DayZ Breaks Out of ArmA II

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DayZ Breaks Out of ArmA II

The standalone version of DayZ will follow a "Minecraft development model."

As a relatively new add-on for military simulation game ArmA II, the DayZ mod has gained a lot of steam since its alpha release a few months ago. The open nature of the zombie-infested world, combined with a focus on survival, has made it a hit with over a million players so far. Now on the heels of that milestone, announced recently over Twitter, the development team has more good news for its fans; DayZ is officially going to be turned into a standalone game. The mod's creator, Dean "Rocket" Hall, called the news a "fairy-tale outcome" for the mod.

The game's developer and publisher is none other than ArmA II developer Bohemia Interactive, with Hall leading the project. It will be released using a "Minecraft development model," according to Hall, who specifically cited releasing frequent updates and making an alpha version of the game available for a discounted price. Hall had contemplated this pricing structure earlier, when he first discussed turning the mod into a standalone game.

This game's development doesn't mean instant abandonment of the mod itself, though - the DayZ mod will still be updated "in parallel with the development of the game," according to Hall. Whether the mod will keep up with the game after it comes out, or whether the limitations of the ArmA II engine will hold it back, still remains to be seen. Other information, like the release date and price, should be revealed over the next few weeks.

Source: DayZ Dev via Eurogamer

Well it seems like this zombie game...

*Puts on glasses*

Just got a new lease of life...

Nah, that was rubbish. Anyway, as one of the people that hadn't actually played the game or Arma II, I look forward to this, hopefully a new engine will appeal to graphics whores like me, at least in comparison anyway.

Well I'm excited, really wanted to play DayZ but just couldn't get past how horrible it looked.

JokerboyJordan:
Nah, that was rubbish. Anyway, as one of the people that hadn't actually played the game or Arma II, I look forward to this, hopefully a new engine will appeal to graphics whores like me, at least in comparison anyway.

It will most likely still use the same engine. Since its being created by the same company that did Arma there is really no reason for them to use a different engine.

Still not going to even give it a chance until pvp only is off the table. I want to at least try it, but screw pvp. I can deal with broken unpolished games, I can't deal with the constant thought that some random asshat can snipe me for no reason. Don't tell me that's the point, the point is to have fun, and I don't find that fun.

Edit: herpa derp quoted myself

when did he arma 2 engine look "bad"? max that engine out and it hangs out with crysis looks wise, it even looks more real than crysis sometimes, so i duuno what is wrong with the graphics of dayz exactly.

I know this is wishful thinking, but any chance we could have this on consoles as well. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?!

I now await being struck down with screams of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" by PC players.

Yay i'll finally be able to play arma 2 without dayz clogging up my server browser!
I also hope that the cod crowd who whine about the fact that they suck and don't know how to play the game will stop asking rocket to dumb it down

Andy Shandy:
I know this is wishful thinking, but any chance we could have this on consoles as well. Pleeeeeeeeeeeease?!

I now await being struck down with screams of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" by PC players.

Why would we want to deny people the chance to play the game based on our system preference? I didn't see many Minecraft players going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when the 360 version was released.

Terrible User Interface, poor user functionality and inputs. Build a great game on a terrible one and you aren't going to get much of a better one.

I am sad they are going with Bohemia, ARMA 2 is a terrible bug ridden game with some of the worst AI I have ever seen.

I guess I will be waiting for WarZ.

Andy Shandy:

Day Z, Day Z,
Give me your answer do,
I'm half brain dead,
Since being bit by you.

Soviet Heavy:

Andy Shandy:

Why would we want to deny people the chance to play the game based on our system preference? I didn't see many Minecraft players going "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when the 360 version was released.

It's just something I've seen on a few forums, where people don't like other platforms having their games. It's daft, but it happens.

DVS BSTrD:

Andy Shandy:

Day Z, Day Z,
Give me your answer do,
I'm half brain dead,
Since being bit by you.

Fantastic.

Oh fuck yeah!

I've put over 250 hours into DayZ already and I've probably died to bugs more than anything else, so a new engine will be awesome :)

Fr]anc[is:
Still not going to even give it a chance until pvp only is off the table. I can deal with broken unpolished games, I can't deal with the constant thought that some random asshat can snipe me for no reason. Don't tell me that's the point, the point is to have fun, and I don't find that fun.

actually it's not meant to be fun it's meant to be a survival simulator where survival is the goal not fun, adapt or die.

Unlike some people I don't think a console port is completely out of the question. I've seen a lot of videos and while the game is good-looking, it doesn't seem so graphically intensive that there's just no way any console can run it. Both the game world and enemy A.I. are very simplistic. Par back the graphics a bit and maybe lower the player count and it could be done.

rolfwesselius:
actually it's not meant to be fun

If you're not having any sort of fun at all while playing your video games there is something wrong with you

JokerboyJordan:
I look forward to this, hopefully a new engine will appeal to graphics whores like me, at least in comparison anyway.

lRookiel:
Oh fuck yeah!

I've put over 250 hours into DayZ already and I've probably died to bugs more than anything else, so a new engine will be awesome :)

They never said it was getting a new engine, just that it was going standalone. Typically, this means the same engine, just look at Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Killing Floor... Especially if it's being published by the same company, it's a safe bet it'll use the same engine, just without the requirement of having the original.

The obvious advantage of this is that installation and updates should be significantly easier if it's a standalone. I'm hoping that being standalone will also give them a bit more control over the engine and lead to more bugfixes, but I can't say for sure since I don't really know enough about the Arma II engine. If nothing else, monetizing it should have a positive impact since it means more incentive and budget to solve issues.

P.S. Thanks

If only they could do DayZ gameplay with the STALKER engine....

Fr]anc[is:

rolfwesselius:

If you're not having any sort of fun at all while playing your video games there is something wrong with you

I have allot of fun in day z it's just not meant to be fun.
Its meant to be grueling, hard, unforgiving, downright cruel and that is why i love it.

:D

I was expecting them to make Day Z the "nazi zombie" mode of Arma 3, I didn't expect them to make it's own game though!

Can someone tell me what DayZ is actually like? I would have found out by now but im having enough issues getting used to the vanilla game before moving on to a modded version.

I wonder if all those people who bought Arma2 just to play DayZ will get some sort of discount.

No, I don't really expect them to do that but I hope they at least acknowledge that fact and maybe throw them some sort of bone.

Suki_:

JokerboyJordan:

It will most likely still use the same engine. Since its being created by the same company that did Arma there is really no reason for them to use a different engine.

I'm guessing that they'll be able to run it on ArmA 3's engine now that they are directly collaborating under Bohemia, they previously stated that they would likely release the mod for ArmA 3 as it would apparently be quite easy. So now just porting the whole game to ArmA 3's engine and perhaps keeping the Chernarus setting should do the trick for me.

talking about an outbreak...

I just hope that they add more "endgame" type stuff, more incentive to co-operate, and more lootable buildings/villages. I had great fun with the game for about a week until I realised that as soon as I looted Elektro or Cherno I was pretty much set and there wasn't a whole lot else for me to do. Since I dont have any friends that play the game, building vehicles or raiding the airfield are not really realistic goals for me ( I've never even seen a vehicle that I can repair either) and the game lost a lot of its appeal to me once I realized that I just perpetually loot a city and kill everything on site because they would kill me otherwise.

cerebus23:
when did he arma 2 engine look "bad"? max that engine out and it hangs out with crysis looks wise, it even looks more real than crysis sometimes, so i duuno what is wrong with the graphics of dayz exactly.

I personally think the animations and the AI are terrible, but the graphics are pretty decent (not that graphics matter).

NLS:
I'm guessing that they'll be able to run it on ArmA 3's engine now that they are directly collaborating under Bohemia, they previously stated that they would likely release the mod for ArmA 3 as it would apparently be quite easy. So now just porting the whole game to ArmA 3's engine and perhaps keeping the Chernarus setting should do the trick for me.

Well you just had to go and point out that I was making a fool of myself did you. I dont really pay attention to PC games and didnt even know there was an Arma 3 or what arma is for that matter. You are right it would make sense for them to use the latest version of the engine for this game.

rolfwesselius:

Fr]anc[is:

rolfwesselius:

I have allot of fun in day z it's just not meant to be fun.
Its meant to be grueling, hard, unforgiving, downright cruel and that is why i love it.

You mean it's a different kind of fun? Some people (like myself) don't have fun playing difficult survival games, but some people do.

I like lazy fun, like SSP Minecraft or other relaxing games.

Soviet Heavy:

Andy Shandy:

Were you on the official Minecraft forums when that announcement was made? Was hilarious how many just insane reactions people were having at the idea that it would be over on Xbox.

Will the ArmA engine hold back DayZ? I don't think this guy realizes how versatile the engine is. Because ArmA is based on military simulator tech, it is very easy to create VERY different things with. sure in the context of entertainment it could be seen as clunky, but what I've seen from ArmA 3, they've tightened the HELL out of it.

Andy Shandy:

I'd love it if that happened, since my computer can't run Arma 2, since its so poorly optimized.

OT: Way to go guys, now, lets hope your community gets a little nicer...

Andy Shandy:

If you ever played Day Z, you'd know that a console release is impossible. This isn't even a matter of preferring the mouse to the analog stick (though the mouse IS superior ;P), this a matter of it being literally impossible to cram all the controls necessary for Day Z into a controller's limited button count.

Fr]anc[is:

rolfwesselius:

What he means is that it isn't meant to be "fun" in the traditional sense. Obviously I wouldn't play Day Z if I wasn't having fun playing it, but it's a very niche-appeal kind of fun. Not everybody is going to get it.

Covarr:

They never said it was getting a new engine, just that it was going standalone. Typically, this means the same engine, just look at Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Killing Floor... Especially if it's being published by the same company, it's a safe bet it'll use the same engine, just without the requirement of having the original.

The obvious advantage of this is that installation and updates should be significantly easier if it's a standalone. I'm hoping that being standalone will also give them a bit more control over the engine and lead to more bugfixes, but I can't say for sure since I don't really know enough about the Arma II engine. If nothing else, monetizing it should have a positive impact since it means more incentive and budget to solve issues.

P.S. Thanks

Actually, they did. Several times. At least, it will be using a different engine then they are using now, it will be using the ARMA III Engine, just like ARMA III obviously. I don't say this will actually fix anything of course, but we could assume it will probably not be any worse either.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here