SimCity Wreaking Havoc on Mac in Early 2013

SimCity Wreaking Havoc on Mac in Early 2013

PC gamers can sign up for the SimCity beta starting tomorrow.

It's been many years since a new entry in the SimCity series was released, but that's all going to change in 2013. EA announced a revival of their city-building (and destroying) franchise, which also went on to spawn the mega-popular Sims series, earlier this year, with a PC release date set for 2013. The publisher just confirmed that SimCity will also be releasing for the Mac in February of next year at the same time as the PC version.

While release dates for Mac versions of PC games used to lag behind (if they happened at all), EA has been a supporter of Mac users in recent years, releasing The Sims 3 for both on the same day in 2009. SimCity for the Mac will be available as a digital download through EA's Origin service.

Those who can't wait to unleash natural disasters on their cities can sign up for the SimCity beta starting tomorrow, which is when the page will go live. Beta testers will get a chance to check out the game before it's released, though it's limited to PC gamers only.

Source: Polygon

I still think this game is going to tank with the forced social shit and online only components...

Also the fact that this is modern day maxis, not late 90s/early 2000s Maxis. Maxis after being owned by EA for so long.

Matthew94:
I still think this game is going to tank with the forced social shit and online only components...

Also the fact that this is modern day maxis, not late 90s/early 2000s Maxis. Maxis after being owned by EA for so long.

Mmm... Early Maxis... *drool*

OT: I am reminded of Age of Empires Online. That's bad.

I'm still excited. Bought Simcity Societies a while ago and I do enjoy playing it, aside from the nonsensical money issues and it's not very deep. (For some reason I got the expansion pack for free on Origin, even though it's advertised at full price. Not sure why, but I'm not questioning it.) But I enjoy it for a mindless city builder. I'm hoping this is more like Sim CIty 4 than Societies, but I've always been a small town builder anyway.

I've been following the game and am looking forward to it - my Origins friends list is empty so I'll basically be playing alone anyway. We'll see how the online only works - I think it might only be a connection is needed to start the game, but I'm not sure. Annoying, but I'll be playing from home anyway.

Aaaaand now I have Origin. SC5 Beta here I come!

Long-time fans of Sim City have been pouring so much justified dislike over this new reboot over the past weeks. Not only have the makers of this game chopped out everything that has made the previous game great (terraforming, God Mode, large-sized cities, region mode), they're also forcing people to play ONLY online with no option for offline single player whatsoever.

Look, I know that cities in real life aren't meant to be isolated bubbles, but Sim City isn't real life. I'm sure most people playing the game would play with good intentions, but then there are players who will purposely build cities full of pollution and crime, just for the sake of 'infecting' other cities. Heck, Maxis even said that they'd allow it to be possible.

Since the very beginning, Sim City was a single player game, and while adding a multiplayer mode to SimCity is nice, restricting it ONLY to multiplayer is NOT. At the very least give people an option to create a city without the interference of others.

Even then, there's very little of what made the previous Sim City good, so why bother calling it Sim City at all? It's like having a game series based on platforming and having its long-awaited sequel involve racing instead.

Oh, on that note, I think this mimicks the fan reaction to this latest game quite perfectly.

Ldude893:
Long-time fans of Sim City have been pouring so much justified dislike over this new reboot over the past weeks. Not only have the makers of this game chopped out everything that has made the previous game great (terraforming, God Mode, large-sized cities, region mode), they're also forcing people to play ONLY online with no option for offline single player whatsoever.

Look, I know that cities in real life aren't meant to be isolated bubbles, but Sim City isn't real life. I'm sure most people playing the game would play with good intentions, but then there are players who will purposely build cities full of pollution and crime, just for the sake of 'infecting' other cities. Heck, Maxis even said that they'd allow it to be possible.

Since the very beginning, Sim City was a single player game, and while adding a multiplayer mode to SimCity is nice, restricting it ONLY to multiplayer is NOT. At the very least give people an option to create a city without the interference of others.

Even then, there's very little of what made the previous Sim City good, so why bother calling it Sim City at all? It's like having a game series based on platforming and having its long-awaited sequel involve racing instead.

Oh, on that note, I think this mimicks the fan reaction to this latest game quite perfectly.

Where do you get the idea that they removed region mode. You can have your own region to yourself in the game. Per the website,

As mayor you control all of the major decisions in your city, but why stop there? Now you will play on a much larger scale, as your city is part of a much larger region. You can control one or multiple cities in an open region on the web, in a private region shared with your friends' cities, or in your own personal region. Each city within a given region will affect the others around it, so your decisions have an impact not only on your own city, but on your friends' as well.

Sounds to me like that will be the way to avoid having randoms infect your city with crime/pollution.

*sigh* Simcity is just not something that works in multiplayer atmosphere for me. Only like one out of every 10 of my cities ever got of the ground, in an online region thing what happens to the other 9 cities? do i get to chose what kind of map i get? the terraforming precity being built was fun. how much of the fun stuff (megastructures, landmarks, specials like the themepark university chemplant) is going to be paid content only. And what about all the cities you F- up and make unprofitable? Are you going to nerf so you can't go in to the negatives...

To many question marks, to much stuff thats gonna be forced, and i'm not even mentioning SC4 which left a bad taste in my mouth... seriously me and dad were huge SC fans, after a week of 4 (first bad sign btw, was not the the proper number, 4000) we went back to playing 3000.

It could could be good, even brilliant, they seem to have put some thought and effort into it, from what I've seen, but I'm not pre-ordering for several reasons.

Will you be able to be play offline?
Is the maximum city size really only 2x2 miles?
Will it be moddable to the same extent SimCity 4 is?
What sort of terrain generation and modification tools is it going to have? Will the community have to provide these again?

These questions need answering and EA have been avoiding them.

I really don't like the cartoonish look of the default tile sets either and I really don't want to have to pay $80.00 for the full game, which is only available as an Origin download, apparently. The "Limited Edition" you can preorder in other stores is just that - limited.

PS: I REALLY hate that stupid building placement animation they seem so proud of. I hope to God someone mods that out, or I'm not buying

PPS: Anyone else think that the latest videos just make it look like Cities XL?

EDIT: Hadn't read the forums in a while & it looks like my worst fears are realised, no proper offline at all, no region terraforming, no large cities & severely limited moddability (if any).

Congratulations EA, you've just lost a sale.

I'm amazed at the misinformation people have concerning this game. The deluxe edition costs $80, otherwise it's the regular $60 every game costs. The extra 20 bucks gets you themed buildings relating to French and German architecture.

The rest of people's questions will be answered starting tomorrow with the Beta. I'm hoping I get an invite and will be looking forward to videos and articles on the game.

IndomitableSam:
I'm amazed at the misinformation people have concerning this game. The deluxe edition costs $80, otherwise it's the regular $60 every game costs. The extra 20 bucks gets you themed buildings relating to French and German architecture.

Yea, but with SimCity 3k and SimCity4 you didn't have to cough up $20 for the international tilesets.

Andrew_C:

IndomitableSam:

Yea, but with SimCity 3k and SimCity4 you didn't have to cough up $20 for the international tilesets.

Back then you had to cough up a lot more since you needed an absolute monster pc to play SC4 properly. Even now, almost 10 years later, my pc sometimes has trouble loading a large city.

Also, wasn't that the time everybody still thought the world economy would keep growing forever?

Nimcha:

Andrew_C:

IndomitableSam:

Back then you had to cough up a lot more since you needed an absolute monster pc to play SC4 properly. Even now, almost 10 years later, my pc sometimes has trouble loading a large city.

Also, wasn't that the time everybody still thought the world economy would keep growing forever?

What does the state of the world economy and the type of PC needed to play SimCity 4 have ANYTHING to do with Simcity 5?

Andrew_C:

IndomitableSam:

Unfortunately, that's the way the world works now with DLC and such. I'm not getting it. There's also this superhero and cops thing you get with pre-order... so I'm not sure I even want to pre-order unless I know for sure that stuff won't be in my game unless I want it to.

Andrew_C:

Nimcha:

Andrew_C:

What does the state of the world economy and the type of PC needed to play SimCity 4 have ANYTHING to do with Simcity 5?

I could ask you the same thing since you started that comparison. I merely extrapolated.

My point being, times change.

Nimcha:

Andrew_C:

Nimcha:

I could ask you the same thing since you started that comparison. I merely extrapolated.

Seeing as we are playing that game, why does "times changing" validate always online play, no true singlepayer mode, no terraforming, no sandbox mode and smaller cities?

And if you think that $20 is a good price for some extra models and textures, I have a bridge you might be interested in (only one owner, recently refurbished).

Andrew_C:

Nimcha:

Andrew_C:

Seeing as we are playing that game, why does "times changing" validate always online play, no true singlepayer mode, no terraforming, no sandbox mode and smaller cities?

Nothing. But that's not related to the point you made originally, to which I reacted.

Nimcha:

Andrew_C:

Nimcha:

Nothing. But that's not related to the point you made originally, to which I reacted.

But neither are the system requirement of SimCity 4 or present economic conditions, which was your reaction to my original point. And you still haven't said why either is relevant to SimCity 5.

Or are you trying to say that times are so tough that the only way EA can afford to make this game available is to drip feed it to us as overpriced DLC?

Andrew_C:

Nimcha:

Andrew_C:

But neither are the system requirement of SimCity 4 or present economic conditions, which was your reaction to my original point. And you still haven't said why either is relevant to SimCity 5.

What I'm saying is, SimCity 4 is not relevant to SimCity 5. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Nimcha:

Andrew_C:

IndomitableSam:

My Intel Pentium 4 processor computer with integrated graphics ran the game perfectly

Nimcha:
(quote stack snipped)
What I'm saying is, SimCity 4 is not relevant to SimCity 5. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Well I have to disagree with you there. I'm not expecting SimCity 5/2013 to be SimCity 4 with better graphics.

I am asking why it lacks popular features of the earlier SimCity titles, such as terraforming and God mode; why the maximum city size is smaller than SimCity 4, even though even cheap modern hardware is vastly more powerful and the Glassbox engine is supposedly more efficient than SC4's simulation engine and finally why even the limited single player mode which they have grudgingly granted us requires a connection to Origin.

I can play SimCity, SimCity 2000, SimCity 3000 and SimCity 4 today if I wanted. Will I be able to play SimCity 5/2013 once the SimCity World Servers have been shut down?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here