Dark Souls Port Brings Console Problems to PC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Julius-Seizure:
And the backlash will have different effects based on how many copies are sold. If it's too few, "PC players obviously have no interest in our continued support for their platform". If it's enough, which is sadly unlikely, "PC players have high expectations, but are willing to pay for those expectations. We will continue to support their platform"

Pfffft. No. We're talking about PUBLISHERS here... specifically, the douchenozzles at Bandai Namco.

Too few sales will result in the all-too-predictable "PIRATES! PIRATES! PIRATES ARE WHY WE DON'T DO PC GAMES!" song and dance routine (which, unfortunately, still doesn't include the song "I am the Very Model of A Modern Software Publisher.")

Enough sales will result in "Hahaha... they'll still pay for copy-paste ports? MORE COPY-PASTE PORTS!"

DVS BSTrD:
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW poor PC gamers getting the same game as us console tards? image

This is what year of pent up bitterness look like, folks.

OT: Not to worried about the 30 FPS cap, tbh. Someone will probably find a way to fix it very soon after release.

If they don't, I probably won't play it, because I can't handle 30 FPS. I just can't play games that way anymore.

As for the other stuff, 720p is enough for me. Dark Souls was never about the graphics (from what I could tell anyway). The atmosphere will be present no matter if it's 1080 or 720.

Julius-Seizure:
If your game experience is ruined by the graphics not being as sharp as they could be, then, well... Uh... Arma has some pretty sharp graphics. You should check that out. Instead of, you know, hating on a developer with no previous PC experience for not making a good PC port.

If it's really that big of a deal to you, get it on PS3 or make a fan-patch or something productive like that. Or maybe take a walk, read a book, make a sandwich...

Except I didn't say the graphics make the game, or even implied it. I have zero interest in Arma2. I said shit graphics (and to reiterate for this case, the most basic display quality) can prevent one from enjoying a game. Personally, I've no shame in admitting it, and I don't see why anybody should.

You seem to be working under the assumption that From's inexperience with the PC prevents them from doing practically anything other than making their game run using Directx or OpenGl or whatever. Don't you think the deadline had more to do with this?

Don't have a PS3, nor do I have the inclination to do the developers' work for them. The fact of the matter is that this is below a standard that has been set - and improved - something like 8-10 years ago. Having a 40 dollar studio game be this sub-par - consciously - is inexcusable. And I don't exactly know why the fuck people have a problem with that being pointed out.

thesilentman:
Oh wow, let me search Google for that PC exclusives chart.

Hwup, found it: http://www.medievalfuture.com/tilt/images/ibkOmw.jpg

A nice,post, but it has nothing to do with my post. So, care to explain why you quoted me?

More OT

This isn't so much as question about graphics, but about principle.

I think that we all can agree that this is a ultra hardcore bad port. I didn't not say that the game is bad, but that the port is bad.
Buying the game would be rewarding the developer for giving me a bad port. I won't do that. I won't reward a lazy person. Or a person that doesn't deserve the reward. Maybe they did all they could, but that still isn't an excuse for missing the BASIC things that PC ports have. No limit on the frame rate, changeable resolution (which does shit), changing the controls... those are standards for over a decade. If they can't meat that, I can't give them my money.

Also, it's sad to see how low the standard for console gamer is. The gameplay can be the best thing since sliced bread, but that doesn't fix all the technical problems that the game has. Again, it's not about the graphics, it's about the principle. I won't reward someone for a broken product.

And they didn't have any experience isn't a excuse. Outsourcing is done on a regular basis in this day and age. It's cheap-ish, fast, practical and covers all the mistakes you would make. There is no excuse for not doing that if you admit not knowing to do PC ports. Whether is't FROM or Bandai who didn't think about it, I don't care. Buying the game is still rewarding a sloppy job.

And sending them a "it's okay to sell us a broken port" signal is the last thing I want to use. Every successful bad port is a message that they can lower the standard.

EDIT:
Another thing.
A petition is NOT demanding anything. A petition is there to show the developer interest in a product. But the developer needs to take into account the standard of those people who are signing a petition, because those people expect a product that will meat their standard.

EDIT2:
To make it clear, 30 FPS and lower resolutions CAN be fine for console games, but it's impossible bad for PC games.
Unlike you, I'm at best 1m away from my monitor. Even the tiniest mistakes are huge. Any fps drop is visible. While a drop from 60 to 50 isn't anything huge, a drop from 30 to 20, or even 25 is just unforgiving.

There is also the thing that most modern TV's smoother the picture out (usually blurring it, but still does the job) while PC monitors don't do that. But it could be just my imagination on the last part.

There is also the thing that I'm used to higher fps. But not only because of the smoother experience in the picture, but also because of the much more responsive controls. Once you get used to such responsive controls, getting back isn't something I would pay for.

BiH-Kira:

thesilentman:

A nice,post, but it has nothing to do with my post. So, care to explain why you quoted me?

More OT

I think that we all can agree that this is a ultra hardcore bad port. I didn't not say that the game is bad, but that the port is bad.
Buying the game would be rewarding the developer for giving me a bad port. I won't do that. I won't reward a lazy person. Or a person that doesn't deserve the reward. Maybe they did all they could, but that still isn't an excuse for missing the BASIC things that PC ports have. No limit on the frame rate, changeable resolution (which does shit), changing the controls... those are standards for over a decade. If they can't meat that, I can't give them my money.

Also, it's sad to see how low the standard for console gamer is. The gameplay can be the best thing since sliced bread, but that doesn't fix all the technical problems that the game has. Again, it's not about the graphics, it's about the principle. I won't reward someone for a broken product.

And they didn't have any experience isn't a excuse. Outsourcing is done on a regular basis in this day and age. It's cheap-ish, fast, practical and covers all the mistakes you would make. There is no excuse for not doing that if you admit not knowing to do PC ports. Whether is't FROM or Bandai who didn't think about it, I don't care. Buying the game is still rewarding a sloppy job.

And sending them a "it's okay to sell us a broken port" signal is the last thing I want to use. Every successful bad port is a message that they can lower the standard.

EDIT:
Another thing.
A petition is NOT demanding anything. A petition is there to show the developer interest in a product. But the developer needs to take into account the standard of those people who are signing a petition, because those people expect a product that will meat their standard.

EDIT2:
To make it clear, 30 FPS and lower resolutions CAN be fine for console games, but it's impossible bad for PC games.
Unlike you, I'm at best 1m away from my monitor. Even the tiniest mistakes are huge. Any fps drop is visible. While a drop from 60 to 50 isn't anything huge, a drop from 30 to 20, or even 25 is just unforgiving.

There is also the thing that most modern TV's smoother the picture out (usually blurring it, but still does the job) while PC monitors don't do that. But it could be just my imagination on the last part.

There is also the thing that I'm used to higher fps. But not only because of the smoother experience in the picture, but also because of the much more responsive controls. Once you get used to such responsive controls, getting back isn't something I would pay for.

You are not imagining it, as I posted on the last page TVs and PC monitors work totally differently. TVs use interlaced video which basically means that its really running at 60fps on a 30fps image. Monitors however don't use the same technology so what looks good on a TV at 30fps looks like ass on a PC monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video - This is what TVs use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan - This is what monitors use.

Despite what people are saying in this thread its nothing to do with graphics at all its down to the differences between the console and PC tech and there is little you can do about it unless you have the facility to hook up a normal TV to a PC. (or wait for someone to crack it)

The Plunk:
"Oh no, 30 fps! Whatever will we doooooooooooooooooooooo?!"

The game was perfectly playable on consoles.
The game will be the same, if not slightly better, on PC.
Therefore it will be perfectly playable on PC.

You fool! I need 60+fps to be happy in life!

BiH-Kira:

thesilentman:

More OT

EDIT:
Another thing.

EDIT2:

BTW, I'm also a PC gamer. I really just pulled that chart to prove that not everything is a console port.

But really, I did post above that I wouldn't have cared that it would be in 30 FPS and only 720p, but there are higher standards for PC. I also sit a meter away from the screen and even I can't wonder how I managed to play Skyrim on my desktop that averaged 25 FPS after trying it on my laptop and getting a stable 45 FPS. I believe that this was a bad case of miscommunication (yes it was) as us PC players wanted 60 FPS and 1080p support and From directly ported the console version under 'we want PC' petition. I started caring when they mentioned no remappable controls, though.

Bottom line is, I'll still get the game, but it disappoints me that us gamers couldn't properly articulate what we wanted for PC Dark Souls to a team that knew nothing about PC development.

Edits for grammar and clarity

RhombusHatesYou:

Waaghpowa:
How would you react if one of your xbox/ps3 games ran like crap? You would be complaining your ass off I'm sure.

Man, the next time a PS3 game has *ahem* 'launch performance issues' (it's like erectile dysfunction for games!), and it's always the PS3 version that has the problem, I'm going to be tempted to use the 'you should be grateful' routine.

I'll laugh when they try to call you an elitist for it too.

Lovely Mixture:

Judgement101:
To all you PC gamers that are moaning about this. DEAL WITH IT. You shouldn't even be getting a port of this game but your constant complaining ended up getting you something that you are going to complain more about?

More generalizations? Read the thread. And petition =/= complaining.

It's funny because a petition is a formalized complaint.

Besides PC vs Consoles Bullshit, this is another bad Port. You can't directly port over any software and expect it to work perfectly fine.
And that's just sloppy. You can't port this Game to Wii and expect it to work perfectly well with no Modifictations.
Xbox to PS ports wont work all that well if you don't put some work into them.

This is another Product that wont work as well as it should be and People shouldn't buy that. I would say the same thing about any port from any Platform to any other Platform. If the Developer can't be bothered to give a fuck, why should you?

I find it funny how Jim Sterling made the case that it was developers being myopic about performance and graphics. But, here we are seeing gamers making the same argument about how it better performs at some mythical medium or they will not like it. I guess performance is a problem with all spectrums of the gaming community.

Also, I never experienced the slowdown issues in Blight town.

Madman123456:
Besides PC vs Consoles Bullshit, this is another bad Port. You can't directly port over any software and expect it to work perfectly fine.
And that's just sloppy. You can't port this Game to Wii and expect it to work perfectly well with no Modifictations.
Xbox to PS ports wont work all that well if you don't put some work into them.

This is another Product that wont work as well as it should be and People shouldn't buy that. I would say the same thing about any port from any Platform to any other Platform. If the Developer can't be bothered to give a fuck, why should you?

It think it will work as expected to. What is forgotten in this debate is that GFWL is the 360 operating system in PC format. The conversion came from the 360 iteration.

Most developers of AAA titles start with the PS3 version first, then convert it to 360 and PC. The reason for it is that it takes less work to downgrade from the PS3 operating system than it does to upgrade to it.

Julius-Seizure:
I've never heard of a movie that actually went above 30fps.

Well, consider this your first.

Peter Jackson plans on filming the Hobbit at 48 frames per second. He is doing this because he fears the attention span of the consumer.

Scumpernickle:

Yeah, consoles are running on dated hardware, and yes, any computer built after 2009 outperforms them, but the games aren't "shit". Graphics, framerate, control, functionality, whatever you want to talk about, is not shit on consoles. Would you call a NES shit? How about a PS2? So why call something dated shit? Just because it inconveniences you now?

I also remember somebody saying that the devs themselves said not to expect a stellar port. Yet everyone expects something better than the consoles.

TLDR: Dated =/= Shit

I think you messed up the point you were trying to make, because they are objectively shit in comparison to what we have now. No amount of nostalgia can somehow convince me that old hardware is better than newer hardware. You probably meant the games libraries of the consoles which, while they did have some nice games, would be pretty hard to play as they are.

Hell, some of those probably ran at 60fps. I never remember getting a migraine from Timesplitters. Although Pokemon Yellow did - and still does to this day - make me feel physically sick playing it... and I don't know why.

Edit: Had to respond to this:

Scumpernickle:

gnihton:
Snip

I guess you didn't read my slideshow rant there.

You know, movies run at 30 FPS (a hair under actually). How's that for a nice slideshow boyo?

I sincerely hope you're being satirical. I don't think I need to point out that movies aren't games. I don't think I have to point out that as such, they're not interactive, and therefore delays aren't as noticeable. I really shouldn't have to point out that movies use motion blur, motion blur that samples from original footage that is higher than 30fps so you're seeing anything from 40-300 (estimate, I don't make movies) fps compressed into 30fps.

thesilentman:
I believe that this was a bad case of miscommunication (yes it was) as us PC players wanted 60 FPS and 1080p support and From directly ported the console version under 'we want PC' petition. I started caring when they mentioned no remappable controls, though.

Bottom line is, I'll still get the game, but it disappoints me that us gamers couldn't properly articulate what we wanted for PC Dark Souls to a team that knew nothing about PC development.

Do you honestly believe that when people are making a petition for something to be made, they have to outline every single feature they want to see - including the most basic shit - or it's their fault if the developer cheaps out on it? I mean, really? "Well, golly gee, you just said you wanted the game, you didn't say you want it not make you wanna gouge your eyes out because of the bad picture quality. Your fault."

To be clear, I don't have a problem with you buying the game or anything like that. I think this excuse is extremely weaksauce and bordering on Stockholm syndrome.

Why are you PC gaming fanboys getting so bent out of shape? I've been a PC gamer for the past several years, and never noticed a quality issue. It's a general rule of thumb for PC gamers to be picky about the graphics, but yet for some reason I'm not. Maybe it's just me.

I fucking LOVE the PC. I played the port of From Dust that people wouldn't buy because "OH NO! IT CAPS AT 30 FPS! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE BURN DOWN UBISOFT!" I play Skyrim and Battlefield 3 on PC, and it's the main machine I play on! Get over it. You asked for a port from a mainly-console developer. You're getting one. Now stop whining and be damn grateful that they even listened to you.

...you know, I had to play it with 30 fps graphics and I thought it looked just fine. I think that you'll live. Besides, I thought that we all agreed that when we were talking about what made a game good that the graphics were at the bottom of the list...really, graphics are going to stop some of you from playing Dark Souls? Wow...just wow.

Scumpernickle:

Do4600:

Waaghpowa:

Nope

Read the bottom of "System requirements".

Additional: Online play requires software installation of and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE

Oh, ouch, locked framerate, locked resolution and nearly the winner in worst online DRM to deal with. The trouble is that I've been looking for a good hardcore hack and slash rpg for a very long time and this looks like it was designed to fill that role perfectly. Difficult decision.

Come on, how bad is GFWL really? I think everyone over exaggerates. I have an account and it is by no means "draconian". It's extremely easy. You load your game, sign in, and play. There, done. Just because it may not be a very graceful type DRM doesn't mean it's the worst thing to happen ever. I use it for GTA4 and RES 5. Not a problem to be had.

It's not draconian, no, but it is extremely unreliable. I don't know why, but I've had to re-enter my key-code every time I've played Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II because for whatever reason GFWL just didn't save that I had entered it already. On top of that I think I've dropped from multiplayer games about four times out of ten while using GFWL because GFWL timed out. In contrast to that I can't remember the last time I was dropped from a game that uses steam to regulate multiplayer games. Lastly, I don't understand why any game company would require Steam, which is already online DRM in addition to GFWL which is also online DRM, I think it has something to do with the fact that most companies see Steam as a distribution medium rather than a security device.

Hammeroj:
Do you honestly believe that when people are making a petition for something to be made, they have to outline every single feature they want to see - including the most basic shit - or it's their fault if the developer cheaps out on it? I mean, really? "Well, golly gee, you just said you wanted the game, you didn't say you want it not make you wanna gouge your eyes out because of the bad picture quality. Your fault."

To be clear, I don't have a problem with you buying the game or anything like that. I think this excuse is extremely weaksauce and bordering on Stockholm syndrome.

Seeing how when a hostage situation happens, the person in control usually has a list of demands; or is law enforcement just supposed to know they want a get away car and a large sum of cash in a burlap sack that has a dollar sign stenciled on it. For a more real life situation, when a labor union goes on strike they have a list of demands so the company knows what they want; or are they supposed to do the Vulcan Mind-Meld or suck it in through osmosis? If there's no unified goal aside from "we want X" then you shouldn't whine when you don't get something to your specifications which judging from others here are obscenely high. It's still a great game that looks great and plays great with the one problem of Blight Town. People should stop trying to make the game to their comfort level and show some adaptability and overcome. The mountain didn't go to Mohammed and if it did I'm sure he didn't bitch about it being a mash-up of crappy sand/dirt colors.

Kheapathic:
Seeing how when a hostage situation happens, the person in control usually has a list of demands; or is law enforcement just supposed to know they want a get away car and a large sum of cash in a burlap sack that has a dollar sign stenciled on it. For a more real life situation, when a labor union goes on strike they have a list of demands so the company knows what they want; or are they supposed to do the Vulcan Mind-Meld or suck it in through osmosis? If there's no unified goal aside from "we want X" then you shouldn't whine when you don't get something to your specifications which judging from others here are obscenely high. It's still a great game that looks great and plays great with the one problem of Blight Town. People should stop trying to make the game to their comfort level and show some adaptability and overcome. The mountain didn't go to Mohammed and if it did I'm sure he didn't bitch about it being a mash-up of crappy sand/dirt colors.

Not even going to read until you demonstrate how a hostage situation is a fitting analogy.

Hammeroj:

Kheapathic:

Not even going to read until you demonstrate how a hostage situation is a fitting analogy.

Mario, King Koopa, and Princess Peach or use your imagination. I didn't type that part to be taken seriously but since you're taking it as such... Every time demands/petition/etc are laid out, you should always be specific as possible. Asking for something and omitting specific details is how things like this happen. Whether the work being performed may require special attention or a retard is the one reading the memo, details are what makes the difference. Granted they could've just said "fuck no that's too much" and ignored it and we'd be right back at the same place with people bitching about what they want.

Scumpernickle:
I also remember somebody saying that the devs themselves said not to expect a stellar port. Yet everyone expects something better than the consoles.

If I went to a restaurant and ordered a steak, I would not give the waiter points for honesty if he followed up with, "Just to let you know, it's not going to be very good."

TLDR: Dated =/= Shit

But Dead Souls isn't dated because it JUST FUCKING CAME OUT.

We, as PC gamers, except games to function even within the general ballpark of the standards set by games two or three years older. If Dead Souls can't do that, then it's a worthless port.

peruvianskys:

If I went to a restaurant and ordered a steak, I would not give the waiter points for honesty if he followed up with, "Just to let you know, it's not going to be very good."

You're not simply ordering a steak, you want the restaurant to use your preferred herbs and spices which they probably don't have and you didn't bother to tell them. So when the waiter tells you they don't have you preferred steak sauce you simply walk out and leave the meal.

Kheapathic:

peruvianskys:

You're not simply ordering a steak, you want the restaurant to use your preferred herbs and spices which they probably don't have and you didn't bother to tell them. So when the waiter tells you they don't have you preferred steak sauce you simply walk out and leave the meal.

Are you somehow implying that the porting company did not know that video games on PC should be able to run at 1920x1080, or that we expect reasonable framerates? Or, while we at it, are you stating that somehow higher resolution, better textures, and faster framerates are somehow my "preferred" qualities instead of being objectively better than the alternative?

It's not a question of the porters not following my every whim; it's simply a question of whether or not console standards are appropriate for PC games, and the answer is no, they are not. Again, if I wanted shitty textures and resolution and frame rates then I would buy a PS3, but I want games that actually run well so I use a PC. I'm sick of feeling like I should be ashamed because I standards in accordance with the abilities of my hardware. If you can put up with trash, then good for you, but me and the other PC gamers who want a better experience are still going to be grumpy if poor porting jobs make us go down to that level.

Kheapathic:

Hammeroj:

Kheapathic:

Mario, King Koopa, and Princess Peach or use your imagination. I didn't type that part to be taken seriously but since you're taking it as such... Every time demands/petition/etc are laid out, you should always be specific as possible. Asking for something and omitting specific details is how things like this happen. Whether the work being performed may require special attention or a retard is the one reading the memo, details are what makes the difference. Granted they could've just said "fuck no that's too much" and ignored it and we'd be right back at the same place with people bitching about what they want.

The existence of hostages in video-games does what, exactly, to demonstrate that? See what I was asking you to demonstrate the aptness of the analogy, and not provide me with instances of hostage situations in fiction. And you absolutely were trying to be serious, otherwise what was the point of your post? Was it supposed to be some deadpan, ironic meta joke about something? Do explain, because if this isn't a case of saying something stupid and going "Ah, but I was merely jesting!", I am truly curious about what the intent was.

When you first quoted me, you quoted a post of mine that addressed your point before you even wrote it. This is an issue of creating a sub-standard product, even when you're looking at standards literally 8 or so years old, never mind now. Being completely unaware of these standards - thinking that monitors are still in the 1024x720, 30FPS era - is something that's borderline impossible for a team of software developers who do what they do on fucking PCs. This plea that "Poor From didn't know we're past the 1990's now" is nothing short of ridiculous. Of course they fucking know that the product they're going to put out is sub-par, the issue here was that they were working on a deadline. And I don't particularly care whether it's something self-imposed, or imposed by their publisher, the bottom line is that the game is going to look and play like a blurry, choppy piece of shit as a result.

Kheapathic:

peruvianskys:

This isn't a matter of minor personal preference, Dark Souls is missing basic features that have been present in nearly every PC game made since 3D graphics were introduced to gaming.

We have a larger pool of technical talent than ever before, 7 years of experience within the industry porting games on the CURRENT consoles, and they still cannot be arsed to do it right?

If you're going to do a port, please don't treat the second platform like they don't matter.
It just ends up wasting everyone's time and money.

EDIT: This shit is still going strong? Seriously?

DVS BSTrD:
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW poor PC gamers getting the same game as us console tards? image

Yeah. You obviously don't give a fuck...which is why you commented with the specific goal of pissing off PC gamers.

Hammeroj:

thesilentman:
I believe that this was a bad case of miscommunication (yes it was) as us PC players wanted 60 FPS and 1080p support and From directly ported the console version under 'we want PC' petition. I started caring when they mentioned no remappable controls, though.

I don't believe that I petitioned for any of these. Hell, I don't care as this port was asked from a team with no PC experience.

Dark Souls was a game renowned for it's atmosphere, soundtrack, and depth. ON PS3 AND XBOX 360! If that is unchanged, then so be it. It's a great game that is just on a different platform. 30 FPS and 720p doesn't make it shitty.

It. Will. Not. Affect. My. Experience. With. This. Game.

thesilentman:
I don't believe that I petitioned for any of these. Hell, I don't care as this port was asked from a team with no PC experience.

Dark Souls was a game renowned for it's atmosphere, soundtrack, and depth. ON PS3 AND XBOX 360! If that is unchanged, then so be it. It's a great game that is just on a different platform. 30 FPS and 720p doesn't make it shitty.

It. Will. Not. Affect. My. Experience. With. This. Game.

Okay? I already said I have zero problems with you being fine with this. The reason I quoted you is because of this misguided notion of having to lay down every single basic thing when you're asking for a game to be made.

meepop:
Why are you PC gaming fanboys getting so bent out of shape? I've been a PC gamer for the past several years, and never noticed a quality issue. It's a general rule of thumb for PC gamers to be picky about the graphics, but yet for some reason I'm not. Maybe it's just me.

I fucking LOVE the PC. I played the port of From Dust that people wouldn't buy because "OH NO! IT CAPS AT 30 FPS! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, SOMEONE BURN DOWN UBISOFT!" I play Skyrim and Battlefield 3 on PC, and it's the main machine I play on! Get over it. You asked for a port from a mainly-console developer. You're getting one. Now stop whining and be damn grateful that they even listened to you.

+1, and I now know that my machine will max this out regardless and have an even better time.

Weren't you all arguing AGAINST 2K when they said that good graphics were necessary for new games or something?

Because this thread is doing nothing but proving them right.

I'm just worried that this flop will ruin their budget for the next game.

peruvianskys:

Kheapathic:

peruvianskys:

Are you somehow implying that the porting company did not know that video games on PC should be able to run at 1920x1080, or that we expect reasonable framerates? Or, while we at it, are you stating that somehow higher resolution, better textures, and faster framerates are somehow my "preferred" qualities instead of being objectively better than the alternative?

It's not a question of the porters not following my every whim; it's simply a question of whether or not console standards are appropriate for PC games, and the answer is no, they are not. Again, if I wanted shitty textures and resolution and frame rates then I would buy a PS3, but I want games that actually run well so I use a PC. I'm sick of feeling like I should be ashamed because I standards in accordance with the abilities of my hardware. If you can put up with trash, then good for you, but me and the other PC gamers who want a better experience are still going to be grumpy if poor porting jobs make us go down to that level.

In a way I am implying that; the PC market in Japan is small and developers/publishers don't really look to that crowd unless it's a dating sim or ero game. 30 FPS is fine and accepting it doesn't make a person a lesser despite that being the argument. It's not trash and people aren't losers who are used to trash. There's nothing wrong with wanting a certain level but thinking you're on some higher plane of existence because your machine can out perform another is where people take issue with the elitist attitude. Just because you can doesn't always mean that's going to be catered to you and I have no sympathy... because let's face it, a lot of the PC crowd has a horrible fucking attitude. 30 FPS is not shitty and a 1024 resolution is not shitty; if someone is driving a Mercedes McLaren do you think they bitch about the highway speed limit being 70MPH or do you think they justify speeding because their car can do so?

Hammeroj:

Kheapathic:

Hammeroj:

The existence of hostages in video-games does what, exactly, to demonstrate that? See what I was asking you to demonstrate the aptness of the analogy, and not provide me with instances of hostage situations in fiction. And you absolutely were trying to be serious, otherwise what was the point of your post? Was it supposed to be some deadpan, ironic meta joke about something? Do explain, because if this isn't a case of saying something stupid and going "Ah, but I was merely jesting!", I am truly curious about what the intent was.

When you first quoted me, you quoted a post of mine that addressed your point before you even wrote it. This is an issue of creating a sub-standard product, even when you're looking at standards literally 8 or so years old, never mind now. Being completely unaware of these standards - thinking that monitors are still in the 1024x720, 30FPS era - is something that's borderline impossible for a team of software developers who do what they do on fucking PCs. This plea that "Poor From didn't know we're past the 1990's now" is nothing short of ridiculous. Of course they fucking know that the product they're going to put out is sub-par, the issue here was that they were working on a deadline. And I don't particularly care whether it's something self-imposed, or imposed by their publisher, the bottom line is that the game is going to look and play like a blurry, choppy piece of shit as a result.

How are they going to know the product is "subpar" if there's no feedback about it. From is a Japanese company and guess who (I'm willing to say) 95% of those petition signatures were from. There's a level of disconnect there because what the small PC group in Japan may accept isn't going to be on the same level as what all the loudmouths outside of Japan want. If 30 FPS is choppy and 1024 resolution is blurry then the problem is probably with your eyes, not the developer.

Kheapathic:
If 30 FPS is choppy and 1024 resolution is blurry then the problem is probably with your eyes, not the developer.

I... don't... even...

Are you seriously trying to use 'You don't have shit eyesight' as an insult?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here