Your Robot Now Has Electronic Skin

Your Robot Now Has Electronic Skin

Scientists have developed an electronic sensor that's as sensitive as human skin.

Lifelike androids are a staple of science-fiction stories from Asimov to Alien, but real technological hurdles prevent an autonomous robot eating a sandwich with you at the local deli. Never mind the obvious AI problem, androids need a complex nervous system to absorb the details of its surroundings. We often devalue how important the sense of touch is in our lives. A robot that can't feel with its fingers would be a poor approximation indeed, but science has yet to produce a material which could come close mimicking the sensitivity of human skin. Korean researchers from the Seoul National University developed a sensor which can measure not only touch pressure, but twisting and shear stress on the "skin" as well.

The lead engineer Kahp-Yang Suh wrote a paper which appears in the Nature Materials journal today describing a mesh of extremely thin plastic fiber "hairs" - 100 nanometres in diameter and one micrometre long. Suh coated these hairs in metal so that they conducted electricity, and wrote software to interpret the smallest change in the hair's electrical resistance.

Not only can Suh's material detect a ladybug crawling across it, but also pinpoint exactly where that ladybug made contact.

The applications for a flexible sensor with such accuracy are numerous, and Suh is in talks with a manufacturer to make heart monitors using the stuff. But of course, the only thing I'm thinking about is Data, Bishop and the skinjob Cylons are probably covered with something similar.

Source: Nature

And we come one step closer to a cyberpunk dystopian future :O

Fappy:

The best kind of dystopian future ;D

Fappy:

You mean like in Repo Man?

If so, then no thank you. D:

It looks like wool harvested from electric sheep. That's something worth dreaming about.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Fappy:

You mean like in Repo Man?

If so, then no thank you. D:

He's probably thinking more like Ghost in the Shell, or Deus Ex. This kind of thing should actually keep organ harvesting at bay, if it allows for synthetics to be made more easily and efficiently.

I love shit like this. Makes me excited to see how this kind of thing can be used for prosthetic limbs to make them a better replacement for human limbs.

And, of course, to allow our future robot overlords (Which I for one, welcome) to walk among us unknown until their moment of glory.

Cool, soon we'll have replaceable limbs for amputees, and then when the technology has become cheap enough we'll have them for the general populace, and hopefully we won't have the deus ex anti-cybernetic people who think being more physically capable is bad.

Fappy:
And we come one step closer to a cyberpunk AWESOME future :O

Had a little typo there, fella. There is no charge.

OT: Awesome! Now, how long before it all hammers together into Ghost in the Shell?

I want BSG and Caprica back already X'(
Frakkin' Cylons story must be told... so we know how to fight the inevitable machine menace... or something >_>

Well, it'll have to do to make the infiltration units more believable until SKYNET works the kinks out of that mimetic polyalloy.

...I mean, um. Wow! Cool! And stuff.

DVS BSTrD:
It looks like wool harvested from electric sheep. That's something worth dreaming about.

Time to die.

Sooner or later things will turn out like Snatcher.

Beautiful! simply beautiful... I had my doubts that robots could have a simulated "Touch" sense, however I am glad that I have been proven wrong!

One step closer to having replacement limbs.

DVS BSTrD:

I like you, have an internet Nerd Stamp Cookie(tm)

Also, gimmie gimmie gimmie my bionic arm!

So, I guess old robots are going to have to worry about a different kind of hair loss...

At least sexbots will be able to enjoy it as well.

And so it begins. I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

DVS BSTrD:

I've had those dreams. My master says that could be a glitch but he wants to see what else I can dream.

No one wants to look on the bright side of this news?

You know, like a future in which Star Warsesque Robot Hands are real?

So, we've skipped metal-plated androids entirely and have gone straight to Terminator and Tricia Helferbot territory.

>spins a noisemaker halfheartedly

So. Excited. For extinction.

On a more ponderous note: How long do you think it'll take before this sinks into the public consciousness? Twenty years from now, will we still have robots that have plate mail exteriors? I mean, look at C-3PO, the classic Cylons, all the non-humaniform Asimovian robots, heck, even the GETH. We have to throw ALL that out the window and coat our robots in fabric now. I don't think I've EVER seen androids depicted that way.

This might be what redefines our view of the Future and Science.

uncanny474:

On a more ponderous note: How long do you think it'll take before this sinks into the public consciousness? Twenty years from now, will we still have robots that have plate mail exteriors? I mean, look at C-3PO, the classic Cylons, all the non-humaniform Asimovian robots, heck, even the GETH. We have to throw ALL that out the window and coat our robots in fabric now. I don't think I've EVER seen androids depicted that way.

This might be what redefines our view of the Future and Science.

We'll probably still have robots with plated exteriors, if only because the fake skin would cost more, making it only needed for the sake of luxury or when it's on a robot that would actually need it. Right now the obstacle isn't how we're going to cover the robots and more figuring out how to create an upright bipedal robot. It's been done, sure, but only recently, and even then it wasn't very stable.

And yes, the topic talking about that guy had the standard "doomsday" replies, too. You'd think eventually people would get bored of that shit... but no, apparently not.

Sex bots.

All I can think from this is sex bots.

This is probably the coolest news I've heard in a long time. My first thought though, was security. Could you imagine and entire building where the floor was coated in this stuff? Being able to track every individual everywhere? That'd be awesome.
But in terms of prosthetic limbs, this is the kinda breakthrough that makes them seem that bit closer to the Deus Ex or I-Robot style, completely seamless with natural limbs and completely capable.

Oh and the dude who make the electric sheep reference, made my day.

Actually, skinjobs were bio-engineered androids. More flesh than machine including proper skin.

Other than BSG fanboy nitpicking, this is really cool. Not only does it rock for androids but it could really advance prosthetic limbs a lot.

So, eventually, I will have a robot with hands sensitive enough to tenderly rub, stroke, and massage my...

Captcha: "are you human?" With this stuff around maybe I should check. Just to make sure...

WhiteTigerShiro:
We'll probably still have robots with plated exteriors, if only because the fake skin would cost more, making it only needed for the sake of luxury or when it's on a robot that would actually need it. Right now the obstacle isn't how we're going to cover the robots and more figuring out how to create an upright bipedal robot. It's been done, sure, but only recently, and even then it wasn't very stable.

And yes, the topic talking about that guy had the standard "doomsday" replies, too. You'd think eventually people would get bored of that shit... but no, apparently not.

Obviously, SOME robots will have plated skin. I was thinking more along the lines of androids. How long will it be before androids stop looking like C-3P0 and START looking like they're covered in cotton?

uncanny474:
So, we've skipped metal-plated androids entirely and have gone straight to Terminator and Tricia Helferbot territory.

Well, during our inevitable war with machines, their foot soldiers will be covered in composite armor (outer layer is usually ceramic), while infiltrators/spies will be covered in artificial skin
So yes, we totally skipped metal-plated ROBOTS

P.S. Android/gynoid is anything that looks like human, but is controlled by artificial control unit, so by definition androids/gynoids can't be metal-plated.
P.P.S. Sorry for nitpicking, but I felt it was necessary to fix this.

Captcha: eighty six
Your Answer: 42?
Captcha Error
Why? I think I was right, wasn't I?

Does this mean when we all get robotic butlers and maids, they will be ticklish? Because if so, i want to see if its possible for a robot to be tickled so much it overloads.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here