Borderlands 2 "Girlfriend Mode" Helps Noobs Win

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Nautical Honors Society:

Chairman Miaow:
INB4 bitching about pre-order DLC and calling sexism because he said girlfriend tree.

Anyway. This sounds like a great idea, because my girlfriends main problem with borderlands was that she would die more often than me, and so if this perk tree can tip the scales a bit, we may get a LOT of playtime out of it.

INB4? Really?

Well, people are going to complain, because the term they are using to describe this tree is a bit sexist. And pre-order DLC is horrible, because basically they are forcing you to buy it without waiting for reviews or other player's recommendations to see if it's actually good. They are selling an unfinished game and making you buy it blindingly under the ruse that the "extras" you get from pre-ordering are actually bonuses, when in reality they are parts of the game they took out for marketing reasons.

Also, pre-order DLC usually means they are not very confident on their game selling on their own merits. That being said I am also very annoyed that if I get this game I won't get the full version, since I won't be in the country to claim a pre-order. And this easier tree is a good idea, the term they are using to describe it, is stupid.

Wasn't sexist, and it's not what they are using to describe it. It was an anecdote, refering to his own girlfriend, who he likes to play games with but isn't as good as him, he wasn't talking about all women. And yeah, pre-order DLC sucks, but a million posts going "OMGWTF PRE-ORDER SUCKS!" won't change anything, it will just clog up the thread.

Allthingsspectacular:

NightHawk21:

Get your fukin elitism out of here. You couldn't aim a gun in an FPS at one point too.

You know, I can't actually remember a point when this was true.

Then you must be quite young. I just turned 20 a few months back and I remember the point quite clearly. That and/or you are exclusively a pc gamer and have never picked up a console controller.

NightHawk21:

Allthingsspectacular:

NightHawk21:

Get your fukin elitism out of here. You couldn't aim a gun in an FPS at one point too.

Then you must be quite young. I just turned 20 a few months back and I remember the point quite clearly. That and/or you are exclusively a pc gamer and have never picked up a console controller.

So true, im PC gamer and I still dont understand how can people aim with joystick (except that I remember there is some autoaim system introduced by Halo). If I had to use joystick for fps Id probably have problems to suicide, not to mention get kills.

Thing about this, is that I agree with this yet disagree... But then again, the reason why I disagree falls through, when I mention "Camp Boyfriend Mode".

Like I said on the New Wrap, I think it's nice they're labeling the one person I would consider ever using this mode with. My Girlfriend usually just watches me and judges my every action, on games such as Fallout, Catherine and so on... Especially Catherine, since I've made Vincent to be a bigger player than what I am (Pun).

Can't you just turn it off though?

Draxz:

It's a skill tree on a DLC character. Not a mode.

Easton Dark:

Draxz:

It's a skill tree on a DLC character. Not a mode.

I thought you could just tell her to go away or something... I feel kinda dumb now :l

Personally I like the idea, even though it sucks it's DLC. And calling it "girlfriend mode" was a bit of a misstep.

But other than that? As long as theres a higher difficulty setting I approve.

So... can anyone explain to me why this was so "controversial"? Is it because the guy referenced to his girlfriend? Is that it?

OT: I really like this. My sister is usually pretty bad at FPS games so maybe this will be the game that will convert her to the master race of camera views.

neonsword13-ops:
So... can anyone explain to me why this was so "controversial"?

Because it's the hip thing to do, be offended.

NightHawk21:

Allthingsspectacular:

NightHawk21:

I'm 22.

Though, I did start FPS gaming on PCs. Which helped considerably.

Hey guy,s let's focus on one poorly chosen phrase and use it as an excuse to feel superior to the people who are making shit for us. That's a plan.

Either way, this character really interests me. Here's hoping it turns out well.

neonsword13-ops:
So... can anyone explain to me why this was so "controversial"? Is it because the guy referenced to his girlfriend? Is that it?

OT: I really like this. My sister is usually pretty bad at FPS games so maybe this will be the game that will convert her to the master race of camera views.

Because he made a comment indicating that could be considered offensive by someone desperately seeking to be offended.

But I guess they're not here, so we have to be offended about it for them.

ImmortalDrifter:

Mygaffer:

clippen05:

It's free with a new purchase of the game, unlike ME3's DLC which was only in Collectors editions. Its to make sure people buy new and not used, so that 2k gets there cut. I think its perfectly reasonable, its not like an online pass, you don't NEED this character to experience the full game.

It is my understanding that it is NOT free if you buy new, but only if you pre-order. Otherwise I think it is still BS.

The logic is that you are trusting the game to be good before anyone has reviewed it. Gearbox is rewarding you for that trust down the line. The character could have been cut, but I highly doubt it. Borderlands 1 had 4 characters, so I'm sure they set out with that number in mind. "Almost Day-one DLC" is more or less completely wrong though. If their venture was money, they would be bringing it out much earlier. They would ship it while they could be sure the game is still in the hands of as many buyers as possible.

They don't have to bring it out early, they just have to sell it early. Ergo, day one DLC. Hell, it is worse than day one b/c you have to pre-order!

I don't know why you feel you need to make excuses for them but this is clearly a business decision on their part and not a game design one.

Ignoring the mountain of knee-jerk idiocy in this thread for a moment..

As it pertains to design. I only see problems cropping up in multiplayer, where an intentionally broken class-build could ruin the other players fun.

I wouldn't be surprised if the phrase 'girlfriend mode' wasn't a calculated move to get free advertising. I mean look at us we're talking about it.

DVS BSTrD:
If you can't aim a pistol you shouldn't be playing Borderlands. Period.

What does that mean? Is Borderlands a high class game that can't be contaminated by beginners? Will it ruin the game for you if someone else somewhere isn't very good at video games? Or do you mean real pistols, which is infinitely more stupid.

Mygaffer:

They don't have to bring it out early, they just have to sell it early. Ergo, day one DLC. Hell, it is worse than day one b/c you have to pre-order!

Wow so a dlc that will be released 2 months after the game has been released (60 days (it is even mentioned in the article)) is day one dlc these days ..... just wow.

I heard a lot of silly things but calling the Mechromancer a day one dlc is the most silliest ever.

A lot of games these days give you a free dlc when you pre-order (or get the special edition).

Atmos Duality:
Ignoring the mountain of knee-jerk idiocy in this thread for a moment..

As it pertains to design. I only see problems cropping up in multiplayer, where an intentionally broken class-build could ruin the other players fun.

I could see your point vis-a-vis PvP scenarios, but even then it isn't a matter of the build being 'broken' - it's weighted specifically towards someone new to shooter mechanics, so the assumption is that the player wouldn't last in PvP anyway. No matter what the build did to buffer the difference in skill, experience and tactical knowledge would still weigh the game more heavily against the BFF.

As for the rest of the game - why should one player having an easier time of it affect the other players at all? If it's cooperative, then the increased survivability of one team member will only increase the survivability of the group as a whole. And if the problem is that 'Easy Mode' will potentially dampen the experience for gamers looking for greater challenge - well, I guess that's a problem, but without a clearer idea of how the build works it's hard to say how great a problem it could be.

Trilligan:

I could see your point vis-a-vis PvP scenarios, but even then it isn't a matter of the build being 'broken' - it's weighted specifically towards someone new to shooter mechanics, so the assumption is that the player wouldn't last in PvP anyway. No matter what the build did to buffer the difference in skill, experience and tactical knowledge would still weigh the game more heavily against the BFF.

I actually wasn't even thinking about PvP until you brought it up.
Then again, PvP is very unbalanced in Borderlands 1; assuming equal level, whoever brings the bigger stick wins (Hunters and Sirens are uniquely advantaged there anyway; Sirens being gamebreaking already, and Hunters having access to Trespass, which is very very overpowered relative to most other passives)

As for the rest of the game - why should one player having an easier time of it affect the other players at all? If it's cooperative, then the increased survivability of one team member will only increase the survivability of the group as a whole. And if the problem is that 'Easy Mode' will potentially dampen the experience for gamers looking for greater challenge - well, I guess that's a problem, but without a clearer idea of how the build works it's hard to say how great a problem it could be.

The latter point is the problem I was focusing on, though it would only really apply to pub games. Co-op with friends would be easily handled.
Incidentally, I find that Borderlands 1 becomes much more challenging with 4 players than it does with 2 (though 2 is easier than 1 due to the added benefit of revives).

I don't think it is sexism if it's a fair generalisation. I'm sure statistics would show that girlfriends are probably most likely to be the ones who would want to share in a game with their fella but know they would suck at it. I wish people would stop being so touchy. Come on ladies, we're a minority in gaming, get over it.

I like the idea. I could even play with my sister, or my mum...
Probably not my mum though, I'd have to get her away from blur for a few minutes.

D Moness:

Mygaffer:

Wow so a dlc that will be released 2 months after the game has been released (60 days (it is even mentioned in the article)) is day one dlc these days ..... just wow.

I heard a lot of silly things but calling the Mechromancer a day one dlc is the most silliest ever.

A lot of games these days give you a free dlc when you pre-order (or get the special edition).

If you can pay money for it, i.e. pre-order bonus, before the game is even out, then yes, in a way it is.

you should never ever let noobs wins. They will brag about it till the end of times and ruin everoynes games if any such chance arrises.
Hepling newbies to learn to play is fine, helping noobs to win is a crime against humanity.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here