BioWare Defends DLC Business Strategy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

CDProjekt RED does not have an online multiplayer feature to sustain.

Translation: We likez moneh.

Seriously guys?, explaining your sleazy practices and blatantly saying that people love to throw their money at you?, what has godfather EA done to you?.

Marshall Honorof:
Melo did offer one interesting point: These sales subsidized the game's plentiful free multiplayer DLC, ensuring that players get a steady stream of varied content, and that developers get to stay on the Mass Effect 3 team.

Stuff that used to not have a market price of any kind is now a perk because they've reverted from an up-front cost (which they really haven't, what with online passes) to a backstage cost.

I think I need a road map to follow this logic.

I have no problem with DLC. It's *overpriced* DLC that pisses me off.

I borrowed Mass Effect 3 from a friend and let him borrow Mass Effect 2. Didn't have online pass so I missed out on the multiplayer that I loved from the demo version. Also altered my Galactic readiness, so my ending was altered. I did all the missions and alot of the side missions but sorry that I didn't scan every planet.

I am not happy. My friend paid $60 but I guess only one of us can enjoy the game to the fullest extent.

Redhawkmillenium:
CDProjekt RED does not have an online multiplayer feature to sustain.

Which is why they make better games.

I've always been rather easy-going (by that I mean lazy)...too much so to get REALLY pissed off about any of this crap. But then again, I didn't run into the woods and maul a deer in pure rage at the original ending to ME 3 either. Yes, it's taking advantage of the fanbase to wave stuff like "Oooooooo, look! Shiny Keys and a Prothean squadmate!" in front of them and charge them $10 for it......knowing full well that most will likely say "fuck you" as the fork over the cash. I know I certainly did, also bought this new Firefight pack because damnit, I wanted to blow shit up with the Krysae in single player (that gun totally breaks the game, btw).

But, in comedian Lewis Black's words, "don't pull down your pants and shit on my head." Or more plainly, don't piss in my face and tell me it's raining. "Oh our fans LOVE paying for all this little bullshit we force-feed them! See how much they keep buying it? Clearly they're using this stuff to masturbate!"

Dr.Panties:
Ah, the sweet scent of corporate spin. Breathe deep, fellow consumers.

*sniff* Smells like burning ass-fat.

edos63:

blalien:
I'm sorry people. I think a lot of you have legitimate points to make, but when your argument boils down to "I don't want to pay money for things," it becomes physically painful to read. Paid DLC and preorder bonuses aren't going away, for the simple reason that things cost money to make and the profit margin for video games is stretched razor thin. We might as well find a way that we'll be happy with it.

Yeah, keep eating Bioware's bullshit. After reading that article about CDProject Red last week, it's hardly surprising that people are complaining about what this Fernando Melo is saying.

I swear to God, the last three times I said anything on a thread about Mass Effect, the response involved eating feces. What the hell?

UsefulPlayer 1:
I am not happy. My friend paid $60 but I guess only one of us can enjoy the game to the fullest extent.

There's a solution to this. You have to leave your house, walk into another building, and hand a guy some green pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents on them.

um... no i'm not...
if what you mean to say is "gamers don't have the self control to vote with their wallets." then just say that.

I'm happy to pay extra?
Fuck off BioWare. Please don't fully become EA. I want to like you. But this is asinine

DLC is fine. Overpriced DLC is annoying. Day One DLC is absolute bullshit.
Online passes can get bent

Eh, whatever. The Mass Effect Trilogy is finished and they've already run Dragon Age into the ground, and I could give less of a fuck about what they're doing with Command and Conquer so I don't see me giving Bioware any more money any time soon.

Also, "resigned to" is not the same as "happy to do". Just because gamers are willing to pay more for content that you cut says more about us than you.

I still haven't bought ME3, and this is pretty much the reason. I remember that me2 was good, but felt that it had parts cut out (no real weapon choice outside of dlc) so this just gives me more reason to keep on waiting for a GOTY edition. I know it's a good game but I don't want to buy into this business model.

Oh, I'm happy to pay for DLC all the time, am I?
Thanks for letting me know, I had no idea!
I was sure I hated it, but I guess I was wrong.

day one "DLC" is inexcusable when it is already on the disk then it is just simply labeled locking features that were meant to be in the game anyway but we are going to gouge people to get the stuff. EA had done this with many games over the years all of which i never bought.

but i got the special edition of me2 got the online pass, got the dlc included in the price etc because me 1 was a amazing game with a great story and i wanted the most out of me2 especially when bioware decided not to farm out the dlc for others to do for 2 like they did for the wholly meh dlc for 1.

Mass Effect 3's "From Ashes" DLC was NOT on the disc.

I'm done supporting this developer after Dragon Age 3. They'll probably go the way of Westwood anyway.

Redhawkmillenium:

It wasn't on the disc, it was in the game. By using a savegame editor, one can have Javik recruited, and the game will proceed as if you have the DLC. "From Ashes" only includes the mission to get him.

i seem to recall that alot of it was on the disk, that the "dl" was just art assets and whatnot, might be wrong on that but i have had plenty of other games over the years that had day one dlc where dl was not involved in any way.

i just hate the whole practice of day one dlc, sell us the whole game or not, you want to create new content after the fact for it and charge us for it fine, but do not try to sell me that the "from ashes" dlc was optional or was never part of the game because he had a major and i mean major part in the story he was a key character in the game he was none of the other scrub dlc characters that got a mission or two and a few lines of canned dialogue like kasume and whats his name.

his and shepherds interactions shed alot of light on some things and make the character think about his motivations for doing all this, from ashes should have been on the disk to start period.

Doom972:

Redhawkmillenium:

It wasn't on the disc, it was in the game. By using a savegame editor, one can have Javik recruited, and the game will proceed as if you have the DLC. "From Ashes" only includes the mission to get him.

Which is still not on the disc or in the game out of the box.

There's still no excuse for day one DLC that doesn't make you seem like a money-grubbing douche.

Excessive DLC is actually a reason I avoid buying games, I don't consider it an incentive to spend a bunch of money for a game then have to spend the same amount or more just to get the 'full experience'.

When the DLC actually racks up to be more expensive that the game itself, that is unacceptable.

SupahGamuh:
Translation: We likez moneh.

Seriously guys?, explaining your sleazy practices and blatantly saying that people love to throw their money at you?, what has godfather EA done to you?.

I am sorry, but what makes that different from everyone going it should be free? (CD project Red has been named)

I am not saying the pricing is fair, but if someone has the balls to call it greedy to try to get money for their content then it is just a greedy to get content for your money. Or in this case. Content for free.

To be fair all the multiplayer DLC thusfar has been free.

Marshall Honorof:
Offering real-money transactions for convenience or in-game money for time and patience offers the best of both worlds, according to Melo. "Gamers are actually happier, as they are able to spend money when they want."

Yes, we're happier because we have too much money and nowhere to spend it. That is some sensible logic you got there.

Let me sum up my position.

1) Day one DLC can go fuck off. If it's not ready when production is locked down, fine. But don't expect me to shell out for it on day one. That sets a bad precedent.

2) The microtransitions in ME3 are not a big deal. Yes, you CAN spend Microsoft points to get more weapons, more classes, more races, etc. But the beauty of it is, you don't have to. You can earn credits in-game to do the same thing. It just takes a bit longer.

3) Yes, Bioware likes to make money. They are a business. Businesses tend to be fond of green papers. Or magenta, if you are in Australia. Do they still care about the customer? Yeah. Just look at what they did with the EC. That was beyond what most companies do, and shows that Bioware does care about the fans. But complaining because Bioware is greedy is like complaining that you got your shirt wet when you fell in the lake. It's a company. It needs money to survive. Ergo, more money is a good thing to them. You don't like it? That's fine. You don't have to buy the DLC. But don't act like Bioware is a total jerk who abandoned their fanbase because they put in the OPTION for microtransactions.

If they had truly abandoned their fanbase, they would have said "You don't like the ending? Well, too bad. That's the ending you get. Deal with it." Instead, they went above and beyond to fix the ending to please gamers, without completely changing their vision. And what thanks do they get? A bunch of people complaining that the ending still sucks, that they didn't really fix it, and that EA is killing them, and has been killing them since DA2.

Captcha: want more? Hell yeah. I still love Bioware.

Edit: And if you think that them doing the EC was no big deal, consider this. They had to have the art directors come in to make new scenes. They had to have the main cast of voice actors, including Lance Henriksen, come back in to do new lines. And they swallowed however much that cost to give it to the fans for free. In this day and age, that is an amazing amount of effort to reconnect with the fanbase.

blalien:
I'm sorry people. I think a lot of you have legitimate points to make, but when your argument boils down to "I don't want to pay money for things," it becomes physically painful to read. Paid DLC and preorder bonuses aren't going away, for the simple reason that things cost money to make and the profit margin for video games is stretched razor thin. We might as well find a way that we'll be happy with it.

It is funny how a bit of perspective makes a bit of difference.

- I want as much content for as little money as possible.
- They want as much money for as little content as possible.

They are the greedy ones? Why not me?

Trade goes both ways, and if one party is unwilling to budge we arn't going anywhere. We might as well go back to hitting each other over the head with a rock to get the other ones goods.

Is this the best possible solution? Debatable.
Is it better than no option for trade? Definitely.

I do believe in the idea of voting with your wallet and I found that the game's lottery multiplayer often rewarded you more when you use in-game currency as opposed to real-world currency, so buying reinforcement packs was pretty much worthless from the get-go. That being said, this still comes off as EA trying to excuse fragmenting their game into itty-bitty pieces to make a dime on it all. Normally I'd say "I expect more from BioWare", but to be honest, I don't think the kind of bullshit they're speaking now is beneath them. If this bullshit continues, BioWare and EA will both proceed to keep fucking themselves dry until their testicles become a permanent fixture of the anus.

Redhawkmillenium:

Doom972:

Redhawkmillenium:

Which is still not on the disc or in the game out of the box.

Semantics. The game files include the completed character model and his entire skill tree, indicating that (at the very least) the character was finished and approved before the game was certified in January. We also know that a large number of his voice files were present on the early demo that was leaked back in November 2011.

There's also evidence (both in articles, the BSN forums and the leaked script) that Javik was pulled from the main narrative (he was the original Catalyst) after part of his content was already completed, and was moved over to DLC content because of EA's drive to get the game released sooner.

You know what else was on the disc? All of the pre-order bonuses (the N7 Warfare Pack, the Reckoner-Knight Armor, all the pre-order guns) and most of the N7 Collector's Edition content (the robot dog, the hoodie, the N7 Weapon Pack).

OT, I'll give them kudos for at least having a better public statement than this interview Christina Norman did, where she publicly blamed gamers for not understanding DLC.

As far as I'm concerned, they may as well make the ME franchise full-on multiplayer anyway, because there's little hope of salvaging the single-player content.

thebobmaster:

1) Day one DLC can go fuck off. If it's not ready when production is locked down, fine. But don't expect me to shell out for it on day one. That sets a bad precedent.

I have a generally unpopular opinion on this subject.

That a product is defined by the one selling it and not the one buying it. If they want to cut up the product into tiny bits to sell it for more, then it is their right. As long as they arn't trying muddy the waters of what people are buying (Capcom showing DLC chars in Trailers of Marvel VS Capcom and didn't make it clear it was DLC) then they can go right ahead.

I am still going to try and get the deal that benefits me the most. And I have enough willpower so I dont need to buy everything. If it isn't worth the pricetag ill take my money elsewhere.

I get that people insist that they have a right to everything when buying the game, but I still cant get around that the product is defined by the seller and not the buyer.

Should we really be shocked that a company, having been brought under the umbrella of EA, is now using EA's strategy for DLC? And should we be even remotely surprised when they say people "like" Online Pass.

Idiot mistakes 'happy' for 'willing'.
Just because I want the full fucking game doesn't mean I am 'happy' to pay microtransactions or for DLCs.

I'm glad I don't like Bioware games, it must be like rape for those who did.

Im not a fan of DLC, but microtransactions could be ok if they are done well.

And I have to disagree, From Ashes did NOT add much to the story or shed light on the universes back story.

Dexter111:
No, just no, this practice is getting increasingly ridiculous and needs to die.

Nope. Your perfectly correct and insightful rant is trumped by one small thing; they make a ton of money out of it. That's it.

There are still enough willing customers out there to make this a viable business strategy. Sad, I know, but true. I don't expect a company that isn't about telling stories any more but all about making money to ever stop doing this. Unless the gaming industry drops the corporate culture and gets back to the smaller scale, creativity-driven days of old I don't see anything changing.

Dr.Panties:
Oh, thanks for telling us what we gamers like, Fernando Melo. It's so refreshing to be treated as a faceless profit margin demographic. Kudos too, on your convenient interpretation of sales data, and the gargantuan leap of false equivalency required to deem such figures as representative of overall customer satisfaction with your exploitative business model.

Ah, the sweet scent of corporate spin. Breathe deep, fellow consumers.

I fear that we really are a vocal minority. Most are either ambivalent or willing customers.

Cowabungaa:

Dexter111:
No, just no, this practice is getting increasingly ridiculous and needs to die.

Nope. Your perfectly correct and insightful rant is trumped by one small thing; they make a ton of money out of it. That's it.

No it's not. I'm pretty sure Dexter didn't say this practice will end in his rant, and especially not in this quote. And whether or not it should end is not solely determined by the profits it reaps.

Im not convinced from what I have been reading about the ending a lot of people wont be playing the game again so surely new content in single player has suffered quite a hit I remember I did get some DLC with my copy of ME2 (included with the game) Zaeed who was pretty pointless and felt tacked on especially as you couldnt even talk to him on the ship, there was also a free download of some vehicular sections cant remember what it was but that wasnt even worth the effort it took to click on and download so I was done with the DLC before I even payed for any.

Im also a bit confused why he feels the need to defend the micro transactions if he also feels it makes gamers happier why would you defend your stance on making your customers happier? unless ofc a lot arent happy about it.

If there's one thing that pisses me off about companies today is not (only) their business model, but their blatant blindness towards its inefficiency, and their devout protection of it. If a company defends their awful practises, they lose even more of my respect.
Bioware is one such company.
CDProjekt is a prime example of the opposite. At first they were all about DRM and other such bullshit, but then removed it when they noticed how useless DRM is. THAT is a company worth our respect in my honest opinion.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here