similar to that used in many PCs, signalling an intriguing departure from the proprietary architectures seen in most consoles and narrowing the gap between personal computer and console technology.

In terms of the XBox hardware news I am not interested in Intel of Nvidia. I want to know if it has quality RAM that will last, and not the RAM that causes RROD. It also isn't x86. It can has to be AMD64 arch or only have 3 Gigs of RAM. If it has 3 Tera bytes of RAM but a 90% failure rate I'm still not buying. If it has more then 3 Gigs and is made by Intel it can only be AMD64 or if they want to be abusive to devs IA64. But outside of HP no one uses The Starship Itanic.

By x86, I'm sure he meant x86_64, at least that's what first came to mind. Nobodoy uses "plain old" x86 anymore, it's either x86_64 or ARM or whatever other processor architecture. So if they're going for x86 it's gonna be 64bit.

But if these rumors are true, then the next Xbox's games should be able to run on any modern gaming PC, either with official support from Microsoft or with the brute force of programming talent out there. We'll have to wait and see until we get an official word from Microsoft regarding their next hardware product.

Pinkamena:

Absurd amounts of optimization, not using any sort of advanced technology (hell, shadows that don't look like shit is advanced in the context we're talking about) and a combination of a multitude of other things, like cutting down on the quality and quantity of models and animations wherever possible, or taking on a small scale where visuals and gameplay are concerned.

I guess I can imagine how someone would see the things the consoles pull off as impressive, but in some areas, the things have been showing their age since before they finished their first year.

Pinkamena:

Consoles don't require anywhere near as much RAM as PCs due to the fact that they only run 1 very specific program at any given time, with a minimal system UI that takes up very little memory. PCs on the other hand have various programs and an entire complex operating system that requires vast amounts of RAM.

When the 360 first launched it was able to outperform many "high-end" PCs with 2GB+ of RAM because it has no complex OS to run in the background constantly and only a game to worry about. It is also always easier to optimize a game when you know exactly what hardware everyone is working with.

Hammeroj:
Absurd amounts of optimization, not using any sort of advanced technology (hell, shadows that don't look like shit is advanced in the context we're talking about) and a combination of a multitude of other things, like cutting down on the quality and quantity of models and animations wherever possible, or taking on a small scale where visuals and gameplay are concerned.

I guess I can imagine how someone would see the things the consoles pull off as impressive, but in some areas, the things have been showing their age since before they finished their first year.

Also this. Currently a lot of stuff is left out from PC games ported to console. Resolutions are lowered, etc.

Xbox 720? We're just going in circles! *rimshot*
So it's more or less a midrange computer, but without all the customization that makes computers worth having?
You can buy a better gaming rig than the specs offered for less than a grand (and then you can make it better!). I'd like to see how much this new generation will cost.
Pretty soon these consoles are just going to be lame PC's with OS's tailored to a specific company and filled with bloatware.

Captcha: slippery slope
Well said captcha.

Shy_Guy:

Pinkamena:

Consoles don't require anywhere near as much RAM as PCs due to the fact that they only run 1 very specific program at any given time, with a minimal system UI that takes up very little memory. PCs on the other hand have various programs and an entire complex operating system that requires vast amounts of RAM.

When the 360 first launched it was able to outperform many "high-end" PCs with 2GB+ of RAM because it has no complex OS to run in the background constantly and only a game to worry about. It is also always easier to optimize a game when you know exactly what hardware everyone is working with.

Hammeroj:

Also this. Currently a lot of stuff is left out from PC games ported to console. Resolutions are lowered, etc.

I would agree with you on the optimization argument if the Xbox wasn't so ad heavy. Also if they really are essentially porting windows 8 the whole optimization thing falls apart...

In terms of hardware? I am running on a PC with last gen dumpster dived parts (AMD AM2 Dual core, E-machines mobo, and GT430 GFXcard) that is at least on par with that thing. Until I see some Processor and GPU specs I won't even think of this machine. Hell I was a PS3 user, jumped ship and went over to PC. The PS3 has been gathering dust in a corner until a console exclusive comes out. I have found once you have the basic frame, upgrading parts is actually pretty cost effective(especially if you go AMD).

I just realized, next gen might not be red rings. BSOD on Xbox anyone?

Ok why would they have only a 64bit OS and then give it more than 8gb of ram? That is just plain stupid. Unless it is made to take advantage of it like the say Win 7 Ultimate.

Never mind I missed that this was supposed to be the Dev kit specs.

The PC Elitism in this thread makes me smile. Can't resist a chance to wave your e-penis at people, huh?

OT: Only one factor is important to me: Will it run used games? If not, and Sony does, Sony wins the next console generation on day one. Simple as that. If not, and Sony doesn't, gaming on console dies a horrible death. If they do, and Sony does, it's business as usual.

Hmm, wait for this for about 2 years or buy a high spec gaming PC on Friday?

NameIsRobertPaulson:
The PC Elitism in this thread makes me smile. Can't resist a chance to wave your e-penis at people, huh?

OT: Only one factor is important to me: Will it run used games? If not, and Sony does, Sony wins the next console generation on day one. Simple as that. If not, and Sony doesn't, gaming on console dies a horrible death. If they do, and Sony does, it's business as usual.

This is pretty much all that matters to me as well for the next set of consoles.
And maybe I'm overreacting or being crazy, but I also agree if Sony and MS enable the no used game policy, console gaming will be dead.
Sure the Wii will continue but..um.
Well.....
Yeah.

DVS BSTrD:

why give it a year or 2 and the pc will make this look out dated "again"

also considering the specs if legit this will cost the same if not more than a decent gaming rig with none of the upgrades that the pc user will be able to do

on the other hand as a pc and console gamer i will be happy to see the consoles catch up again this can only be a good thing for games

NameIsRobertPaulson:

The amount of jelly in your post makes me smile. Can't resist a chance at playing the victim, huh?

You need to start being able to separate yourself emotionally from the hardware you own.

starhaven:
why give it a year or 2 and the pc will make this look out dated "again"

also considering the specs if legit this will cost the same if not more than a decent gaming rig with none of the upgrades that the pc user will be able to do

on the other hand as a pc and console gamer i will be happy to see the consoles catch up again this can only be a good thing for games

If we're talking about the specs, these have been outdated for years now. If we're talking about what the new console will be able to do, well, we don't know anything about that yet, apart from that it should be capable of way more than the current gen. Which isn't a whole lot.

My guess would be that certain PCs, like the monster that ran the Samaritan demo, will make the console outdated before it's even released. And given that this isn't even close to being released, I'm thinking any gamer with higher-end machines will have that outdone by the time it comes.

Anyway, speculation. They better start showing demos and shit.

Hammeroj:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

The amount of jelly in your post makes me smile. Can't resist a chance at playing the victim, huh?

You need to start being able to separate yourself emotionally from the hardware you own.

Y'know, elitism is the belief that people who own good hardware are better than those who don't. So "NameIsRobertPaulson" is the one who's trying to say that hardware doesn't matter in gaming setups. So....this is ironic.....

Blah Blah, technical babble blah. Anyway, as someone who wants to join the PC gaming crowd but is just too damn poor to afford it, this is somewhat good news. If this is cheaper than a high end PC then I'll definitely buy it because game devs will most likely optimise their games for this type of build and then I will continue to save up for a high end PC so I won't have to buy the Xbox 1440 or whatever they'd call the next Xbox after this. Budgeting, simple stuff.

Hammeroj:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Right... I don't remember being among the people who came into a thread about the new console to brag how "outdated" and "worthless" they are compared to the PC MASTER RACE. Maybe when people stop doing that, society can get a little better as a whole.

Or basically:

trollpwner:

Hammeroj:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Y'know, elitism is the belief that people who own good hardware are better than those who don't. So "NameIsRobertPaulson" is the one who's trying to say that hardware doesn't matter in gaming setups. So....this is ironic.....

^^^THAT^^^

NameIsRobertPaulson:
SNIP

Thank god. Someone who isn't caught up fanboyishly justifying their latest hardware purchase and can recognize that hardware is the least important part of games. The escapist needs more people like you, man.

trollpwner:

Except it does matter, and this "PC elitism" shtick is nothing more than getting offended that some people don't find the hardware - that you probably own - good enough. You point me to the part where anybody says they're superior to people who own consoles, and then we're having this conversation.

Hammeroj:
[Except it does matter, and this "PC elitism" shtick is nothing more than getting offended that some people don't find your hardware good enough. You point me to the part where anybody says they're superior to people who own consoles, and then we're having this conversation.

Fortunately, with a little CRTL+C, CTRL+V, your question is answered:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Right... I don't remember being among the people who came into a thread about the new console to brag how "outdated" and "worthless" they are compared to the PC MASTER RACE. Maybe when people stop doing that, society can get a little better as a whole.

trollpwner:

Hammeroj:
[Except it does matter, and this "PC elitism" shtick is nothing more than getting offended that some people don't find your hardware good enough. You point me to the part where anybody says they're superior to people who own consoles, and then we're having this conversation.

Fortunately, with a little CRTL+C, CTRL+V, your question is answered:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

There was no answering going on. Read my question again, and try again, instead of quoting the guy you're participating in a circlejerk with.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here