Worms: Revolution Trailer Introduces Class System

Worms: Revolution Trailer Introduces Class System

New classes, new environmental hazards and an in-depth look at Wormius Fisticuffius, in this trailer.

Worms, the Team 17 blast-em-up group warfare franchise that has been going since 1995, is about to get another addition: Worms: Revolution, in which the little pink death machines seem to have evolved. Worm scientists, soldiers, scouts and heavies will blow hell out of the environment - and each other - trying to eliminate their foes.

Worms has had about twenty editions all told, including the 3D interface games, and they've all been broadly the same game. Take your tiny malevolent killing machine, point its sheep / old lady / mortar bomb / holy hand grenade / other weapon more or less in the direction of the enemy, and pull the trigger. Physics does the rest, which usually means you have as much chance of hitting yourself as you do the enemy.

The franchise has been criticised for not doing enough to innovate, and Worms: Revolution has some interesting ideas - classes, new water hazards - some of which may seem a little familiar to players of other team-based games. A damage-soaking heavy? A support class which drops independent gun turrets? Hundreds of hats? Hmmm. However it's the humor that sells the franchise, and that seems to have survived intact.

Worms: Revolution is due out sometime in October 2012. In addition to the latest trailer there are also a series of developer diaries, and those can be found here.

Source: Joystiq

Loaded Old ladies are a nightmare to deal with: So much racism!

A Revolution that results in a rigid class/caste system? I've seen it all now...

OT: I'll probably give this a look, for the sake of curiosity more than anything. The franchise has been lukewarm for a while now, it'll be interesting to see if these changes put some spark back into the series.

OOh. This looks pretty good. A cool shaking up of the formula while keeping the classic gameplay. The developer diaries are pretty good, and I like the look of the new "Forts" mode. I'm going to keep an eye out for this in a couple months.

They are..............everywhere. Don't....move........ O_O

I used to play Worms with my friends endlessly when I was younger but sadly the 3D iterations just killed the franchise for me. This, however, might just get me interested again.

I don't like the class system. It's redundant in a Worms game. Why can't Team 17 just update Worms World Party to work on Windows 7?

Adam Jensen:
I don't like the class system. It's redundant in a Worms game. Why can't Team 17 just update Worms World Party to work on Windows 7?

While some features were left out, and others added, Worms Reloaded works fine on Windows 7. Haven't actually played it that much, since I lack physically available friends to play it with, but it was an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

If that's not Matt Berry from the I.T. Crowd doing the voiceover, I'll eat my hat or the nearest chapeau at hand.

"HELLS TEETH! They're just cars! I'm not aroused! God DAMN these electric sex pants!"

worms 4 had hats before team fortress 2.....

I actually like these changes...good to see Worms moving ahead.

Elijah Newton:
If that's not Matt Berry from the I.T. Crowd doing the voiceover, I'll eat my hat or the nearest chapeau at hand.

"HELLS TEETH! They're just cars! I'm not aroused! God DAMN these electric sex pants!"

Hahaha, awesome. I was trying to remember who that was, thought I recognised the voice.

Proverbial Jon:
I used to play Worms with my friends endlessly when I was younger but sadly the 3D iterations just killed the franchise for me. This, however, might just get me interested again.

It was the same for me. I played just one of the 3D games and was completely turned off. It was an atrocious, pain inducing, messy experience. I blocked my mind to the games. Glad to see they're back to 2D, but I'm finding it hard to get excited again.

Holy shit... New gameplay mechanics in a Worms game! Huzzah for that, it's been ages!

And huzzah for Matt Berry, too!

NLS:

Adam Jensen:

While some features were left out, and others added, Worms Reloaded works fine on Windows 7. Haven't actually played it that much, since I lack physically available friends to play it with, but it was an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

I know about Reloaded and I don't like it. Those features they removed are a deal breaker.

All I really have to say is "Wow...they're still making Worms games?"

:P I mean I had my fun with Worms, I know what kind of chaos comes from playing with unlimited banana bombs, just find it "impressive" that they're acctually still making new ones.

Oh my God! The Worms franchise is.....changing?

Head for the hills! It's a sign of the apocalypse!!!

Always been a fan of the Worms games (The 2D ones anyway), so I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

Any news on a price tag/range?

Proverbial Jon:

Am I the only one who loved the 3d iterations? :( I have so many fond memories of playing Worms 3D on the PS2 for hours on end with my friends. It was such a fun game.

Classic worms is always nice though, I love the 3d models but 2d view, it looks great!

Team 17 you truly are the masters of innovation... how your company continues to survive is beyond me.

I was more of a Worms 4: Mayhem kid. I have lovely memories of blowing things up and hearing my worms talk like game show hosts.
"Oh, it looks like you'll be going home with just a black eye tonight!" "And you just turned down the brand new car!" "This is bound to affect the scoreboard!" "This isn't in the script!"
It's the delivery that hooked me. I am a sucker for perfect delivery.
Also, this probably sounds stupid, but what platform is this game on? PC? Console? Handheld? Retail? Download?

Jailbird408:
I was more of a Worms 4: Mayhem kid. I have lovely memories of blowing things up and hearing my worms talk like game show hosts.
"Oh, it looks like you'll be going home with just a black eye tonight!" "And you just turned down the brand new car!" "This is bound to affect the scoreboard!" "This isn't in the script!"
It's the delivery that hooked me. I am a sucker for perfect delivery.
Also, this probably sounds stupid, but what platform is this game on? PC? Console? Handheld? Retail? Download?

It's on steam for sure, I've seen the steam integration in one of the developer diaries, so it's likely safe to assume it'll be on XBLA and PSN, dunno about phones though.

Should be a good laugh with your friends, and what more can you ask for from a worms game?

Though that really isn't enough change to warrant the price tag I expect - hell Hogs of War had great multiplayer, good humour, 3d environments (though if you ask me either can be good for worms games) and a class system - and that was on the PS1. Even if the graphics are arse no Worms game can beat it in my opinion.

I find it so god damn sad that they can't outdo themselves from over a decade ago with World Party.

Interested, yet anxious.

My favourite was definitely World Party, but I can't deny that I have had hours upon hours of fun in Mayhem.

Maybe a change in format is what the franchise needs? I love the idea of water physics.

That reminds me... A friend of mine and I made a Worms-like game in the Unreal3 engine a few years back. Environmental physics and all, but still on a 2D plane.
It was quite buggy - we never really finished it - but there is nothing as satisfying as blowing out the base of a tall pillar with a perfectly placed bazooka shot, and having it fall over onto your enemies, absolutely obliterating them.

Good times.

Sseth:

Proverbial Jon:

Am I the only one who loved the 3d iterations? :( I have so many fond memories of playing Worms 3D on the PS2 for hours on end with my friends. It was such a fun game.

Classic worms is always nice though, I love the 3d models but 2d view, it looks great!

The charm just went out of it for me in the 3D versions. I remember each turn being incredibly boring because there was just so much more terrain to traverse. From what I remember of Worms Forts there was no destructible environment apart from the forts themselves. I don't know, it all just felt less colourful and much slower. I definitely preferred the colourful, wacky and frantic 2D games that we always played.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here