Capcom Reworks Cyberpunk Adrift as Remember Me

Capcom Reworks Cyberpunk Adrift as Remember Me

In this futurist thriller, you'll never tell the difference between what you remember and what others implanted in your mind.

You may not have heard of Dontnod Entertainment; it's very new, and Remember Me is its first project. However judging by the trailer it released at Cologne's Gamescom, it intends to make a good first impression. It's working with Capcom on this one, which has reskinned its property formerly known as Adrift to create this new cyberpunk thriller.

You'll play as Nilin, a memory hunter who lives in a world where snippets from people's lives are bought and sold like cheap trinkets. In this world, as Nilin says in the trailer, "there are no secrets any more." Well, there's at least one; for the hunter soon becomes the hunted. "When her own memory is erased," according to the press release, "Nilin begins her journey to reclaim her identity and discover how she can change the world." There'll be plenty of martial arts mayhem along the way, set against a beautiful futuristic Parisian backdrop.

The game is scheduled for a May 2013 release, for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. For those wanting a few screenshots, Dontnod has kindly released some via Facebook.

Sources: Dontnod, Kotaku

This looks considerably interesting both gameplay and story wise. Gonna have to keep an eye on this one.

First of all...

Couldnt resist.

Anyway it seems interesting, but until i see some meat i wont make a call.

Seems like an interesting twist on the classic Amnesia angle.
Poor girl just wants some piece of mind.

Indeed, plenty of ways to mess this up along the way. Interesting setting (by that I mean futuristic Paris) and interesting premise, just like DeusEx HR, but there's very little gameplay here and about half way through the lines start to get really cheesy. We shall see.

That looks very, very interesting. Definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Yes please.
No, I don't care what else you have to sell, the answer is yes.

Well, that trailer got my attention.
Gonna keep following the development to see how this ends up. It seems to have a lot of potential gameplay and story-vise.

I'm a bit skeptical about this.

The premise for the game sounds great: Cyberpunk world where memories are easily reprogrammed, and a person who's job is to reprogram memories gets hers reprogrammed. Lack of gameplay footage makes me curious on what kind of genre this might be outside of action/adventure, but the premise seems good.

Where it falters for me is with the character. I get the feeling that Nilin might be used as a character for us to build sympathy for because she is female. Its kind of like the "Tomb Raider" reboot where we are meant to feel sympathetic to Croft's drama because of rapists, cannibals, and nature pissing on the poor girl.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but that is my two cents. I'll be interested in learning more though.

I would get this but I hate Capcom for the way they treat non fighters.

I am liking the CyberPunk, I was thinking the other day we need more games in that setting, definitely one to keep an eye on.

My only concern is that from the trailer it feels like a bit of a mash-up of other games, specifically Deus Ex: Human Revolution and a little Mirrors Edge.

They have a gameplay video over on their capcom-unity site which shows that the memory altering is a piece of gameplay as well, kind of reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell's hacking visuals with the "change the outcome" puzzle play of Ghost Trick.

In the real world it has the area traversal of assassin's creed, and overall looks pretty interesting, looking forward to seeing more of this.

This does look really cool, but Capcom, aren't you forgetting about that OTHER game series set in the future? The one with the guy wearing blue? Had a matching helmet and a little gun attached to his arm... lets get back to making games about him, hm? Then we'll talk about these new IPs.

Captcha: bait the line

I'm trying, Captcha! Lets hope Capcom bites...

Okay that looks damn cool.. and coming off just seeing Total Recall, it makes me like it even more (and not just because the heroine sort of sounds like Kate Beckinsale). Definitely gonna keep an eye on this one.

Holy crap, that trailer just made me shiver with anticipation. That looks bloody brilliant. Hope they don't screw it up with usual crap like Day 1 DLC, passes, multiplayer and the rest.

What a fantastic aesthetic, cool (and hot) protagonist and a cool story, even if it is a little "Total Recall" :-) Will be keeping an eye on this one after the new year. 11 months is too far away to get too excited.

Gameplay footage: http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_remember_me_memory_remix_gameplay-27922_en.html

Looks like it has a lot in common with Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed.

I certainly dig the art style, atmosphere and premise. The gameplay however is obviously inspired by Assassin's Creed and looks just as bland.
I guess it will come down to what this game has to offer in terms of writing. The set up is rather predictable but there is potential if they make the conspiracy interesting by mixing in some philosophy e.g. existentialism.

This is where AC failed me miserably. I hope this one does better. I certainly will keep an eye on it.

GenGenners:
Yes please.
No, I don't care what else you have to sell, the answer is yes.

shutupandtakemymoney.meme

Ishigami:
Gameplay footage: http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_remember_me_memory_remix_gameplay-27922_en.html

I certainly dig the art style, atmosphere and premise. The gameplay however is obviously inspired by Assassin's Creed and looks just as bland.
I guess it will come down to what this game has to offer in terms of writing. The set up is rather predictable but there is potential if they make the conspiracy interesting by mixing in some philosophy e.g. existentialism.

This is where AC failed me miserably. I hope this one does better. I certainly will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for posting. Looks way more interesting after watching that!

That memory mechanic could be very cool if it was more puzzling

I'm getting really, REALLY sick of this formula:

In a Future world, the protagonist works for the man. Is betrayed by the man. Goes on the run to bring down the man.

What is it about Cyberpunk that seems to make writers think that is the *only* way to structure a story!?

Great to see some new (albeit not necissarily original and unique) IPs surfacing. The game's visuals are great, voice acting that I enjoy and gameplay that looks passable. I'll pick it up. But I'll do so second hand, not gonna put another cent into Capcom's pocket. Ever, again.
My only worry is that the plot and themes of the game will get far too fluffy and out of focus, like how in Eclipse Phase you don't actually play a character, you play an amorphous blob which pretends to be a character once in a while.
But asides that, the title looks good, and I'll be intrigued to see what these Devs could do next.

Ishigami:

Thanks for the link!
Looks interesting, I will be keeping my eye on this one.

Squilookle:
I'm getting really, REALLY sick of this formula:

In a Future world, the protagonist works for the man. Is betrayed by the man. Goes on the run to bring down the man.

What is it about Cyberpunk that seems to make writers think that is the *only* way to structure a story!?

I imagine this is how some people felt during other art periods. "ANOTHER painting of Mary and Jesus? Do you have anything new? I got like 50 of those already." "Exactly how many bowls of fruit can somebody stare at until they realize that other things also have shadows?"

i find their obsession with palindromes interesting

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here