Dark Souls Port Brings Console Problems to PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Not really complaining. Happy they did it for us at all :)

also, hilarious comment on f/b

Doesn't matter, We will all die anyway...

getoffmycloud:
I think it uses steam now they changed it after the outcry.

Nope

Read the bottom of "System requirements".

Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE

Zachary Amaranth:
Oh my God. Can PC gamers even ENJOY the game now?

This, so much this. Seriously guys, just enjoy the game. Personally, I don't care about PC version because I'll be getting it on console, right after I finally beat Demon's Souls (I got bored looking for resources to build my White Long(or was it Sticky? I don't remember) Bow +5 and refusing to continue with the storyline until I get it).

Scars Unseen:
Now that Way of the Samurai 4 has a definite(and imminent) release date, that's pretty much where my next game purchase is going.

WotS4 is finally being released outside Japan?! Awesome! Thanks, you made my day with that info.

About 5 people complain about problems most everyone says they will get the game anyway. Escapist bitches at PC gamers and others say they are ashamed why am I not surprised by this?

Well, that's what they said they would do, and I would get it, if not for GFWL. I HAAATE GFWL. Although I will probably get it anyway. I love Dark Souls too much.

BiH-Kira:

A game that will run in 1024x720 on 30 FPS...

If you don't want to buy the game, I completely understand. But it will run at 1920X1080, the texture quality is, however, 1024x720. The difference between what you are saying and reality is rather huge. I just like to stifle the spread of misinformation.

Tiny resolution, bad frame-rate and the cardinal sin of GFWL? Well, there went all the fucks I gave. I missed Demon's Souls and survived, I think I'll be able to soldier on without this one too.

I can spend 40 bucks on a shoddy port shat out for some extra bucks, or I can spend it on something better. Like Dishonored, or Sleeping Dogs, or like, ten indie games.

Baresark:

BiH-Kira:

If you don't want to buy the game, I completely understand. But it will run at 1920X1080, the texture quality is, however, 1024x720. The difference between what you are saying and reality is rather huge. I just like to stifle the spread of misinformation.

The article states "On close inspection, it appears that Dark Souls PC uses the very same 1024x720 internal framebuffer as the console versions, regardless of which resolution has been set in the menus."

This means the game is rendering each frame into a 1024x720 array of pixel colours. If you run it at 1920x1080 it will be an interpolated (read: upscaled) version of this buffer. So you're playing on a 720p image blown up to 1080p.

Baresark:

BiH-Kira:

You will be able to change the resolution, but it will be just an upscale of the native 1024x720. Changing the resolution won't affect the clarity of the game or anything. It will look completely the same.

The only thing that the ability to change the resolution will do is add support for different kinds of monitors (different aspect rations).

I obviously didn't make it clear in my post and thank you for point it out.

Garrett:

Scars Unseen:
Now that Way of the Samurai 4 has a definite(and imminent) release date, that's pretty much where my next game purchase is going.

WotS4 is finally being released outside Japan?! Awesome! Thanks, you made my day with that info.

This month for North America and October for Europe. It's going to be a digital release over PSN. It seems that there are either legal or licensing reasons why they can't do a physical retail release, and apparently they also can't tell us what those reasons are. It was digital or nothing, and they chose digital.

lol, people won't buy a game because it's capped at 30 fps (a perfectly playable framerate as long as it's stable) and will look like a console game? I admit it sucks that they aren't taking advantage of the PC's capabilities but... do you people actually play games for the gameplay? Or do you just like to look at nice graphics?

1024 x 720! Holy carp! Alright video card I guess it's time to work that magic that you do and force all your fun settings on this puppy. Hopefully it won't drop me any lower than the 30 FPS, yeesh.

Captcha: Ace of Spades - Motorhead! Yeeaaaah \nn/

Wtf did PC gamers expect from a company that's never ported games to a PC before? Seriously it's not even worse than the console version...

Should have seen this coming.

I'm still getting it, except I'm gonna wait a bit and see if it's as glitchy as all hell.

lacktheknack:

I'm still getting it, except I'm gonna wait a bit and see if it's as glitchy as all hell.

If its exactly like the console version (like From seems to be saying), 95% of the problems will be bearable lag in blighttown. It isnt that bad either.

Only other problem I had was summoning someone and lag just hitting me hard, but that aint the games fault.

thethird0611:

lacktheknack:

If its exactly like the console version (like From seems to be saying), 95% of the problems will be bearable lag in blighttown. It isnt that bad either.

Only other problem I had was summoning someone and lag just hitting me hard, but that aint the games fault.

It's literally impossible to make the game "exactly" like the console version, unless you're playing on the console's hardware.

...Which we aren't. And that's where the hardware glitches invade.

lacktheknack:

thethird0611:

lacktheknack:

It's literally impossible to make the game "exactly" like the console version, unless you're playing on the console's hardware.

Well, true, hopefully they fix all those port bugs then, especially if they arent changing to much. Would love the PC version to be good. Damn great game.

I'd recommend just trying a demo of sorts out before giving up on it and see for yourself if the performance is deal-breaking

As someone who played and loved the console version, I also really fucking hate bad console ports onto PC.
I think that both I and anyone else who is planning to one day get this on PC would much rather FromSoft took longer to make it better suited, and not rush it.

ajapam:
lol, people won't buy a game because it's capped at 30 fps (a perfectly playable framerate as long as it's stable) and will look like a console game? I admit it sucks that they aren't taking advantage of the PC's capabilities but... do you people actually play games for the gameplay? Or do you just like to look at nice graphics?

Son 5 minutes playing bf3 on ps3 locked at 30 frames per second revealed to me the horror you console users experience daily, it also revealed that 30 fps is in no way perfectly playable.

Sorry, I fail to see the problem people have. It's the same game as on consoles. With DLC thrown in for free. For a reduced price.

Oh no, you don't get the same product for less money. You poor things.

30 FPS is pretty bad

I played the shit out of this on Xbox, not really interested in buying it for my PC

lacktheknack:

thethird0611:

lacktheknack:

Whether intentional or not, you kind of created a pun there.

Whoever buys the PC port for Dark Souls, there needs to be 1 person out there who creates a character named Hardware Glitches and rolls him as a Darkwraith. Greatest phantom ever.

Well I guess we will wait and see if the hacking/modding wizards can coax some life out of this one, otherwise it will be one hell of a rough ride.

I understand most of you don't see low framerate difference because you just don't care how it plays, but for those of us who do 30 FPS is really fucking horrid (plus random frame drops even below that), in a game that demands the top of your abilities that is possibly the worst thing to leave there.

First off, the game is not the same price. it's $10 USD more than the console version, more in some places. Second, how am I being entitled by wanting a valid pc port of a game that's a year old? Nearly every single game nowadays is a console port, and nearly every single one has customizable graphics settings and rebindable controls. This is just a half-assed port made to appease a fanbase. Good luck appeasing anyone with this. Either you do it all the way or you don't do it at all. If you couldn't port it then don't try. If you could port it, then why only go halfway? 30 fps. Ok fine, 30 fps is playable. But what about drops? if it drops just 5 fps suddenly it becomes very choppy. Drop 10 fps and you're getting close to the point that a lot of people will just stop playing. I would gladly pay $10 more for a well done port, but that's not what this is. I'll just get it for my console tyvm. They were even so lazy as to lock up their engine to 720p. If this port doesn't scream lazy to you, then I must be looking at the wrong game.

Zachary Amaranth:
Oh my God. Can PC gamers even ENJOY the game now?

if they can't then they need to pull the stick out of their asses and get over it :D

sides 'PC gamers' did ask for a port of a game, from a company that last i checked, doesn't really do PC games, if they where expecting perfection well, they can go back to Skyrim >.> oh wait ......

I hope some people who actually care about this game will make a community patch that fixes what the developers are too lazy to fix.
I guess I won't buy this game on release.

JuliusMagnus:
It's not a matter of holding out for a PC version. Unlike industry folk some of us only have one platform and not the money to own several platforms. True, the cost of one high-end PC could get you two or three consoles, but I can't earn a living with those. Regardless of reasons for getting the PC version, there might be some fan effort that succeeds where From Soft failed.

I'd say almost certainly if the tools are given to them, and a pretty strong maybe if the tools aren't given to them. That said, console games look like shit when you sit a couple of feet from them, this will look like shit on a 1080 monitor if there are no improvements to the graphics.

I'm not buying this though, because I never wanted it.

EDIT: Oh and the game gives your PC Syphilis? (AKA: GFWL) There is a very good reason I prefer CoH over DoW2, and it isn't gameplay...

bit dissapointed at some of the reactions about pc elitsm, i understand where they are coming from and altough i am a pc only gamer (financial reasons) i can see the fun and advantages of consoles and enjoy them when visiting friends. the 30 frames are really not a problem, but the resolution is a bit of a hitch, in the sense that on a tv the scaling and distance from the tv help alot but this may not be the case sitting close to the monitor.
I will evade this by hooking my pc up to the television but that kinda is working around the problem. what im trying to say is that when playing with a monitor you will not get the great experience as with the console version because the artstyle will be blurred out of existence.

Still glad that it's coming after it wasnt planned and i will play the heck out of it.

btw. never eeeever use car analogy's in gaming, it just doesnt work.

Well... I don't care if it looks like shit *twitching eye*, I'm more concerned about the FPS performance. I also don't care if it runs at 30 fps, if it's perfectly playable, with as less hitches and hiccups as possible, I'm ok with it.

Aeonknight:

lacktheknack:

thethird0611:

Whether intentional or not, you kind of created a pun there.

Whoever buys the PC port for Dark Souls, there needs to be 1 person out there who creates a character named Hardware Glitches and rolls him as a Darkwraith. Greatest phantom ever.

Done.

I wonder how many people I'll utterly freak out?

It's a shame that this port isn't getting the attention it deserves from the developers, it seems like a great game, and it'd be even better if they managed to iron out the kinks. I will get it regardless. I've been very interested in this game for a long time, and I have never even played it. I think I've seen it played(live) once, a friend of mine borrowed if of some dude.

There is one other thing though... Can't we ever stop acting like children? Gamers are gamers, regardless of the platform they choose. Why must we always resort to flinging crap at each other whenever a divide between platforms comes up? It wasn't fun in the Nintendo/Sega days, and it's only gotten worse. This is really ugly and pathetic. >_<

As a side note: It's funny how my spell-checker moans when I type Nintendo with a lower-case N, but doesn't give two sh*ts about how I type Sega.

Sweet, I can actually give the game a go now (a distinct lack of console made it difficult). My only wish is that they'd have put armoured core 5 on PC, but it is one of their lesser profiting games so I can understand it.

G32420NL:
bit dissapointed at some of the reactions about pc elitsm, i understand where they are coming from and altough i am a pc only gamer (financial reasons) i can see the fun and advantages of consoles and enjoy them when visiting friends. the 30 frames are really not a problem, but the resolution is a bit of a hitch, in the sense that on a tv the scaling and distance from the tv help alot but this may not be the case sitting close to the monitor.

Not only this, but I'm amazed people are unaware that (some) HD TV's are not just big computer monitors. They interpolate images when they framerate is lower than their prescribed framerate that gives the image more of an illusion of smoothness. It's called Motion Interpolation and it's a real thing, and is not present in PC monitors. There's a reason, besides distance, why 30FPS looks good on my TV, but looks choppy on my monitor.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here