Use Your Vita as a Control Pad in Guacamelee

Use Your Vita as a Control Pad in Guacamelee

An upcoming PS3/Vita platformer is trying to steal the Wii U's thunder.

The imaginatively titled Guacamelee is an upcoming platformer/brawler from About a Blob developer, Drinkbox Studios. It's a culturally sensitive depiction of Mexico's ongoing struggle with the drug trade and gang violence. Wait. No. It's actually about a lucha libre wrestler trying to save "El Presidente's daughter" from an army of sombrero-wearing skeletons, and it looks great.

While it doesn't' seem to be the most up-to-date representation of Mexican culture, Guacamelee appears to have some pretty neat ideas. It sports a simple dark/light world mechanic, lets you turn into a chicken and, thanks to its PS3/Vita exclusivity, lets you use your Vita as a control pad for the PS3 version.

"We're integrating the Vita as a PS3 controller for Guacamelee, utilizing the Vita screen for a mini-map, and hopefully more," Drinkbox's Chris McQuinn told Joystiq. "Does this sound like a next-gen console you've heard of perhaps? As far as we know, we're the first game doing this."

The first game of this generation, perhaps, but certainly not the first game overall; I'm pretty sure Nintendo beat Drinkbox to the punch with those Gamecube games that let you use the GBA as a controller.

Guacamelee is being partially funded by Sony's Pub Fund initiative, which offers to match the development costs of a project in exchange for a year of exclusivity. Sony is currently trying to use the program to encourage more developers to work on Vita titles. Despite the Vita's impressive hardware, Sony admits it's having a "difficult time" attracting third party support for the handheld.

Source: Joystiq

Grey Carter:

"We're integrating the Vita as a PS3 controller for Guacamelee, utilizing the Vita screen for a mini-map, and hopefully more," Drinkbox's Chris McQuinn told Joystiq. "Does this sound like a next-gen console you've heard of perhaps? As far as we know, we're the first game doing this."

What about Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3?

Foolproof:

Grey Carter:

What did that do?

Yeah my first thought was also the GBA/Gamecube setup.
Pretty sure WindWaker/Four Swords (I forget which one) let you have the map displayed on the GBA as well.

So basically, they're talking out their ass.

Doesn't look or sound very original to me, in fact it looks like they're pulling every gimmock out of the bag, to add shine to a fairly run-of-the-mill platform game.

I mean, is there a particular reason why the game isn't being fully released on the Vita?, can't the Vita handle a basic platformer with some particle effects?
The Vita is not a gimmock, it's a powerful handheld that is not being utilised to it's potential, and this publisher and this game is not helping the situation. Doesn't your average Vita owner deserve a decent game or two before the console is cast into the dirt, as a gimmock controller for a game that barely even needs a controller!

There is potential for handhelds like the Vita, iPhone, iPod etc to act as gaming accesories, especially with the more complex games like DayZ, Dwarven Fortress, Minecraft, MMO's etc - having an interactive map, user guide, spell guide etc could be great. I use my iPad as a map for DayZ, it makes a big difference if you figure out where you are when you start, and decide on a location to get to first. Not only can it improve the game indirectly like that, but it could be much better, like allowing inventory management etc. The point is that it has to be relevant, the additional device should be used to its maximum benefit. In this case, the Vita is being used as a controller when the PS3 controller is better, and it's being used as a map, but a platform game that needs a map is a bit of a clusterfuck if you ask me, there is very little value in exploring platform games compared to RPG's etc. A good use of the Vita in this case, would be to just release the game for the Vita - maybe have the controller and map interract with the PS3 as a bonus, but developers need to stop fucking around and develop games for the Vita, and stop trying to dismiss it as an expensive peripheral for the PS3, it's a powerful machine without enough support. If developers want to support things like mobile phones and handheld gadgets as gaming accesories, controllers, map devices, night vision goggles etc, then that's great, but that's what phones and tablets should be for.

This game looks like something Finn and Jake would be doing at the beginning of an episode before anything actually happened. It also seems to have the same title director.

I don't own a Vita, and I don't plan to until you can buy them a twenty bucks a pop, but when I do I might check out this game.

Prof.Beany:
Yeah my first thought was also the GBA/Gamecube setup.
Pretty sure WindWaker/Four Swords (I forget which one) let you have the map displayed on the GBA as well.

So basically, they're talking out their ass.

Yeah, the GBA worked like that on Windwaker I think, it highlighed some secret stuff too. It wasn't great but it worked.

I wouldn't mind having a Vita if it didn't cost ten million pounds, another hundred thousand for the memory card and then had no games.

Grey Carter:
The imaginatively titled Guacamelee is an upcoming platformer/brawler from About a Blob developer, Drinkbox Studios. It's a culturally sensitive depiction of Mexico's ongoing struggle with the drug trade and gang violence. Wait. No. It's actually about a lucha libre wrestler trying to save "El Presidente's daughter" from an army of sombrero-wearing skeletons, and it looks great.

Though I'd bet it's more accurate and culturally sensitive than Call of Juarez: The Cartel. Though considering that game it'd be tough not to be.

Grey Carter:
It's a culturally sensitive depiction of Mexico's ongoing struggle with the drug trade and gang violence. Wait. No. It's actually about a lucha libre wrestler trying to save "El Presidente's daughter" from an army of sombrero-wearing skeletons, and it looks great.

So It's Resident Evil 4 on chili sauce and peyote?

But if they REALLLLLY want to push the Vita with this one, why not make it a full Vita title?

Oh and Grey...

The first game of this generation, perhaps, but certainly the first game overall;

I'm pretty sure there's a "Not" that's supposed to go in there somewhere.
I thought grammer/spelling errors were Name Game's schtick?

GenGenners:

Foolproof:

Grey Carter:

What did that do?

Lets you map the super moves, taunts, X factor, Combo Cross out and Ultra Moves to the touchscreen and play the game that way.

DVS BSTrD:

Grey Carter:
It's a culturally sensitive depiction of Mexico's ongoing struggle with the drug trade and gang violence. Wait. No. It's actually about a lucha libre wrestler trying to save "El Presidente's daughter" from an army of sombrero-wearing skeletons, and it looks great.

So It's Resident Evil 4 on chili sauce and peyote?

But if they REALLLLLY want to push the Vita with this one, why not make it a full Vita title?

It is. In fact, buying one version of the game gets you the other - thats how this thing works.

Grey Carter:

I find this especially funny because what Nintendo basically did is create a full console version of the DS.

So yeah, you're the first game to utilize dual screens in game play! As long as you ignore the existence of every game on the Nintendo DS, that's a very factual statement!

Focus on making your game good first, Mr. Developer. Then maybe after your game does well and sells well, you can start talking smack. As of right now, you haven't earned that right. Your prior development projects are small 2D platformers on the Playstation Network, bro, you aren't a badass or anything.

isn't that cute ....

they're ripping off Nintendo before they even launch the system

and as others have said

the GBA/Gamecube connector was first or the DS more recently, so first, they are not :p

Lunar Templar:
isn't that cute ....

Its a new way to rip off. Its called, doing the damn thing first because you had the idea first.

Foolproof:

Lunar Templar:
isn't that cute ....

Its a new way to rip off. Its called, doing the damn thing first because you had the idea first.

cept, they didn't -.-, as stated, several times on this page and in my original post, which you conveniently edited out. Nintendo did this first YEARS ago, and it wasn't all that interesting THEN ether

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here