Vita Having "Difficult Time" Attracting Third-Party Support

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Vita Having "Difficult Time" Attracting Third-Party Support

Thanks in part to competition from the Nintendo 3DS, the PlayStation Vita is quickly falling behind in the handheld market.

There's a common belief that having strong third-party support for your console is a sign of success. While Nintendo may have been able to attribute the success of the Wii to its hardware and first-party titles, in the long run, strong third-party support goes a long way towards ensuring a console's long-term success. This detail is one that companies like Sony understand quite well, with the majority of titles on its console platforms being almost exclusively third-party titles. Unfortunately, according to an interview with Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studio President Shuhei Yoshida in PlayStation: The Official Magazine, it's a detail that hasn't translated to the PlayStation Vita, which is lagging behind in handheld gaming markets.

"We're having a more difficult time than we had anticipated in terms of getting support from third-party publishers," Yoshida said, "but that's our job ... We will continue to talk to development communities and publishing partners and tell them why Vita can provide a great experience for the IPs they have and I hope the Assassin's Creed game will prove that."

Despite its impressive hardware, the PlayStation Vita has fallen behind the Nintendo 3DS in terms of sales. While neither system had an especially strong selection of launch titles, the 3DS got around that by implementing a competitive price drop. So far, Sony is refusing to follow suit, and Nintendo is reaping the benefits.

While the PlayStation 3 home console has done very well, the mobile and handheld markets have changed dramatically in recent years, and that's after the original PSP system failed to impress gamers as first predicted. If Sony wants to attract third-party developers, developing a positive relationship with communities is a good start, but having a handheld system they'd feel confident developing for goes even farther.

Source: The Silent Chief, via Games Industry International

Still no Monster Hunter...

Sony! y u no want my monehs?!

Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it, MH Vita will sell the consoles for you!

I'm starting to question if I should get a Vita compared to a 3ds even more now...

Daystar Clarion:

Sony! y u no want my monehs!

Seriously, I've said it before and I'll say it, MH Vita will sell the consoles for you!

maybe they're afraid that capcom will save their console and make people happy?

that's the only reason I can think of that they haven't tried MH yet

I would buy one if they weren't $250 CAD.

Daystar Clarion:

Monster Hunter sells any console.
Put MH on the xBox 360 and it will be the best selling console in Japan. Those guys are crazy for MH games, and I completely understand them. Been playing MH Tri since launch on the Wii. Now I'm playing it a bit less often, but still hunt the big guys at least once a week.

Unfortunately, Capcom thinks it's bad to sell a game and make a huge profit, so they even when they make a game, they don't localize it anywhere beside Japan.

For some reason I distinctly remember people saying that Nintendo was going to lose support to Sony because of the lack of a second analogue stick. What happened hmm?

AdamG3691:

Daystar Clarion:

Sony! y u no want my monehs!

maybe they're afraid that capcom will save their console and make people happy?

that's the only reason I can think of that they haven't tried MH yet

Only problem is, contemporary Capcom is both allergic to games people want AND morally opposed to happiness.

Waaghpowa:
For some reason I distinctly remember people saying that Nintendo was going to lose support to Sony because of the lack of a second analogue stick. What happened hmm?

Nintendo sold a second analogue stick for 20$ a pop and Tetsuya Nomura was all like

"DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN get some some Kingdom Hearts up in that shit!"

I seriously forgot about the Vita. There's just nothing interesting out for it yet. No wonder the 3DS is kicking its ass.

Haha, I just love it when I'm right.

I seem to recall people claiming the 3DS was dead. I was arguing with people just yesterday who claimed that the 3DS was selling so poorly (despite having pushed upwards of 19 million units after roughly 15 months of sales). I'll bet Nintendo's perfectly happy being "dead" right about now.

And all the while, the Vita continues to crash and burn, sitting somewhere around the 2 million mark. I'm practically dying of laughter over here.

Yet these same folks come onto this forum and want to claim that Nintendo doesn't know what it's doing. I think this is proof that they're not quite as stupid as people want to make them seem. Say what you want about Nintendo's obvious failings (like its abject failure to get third parties on board with the Wii), but they obviously know their audience a hell of a lot better than the "back-seat drivers" in this forum.

I was off-board after hearing about the abysmal loading times and extra $ for a memory card. If you would have told me three years ago that a gaming device would require an external memory card in 2012...

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/02/09/ps-vitas-load-times-analysed/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114397-GameStop-Leaks-Vita-Memory-Card-Pricing

CriticKitten:

I seem to recall people claiming the 3DS was dead. I was arguing with people just yesterday who claimed that the 3DS was selling so poorly (despite having pushed upwards of 19 million units after roughly 15 months of sales). I'll bet Nintendo's perfectly happy being "dead" right about now.

And all the while, the Vita continues to crash and burn, sitting somewhere around the 2 million mark. I'm practically dying of laughter over here.

Yet these same folks come onto this forum and want to claim that Nintendo doesn't know what it's doing. I think this is proof that they're not quite as stupid as people want to make them seem. Say what you want about Nintendo's obvious failings (like its abject failure to get third parties on board with the Wii), but they obviously know their audience a hell of a lot better than the "back-seat drivers" in this forum.

It takes a "special" (and I mean that in the most condescending way possible) kind of person to take personal pride in the accomplishments of a company they aren't, have never, and will never, be involved with in any way.

OT: I'm patiently waiting for Persona 4: The Golden, AssCreed, Jet Set Radio, and psOne classics for the Vita.

My 3DS is dead in the water until Pokemon Black and White 2 come out.

This is a real shame, as the Vita is probably the best console I've bought since the Gamecube. And I've owned all systems besides the PS3 (I'll get eventually). It's not like I wasn't expecting though. I knew the Vita wouldn't sell well. But I bought one anyway because it has the superior handheld games. I came for Gravity Rush, but I've been playing Everybody's Golf pretty much every day for about 2 months now.

As for the Monster Hunter game, well, I understand they push units in Japan. Although I'm not bothered.

One the bright side, if less devs invest in the Vita, it should hopefully mean a greater ratio of quality titles on the system, as opposed to Ninty handhelds which are approx 5% quality games, 95% shovalware.

worldfest:
I was off-board after hearing about the abysmal loading times and extra $ for a memory card. If you would have told me three years ago that a gaming device would require an external memory card in 2012...

I bought the smallest memory card for 10. It ain't no biggie. That's big enough to download around 4-5 demos at a time. Unless you plan on downloading full games on the system, that's enough.

As for the loading times, yeah, some games take quite a while to load. I can't really defend that, but overall it doesn't bother me. The system is basically a current gen system at a fraction of the size. It inherited all of its pros, and all of its flaws. I'd have been more surprised if the loading wasn't long on certain games, considering how breathtakingly technologically intense they are.

CriticKitten:

Not really. No one, not even Sony, would've thought the Vita was going to outsell the 3DS, or even dent sales. It was always on the cards that the 3DS would outsell.

As for Nintendo 'dying', yeah, that's a strong statement, but they have lost money for the first time in their company's history. Not even the fantastic Gamecube was making a loss, despite being 3rd in the console race for pretty much every region.

...but they obviously know their audience a hell of a lot better than the "back-seat drivers" in this forum.

We all know Nintendo's audience. Kid gamers, ignorant parents, and people who'll buy any game with the word 'Pokemon','Zelda' or 'Mario' written on it. If it really takes to pay a professional to figure that out, I really need to hand my CV to their sales dept.

BTW, if you're wondering, I own a 3DS also. I'm not a Sony fanboy, or strictly a Nintendo hater (I love the gamecube). I have always been a great appreciator of [true] innovation.

J. Mazarin:
It takes a "special" (and I mean that in the most condescending way possible) kind of person to take personal pride in the accomplishments of a company they aren't, have never, and will never, be involved with in any way.

Your condescension is acknowledged and summarily ignored. If you have nothing of value to say, don't waste my time.

Terramax:
Not really. No one, not even Sony, would've thought the Vita was going to outsell the 3DS, or even dent sales. It was always on the cards that the 3DS would outsell.

Really? You've been around these forums for longer than me, but you never noticed the vast number of people saying that the 3DS was going to flop and/or that the Vita would end up beating it? Honestly? o_O

Those same folks are now the ones predicting the WiiU's imminent "death", if you're having trouble picking them out from the rest of the crowd.

As for Nintendo 'dying', yeah, that's a strong statement, but they have lost money for the first time in their company's history. Not even the fantastic Gamecube was making a loss, despite being 3rd in the console race for pretty much every region.

Yeah, but that might not be much of a statement as it might seem. The 3DS did have a rocky start, and the Wii is....what, six years old now? And we're in the middle of a very poor global economy. Nintendo posting its first losses doesn't seem as meaningful when you consider that the other members of the Big Three have also posted losses, as have most of the industry's top studios and publishers. I'm not really one to be surprised at monetary shortfalls in that context.

We all know Nintendo's audience. Kid gamers, ignorant parents, and people who'll buy any game with the word 'Pokemon','Zelda' or 'Mario' written on it. If it really takes to pay a professional to figure that out, I really need to hand my CV to their sales dept.

Considering some of the idiots I've seen in my own very short time in the industry, you might be surprised. Did you know that openly criticizing your player base is actually a BAD idea, and that some people working in the industry still aren't aware of this fact?

BTW, if you're wondering, I own a 3DS also. I'm not a Sony fanboy, or strictly a Nintendo hater (I love the gamecube). I have always been a great appreciator of [true] innovation.

I wasn't, actually, but it's nice to occasionally see another person who recognizes what should be exceedingly obvious. It makes me worry just a little bit less about the industry as a whole.

CriticKitten:

J. Mazarin:

Your condescension is acknowledged and summarily ignored. If you have nothing of value to say, don't waste my time.

But you didn't ignore it, that's the kicker. Eh, I'd wager you just want attention. Don't worry, with that kind of attitude you'll get it pretty easily.

OT: As an aside, I'm wondering if Sony might try to make the fabled "Playstation Phone" in the near future as a type of desperation attempt. Who knows.

I bought one back when they had the Vita + Mortal Kombat + 4 GB memory card for the same price as Vita Retail.

Honestly haven't regretted it yet, Disgaea 3 alone has cost me a hundred or two hours of my life which I've enjoyed spending.

Now that said, if you don't like sitting back in a chair with a portable then the PS3 is just as good for Disgaea entertainment.

Overall I just wish that there wasn't a console war and I could have Viva Pinata on the Vita.

That...dear god...I think I'd never get anything done with that :(.

J. Mazarin:
My 3DS is dead in the water until Pokemon Black and White 2 come out.

Same :). I got it back with the original price, I'm so amped for black 2.

The only sad thing about Pokemon these days is when I go to places to pick up event Pokemon I always feel like folks are watching me.

"That man is a bit too old to be hanging around all those children with a 3DS."

I wouldn't if I didn't need to folks! The wifi strength here is terrible >:(. Give me my damn Ash's Pikachu and I'll be on my way!!!

Th37thTrump3t:
I'm starting to question if I should get a Vita compared to a 3ds even more now...

They are both nice and if you like games even half as much as I do I imagine you'll get more than your money's worth out of either :).

Though the ambassador program really was a big help for me liking my 3DS. It's still a nice little handheld either way.

CriticKitten:

No one who paid any attention to consoles was under the disillusioned theory that the Vita would outsell the 3DS, which is why even Sony ended up hyping their baby as a hardcore console.

No, Nintendo, like Square Enix, have little actual direction. Their new console will not take off unless the greasy mustache of a certain over exposed character comes with it right out of the box. They retread old school because that's all their Teenie and casual fans want -- something to make them nostalgic about once picking up a Mario game way back when.

What I mean, is that Nintendo no longer pushes innovation in the console or game platforms. They just revise their games like that lazy novelists we all follow and sharply criticize when they proceed in the same way, and because they once showed capacity for greater depths. But as long as he makes a living for his kids and still remains fairly active, I guess that's all that matters in the bottom line then, right?

"3DS defies trend as US gaming sales figures fall for 8th straight month"

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Multiformat/Nintendo+news/news.asp?c=43999

Th37thTrump3t:

I've played a Vita and I own a 3DS.

I wouldn't trade my 3DS for the Vita. The Vita may be shiny, but the 3DS is just a WAY better value for your money.

I love my 3DS. I'm stingy as hell and the $170 still feels worth it.

The Vita, on the other hand, is WAY too expensive.

OT: I'm not surprised. Nobody bought the Vita because it can end up costing more than a PS3, with none of the good games for the PS3 (which is a lot, part of what makes me wish I'd bought one).

Daystar Clarion:

I think it was Capcom's decision to make Monster Hunter 4 a 3DS exclusive, so you can hardly blame Sony. I think Capcom knows that have a console moving franchise so they are able to make a decision between 3DS and PSV, and I would imagine the 3DS is cheaper to develop for, so there you go.

worldfest:

No, Nintendo, like Square Enix, have little actual direction. Their new console will not take off unless the greasy mustache of a certain over exposed character comes with it right out of the box. They retread old school because that's all their Teenie and casual fans want -- something to make them nostalgic about once picking up a Mario game way back when.

What I mean, is that Nintendo no longer pushes innovation in the console or game platforms. They just revise their games like that lazy novelists we all follow and sharply criticize when they proceed in the same way, and because they once showed capacity for greater depths. But as long as he makes a living for his kids and still remains fairly active, I guess that's all that matters in the bottom line then, right?

That's in part where I sit with the 3DS. If the game isn't from their first-party development, it is shit.

And when it IS first-party developed, chances are that it's just a fucking remake, another Mario/Zelda/Pokemon game, or BOTH.

I knew well over a year ago that the Vita would not take off without strong 3rd party support.
I also guessed that if the Vita ever got traction, it could take off because the platform is remarkably flexible for designing games on. Far better than the 3DS.

Though in a way, this was NEVER really 3DS vs Vita, because both of them were jockeying for support in times of need.

So while my 3DS is relegated to being used as an overpriced MP3 player, I can wait for the SLOW trickle of decent games to come out from 1st-party papa-Nintendo. I don't like this prospect one bit, but I can at least say that I regularly USE my 3DS (and I didn't pay for it, so, why am I complaining to even start with?)

In the mean time, the Vita has close to NOTHING. Maybe a Persona title here and a Disgaea there, but close to nobody is even looking at the Vita for development.
I don't own a Vita (never did), but I had a group of friends who bought them at a sale, and they have, since March, sold them one by one, the last one selling his about two weeks ago.

Their reasoning was all the same: Overpriced and No games.

But what really blows my mind: is that at E3 2010, the handheld market looked primed to explode...and it has turned into one of the biggest duds in gaming history.

Has all the development really gone into cheap/casual hell? Have they ALL gone to Android and the iFad?
Or has Sony/Nintendo really become that unappealing to developers?

See, this is an example of hand-helds struggling with Ipod, Ipad, Iphone, and Android games. Console type games on Vita/3DS are not what most people are playing, now Nintendo is doing well because they can sell gimmicks and back it up with good to great games(see Super Mario 3D Land) but Sony is primarily about electronics, not so much gaming.

They're caught in a vicious cycle at the moment: Third party developers/publishers don't want to bring out games for it because they haven't sold many Vita's, and they can't sell enough Vita's because there isn't enough third party games for it.

I personally don't want to buy one because I think it's a god damn waste of money. If it was 50 I still wouldn't buy one.

Daystar Clarion:

You like Monster Hunter?

Just when you think Daystar can't get any sexier...

Boudica:

Daystar Clarion:

You like Monster Hunter?

Just when you think Daystar can't get any sexier...

Careful.

It's been calculated by scientific scientists of science that if I were any sexier, I'd trigger a Sexy Hole.

It's like a Black Hole.

But sexy.

Yeah.

Daystar Clarion:

isnt there a MH for the 3DS that just needs translation ? or have i got platforms crossed again?

Lunar Templar:

Daystar Clarion:

isnt there a MH for the 3DS that just needs translation ? or have i got platforms crossed again?

Yeah, but that's the 3DS.

I don't want no stinking 3DS, with no stinking second analog stick unless I purchase it as a stinking peripheral that makes it bulky as hell.

Daystar Clarion:

Lunar Templar:

Daystar Clarion:

Yeah, but that's the 3DS.

I don't want no stinking 3DS, with no stinking second analog stick unless I purchase it as a stinking peripheral that makes it bulky as hell.

well .... i don't want a vita cause, its just the PSP all over again

Nintendo handheld is utterly dominating the competition and all developement is focused on it.

In other news, water has been found to be the leading cause of making people wet, and the sun rose in the East today.

When we see a price drop I will buy a Vita.... oh also when it has at least 5 games that I really want to play. Not just kinda want, really want. Right now there is only 2 or 3.

This is anecdotal, but I work for a popular retail store situated in the middle of a crowded city. We haven't received any new Vitas since we ran dry on the original 5 we had about 4 months ago. Half of the systems were actually somehow stolen, rather than sold. In terms of game sales we have sold, from my perspective working there, close to no Vita games. It's easy to dismiss as hyperbole, but people just aren't buying the things. It's not even a matter of us not having it and being unable to sell it. There's no interest. I like the idea of the Vita, but I just can't suggest it to anyone who is looking for a practical handheld, rather than a novelty.

I got a DSi, I love it and don't regret it. Can the Vita play Pokemon? NO!

Atmos Duality:

worldfest:

That's in part where I sit with the 3DS. If the game isn't from their first-party development, it is shit.

And when it IS first-party developed, chances are that it's just a fucking remake, another Mario/Zelda/Pokemon game, or BOTH.

I knew well over a year ago that the Vita would not take off without strong 3rd party support.
I also guessed that if the Vita ever got traction, it could take off because the platform is remarkably flexible for designing games on. Far better than the 3DS.

Though in a way, this was NEVER really 3DS vs Vita, because both of them were jockeying for support in times of need.

So while my 3DS is relegated to being used as an overpriced MP3 player, I can wait for the SLOW trickle of decent games to come out from 1st-party papa-Nintendo. I don't like this prospect one bit, but I can at least say that I regularly USE my 3DS (and I didn't pay for it, so, why am I complaining to even start with?)

In the mean time, the Vita has close to NOTHING. Maybe a Persona title here and a Disgaea there, but close to nobody is even looking at the Vita for development.
I don't own a Vita (never did), but I had a group of friends who bought them at a sale, and they have, since March, sold them one by one, the last one selling his about two weeks ago.

Their reasoning was all the same: Overpriced and No games.

But what really blows my mind: is that at E3 2010, the handheld market looked primed to explode...and it has turned into one of the biggest duds in gaming history.

Has all the development really gone into cheap/casual hell? Have they ALL gone to Android and the iFad?
Or has Sony/Nintendo really become that unappealing to developers?

The Wii-U will go under, and so will the Vita. Nintendo right now is primarily banking on the 3DS.

I sit down in front of the largest television set in the house, and much like a movie, I expect an experience. The only difference is that I'm holding a controller, but my mind is already adjusting to a cinematic atmosphere. I'm here to be amused by a something specifically made to amuse me, and I don't want to be interrupted.

A hand-held cannot give me such a visceral experience. Both the PSVita and 3DS were aimed at kids and nostalgic gamers. Not home console users with 1080p, 45 inch screens mounted to their wall, and a humble rack of 20 games with over three hundred hours of gameplay.

Both Sony and Nintendo need to redefine their definition of what video games are to culture. Neither sees the true potential, which is why we get these handheld consoles. It's a monster investment risk to pour your resources into just producing great games and sufficient consoles, in that, you truly have to push yourself to be ahead of the curb. And it pays off, too. Unfortunately, both of them, except for Microsoft's Xbox HQ, are stationed in Japan -- wait a minute! Who didn't make a handheld console? Whose not worried about that genre? That's interesting.

I'm not surprised whenever I see a handheld gaming device fall flat on it's face the moment it comes out. How many of us really need to be playing something constantly when we're away from home? The only time I would use one is if I'm on a plane or roadtrip, and that's only for a few hours at the most.

That's probably because it's an expensive unwieldy mess with no games.

Remember the psp, or as i like to call it piracy heaven, and you wonder why you don't get developers flocking at your door crying out to use your console.

That and poor sales.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or