Gamestop Makes the Worst to Work For List

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gamestop Makes the Worst to Work For List

Business analysts put Gamestop at the 10th Worst Employer spot, citing pre-order woes.

The worst job ever story; everyone's got one, and far too many of them are inspired by people's experiences in retail. The business news site 24/7 Wall St - a Delaware-based internet news company financed by institutions like MSNBC and The Huffington Post - has collected employee review data and, from that data, extracted a list of the worst employers in America. Gamestop made the list at #10.

24/7 Wall St only considered those companies with 300 or more negative Glassdoor reviews, looking specifically for the bottom 10% of the total pool. That gave them a pool of 19 companies to examine, and they eliminated 8 straight away as those weren't publicly traded companies. That left 11, which 24/7 Wall St then examined to see why they had attracted such high levels of employee dissatisfaction.

Gamestop, according to 24/7 Wall St, is a company "under pressure." It owns too much brick-and-mortar and its digital distribution platform is small compared to the rest of its operation. But the big sticking point was sales. "Employees appear to regularly complain that the company privileges sales above customer service," according to the report, with preorders - trapping customers into paying in advance for an unknown quantity - attracting the most bile. "Likely adding to poor customer service, reviews point to high turnover," the report goes on to say, which basically means employees are deserting the company in droves. Poor leadership was also cited as a general factor affecting all the companies on the worst employer list. "Notably, almost all of the CEOs of the companies on our list get very low ratings from employees."

Not that this will come as much of a surprise to Gamestop customers, or former employees. It's not as if Gamestop has been having a great time lately, and it's true that some of its economic problems are as much to do with the market as they are with the company. Still it does beg the question; will Gamestop change and, if not, how long can it last with its current business model?

Source: Kotaku, 24/7 Wall St Wire

I've known a lot of people who have worked for Gamestop and all but one of them hated it immensely. You'd think it would be a pretty sweet retail gig. Apparently not.

Who was #1 on the list I wonder......

And I bet the CEO STILL can't figure out why nobody wants to buy their stock.

The weird thing about Gamestop is how a business dedicated to my most favorite thing in the world makes me feel so terrible. I love just looking at games but I just get a weird vibe everytime I walk into one of their stores.

There actually used to be a really awesome Gamestop I would visit and the employees and I would just chat about games, then they closed it down. It would be nice if gamestop would become like starbucks, overcharging you for coffee, but making you feel awesome while they did it.

Edit: Just fyi

10- GameStop 9- Rite Aid 8- Hewlett Packard 7- Robert Half International 6- Sears 5- Office Max 4- Hertz 3- Radio Shack 2- Dillard's 1- Dish Network

GenGenners:
Who was #1 on the list I wonder......

Just check the source article.

http://247wallst.com/2012/08/10/americas-worst-companies-to-work-for/

The gamestop near where I work actually seems pretty decent. The employees are polite, fairly well informed and don't seem particularly prone to pushing anything that doesn't interest me. Luck of the draw I suppose.

The ones around here that I regular tend to have employees that stick around for awhile so I guess they just have a good regional leader or something. It would be a shame to see gamestop go down, that would mean the only places to buy physical games would be best buy, target or *shudder* walmart.

Fappy:
You'd think it would be a pretty sweet retail gig.

I'm not sure such a thing exists.

It's Python-esque that Gamestop's solution to dropping footfall and sales is to force the staff to behave aggressively towards the customers. All the hard selling of a spam bot without the instant convenience and orifice enlargers, grand!

Smith, sale are down! Shout at the customers louder!

Bbb...but sir.

LOUDER!

Pretty much all of the problems I've experienced at GameStop (including while working at several) have been on a managerial level. Poor store management leads to poor employees.

That's not to say I don't have horror stories from my time there, because oh boy, was there some drama. I know some former GameStop employees who won't set foot in the store again, but I found a store with a great staff and enjoy being a regular there.

When they started requiring quotas on Gamestop club and Game Informer magazine subscriptions they lost a ton of good employees and potentially good managers. The bad employees filtered up into management and reinforced the cycle.

Hmmm, thats kinda interesting. I actually might be getting a job at the local Gamestop here. However, whenever I go in there, I have never had a bad experience. I've never felt like they try to pressure customers (at least not me) into something I don't want. I actually usually get caught up in conversations about various games with the employees, and they're all super friendly. In fact, not all that long ago I had bought fallout 3 there, then soon after they got the GOTY edition in for just a couple dollars more. I took F3 in to trade for in-store credit and pick up the GOTY edition. But instead of just trading it in, the employee returned it, giving me a full refund on it. I ended up paying four bucks for the Fallout 3 GOTY edition :D

Maybe I'm just lucky to have a good Gamestop here in town. All these horror stories about GS kinda go over my head.

I was friends in high school with a guy who became the assistant store manager that they opened about a 1/10th of a mile from my house and I've gotten into 45 minute discussions about the store.

He told me a few horror stores, basically its a good ole boys club. His manager refused to give him a recommendation when he tried to apply to be a full manager, despite being one of the top rated employees, he was actually getting paid less as an Assistant Manager, than a game adviser in his store he had to hire. He would tell me that the management would want to go for resales for bonus money. His store did better than most in the state, but the management higher ups, would set outrageous standards. So for example, it didn't matter if he moved [example numbers] 6000 regular game sales in a month, they wanted either more, or they wanted say 12,000 resales.

But he was set up to leave the company and in his last week I saw the real bad service people usually experience. I got a phone call, from an idiot about a game I preordered, she said it was in the store waiting for me. [I got it for PC, and it was delayed] I said it should have been impossible to be there, because it hadn't been released yet, she said no it was and that I should come get it. So I went the next day and found not only that it wasn't there, like I thought it wouldn't be, but that the store didn't even order it yet because I was the only one from that store that ordered a PC game hard copy.

I will never understand the Gamestop hate. I have been to something like 6 different stores over the course of the last ten years and never ever had a bad experience, unlike just about every other place I have tried to buy videogames. That combined with them being the best place to get console games without spending much money means that if they close I'll be done with console gaming forever, and that would be a shame because there are some thing I really enjoy about consoles. (inb4 "use E-bay" no, all of the fuck E-bay)

I hated working at Gamestop: it was the only place I worked where my supervisor told me straight up that I could be replaced within the day. When I worked for Gamestop I was thrown behind the counter with no training and like the article said, it was all about the pre-orders followed by used game sales. Once while looking through a pile of stuff for trade-ins, my manager grabbed up the boxes and manuals the person brought in and threw them away in full view (more of a personally issue for me).

Anyway the point is that no matter how many horror stories the 20-somethings have, there will always be a gaming 15 year old who doesn't care and wants to work at the place that sells him/her their games.

As a current employee of GameStop, I must have gotten lucky, cause I love my job. It really comes down to who you work with. Yeah, we get grilled on pre-orders and such, but I've worked retail for 4 years now and this is by far my favorite job.

I had a friend who managed a GameStop. You've never seen somebody so stressed all the time about their work. He left not too terribly long after starting to work retail management for a Radio Shack

Fappy:
I've known a lot of people who have worked for Gamestop and all but one of them hated it immensely. You'd think it would be a pretty sweet retail gig. Apparently not.

its great till you do something they dont like. then it doesnt matter if youve been a modle emploey or that you helped build the store sells up 50% they will go after you like a rabid dog........ long story short guy comes in to sell a 360 cant get what he wants so goes to pawn it i catch him at the pawn shop (i was clocked out) and pay him what he wanted. Little weasal of an emploey saw me reported me, was fired.

Edit: ok how the hell is walmart not number 1?! they openly misstreat their workers and they have a 90% turnover rate!

I've worked in retail and there isn't a ton cited here that isn't par for the course.

I had a job at a gamestop and really enjoyed it, I even reapplied there recently. I guess I got an okay one.

Does anyone know if they get in more copies than they do preorders?

I remember back in the day I wanted to buy a game and they had a wall of them behind the counter. They told me they couldn't sell me one because they had a preorder amount only.

I came back a few times and saw tons and never once saw them run out >_>.

I've wondered since if they just say that to push future preorders or if it is actually true.

Ended up being the last time I ever shopped there, I'm apparently a very fickle consumer. I just wander in to see if there is a new game I didn't hear about then grab it on Amazon.

Comocat:
The weird thing about Gamestop is how a business dedicated to my most favorite thing in the world makes me feel so terrible. I love just looking at games but I just get a weird vibe everytime I walk into one of their stores.

There actually used to be a really awesome Gamestop I would visit and the employees and I would just chat about games, then they closed it down. It would be nice if gamestop would become like starbucks, overcharging you for coffee, but making you feel awesome while they did it.

Edit: Just fyi

10- GameStop 9- Rite Aid 8- Hewlett Packard 7- Robert Half International 6- Sears 5- Office Max 4- Hertz 3- Radio Shack 2- Dillard's 1- Dish Network

Ha... that's funny. I used to work for Dish, and I can completely understand them being labeled #1.

Weird... My best friend actually works at Gamestop (maybe 20-30 minutes away from me). Yet he doesn't exactly have "horror stories." He probably found the best gamestop ever because he loves it. He loves his co-workers and he's already assistant manager in maybe 6-7 months.

The only real "horror stories" he gets are from customer experiences where little old ladies come in and ask if they could buy the "sky sword" (not even the game just the sky sword). Or other stupid teenagers who ask when mario comes out on the PS3.

The stories go on about really dumb questions and his only complaint is when customers don't put the display games back on the shelf properly or complain "it's false advertising when a display is on the shelf but they just recently ran out of that game in stock."

The only thing about quotas I know he has to make are in pre-orders, if he gets pre-orders he is making his quota.

ecoho:
Edit: ok how the hell is walmart not number 1?! they openly misstreat their workers and they have a 90% turnover rate!

Their methodology was restricted to publicly traded companies. As I recall, and I could be wrong, Wal-mart isn't.

I don't have any great love for GameStop; I've been irritated by some of their corporate policies myself (while the employees of my local GS do seem to be reasonably good at their jobs.)

But it does seem a little peculiar to see so much abuse lobbed at them regarding their business model when, declining sales or not, they're still managing to turn a profit.

While selling a completely non-essential entertainment product.

In a down economy with high unemployment.

but is it worst then EA?

theultimateend:
snip

Did I do that right?

Sometimes we get more copies than preorders, but sometimes we really do only get what was preordered. If that's the case we can't sell the game to anyone who didn't preorder, at least not for 48 hours.

Starke:

ecoho:

Their methodology was restricted to publicly traded companies. As I recall, and I could be wrong, Wal-mart isn't.

Wal-Mart is indeed publicly traded. I work there, there's a program for employees to buy stock and I've got some.

I can also vouch for the high (though 90% may be excessive) turnover rate. I don't know whether it's incredibly brutal or the old-timers are right about the younger generation being wusses, but a huge chunk of new employees are gone within a couple weeks or a month of starting.

I used to shop at gamestop all the time, but the last time I went into one the sales person gave me grief about pre-ordering Assassin's Creed III. He just would not take no for an answer ("But it's only five dollars. It comes with exclusive weapons" etc). I've pre-ordered in the past, and it just seems like a pointless exercise. There's no actual scarcity of the product, and the add-ons are never worth it. Now I just wait for price drops and buy online. It's better than shopping at gamestop in every way.

Am I the only one here who's seen "Zero Originality"? It almost bugs me that the article didn't even mention that video series. It's a long expose into the terrible business practices and borderline-if-not-flat-out-illegal ways the employees are treated. But it's done in the style of Zero Punctuation. Dunno if using a similar art style counts as any kind of plagiarism, considering the guy gives Yahtzee credit. But maybe that's why I've never seen anybody post those videos on here.

I encourage you to google them though. It's a great expose about a terrible business.

I wonder where Wal mart sits, since I work electronics there. Personally never had an problem with the company, but I know people who complain. Then again, who doesn't complain about where they work?

Also, does EB games fall under GameStop, or are they considered separate still? The only reason I didn't take the job at my local EB was because Walmart pays more than anyone else. I may have dodged a bullet :D

As a former 'Stopper (by several years), I can vouch for much of what has been said in here. Former low-end manager, and former general wage slave for a few years. Note that I had one of the good stores, staffed 100% with game enthusiasts would even tell people NOT to buy certain games because they sucked so badly. If someone ignored this advice, they invariably came back a week later saying, "I wish I had listened to you..."

Sales over...well, everything. Ho boy. I've listened in on the occasional District call and the like. The simplest way to explain Corporate's message on just about any topic is "If you don't exceed our expectations, you/the workers must be lazy. Push harder. (yes, if you DO exceed expectations, said minimums will rise)...If you break a rule that theoretically costs them money in any way, you are a thief. Failure to meet expectations also makes you a thief because you don't "earn" your salary".

- Corporate assigns a specific number of non-Salary hours per week; often an anemic amount. Salaried Management (usually just the store manager/SM) needs to take up the slack. This is typically 50-60 hours to week for said SM -- not atypical for a salaried job. During holidays, this can easily exceed eighty hours a week at a big store. Note that -- to Corporate -- an employee who inadvertently works 5 minutes over their allotted hours can expect a First & Final warning (read: one more screwup and you're toast), for the heinous crime of stealing from the company. If this gives them even one segment (15 mins) of Overtime...well...just don't show up any more. Ever. This, too, is the SM's fault, even if he was not there that day. If the store in general exceeds hours, same deal. Manager is accused of outright THEFT from the company/incompetence/he'd better shape up/etc

- Being #1 in the district in say, 5 out of 6 areas and #7 in the last does not equal "Really good store with one deficient area". It equals "(F***ing) lazy management who really doesn't care about their job" (an example of how this could happen: High theft in a high crime area with no security cameras, no guards, open late, etc; or crap Reserves/subscriptions sold in an area where people just don't WANT them and are not afraid to tell you so)

- Preorders vs how many they get -- Yup. If they get 2 preorders for a game per store as of the order date (Corp does the ordering), they will either order 2 copies per store or none at all, and hope that it ends up getting ordered eventually anyway. If a game has 700-900 preorders per store (read: Turkey-lovin' Dude FOOTBALL that comes out every year), then they'll order in more like 1500 for the initial release. And yes, like any other subject -- offering preorders/magazine subscriptions/cards is not optional for the workers. Their only way out of it is if you ask them not to ahead of time -- preferably via cleverly working it into your banter when you get up to the register...Saying it before that point means nothing, and if the DM or any Corp brass are in town, they gotta say it anyway, just in case.

- Employees -- just like any other shop. Sometimes you get the awesome dudes, sometimes you get the people who just don't care. I have found the former far more often, tho.

- Constantly bugging you/asking questions...Well, to be fair, the best way to prevent shrink (theft) is to make sure that the thieves (who ignore all of the overtures of friendliness anyway) know that you know that they know that they are being watched. Doesn't help all that much. After all, according to Corporate, the overwhelming bulk of shrink is by employees...And they act that way. High shrink = the employees must all be filthy thieves. This despite the fact that they get searched/bag checked every time they leave the store for any reason (or are supposed to be anyway). Also, Corp looooves to send in mystery shoppers. Failure to greet ANY customer upon entry into the store means the store fails that audit automatically. If the cashier is the only one on the floor at that time, he is also the greeter, no matter how rude that may be to the customers actually checking out. This is also supposed to apply to answering the phone, too.

- Holidays -- wasn't really touched upon. Ever wonder why stores seem to double their staff for 2 months or so from around Black Friday to early January? That's because Corporate forces them to. Naturally, one might assume that, with double the staff, the store would get double the hours, so that they may all be properly trained (Corp expects the newbies to be well trained). You can stop laughing now. Mayybe 10-20% increase in hours. The purpose of the newbies is so that one, mayyybe two might hang on after January to replace any current employees who burn/freak out and quit during the holiday season, for cheap. Our store routinely got several dozen applications a DAY during XMAS time.

Waagh -- GS bought out EB some time back. For reasons still a mystery to me (and I have a friend of 15+ years who runs a GS), some stores retain the EB name.

I'm sure most people working their first job to have some extra change for the weekend is the worst on the planet, I know I felt that way growing up, but I am surprised to see Dish Network as the top dog. Now I wonder if the CEO is notified that his company was rated as one of the worst places to work for and how does he feel about it.

Of course this gets Released a few days after I apply for my first job there. Well from reading some of the replies maybe I'll get lucky and actually enjoy working there.

Call Me Jose:
I'm sure most people working their first job to have some extra change for the weekend is the worst on the planet...

Darren716:
Of course this gets Released a few days after I apply for my first job there. Well from reading some of the replies maybe I'll get lucky and actually enjoy working there.

See what I mean! Exactly! I pray that you'll enjoy working there my friend, I've actually had a couple friends work there, never heard them complain about it and it "seemed" like they enjoyed it

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here