Steam Brings Castle Crashers To PC Gamers

Steam Brings Castle Crashers To PC Gamers

The Steam version of Castle Crashers will feature Steam achievements, voice chat and local multiplayer.

I had no idea the folks at Behemoth were poetically inclined, but its announcement came in a bit of doggerel from Behemoth forum moderator Dan Paladin: "While BattleBlock has been churning / there's another wheel turning! / And that wheel is Castle Crashers running on Steam!" Yes, the little maniacs with the big heads who've rescued 1,524,612 princesses so far - royalty must breed like rabbits in their world - will now come to PC gamers, complete with features like voice chat, Steam achievements and local as well as online multiplayer. The announcement came at GamesCom, and for those of you who happen to be in the vicinity who want a word with the Behemoth team, John Baez will be in GamesCom Hall 7.1 booth C030 from August 17th - 19th.

The gameplay is blessedly simple. Your knights - there's a small township's worth of playable characters, though you start with four and unlock the rest - maraud across the landscape, beating up everything in sight that isn't them or a princess, thus saving the day. The Steam version will feature 30 levels and 5 arena modes, with over 25 unlockable characters for players to discover. It doesn't look as though it will put much strain on your system or sound card, but those wanting to know more about its tech specs should go here.

Alas, there is no release date yet. However there will be a playable demo version at Pax Prime; see the Behemoth Booth #3003 if you happen to be headed that way. Let the last word be said by Paladin, Poet Laureate: "It was accomplished by utilizing one of our programming teams! / We always liked this platform so it's kind of a dream!"

Source: Kotaku

This is the best news I've had all day.

I predict it will quickly be catapulted to the top of the sales charts.

better late then never I always say another game that will most likely cause me to replace my 360 with my computer

Hmm, I'm all for multiplatform releases, but I personally found Castle Crashers horribly repetitive. Really interesting setting, and often quite funny, but the gameplay never evolved and the 2.5D aspect of it was rather annoying too...that's just my opinion though.

About damn time!

Now after that, bring it to the VITA and allow for PS3 an Vita Crossplay!!!! That would be seriously legit. The Vita could run it easily and the touchscreen controls could be used for potions and blocking or something. PLEASE?

25 unlockable characters... the bit they leave out there is that most of those characters can't measure up against the Red Knight, because Red Knight just crushes everything.

Don't get me wrong, game's still amazingly fun for a 2D beat-em-up, and the sheer amount of unlockables will keep you busy for a while, but there are some clear winners and losers when it comes to picking characters.

Baron_Rouge:
Hmm, I'm all for multiplatform releases, but I personally found Castle Crashers horribly repetitive. Really interesting setting, and often quite funny, but the gameplay never evolved and the 2.5D aspect of it was rather annoying too...that's just my opinion though.

With a bunch a friends the repetitiveness goes down quite a bit, and Steam is the perfect platform for it. I've been waiting for this for a long while.

I can't see myself wanting to go through that grindfest again.

About time!, I can definitely see myself purchasing this and playing countless hours with my nephew (we already play together lots of Magicka and Rayman Origins, so yay for PC gaming with 360 controllers!).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here