Black Ops II Trailer Shows Off the Future of Weaponry

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Black Ops II Trailer Shows Off the Future of Weaponry

A new Call of Duty: Black Ops II video reveals multiplayer gameplay.

In the year 2025, the United States of America is engrossed in a Cold War with China. At least, that's the future imagined by Call of Duty: Black Ops II, which takes the long-running shooter series into the next decade. In addition to giving gamers the first look at Black Ops II's multiplayer, the new trailer also shows off the game's futuristic weapons.

Players in the video make frequent use of high-tech guns, as well as some sort of electronic grenade. Stealth bombers and shields with shooting holes also make their first appearances, which should add even more variety to the game's multiplayer options.

Also of note are the loadout display screens plastered on the scenery, shown in a few places throughout the trailer. In previous games, these were used when players were customizing their characters, though it's not clear if this is a new feature for Black Ops II or something created specifically for the video.

Gamers won't have to wait until 2025 to get their hands on these futuristic weapons; Call of Duty: Black Ops II will be released on November 13 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

1: Treyarch, you need to get out on a range and record some actual weapons fire for your gun sounds. Even with my surround sound, these all sound terrible.
2: While it looks better than MW2/3, you guys really need a new engine. This looks like (and has the physics of) something that Frostbite 2, CryEngine 3 and the Halo 4 engine left in the toilet this morning.
3: Good god, gimmicks and hand-holding items GALORE. I thought we played the Treyarch CoDs because they weren't the gimmicky CoDs?

Also, first.

I honestly think it looks pretty great. Much better than MW3. Really love the future aesthetic.

Now to get ready for the tidal wave of hate this article is about to receive.

Never been a big fan of the series, and don't plan to be. I Loved CoD 4, but lost interest after modern warfare 2 .I know some people out there are probably drooling over this trailer. but this just isn't my cup of tea anymore.

Captcha: easy as pie.

Black Ops. Cold War. China. Modern/Near future setting.

Is it actually hard to come up with new ideas? Let me try!

Spies discover the U.S. has been covertly attempting to influence Canadian policy, in the hopes of one day culturally annexing the nation. Canada has plans to release this information to the world. American special forces team is sent in to kill the politicians in the know and to set up Canadian Prime Minster. World thinks Canada instigates a war with the U.S. Fighting ensues on the border.

Pick your country and play out the campaign.

DONE.

A few cool things in there, but nothing that can entice me to play CoD again.

I think the only thing that will get me interested enough is Nazi Zombies.

Boudica:

Spies discover the U.S. has been covertly attempting to influence Canadian policy, in the hopes of one day culturally annexing the nation. Canada has plans to release this information to the world. American special forces team is sent in to kill the politicians in the know and to set up Canadian Prime Minster. World thinks Canada instigates a war with the U.S. Fighting ensues on the border.

DONE.

This is a multiplayer trailer...

Boudica:

DONE.

I thought nobody cared about Canada?

CardinalPiggles:
A few cool things in there, but nothing that can entice me to play CoD again.

I think the only thing that will get me interested enough is Nazi Zombies.

Boudica:

DONE.

This is a multiplayer trailer...

A multiplayer trailer for a game set in a cold war with Chi- Oh I can't even finish the sentence it's so bland and cliche. Cold war? Chinese bad guys? Modern military shooter with gadgets? Revo-fucking-lution lol.

Bring on the American-Canadian war! Or maybe Australia decides they want New Zealand... By force!

WanderingFool:

Boudica:

DONE.

Careful. You might wake up with an ice skate on your pillow one day. The Canadian mob is everywhere. Aye.

Well at least it has color now.

Boudica:

WanderingFool:

Boudica:

DONE.

Careful. You might wake up with an ice skate on your pillow one day. The Canadian mob is everywhere. Aye.

Psshh...

They need to stand in line... I got the slovak mob leaving turnips on my pellow and the chinese mob with fortune cookies in my sock drawer.

I dont even know what they want, they just keep leaving shit in my house.

WanderingFool:

Boudica:

WanderingFool:

Psshh...

They need to stand in line... I got the slovak mob leaving turnips on my pellow and the chinese mob with fortune cookies in my sock drawer.

That last line made me lol. It's like 04:30, too >_>

Well I'm starting to like it more and more, and gasp, might actually be excited about this come release, which I didn't think would be possible.

Oh come on, have some imagination. FUTURE WEAPONS... including revolvers throwing knives, c4 charges with more buttons on it, grenades with blue particle effects instead of dust ones and redesigns of existing game robots. If you're going to have a future set shooter at least come up with some interesting sci-fi or at least new looking design ideas. The only thing that jumped out at me was them making the flash grenade into a deployable stereo system.

Norix596:
Oh come on, have some imagination. FUTURE WEAPONS... including revolvers throwing knives, c4 charges with more buttons on it, grenades with blue particle effects instead of dust ones and redesigns of existing game robots. If you're going to have a future set shooter at least come up with some interesting sci-fi or at least new looking design ideas. The only thing that jumped out at me was them making the flash grenade into a deployable stereo system.

And what would you suggest? Lasers and Plasma? Those are just as unimaginative.

Well I cant really say anything bad about it. It looks like it will be decent enough but the trailer didnt really show enough detail for me to judge it. I imagine it will be a pretty good game since it is cod after all.

Norix596:

Well they did add in the UAVs from MGS2.

WanderingFool:

Psshh...

Oh you wont have to worry about them much longer. We will take them out before we deal with you.

This is laughable. But, one the other hand, the future of warfare would not make a very interesting game. The OICW (Objective Infantry Combat Weapon) project has already produced a vastly superior infantry weapon to these back in 2005, though at a prohibitive cost. Still, if we extrapolate out from today, by 2025 the OICW -in its full capacity- would be cheap enough to mass-produce. And, it would also likely be made in China.

Sarah LeBoeuf:
Also of note are the loadout display screens plastered on the scenery, shown in a few places throughout the trailer. In previous games, these were used when players were customizing their characters, though it's not clear if this is a new feature for Black Ops II or something created specifically for the video.

I'm 99.9% sure that it's just for the trailer. The last few CoD multiplayer trailers (or maybe just MW3, I can't recall in great detail the others) had class loadouts show up in the trailers, and this isn't much different.

So is this prequel to Fallout?
Because from story pov it really looks like.

Wait.... is there something vaguely resembling colour in this trailer?...

Nope, sorry, my mistake.

...How is this a squeal to the one set in the 60's?

Man that was seriously underwhelming. For all the new dressing it is the same game we have been getting for a couple years. Which is unfortunate because I really was a fan of the series but it has honestly just fizzled out for me.

For all the stuff they claim to be doing different on the single player side this multiplayer trailer just makes it looks like that is going to be a bunch of window dressing for yet another incredibly short experience. It almost immediately got on my bad side in the first trailer simply because it did that Homefront thing of throwing out complete bullshit and then pretending its not completely ridiculous.

Homefront: Yep, it is "terrifyingly plausible" that the North Koreans would suddenly develop such world class political skills to be able to conquer all the other nations without anyone else in the world pitching a fit. Also IRRADIATING THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY.

Black Ops 2: "Whole Robotic Armies... but no one asked what would happen if someone stole the keys..." Of course they wouldn't ask that because no one would be so god damn stupid to leave them so vulnerable and apparently all of them at once.

They may both very well be enjoyable games, but that sort of stuff rubs me the wrong way.

The one interesting aspect of the trailer was the bit at the end. If they included a way to create in game commentaries within the spectator/theater that would be pretty cool.

vrbtny:
Wait.... is there something vaguely resembling colour in this trailer?...

Nope, sorry, my mistake.

Actually I thought the first few seconds with the windmills were pretty promising. And after that it was brown all over the place.

Yeah no it doesn't warm me up either. The guns look slightly different but I don't think they actually do something different. I appreciate the fact that they want to visit a new setting but they seem to barely make use of it.

Hoplon:
...How is this a squeal to the one set in the 60's?

Various returning characters. The main character is Mason's son, and you control Mason in various flash backs. Also Frank Woods is still alive.

It's just like how Black Ops was a sequel to World at War.

WanderingFool:

Norix596:

It would at least /imply/ future. Obviously it's supposed to be near future so we can't expect Mass Effect, but it hardly looks futuristic at all, the only thing there that wasn't really in MW, was the Microwave thing. Which we already have, so it's hardly futuristic. It looks almost exactly the same as MW except for some "futuristic" scopes, which are again, just reskinned red dot sights.

Watched about five seconds of the trailer and then turned it off for two reason:

1) I've never really cared about multiplayer in Call of Duty. I like the games for the campaigns. The only multiplayer I enjoyed was Modern Warfare 2's. Now, if they release a Nazi Zombie trailer, I will watch that for hours. That's what I'm most excited about.

2) Just realized my brother took the speakers to the computer so he could have them for a project. No sound. Oops.

Looks different enough for me, about time they had a sequel to COD4...

Fuck the haters.

elvor0:

WanderingFool:

Norix596:

It would at least /imply/ future. Obviously it's supposed to be near future so we can't expect Mass Effect, but it hardly looks futuristic at all, the only thing there that wasn't really in MW, was the Microwave thing. Which we already have, so it's hardly futuristic. It looks almost exactly the same as MW except for some "futuristic" scopes, which are again, just reskinned red dot sights.

Remember, that's just 12 years ahead, not 120. We won't have lazerguns until then, we still use ballistic weapons. Ballistic weapons in development RIGHT NOW.
But yeah, people only see future as "Halo" and then want lazerrifles - even if that time-period simply can't have it.

I was mildly interested in this game before I saw this trailer. Unfortunately it looks like same old CoD with some different gun skins and even more ridiculous gadgets to ruin the balance and all sense of fair play.

Bindal:

elvor0:

WanderingFool:

Remember, that's just 12 years ahead, not 120. We won't have lazerguns until then, we still use ballistic weapons. Ballistic weapons in development RIGHT NOW.
But yeah, people only see future as "Halo" and then want lazerrifles - even if that time-period simply can't have it.

I think that expecting some interesting futuristic tech that is beyond slight variations of modern weapons isn't asking for too much when we have articles like these popping up all the time:

http://www.gizmag.com/medusa-microwave-crowd-control-raygun/9605/
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2009/05/29/judge-dredd-weapon-is-armys-newest-device/

No laser guns?

I am disappoint

elvor0:

WanderingFool:

Norix596:

Yes, laser and such would imply future. But how futuristic are we talking here? This isnt 150 years into the future, this is about 13 years (2025). I doubt we are going to make an major jumps in weapon technology, save for maybe robotics and smart munitions. We will probably still be using the same old bullets as we do now, and as we did a for more than a century.

To much "future" would be just as disconnecting as the "lack" of future we are seeing in Blops 2 now.

Of course, maybe lasers and such in 13 years isnt all that disconnecting. People believed we would having flying cars and such in by 2000... and that was in the 60's...

Boudica:

Its not actually a Cold War with China. While the nationality of the main villain hasn't been revealed yet, his appearance suggests European/Russian. He uses the frustration and anger built up around the world in the "99%" (IE: The poor and downtrodden) to incite violence and terrorist attacks around the world, but mainly focused on the US since the US is viewed as the "source and breeding ground of the problem".

He uses stolen and exploited US technology to launch these attacks without actually having to be "based" anywhere or build up forces of his own - the whole "He doesn't need his own weapons; he's got ours." thing from the villain trailer a little while ago.

I'll rent it. Honestly, I don't normally buy these because the single player tends to fall on its face, and the only way multiplayer could entice that much out of me, is by being faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantaastic.

Boudica:

DONE.

THat's actually a really good idea. Especially if the single player campaign forced you to play as the US side first and played it out as a standard "Lone team of elite soldiers take down entire platoons while ignoring everything in the Geneva convention and yet not getting punished for it" scthick that has become a staple of all these brown military shooters lately, only to find out at the end that UH OH! This time, YOU WERE THE BAD GUY. Well, the badDER guys, on account of that whole Geneva convention thing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here