Steam Expands Library to Non-Game Software

Pages PREV 1 2

Tenmar:
Yo, I heard you like having DRM on your DRM and waiving your right to class action lawsuits on waiving your right to class action lawsuit. On Steam we got all that right here and more.

That would be a valid argument if there was ever any kind of circumstance under which I would even halfway consider suing valve. As it stands, Gabe Newell could walk into my house and take a dump on my carpet, and I'd still kiss the ground he walked on for bringing me an entire library of games for the cash between the sofa cushions. I'd rather give away my right to sue a company that does everything right than hold onto that right and buy from a company that does everything wrong.

Sure is a lot of DRM going unnoticed lately.

Greg Tito:
"We need to buy our software in boxes at a store!" publishers cried back in 1998.

I hate to be picky, or maybe i'm reading this wrongly, but shouldn't that be "We need to sell our software ..."? - Unless publishers buy their own software for some reason.

OT: I can see this being useful for some users, but all users at this point in time have signed up for Steam specifically for games, game tools and the community that surrounds them, so people wanting to buy things like Sony Vegas from Steam are probably in the minority.

mad825:
Lol, funny. He's making his own Win8.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Valve doesn't like the idea of an OS that comes with a store where you can buy all your games, software and what not in one place. So what do they do? Expand their service to do the exact same thing.

I don't like it.

Just calling it now.

To all the people who say this is dumb/silly/stupid, you really didn't pay attention to the article where a lot of people said it was dumb/silly/stupid to distribute games this way. If Valve does this the way they do games, then you'll all be very very wrong.

Valve: We think people should be able to purchase their production software on Steam.
Adobe: Are you on crack, or something?

We can only speculate what kind of software will be available, but if steam can improve their cloud service for this addition, then I don't really have anything against it.

New Steam service: Steamy--Adult Videos.

"Oh boy, the whole Barely 18 series for $100!"

Think of the sales! And the shame.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

mad825:
Lol, funny. He's making his own Win8.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Valve doesn't like the idea of an OS that comes with a store where you can buy all your games, software and what not in one place. So what do they do? Expand their service to do the exact same thing.

I don't like it.

I'm guessing the fact that they don't like an OS that comes with a store is because it would be a rival. Valve wants steam to be THE store for getting your games digitally. (And now also your everything else, now not being able to log in while offline will really be fun. Sorry son, you need an internet connection to open word.) A certain integrated store for games in a certain unnamed OS, could shake the status quo.

Boudica:
New Steam service: Steamy--Adult Videos.

"Oh boy, the whole Barely 18 series for $100!"

Think of the sales! And the shame.

Then all they need is jump on the facebook integration bandwagon. Share your videos with your social circle! Gain acheivements by lasting longers than your friends!

Horrible fucking idea, sadly with the size of Steams installer base it has no chance of failure.
Let's just hope enough software companies stay away from double dipping DRM, and cumbersome non stop crashing third party clients that take longer to start then my fucking OS.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here