Routine Is Anything But

Routine Is Anything But

Routine is all about first-person perma-death exploration horror - on the moon!

The first-person horror genre just got a little more crowded with the announcement of Routine, a game in which you're sent to investigate the disappearance of all personnel at a research station on the moon. It looks like a fairly conventional addition to the field at this early stage, at least as it's been defined by the hit Amnesia: The Dark Descent, with "full body awareness" and no HUD or hit points, but it adds a few unique twists of its own that could turn it into a seriously compelling experience.

For one thing, it will be entirely non-linear. The lunar base will be fully open and explorable from the get-go, allowing players to solve the mystery on their own terms and even discover secrets that others miss. Not that solving the mystery is a given, though, because Routine also makes use of a "Perma-death system" and while it's not actually described to any extent, it seems pretty obvious: you die, and you start over.

That's a ballsy move and will no doubt drive people crazy, but I like it. One of the few weaknesses of Amnesia is that it could be "beaten" simply by blundering through it, because death carried no real consequences. But if dying means starting over, you can bet that people will work a lot harder to stay out of trouble, and to haul ass when they run into it.

Routine is the first project for three-person development team Lunar Software, an indie studio based in the U.K. No release date has been set, but you can bet we'll make some noise about it when it gets here. In the meantime, you can find out more at routinegame.com.

Looks cool. I definitely like the completely open world from the beginning. And the perma death sounds interesting.

Interesting, I hope to hear more of this game soon. No health packs... lol

Zero-gravity zombie astronauts. Calling it right now.

Anyway, sounds intriguing. I had thought permadeath had, well...

died. Permanently.

There's obvious similarities with Deadspace, but this game might actually be SCARY. Deadspace was a joke. Buying weapon upgrades at a vending machine? In a HORROR GAME? Lets hope they keep the gun toting marines out of this one.

Permadeath?
Scary, no. Frustrating, yes. And the unwashed masses of Let's Play-ers will also have infinite material to "work" with.
Shiiiiii-

Perma-death is not scary, all it does is make the player more cautious before death and angry afterwards.

It does look interesting, but another game for all youtubers to play is the last thing we need. We've had Amnesia, Slender and now this.

Sounds and looks really interesting. Not sure about the perma-death, that could be incredibly frustrating but having said that, it could have an added layer of survival about it which could make it more tense and scary.

So Perma-death implies zero save functions available?

Well that's...just dumb.
Not scary.
It's not 'I could die' that makes Scary games scary.
It's the immersion, atmosphere, TENSION, being in the shoes of a protagonist that is in no way able to defend himself properly, it's the panic that makes it all worth it, not the end that means you died, infact dying is always sort of a relief in horror games.

DayZ in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Looks interesting, I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Looking badass so far. I love horror and science fiction and it is rare that games combine the two, even rarer when they do it well. This looks to do both. Really looking forward to this one.

Alone in an empty moon base? A company called Lunar?

Do we play as Sam Rockwell?

Mr.Tea:
Alone in an empty moon base? A company called Lunar?

Do we play as Sam Rockwell?

HA! xD

OT: A 3 person team? Seriously? Kudos.

Can't wait for all the scare cam lets plays...

Andy Chalk:
Not that solving the mystery is a given, though, because Routine also makes use of a "Perma-death system" and while it's not actually described to any extent, it seems pretty obvious: you die, and you start over.

So, just like every roguelike I tried, I'd play it between two and four times before giving up entirely because I'm sick of rehashing the opening game. Because no matter how open or randomized things are, it's always the same basic hoop jumps at the start.

I have an idea, how about I not play it? Sounds good.

l3o2828:
So Perma-death implies zero save functions available?

I'd assume no multiple-saves-for-one-playthrough functions. And not the Pokémon Cop-out, but rather constant autosaves. At least I hope so, because I'd love to play that, even though I really hate horror games.

First thought: Oh joy, slow-mo blood particle physics physics, whoopee.
Second thought: Wait a minute, that's not earth gravity! Where the hell am I?
Third thought: ... Who'se doing the shooting?

Slenderman on the Moon!

Sounds very much like the old Amiga game Infestation - except that happened on a space station and was bug related. Good game though. The more time you spent exploring, the worse the infestation got.

Very intriguing. I actually like the perma-death idea, barring that the world is just as open as they say it is, because if you die, you should just be able to set off in a different direction and get a new set of experiences that way.

Let's hope they don't fill the spaceship with monster-sized vents everywhere though.

A "perma-death system," so details remain to be disclosed. There may be options, tweaks, whatever, that give death more impact without making it completely frustrating.

Or they might say FUCK YOU GUYS! DIE AND START OVER! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We'll see.

I sure hope the game is short. If its say, 10 hours long, few people will finish it since dieing at the 8 hour mark means having to slog through 8 hours just to get where you were. That's incredibly frustrating and something many people won't stand for.

I'm really curious about this game.

"Permanent death" is successfully used in Diablo 2/3. Friends of mine recently started playing Diablo 3 in hardcore mode with mixed success. Despite the setbacks they all said it gives them an thrill while playing because they need to pay attention to everything.
This sounds perfectly fitting for horror game to me!
However I hope the developer does not intend to force this on all players because this might be a huge turn off for the greater public.

The open world approach also sounds very daring. It will be interesting to see how the narrative will be structure, considering the player will be alone, as well as how much they strive for multiple solutions of one situation.

I always long for good horror games.

Did anybody else notice how many floppy disks where just lying around that advanced moon base. And in futuristic games in general. Come on guys can't at least use disks!? But floppys...

Looks cool, if they ever do a demo version I'd check it out but I'm not gonna put out money for something that will piss me off beyond belief.

Mr Cwtchy:
Zero-gravity zombie astronauts. Calling it right now.

Anyway, sounds intriguing. I had thought permadeath had, well...

died. Permanently.

Lol. There's only one game I know of that really has permadeath, and it exists solely to make a point.

Basically, if you die in that game, it deletes itself.

(I think there was mention of another that carried a virus, but I can't remember if that actually existed or not. If it did, it was said to wipe your hard drive if you died... Yeah... >_<)

I simultaneously can't wait for this to come out and wish I'd never heard of it.

It looks superb. Very nicely put together and I'll be interested to see how the lack of linearity effects the game. And I do agree that Amnesia just ended up being one long game of 'see what happens when you run out into the open and then adapt a strategy based on how quickly
You died.' Really that was my biggest gripe with the game, death was consequenceless so it took all of the tension away.

But permadeath? I'm not sure my keyboard would survive this game.

Twilight_guy:
I sure hope the game is short. If its say, 10 hours long, few people will finish it since dieing at the 8 hour mark means having to slog through 8 hours just to get where you were. That's incredibly frustrating and something many people won't stand for.

To be honest, maybe the game can be finished in 30 minutes if you know where everything is, they said that the map is fully explorable from the get go. Maybe most of the time of the game is spent exploring the place and trying to find where the key elements for the exit are.

I dont know, I am just especulating, but since they never said that the levels are random I kind of expect something close to that. Loosing 8 hours of progress and having to do it all again is just an unnecessary pain

Well the description made it interesting, but that trailer did not, only thing looking scary is humanity reverting back to floppy disks, and them having some dubstep guy attempt a horror soundtrack.

We will see what comes out but sofar their work speaks badly for itself.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here