Update: Deus Ex Voice Actor Warns of Deadly Illuminati Fruit Flies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Deus Ex Voice Actor Warns of Deadly Illuminati Fruit Flies

Whatever's gotten into Stephen Shellen, he probably never asked for this.

Stephen Shellen, best known as the voice actor for Deus Ex: Human Revolution's David Sarif, has holed up in an undisclosed location to hide from Illuminati agents and their fully equipped fruit flies.

No, really. A video featuring the voice actor's paranoid rambling has been uploaded to YouTube. Shellen warns the world that we are under attack in our own homes, from inconspicuous specks that he has identified as "fully fucking equipped Area 51 deadly dangerous fruit flies." These tiny agents of terror are allegedly shooting vaccines into us, as well as being armed with some "alien form of laser."

In other words, Shellen is quickly approaching Charlie Sheen levels of bonkers. Many have noted that the video is far too well-cut to be the product of true insanity. The fact that Shellen is so deeply entrenched in the conspiracy could mean that this is all part of a viral marketing campaign for another Deus Ex game, a series built from layers upon layers of conspiracy theories.

Neowin reports that "Shellen believes the Illuminati are coming for him, and his time is limited before he dies for real. He uploaded a YouTube video showing the extent of his concern. According to him, the Illuminati are spying on him at present, and he is due to die on July 30th 2012." This information doesn't seem to come from the video. For those of you keeping track, July 30 has already passed, so either the Illuminati have covered up their success or we'll (presumably) be hearing more from Shellen soon. Adding to the mystery, Shellen's Wikipedia page has undergone heavy revision over the past few days, with changes including adding his date of death as the 30 and inserting "Icarus has found you" (a reference to a warning from the original Deus Ex). At the time of this writing, the page is locked due to "persistent vandalism."

Update: Thanks to some sleuthing by Chris Franklin, it appears that this video (and surrounding conspiracy) may be disingenuous. The video itself is a re-uploading of an older video in which Shellen plays a character called "Hobo Steve." The original video is part of a channel of similarly outlandish conspiracy theories and "a generous dose of humor."

This is not to say that this is conclusively staged - there isn't enough information to tell whether the Hobo Steve character is purely fictional or a persona Shellen uses to express his actual beliefs on the channel. Either way, it's safe to assume that this has nothing to do with the Deus Ex franchise.

Source: YouTube

Are people really still going on about the Illuminati? Guys, the Da Vinci Code is not real. Now please, just shut up.

The illuminati would like to categorically state that we are in no way, shape or form trying to kill Mr Shellen nor are we spying on him for any other reason than that shit is funny.

We would also like to officially deny making this public statement or that we exist.

"Granted I did smoke a little weed tonight..."
I thought weed was supposed to mellow you out, not make you racist against Mexicans. They're not everywhere.

wait for it...

Fingers crossed that is more of a new Deus Ex PR stunt that leads to a new Deus Ex being made!

If not...hmmmmmm.

Haha, yeah, what a loon... for thinking that he's being spied on by the, heh, Illuminati.
Yeah... I mean...
They've got a gun to my head, please help

OT: I hope that this means we'll be getting a new Deus Ex, or something pertaining to it.

I'm guessing marketing campaign. The cuts, the wiki edits, and the Deux Ex line all seem like some sort of mini-hype building thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new coutdown site or something like the augmentation site pop up in the next couple weeks.

So... A new Deus Ex reveal soon?

Smells good to me.

Gearhead mk2:
Are people really still going on about the Illuminati? Guys, the Da Vinci Code is not real. Now please, just shut up.

I work at a high school and let me tell you the kids talk ALL the time about illuminati crap. There are even whole conspiracy videos about how popular rappers are fighting some war over who is aligned to illuminati and who is against them....and the latest one is about how some little wayne music video had skeletons in a theater and since he is aligned to illuminati that proves that the colorado shooting was an illuminati plot...to do something.....seriously. I'm not making this up lol. It drives me insane whenever I hear them babbling nonsense and rattling off "history" they learned from youtube about the illuminati.

Anyways on topic this definitely sounds like the start of some sort of viral marketting type of thing.

Gearhead mk2:

Just what I'd expect an ILLUMINATI AGENT TO SAY!

OT, I hope this is viral marketing, because if it isn't, I'm sad. He had such a nice voice, and it's hard to get crazy people to do voice acting.

Hopefully this is fake; a joke or something of a stunt. He seems unwell.

Like the article said, this looks way too well-cut to be actual rambling by a mad man, and the concurrent Wikipedia changes are too big a coincidence to not mean something.

Please let this mean that there's gonna be a Deus Ex: HR sequal. That game kicked ass.

IMMINENT EXPANSION PACK PLEASE!

Also, I loved this guy in the game. I know his performance was pretty controversial, but I thought he did a top notch job as Sarif.

Obviously a viral ad campaign, but it sounds very interesting.

DEUS EX REMAKE! Let it be known that I called it first. Also that it's not likely to happen. Maybe some sort of expansion pack, but not a full remake (which would be fucking awesome.)

I'll have whatever the fuck he's having...

I don't think this is a PR move or something like that but still don't think this is serious. There is well timed cuts in this. It's just a joke is my guess.

I was very weirded out by the voice of David Sarif on this guy though.

also, PLS A NEW DEUS EX, THANKS

that is all

Yeah, dude's got an editor. Completely whacked-out crazy people don't generally have editors, and the editors wouldn't leave in the weed joke.

There's not enough vaccine to go around and the underclasses are starting to get desperate.

Deviate:
DEUS EX REMAKE! Let it be known that I called it first. Also that it's not likely to happen. Maybe some sort of expansion pack, but not a full remake (which would be fucking awesome.)

Yeah that was my first thought, I'm not all the way through DX:HR but as far as I can tell the Illuminati don't appear, whereas they were quite big in the original. Plus tiny fruit flies = nanobots.

So yeah, remake or re-imagining of DX?

Ha Ha! Where is your cyborg now?!

Could be either. It's so hard to tell if crazy is real sometimes, because no amount of crazy is too ridiculous to be real. I once had a guy flip out on me and go on a big screaming rant for a minute or two because he insisted my birthday was in July, which it isn't.

But yeah, those eeeeeevil scientists are in fact breeding new species of fruit flies, and are probably attaching laser beams to their heads as we speak.

Which I think is unfortunate, because if they're breeding new species of fruit flies, they should be spending their time publicizing that and closing the door on the evolution vs. creationism debate once and for all. It's real, it's been seen to happen in the lab, case closed. But not enough people hear about it.

Doom972:
There's not enough vaccine to go around and the underclasses are starting to get desperate.

"Your turn."

"Desperate."

"Desperate."

"Desperate."

"Desperate."

"Desperate."

- Deus Ex the Recut

Second only to the Malkavian Mod for sheer comedy.

Illuminati agents with fruit flies? right...
this is either a marketing thing, he is crazy, or he take drugs other then weed

number2301:

Deviate:

Yeah that was my first thought, I'm not all the way through DX:HR but as far as I can tell the Illuminati don't appear, whereas they were quite big in the original. Plus tiny fruit flies = nanobots.

So yeah, remake or re-imagining of DX?

The game's been out for yonks now, so I'm not going to bother with spoiler warnings. The Illuminati is -everywhere- in HR and from an early point too. Hell, you get indications and hints from the get-go.

I hope this was an advertising campaign otherwise he is high as shit.

Gearhead mk2:

You do know a real Illuminati exists, right? Or rather, existed, being founded in 1776 and disbanded a few decades later.

Acting as if the Illuminati were created by Dan Brown is like saying Coke invented Santa Claus. Wait, even that makes more sense. No, it's like thinking Jesus was invented by Kevin Smith.

OT: I hope it's just another lame marketing ploy, because as bad as that is it's better than a man going actually insane (followed by people speculating that he's just pretending to be insane). Specially because he seemed to be a cool guy who was legitimately hurt when people made fun of his gravel-like voicework but was never confrontational about it.

so we are the 31... any news he is dead, his date is passed due...
Myguess it is a marketting ploy

The Random One:

Gearhead mk2:

You do know a real Illuminati exists, right? Or rather, existed, being founded in 1776 and disbanded a few decades later.

Acting as if the Illuminati were created by Dan Brown is like saying Coke invented Santa Claus. Wait, even that makes more sense. No, it's like thinking Jesus was invented by Kevin Smith.

I'm pretty sure his point wasn't that Dan Brown made up the Illuminati.

Why would the Illuminati need to use fruit flies to spy on us when they could just use their influence to make the government do it in broad daylight (and convince us that it's for our own good)?

McMullen:

Which I think is unfortunate, because if they're breeding new species of fruit flies, they should be spending their time publicizing that and closing the door on the evolution vs. creationism debate once and for all. It's real, it's been seen to happen in the lab, case closed. But not enough people hear about it.

No amount of evidence will convince creationists that evolution is real, they're allergic to logic.

I think people should probably read this before passing judgement: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=16841

I really hope it's not a viral marketing campaign because that would be pretty damn tasteless. Will wait and see...

It's obviously not real. It could be a PR stunt. Remember how awesome the entire marketing for Human Revolution was? There was Sarif Industries website, Purity First website etc. Then there were those awesome live-action videos of augmented people. So a stunt like this doesn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, I loved his character in the game. He wasn't a greedy corporate CEO. He was genuinely enthusiastic about augmentation and he believed it to be good for humanity. I wasn't expecting that at all. I was expecting him to become the bad guy by the end of the game.

Packie_J:
I think people should probably read this before passing judgement: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=16841

I really hope it's not a viral marketing campaign because that would be pretty damn tasteless. Will wait and see...

I don't really think it would be in bad taste in this context. It's a game series about the Illuminati and Area 51. These are huge parts of it. Having someone on the run from these organizations and being totally incapacitated with fear of them makes perfect sense in the universe of Deus Ex.

That said, it does seem pretty disjointed and random for a piece of advertising. I'm curious what it ends up being.

EDIT: Uh, oh guys. Sounds to me like this isn't marketing and isn't a joke. Decide for yourselves, but I think this guy is genuinely ill.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/audioPop.jsp?episodeId=472732&cmd=apop

Basically, he believes he's been "targeted" for the last 15 years by some secretive organizations who've been ruining his life.

OK.

Mr. Shellen, if this is not some viral marketing ploy, please refrain from smoking weed. It seems it doesn't do you much good and it makes you look like an insane person. Also, if you really have that many fruit flies, I suggest you clean up, you scruffy bastard. My ultimate weapon of choice: take some of that good wine, pour the fruit flies half a glass or so. Fill up with water. Add a dash of liquid soap, to break the surface tension, so drinking flies will drown. Drowned fruit flies will not be able to use their lasers anymore, as they are dead.

Beware of fruit flies that can breathe underwater.

Love,
-Headdrivehardscrew.

Look for the Fnord between the lines. Fruit flies eh?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here