Borderlands 2 "Girlfriend Mode" Helps Noobs Win

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Trilligan:

Paradoxrifts:

Mouse One:

*Snip*

*Snip*

*Snip*

My point was that as the Entertainment Software Association's figures are a list of percentages, how you read and interpret them can make a world of difference on the information you walk away with. That's kinda the point of why the information is presented in the fashion that it is.

But both casual and social games are as much genres unto themselves as anything you might find being created in any of the AAA or AA development studios. Yet going ahead and then making an argument that the mere existence of audiences for these particular genres somehow makes one jolt of difference in the discussion of the demographical representation of the audience of an FPS, any FPS, unless you can demonstrably prove some link between the two is just plain stupid and/or dishonest.

Which incidentally is precisely the argument one makes when they fall back on them to pretend that female gamers have a greater percentage of participation in a genre then they can actually be proved or disproved with the relevant percentage provided by the ESA.

Also casual gaming is gaming, social gaming is gaming and I've never claimed otherwise.

Chairman Miaow:
INB4 bitching about pre-order DLC and calling sexism because he said girlfriend tree.

Anyway. This sounds like a great idea, because my girlfriends main problem with borderlands was that she would die more often than me, and so if this perk tree can tip the scales a bit, we may get a LOT of playtime out of it.

hah wowza, thank you for being much quicker than the PC people, twas a close one.

OT: It's actually a bit intriguing, but i don't have money to put the pre order down now so i'll be getting the game later and perhaps her if she doesn't cost a shit ton to buy.

and really? getting worked up over that tiny ass around the bush word choice?

I swear sometimes that I was installed with this thing called a "spine" at birth.

DVS BSTrD:
If you can't aim a pistol you shouldn't be playing Borderlands. Period.

Because Mordecai in the first one didn't already make "aiming optional"? lol

To no small surprise the very first facebook comment on this was crying sexism. Is it so much to ask the internet to stop being sooo goddamn butthurt every fucking time someone says something that's not 10000000% Politically Correct? My fucking god...

What if me quote unquote "girlfriend" is better at games then I am?

Because she was damn good at Monday Night Combat, in my opinion.

gmaverick019:

hah wowza, thank you for being much quicker than the PC people, twas a close one.

lol yeah, the ONLY way someone would think it was dumb was if they were politically correct.

Zachary Amaranth:

gmaverick019:

lol yeah, the ONLY way someone would think it was dumb was if they were politically correct.

err...where did i say that it wasn't dumb? Just because I might find something absolutely disgusting or something that I don't agree with, doesn't mean I have to sneer it to death.

*sits patiently waiting*

The Jakeinator:

Then if you play Borderlands 2, and you choose the Mechromancer (something I was already considering, before any models or BFF tree was mentioned because the name just sounds cool), and you spec the BFF tree, you can make jokes about boyfriend mode?

Schadrach:

The Jakeinator:

Then if you play Borderlands 2, and you choose the Mechromancer (something I was already considering, before any models or BFF tree was mentioned because the name just sounds cool), and you spec the BFF tree, you can make jokes about boyfriend mode?

I'm feeling demeaned already.

Not the best choice of words but understandable I'd say.

I wouldn't be surprised if one common piece of feedback they received was the request for an easier character or mode of play so their girlfriend could play along, which would lead to this being dubbed the "girlfriend mode".

It's a poor choice of words and fair game for calling the guy out on that. But I also think there's a positive side to it. It can be nothing but good if there's a lot of gamers out there who wish to introduce new people to the hobby (whether they're a girlfriend or not).

Still, let's hope they spend a bit more time thinking about what they're going to say in the future. Nobody wants to hear about a "boyfriend mode" in the next Sims game where you murder everyone FPS-style with tons of huge explosions.

Lilani:

You know what makes me angry about your post? You're basically advocating the silencing of legitimate complaints of developers because you're afraid of how they'll feel about it. Seriously, are you trying to tell me I don't have a right to express the fact that his words offended me because you're fucking scared their feelings will be hurt, and that they'll hole up and never talk to us again? [...]

No i don't.

I said that i fear that with all this hyperbole directed against developers, who are naturally better at thier jobs (in this case, designing) than giving interviews, that these interview opportunities will be replaced by carefully worded, pedantically correct official statements by some official spokesperson whose only knowledge of the game are on a factsheet given by a marketing department who filtered the words of passionate devs for maximum marketability.

What pisses me off is not the critism of the poor wording, it's the way that is being done. Wich is WAY, WAAAY out of proportion, with people like you assuming and adding intentions to it based on nothing...

I feel like that's a term that he's used to describe it before, which paints a very bad picture of both him and the development team[...]There are plenty of other terms, he just didn't bother to use any of them.

..., and, while claiming to understand his intentions, still clearly making a mountain out of a molehill.

There's a sickening witch hunt atmosphere around many internet-gaming-communities where it seems like people are required to take everything thats not 100% P.C. as a personal insult.

...And in all honesty, the lack of actually appropriate critism mixed with large amounts of hyperbole, actually hurts the cause behind it and rather helps those people who are ACTUALLY insulting others by throwing petty comments about "White Knights" or turning to sexist "hurr durr, chick gamers PMSing" comments.

There's no value in this whole thing, this whole reaction, just people kicking and screaming and crying over spilled milk (long after the whole thing was mostly defused by Randy Pitchford jumping in and clarifying things).

I am growing so so tired of the gamer community as a whole, or as the vocal minority or whatever...

Girlfriend mode... hehehe.

I think they should also add another female character that wears dungarees and doc martens. She won't have a gun because she can kill bad guys by glowering at them with +50 earnestness. They can call her skill tree "Escapist mode"

Not sure why there is controversy here. Girlfriends usually don't like playing games. If you have one that does, congrats, but it's not worth getting bothered about it for the sake of them.

Case in point: My brother plays Borderlands constantly. It's practically his favorite game. He tried sharing it with his GF, and she could barely hit the first bandits. The Mechromancer sounds exactly like what she needs to have fun with it.

The problem I have with "Girlfriend Mode" is simply what happens when an experienced player uses that skill tree. Something that helps newbs and acts as an equalizer due to being unbalanced frequently becomes insane when used by an experienced player. Quite a few games have thought of similar things over the years it seems (unbalanced weapons to help new players in multi-player, etc...) and it generally doesn't work out. Given the cooperative nature of Borderlands I can see why this might be overlooked, but the game has in part thrived because of a degree of balance. I can easily see problems with dudes running "girlfriend mode" bogarting everyone's kills and generally being a pain in
the rear.

I'm not saying there aren't solutions or work arounds that could potentially work, just that what's said here doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I feel EZ mode doesn't belong in any game with any kind of multi-player or competitive aspect. I don't have a lot of people to playwith, so I'll be irritated if I join random games and see everyone running nothing but because it's the best and makes farming so easy.

Xid Satled:
99.9% of girls suck at video games, come at me.

Ok. You're wrong. Done.

Signa:
Not sure why there is controversy here. Girlfriends usually don't like playing games. If you have one that does, congrats, but it's not worth getting bothered about it for the sake of them.

Lol. Cause only dudes are on here.
I am a girlfriend who plays games, played games when I was just a `girl`, too.
Besides, it's not a massive controversy, it was just some shitty wording that furthers a dumbass stereotype. They've moved away from the comments now so it's chill.

Phasmal:

Xid Satled:

Ok. You're wrong. Done.

Signa:

Lol. Cause only dudes are on here.
I am a girlfriend who plays games, played games when I was just a `girl`, too.
Besides, it's not a massive controversy, it was just some shitty wording that furthers a dumbass stereotype. They've moved away from the comments now so it's chill.

We've been through this before, you don't count in my general comments. Sorry if that makes you feel excluded, but I'm not going to restructure my opinion of things because someone 8,000 miles from me is an exception. Now go tear up some shit with the Gunzerker and laugh at all the pansies that need an aimbot just to kill something.

FUCK YEAH!

Xid Satled:

Phasmal:

Xid Satled:

Ok. You're wrong. Done.

lol, You really went out of your way didn't you? The fact is 97% of females are terrible at games. That's just how it is, no flame baits here.

You know just you saying it means nothing? No one considers your point at all valid until you support it with evidence.

You may as well have walked into the thread and typed in Chinese lol.

Xid Satled:

Phasmal:

Xid Satled:

Ok. You're wrong. Done.

lol, You really went out of your way didn't you? The fact is 97% of females are terrible at games. That's just how it is, no flame baits here.

The fact is 99.9% of statistics are pulled from an arse.

LOL. Guys you are being trolled. If "Feminism" now isn't a hot topic on online gaming communities, do you think they would have named it that way?

deadish:
LOL. Guys you are being trolled. If "Feminism" now isn't a hot topic on online gaming communities, do you think they would have named it that way?

Okay, one, they didn't name it that.

And two, yes. Because guys - even smart guys who make awesome things - can be boneheads at times. And being boneheaded sometimes means making a remark that seems innocuous in one's internal monologue but carries sexist (or otherwise abhorrent) overtones when expressed and received within a greater context.

It happens all the time, not just to Borderlands producers. It's really easy to say something dumb. And in spite of what the internet tells you most people who say something dumb aren't trying to troll, they just didn't realize that what they said was going to be as dumb as it turned out to be, because it made sense in their head at the time.

Matter of fact, anyone who claims to be 'trolling' is really just trying to back out of being stupid without owning up to it - it's the classic "I meant to do that" routine.

Trilligan:

deadish:

Okay, one, they didn't name it that.

And two, yes. Because guys - even smart guys who make awesome things - can be boneheads at times. And being boneheaded sometimes means making a remark that seems innocuous in one's internal monologue but carries sexist (or otherwise abhorrent) overtones when expressed and received within a greater context.

It happens all the time, not just to Borderlands producers. It's really easy to say something dumb. And in spite of what the internet tells you most people who say something dumb aren't trying to troll, they just didn't realize that what they said was going to be as dumb as it turned out to be, because it made sense in their head at the time.

Matter of fact, anyone who claims to be 'trolling' is really just trying to back out of being stupid without owning up to it - it's the classic "I meant to do that" routine.

They didn't name it? Oh, then never mind. I thought it was a publicity stunt by the developers. I only read the blurb on this site, not the original Eurogamer article.

deadish:

They didn't name it? Oh, then never mind. I thought it was a publicity stunt by the developers. I only read the blurb on this site, not the original Eurogamer article.

Nah, the actual character build is called "Best Friends Forever" and I guess includes perks that forgive bad aim and make the massive robot do most of the work. 'Girlfriend mode' was just some in-house term for the build that probably should have stayed in-house.

Hmmm, pay an allready substantial amouth of money for game I cant know I will like,

OR

Pay even more for the same thing?

No thanks gearbox, AAA games are too expensive for me to gamble on, and I refuse to pay even more than that for what realy didnt have to be a DLC.

I love this idea, and I love it even more because of how funny "girlfriend mode" sounds. Is it sexist? Yeah, probably. Is it HILARIOUS? Absolutely.

This is basically what I've tried to say in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvu2H338VQ

The context is about relationships, not women, and not in it's meaning sexist.

Hey, a new (read "cut") character that is almost day one DLC? I'll skip your whole game, thanks Gearbox.

Palademon:
So my options are piss easy or nut breaking?
Why can't I just have a serious character? The concept of "Girlfriend Mode" sounds demeaning to me, and I'm not even female.

Get over it. It is NOT for girls. It is for anyone who doesn't play games. The whole "girlfriend mode" thing was coined by someone else many years ago.

Can we get over calling every goddamn thing sexist? I don't think most people on this forum or any other even know what sexism is.

MetallicaRulez0:
I love this idea, and I love it even more because of how funny "girlfriend mode" sounds. Is it sexist? Yeah, probably. Is it HILARIOUS? Absolutely.

It is not sexist. Sexist means this: "discriminatory on the basis of sex"

So called "girlfriend mode" is not actually for girls, it is for anyone who is not good at video games. This is a community created term that he was using to try and explain what he meant.

Talk about taking something the wrong way, it's called a bit of a joke. Not everything has to be all pc online does it, my girlfriend didn't take offense to it, because they didn't mean it seriously.

Really, 'girlfriend mode?' You are gonna go on record calling it 'girlfriend mode.' Are these people fucking with us or are they just idiots? I honestly can't tell.

I was kinda hoping this would be some NPC buddy thing (you know something that you can actually call 'girlfriend mode' without sounding like a douche bag), but I actually think this is a good idea. As they said it'll help people who like the RPG part, but aren't good with the FPS part not be a dead weight until they actually GET good at the FPS part. But calling it 'girlfriend mode' at a moment in time where misogyny in video games is one of the big discussion points? That's either earthshaking stupidity, or intentionally being a jackass and I'm not sure which is worse.

Can we... please just stop using terms like "girlfriend mode" when talking about games that cater to less experienced players? I know, the phrase wasn't coined by Hemingway, other people have used it before et cetera, but guys, with the climate in gaming culture being what it is right now with constant discussions about sexism and sexual harrassment, it's just kind of... dumb. Not that using the term once in a comment like that is particularily damaging on its own, but it does reinforce the idea that games are for boys and girls are not good at them. Is it too much to ask that we try to move away from that? Is it really too much to ask that we acknowledge it as a joke in very poor taste and distance ourselves from it, and not mock the "butthurt feminists" who find a problem with it? Defeinding his usage of the phrase is not going to get us anywhere.

And yeah, "girlfriend" DOES mean "girl" and not just "friend who doesn't play games". He could have said "significant other", or "spouse", or even "boyfriend", but he didn't, and by doing so he's perpetuating a stereotype that we really should try to remove from gaming culture.

Kartoffelmos:
Can we... please just stop using terms like "girlfriend mode" when talking about games that cater to less experienced players? I know, the phrase wasn't coined by Hemingway, other people have used it before et cetera, but guys, with the climate in gaming culture being what it is right now with constant discussions about sexism and sexual harrassment, it's just kind of... dumb. Not that using the term once in a comment like that is particularily damaging on its own, but it does reinforce the idea that games are for boys and girls are not good at them. Is it too much to ask that we try to move away from that? Is it really too much to ask that we acknowledge it as a joke in very poor taste and distance ourselves from it, and not mock the "butthurt feminists" who find a problem with it? Defeinding his usage of the phrase is not going to get us anywhere.

And yeah, "girlfriend" DOES mean "girl" and not just "friend who doesn't play games". He could have said "significant other", or "spouse", or even "boyfriend", but he didn't, and by doing so he's perpetuating a stereotype that we really should try to remove from gaming culture.

Well, maybe he was referring to HIS actual real-life girlfriend. He probably is heterosexual, which is why "girlfriend" would be the first term that springs to his mind when he thinks "significant other", not because he hates women, thinks they are stupid and suck at games, and also hates homosexuals, but, maybe, because in his very own, very personal experience, he has had very few to no girlfriends that were actually good at playing video games.
And NO-ONE proves their maturity on here by starting to spew fire and brimstone over such an insignificant detail. He chose the word he chose, because he probably could relate to exactly that.
He did not say ALL WOMEN SUCK AT GAMEZ, GET BACK IN DA KITCHEN MAKE ME SAMMICH HER IZ MODE YOUR STOOPID WOOMENBRAINS WILL UNDERSTAND LOLOLOLLOLOLOO!!11!!!!1!111111
He said "girlfriend mode", because "girlfriend" is faster to say than "significant-other-mode", whilst "spouse-mode" would indicate that a marriage/civil-union thing was going on, which would make it hard for a big chunk of the target audience to relate to. As in: My honest guess is, that only very few members of the target audience are already married.

And is there a girl on here, that feels demeaned because he mentioned, that, in house, they used to call this girlfriend mode, if so, I am happy to hear that nothing at all in your life is not completely perfect, and that this is what bothers you.

Calibanbutcher:

Well, maybe he was referring to HIS actual real-life girlfriend. He probably is heterosexual, which is why "girlfriend" would be the first term that springs to his mind when he thinks "significant other", not because he hates women, thinks they are stupid and suck at games, and also hates homosexuals, but, maybe, because in his very own, very personal experience, he has had very few to no girlfriends that were actually good at playing video games.
And NO-ONE proves their maturity on here by starting to spew fire and brimstone over such an insignificant detail. He chose the word he chose, because he probably could relate to exactly that.
He did not say ALL WOMEN SUCK AT GAMEZ, GET BACK IN DA KITCHEN MAKE ME SAMMICH HER IZ MODE YOUR STOOPID WOOMENBRAINS WILL UNDERSTAND LOLOLOLLOLOLOO!!11!!!!1!111111
He said "girlfriend mode", because "girlfriend" is faster to say than "significant-other-mode", whilst "spouse-mode" would indicate that a marriage/civil-union thing was going on, which would make it hard for a big chunk of the target audience to relate to. As in: My honest guess is, that only very few members of the target audience are already married.

And is there a girl on here, that feels demeaned because he mentioned, that, in house, they used to call this girlfriend mode, if so, I am happy to hear that nothing at all in your life is not completely perfect, and that this is what bothers you.

The only point I'm trying to get across is that he didn't think about the implications of what he said before he said it. Sure, it's entirely possible that including your girlfriend in your hobby when they're not that familiar with it is a scenario he relates to, I'm not at all saying he meant anything mean spirited by what he said. But it does bother me that it didn't even occur to him that the phrase could imply that women are bad at gaming. I'm just saying that maybe developers should be more aware of that kind of thing, since sexism in the industry has been the major talking point lately.

Mygaffer:
Hey, a new (read "cut") character that is almost day one DLC? I'll skip your whole game, thanks Gearbox.

It's free with a new purchase of the game, unlike ME3's DLC which was only in Collectors editions. Its to make sure people buy new and not used, so that 2k gets there cut. I think its perfectly reasonable, its not like an online pass, you don't NEED this character to experience the full game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here