Star Wars: The Old Republic Goes Free-to-Play

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

It was clear that this would happen sooner or later. Several mistakes early on like too many servers, no server transfers and patches creating more chaos than they were fixing scared away a lot of their customers.

Funny. When the game first came out a lot of people were taking bets on how long till it went free to play. Now we have the answer: Less than a year.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Still not interested, but maybe I'll take a shot at it if I'm bored sometime.

rhizhim:

survivor686:
So its Free to Play...but Pay to Win?

its always pay to win....

League of Legends disagrees.

nodlimax:

major_chaos:
This is a good thing from where I'm standing. the sooner MMOs move away from the bullshit monthly subscription model the better.

You do know that Freemium or "F2P"are usually more expensive than the Sub based MMOs? But the costs in these models are kind of hidden for the uneducated kind of people.

I understand what you're saying. On the flip side, if consumers wish to remain ignorant, it's on them.

Personally, freemium is always better for me since I rarely buy stuff anyway.

rhizhim:

survivor686:
So its Free to Play...but Pay to Win?

its always pay to win....

It also looks like its Pay to Enjoy. No access to dungeons or warzones unless you cough up the dough.

So everytime I want in, I have to pay? Or is it a one time payment?

What do they mean by customization? If I earn an armour piece, do I need to pay for it?

ahh, when i saw this i thought to myself - i gotta see the official forums
lo and behold - rage and butthurt as far as eye can see.
because giving an extra option always breaks everything. every f2p mmo ceases to exist one second after the transformation, and absolutely no f2p game is good. its like, there is this awesome game and *plop* its shite.
oh yeah, i tend to be sarcastic.

is it me or does it seems like "singleplayer is free, mmo you have to pay for"? because that sounds AWESOME.

I would make a Tortanic joke, but I don't think there's any joke left unsaid.

I love their forums at the moment. The most hilarious posts are the ones bitching that there will be more players. Really? I mean, REALLY? Did these decerebrates miss the rejoicing when the server merges let people play with other players again?

OMG! They will be 12 year old smacktards! Well, one, yes, many online games have those, including TOR right now. They won't be allowed into High level content without paying, so, assuming that you bothered to level your toons, HOW WOULD THAT CHANGE ANYTHING? Two, does it occur to these morons that this means more of a market on the AH for the lower tier stuff that never sells?

It seems a lot of people are misinformed here. There's only going to be an option added to play the game for free, with aforementioned restrictions. For people already paying the subscription fee nothing changes except you get lots more free vanity stuff.

It's this easy: you play for free and if you like it you pay the subscription to get access to the full game. You can view the free version as a sort of demo version. I think it's a good idea and I will keep playing like I am now. Unless they do actually go pay 2 win, then I'm outta there.

Fr]anc[is:
So I probably wont be able to play as a green human, a blue human, grey human, or a human with bits of metal taped to their face. I can live with that.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between an operation and a flashpoint is? There's so many silly names for everything, is any of it single player stuff?

It's strange that they are adding a 4th kind of currency. From what little I've seen in the free trial, there's regular money, social points, and commendations. Social points cover the Leia bikini and things like that as far as I know, so why don't they just sell those?

Assuming your familiar with WoW terminology, operations are Raids, and flashpoints are Heroics.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this, hopefully the warzone limit is reasonably high, and not something insulting like 5 per week. Huttball is really the only reason i would go back to that game. The only other one i see on there that I potentiall have an issue with is limited access to the fast travel system. Depending on what they mean by that could be very very bad. TOR's environments are massive with loads and loads of empty space between the actual usefull areas on any given planet. Any meaningful restriction on using the games transportation system is going ot significantly degrade the leveling grind. Even more than it already was.

Marshall Honorof:
While free players will have access to each class's full storyline all the way up to Level 50, options such as race, warzones (PVP arenas), flashpoints (group dungeons), and space missions will be restricted - although not unavailable - for them.

Hmm...I might try it, then. I hate what they've done to the KotOR lore (especially KotOR II), but I always enjoyed those games' gameplay. This pretty much says they'll let me have everything I want (basically the single-player stuff) and just lock out or limit everything I don't want. Hell...could you lock out my ability to see other players in-game period? I'd rather they just not even be there.

OniaPL:

But League of Legends is pay to win.

PercyBoleyn:

OniaPL:

If League of Legends is pay to win then Dragon Age 2 didn't suck and was the sequel Origin deserved.

And we both know that is not the case.
League of Legends is not anywhere near pay to win. It has one of the best and most fair microtransaction systems (even while I think that many champ are too costy).

OniaPL:
snip

You're not actually serious are you?

PercyBoleyn:

OniaPL:
snip

PercyBoleyn:

OniaPL:
snip

Serious as a bag of potatoes.

Please explain your reasoning to why it sucks.

OniaPL:

Yeah I'm not going to get baited. Have a good one.

neonit:
is it me or does it seems like "singleplayer is free, mmo you have to pay for"? because that sounds AWESOME.

I'm with you on that one. Too bad you can still SEE other people with their stupid non-RP names (DarthVadorrr, LeiaBewbs, MalRenalds, things like that).

The real problem with MMOs is the MM part.

Are EA participating in these London2012 OL? Cuz if they do then they deserve golden medal for breaking world record.

Under a year... good job!

Ha! Crash and burn, Bioware! Crash and burn, you soulless incompetent fuckheads. Muahahahahaaaa!

PercyBoleyn:

OniaPL:

I was unaware that buyin heroes with real money that can be earned in game counted as pay to win. At best it is pay to get there faster. If you happen to like to play a one of the cheaper people then you're set after the first few matches. After that the only thing money buys you is cosmetic looks for your character.

PercyBoleyn:

OniaPL:

Yeah I'm not going to get baited. Have a good one.

So you mean that you want any reason to hate the game but can't validate your hatred.
Man, I don't even like the game and can see that you're just being silly.

hazabaza1:
So you mean that you want any reason to hate the game but can't validate your hatred.

Nice strawman.

shintakie10:

I was unaware that buyin heroes with real money that can be earned in game counted as pay to win. At best it is pay to get there faster. If you happen to like to play a one of the cheaper people then you're set after the first few matches. After that the only thing money buys you is cosmetic looks for your character.

I'm sorry but I do not engage furries in debates. Suffice to say, monetizing heroes is one of the reasons why League of Legends is generally considered a terrible ARTS.

PercyBoleyn:

hazabaza1:

Nice strawman.

Well then, please explain your point so I can correct my grievous error.

Good news for all of us who love the game single-player or co-op with a friend or two... but hate MMOs in general.

hazabaza1:

That's a red herring. If you want to engage in a reasonable discussion please stop using fallacies.

PercyBoleyn:

hazabaza1:

That's a red herring. If you want to engage in a reasonable discussion please stop using fallacies.

Well excuse me for wanting an explanation when not being provided one.

well I guess it's time to pick it up for a month before GW2 comes out. Or should I not even bother? I have a ton of other games that need playing too....

Pulling the Star Trek Online, I guess. More free stuff to play around with.

hazabaza1:

Sorry but I'm not going to entertain your charade any longer. Good day.

hazabaza1:

PercyBoleyn:

hazabaza1:

I'm about 95% certain he's just trollin. Report it and move on like I did.

So the only remotely interesting part, the singleplayer stories, are free, while the generic and grind-tastic space combat, pvp and auction juggling are the parts they lock you out of.

Only EA could design a free to play model where the stick is the carrot and the carrot is the stick. A more pointless subscription system has not existed since Hellgate London.

survivor686:

It also looks like its Pay to Enjoy. No access to dungeons or warzones unless you cough up the dough.

So everytime I want in, I have to pay? Or is it a one time payment?

You get a huge flashing popup after every boss, reading "INSERT COIN" in flashing golden letters.

On a more serious note though, according to the handy chart from the news post, you get "limited weekly access". So you don't need to pay if you want to see the flashpoints for their story. If you want to grind some gear you'd have to pay though.
I guess it's gonna be something like a 3-day access pass.

Well, that was the last EA game I had.

After I saw their SW:TOR feature comparison chart, I had a popup in my head, reminding me about recent news of EA claiming that micro transactions are the future. Shortly followed by the memory of that recording in which Richitello talks about the idea of making us pay for ammunition.

This has never been this easy before.

Sub cancelled, game uninstalled, case closed.

Draconalis:
Took less than a year...

Is that some kind of record?

I think that APB still holds that record.

That game went F2P in the same year. From summer to winter.

SWTOR Expansion to Free-to-Play Option - Frequently Asked Questions:
If you are a player that wants unrestricted access, it is unlikely the Free-to-Play option will be appealing.

Sounds like the last minute subscription is a cash grab.

For those like me who average about 6 - 8 hours a week for gaming, this is awesome, more so if you can purchase access to area's you wish to visit as you get to them.

For those that spend say 25+ hours a week gaming, a subscription may very well end out a better alternative if they choose to stick around for a few months then head off towards the next big thing.

Honestly wish more games would take a similar approach, allowing subscription to cover access to the entire game and allowing f2p players the ability to purchase what they wish of the game.

Al.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or