Update: Sony Abandons The Last Guardian Trademark

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Update: Sony Abandons The Last Guardian Trademark

A trademark status change indicates that Team Ico's The Last Guardian may be canceled.

More than three years after its announcement, Team Ico's The Last Guardian is still missing in action. After its E3 2009 reveal, the spiritual successor to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus was given a vague 2011 release window. That year came and went without any updates about The Last Guardian; meanwhile, the game's executive producer quit and GameStop removed the pre-order listing from its system. Though many held onto hope that the game was still in development, The Last Guardian's trademark was abandoned earlier this week, indicating that it may never be released.

On Monday, August 6, the formerly active trademark changed to "abandoned - no statement of use filed," with a Notice of Abandonment being sent off to Sony. The trademark listing changed "because the applicant failed to file for a statement of use or an extension of time," suggesting that Sony has no use for the name The Last Guardian anymore.

Despite rumors to the contrary, Sony has repeatedly insisted that The Last Guardian is not dead. The trademark can be revived or reinstated if Sony petitions to do so within two months, so hope isn't completely lost. However, if the publisher couldn't hang onto the trademark past its expiration date, it seems unlikely that it will make any efforts to recover it.

Source: Trademarkia via PlayStation Lifestyle

Update: Sony has responded to the trademark questions and confirmed that The Last Guardian is not canceled. According to the publisher, "the project is still in development. Nothing new to report at this time." While it's strange that a company as big as Sony would let a trademark become abandoned so casually, this should come as a relief to those who have been following the game's development for the last three years.

Source: Twitter via GamesRadar

I was so excited for this game, its sad to see it in its death spasms...

Well fuck that. I was really looking forward to that game. Goddammit Ueda!

--

Saw this coming. After all this time and the departure of key people, it's hard to fault Sony for losing faith in The Last Guardian.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Anyway, petition time!

Dammit, and I was looking forward to this one too... Why does good stuff get canceled half the time? :(

I guess it's back to brown shooters and re-releases then.

Well, there goes anything I was looking forward to in life, and now only have a deep abyss of darkness and hate.

Does anybody know where I can get a chair, a hook strong enough to hold the human body, and some rope?

BreakfastMan:

Dammit, and I was looking forward to this one too... Why does good stuff get canceled half the time? :(

One reason seems to be that they take to long to release it.

DustyDrB:
Saw this coming. After all this time and the departure of key people, it's hard to fault Sony for losing faith in The Last Guardian.

Yeah pretty much. I can't imagine sales projections for the game were ever staggeringly high either given the previous titles from the studio. Which, while critically acclaimed and while they certainly have their following, can't have been unit shifters for Sony.

Unfortunate that anything different these days seems damned to obscurity but then it's been happening for years.

I'm still mad at the world for not buying enough copies of TWEWY.

Please, please say it isn't so. Please, no. Please don't be cancelled. I just... dammit man, no! NO! DAMMIT NO!!

DAMMIT! DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!

I've already lost STALKER 2. I can't lose this as well.

EDIT: So... it's not cancelled? Phwew. Let's hope it stays that way.

No...NO....NO GODDAMMIT!!

Don't you dare die on me! D:

I...I...I need to be alone....

I'll just remain optimistic and assume they're letting the trademark die because they're just changing the name of the game.

Yep, I'm in my happy place. Nobody can bring me out of it!

Please, please, PLEASE don't let this happen, world. To Kickstarter! We cannot let this die!

Didn't a similar thing happen with Shadow of the Colossus?
Wasn't it called NICO and had a completely different concept that was scrapped in favor of SOTC?

I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic.
This isn't the first time a game has gone vaporware only to return triumphantly with a name change.

This might be my denial speaking.

YEEEEEEEESSS- er, *ahem* I mean NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That's really not a good sign. But is it a possibility that they're just renaming the game? That could be an explanation. Not that I personally care that much really. I loved SotC and liked Ico, but I was never excited about this game. We hardly saw anything of it and what we did see I wasn't that impressed by. The design of the griffin creature looks pretty retarded to me for one thing.

Rainboq:

That video is a work of art. That woman at 1:20 is hilarious! She looks like she just suddenly realised that she's supposed to be acting as the camera focuses on her.

Misleading headline is misleading: "Sony Abandons Trademark"

More accurate: "Sony allows Last Guardian trademark to lapse"

The trademark expired because it's been too long without it being "used." Sony has two months to reclaim it. This wasn't an action by Sony; it was a lack of upkeep.

I hope it ends up being a false alarm, I really want to see this game released.

Well, we all knew that the griffin thing was going to die.

We just didn't expect it before the game was even released.

Noooo! Noooo! NONONONO! NO! NO! NO! GOD! FUCKING! DAMMIT! NOOOO!!!

They couldn't have cancelled it, they wouldn't! No! They're just changing the name! Right guys? Right? Right?!

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Goddamn, this better not lead to anything worse...

www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/24975/the-last-guardian-has-abandoned-its-trademark-but-has-sony-abandoned-the-game?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Misleading title is misleading. Above article brings up some fairly good points. Most likely the trademark is just lapsed and Sony will renew it sooner or later.

Everyone, calm yo tits.

Oh man I haven't felt this bad since the guy who did the pokemon theme died.

An Ico game with a sad ending? Who could have seen that coming?

Rainboq:

Damn you beat me to it! but in the immortal words of... so many many people...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo~

As a zealous Xboxian, I celebrate this occasion as it is another step forward towards our ultimate victory in the console wars.

no
NO
NO!

NO!

and I don't even have a PS3 nor will I have any in the future
although on a more positive, if naive, note, it could mean that when the game comes out, it won't be PS3 exclusive and might come to PC
a man can dream

That's disappointing. I was looking forward to seeing how it tied into the other two games. Hard to believe they're letting this one die.

Well, i guess that's that then. Farewell cruel world!

Allow me to join everyone else when I say

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Why is this going through "development hell?" Does Sony think this won't sell? Are they that dumb? This isn't some risky business adventure, and it's not like this is some crazy avant-garde title made by small time developers. Seriously, screw you Sony.

Please renew it Sony please please please.

Sseth:
As a zealous Xboxian, I celebrate this occasion as it is another step forward towards our ultimate victory in the console wars.

You have no soul and are evil.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or