eBay Bans Spells, Potions, and Curses

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Mythrandia is totally a wizard I just know it.

Mythrandia:

Mr F.:
Uh. Just... Skimming most of this thread. You lot know why. If I read all of the huge posts written by Mythrandia it would be a good hour until I would be able to do anything. Seriously.

My brain has turned to mush though. Just from contact with non-sensical word walls. I automatically try to read things, get about 300 words in then my brain just starts to scream.

"Why, For the love of god, why! Why are you reading such non-sensical horse bollocks! Save yourself!"

And then I stop.

More on topic?

Bout time. I fucking hate this shite. I hope eBay steps up and bans the selling of anything related to Homeopathy or anything sold by a "Nutritionist" (Fyi, I am now a Nutritionist. Because the term that requires a degree is Dietitian. If you state you are a Nutritionist, you are now a Nutritionist. The word is meaningless and there is no regulatory body. Go forth and scam, Brethren). Life would be easier, or at least happier, if the scam artists of this world were regulated into the nether hells.

I think ebay should regulate hypnosis. There should be lists of patterns which children are not allowed to use and say, forbidden combinations of words that cannot be spoken to people while they are in deep trances. In fact I think people should go to jail for making certain suggestions habitually, in the same sense that people shouldd go to jail for giving lsd to people and becoming their spirit guides and leading them through a psychosis to a juncture in spacetime where they instruct this person to fly off a cliff.

Just kidding I don't think hypnosis should be regulated. If you did that then Bandler and Grinder wouldn't be able to argue with each other and say things like

Bandler: There is no such thing as hypnosis
Grinder: Everything is hypnosis.

And so on, with frogs to princes, and wands to snakes, and egyptian mythology and such.

Let me be clear: In the following statements I do not intend to insult you in any way. Faith is one thing, fact is another. I accept faith (Religion, stuff like that), up until someone declares it to be fact.

If something is being presented as a fact (Drinking this WILL cause this) and it is proven to not be a fact (Drinking the offered item will do nothing) then something has gone wrong. Deliberately or accidentally, someone has been mislead and this is wrong. Without this certainty that the items we buy or consume are what they claim to be our modern, capitalist world would collapse.

But selling magic, homeopathy, anything that cannot be proven is wrong. It is harvesting money from people too dumb to look after themselves. Some might argue that these people should be allowed to make those mistakes. Probably the same people who think that speed cameras are limiting freedoms. But oh well.

Practice your religions. Just do not try and charge me for prayers and other such things which cannot be proven to work. Or can be proven not to work. God I hate homeopathy. And all other forms of scams of this nature.

Mythrandia:

Timnoldzim:
Awwww! But I was just about to put up my Great-Grandpa's coffin! There's still 142 years left on its curse, y'know.

How do you know?

Well, he said it'd be 150 years, and he died 8 years ago. If the bastard lied to me, well, that's no skin off my nose.

You KNOW trying to ban the sale of magick will just drive the users to the unregulated wilds of the black market where they might get involved with cut products, criminal activities and violence... ;)

eBay are positioning themselves as shield on the bank account of a perticular subset of the desperately naieve. My first reaction was along the lines of "why" - just let people do their thing if that's how they want to spend their money, but I came around to it since generally we're talking about the sort of people who try to sell air guitars. The sale of actual books, art, trinkets or occult, "magickal" paraphernalia is still allowed because there's an actual product. Sounds fair, though I could think of a few grey areas.

I'm not sure how Mr. Crowley would feel:

"Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law"

Timnoldzim:

Mythrandia:

Timnoldzim:
Awwww! But I was just about to put up my Great-Grandpa's coffin! There's still 142 years left on its curse, y'know.

How do you know?

Well, he said it'd be 150 years, and he died 8 years ago. If the bastard lied to me, well, that's no skin off my nose.

He said what would be 150 years?

CaptainMarvelous:

Thorvan:
Okay, as an actual Wiccan (Or Witch, I take either one) who ACTUALLY knows a few things on the topic, let me make a potentially pointless attempt to clear things up; I'm not the most knowledgeable on the topic, but I feel it my duty to clear some things up.

First of all, Mythrandia is being hilarious.

Being a Witch/Wizard/Druid etc. Is actually a legitimate, fairly old religion, you probably know it as paganism, and was actually one of the more predominate western European religions; We're pretty sure, it's a little hard to tell considering that the Catholic church kinda rolled in and destroyed every trace of it. What bits did survive eventually came into the US in the mid-50s as Wiccanism or Paganism and has been a growing religion ever since. There's probably a few covens around where you live, you can usually google it. Like all faiths, please try to treat it with a baseline of respect.

I actually looked into this a little at Uni and I can add, it wasn't one religion of wizards/druids/what-not, there were bucket loads in England alone of different stuff like Tree Language, Druids doing stuff, Runes from the Vikings, Candle Magic, Dowsing, they're all from different 'religions' if you want to phrase it like that. Paganism isn't 'sactly an old religion as much as a label on a type, like Christianity sub-divides into Catholicism and Mormons but with a bit more sub-division than that (Lugh and Baldur might symbolise the same thing but they were vastly different in terms of the beliefs and how they worshipped) so... yeah. Sorry, just adding more context to it o.o-b.

I'm aware, I was more-or-less trying to put it into a recognizable context; Most different groups are today fairly small, and hard to run into especially in North America, so I was more trying to give a VERY quick run-down on those you might typically run into this day and age. I provided the link for people who wanted to dig a little deeper, but I figured I'd focus on the immediate rather than give a history lecture. Also, I was tired, and was prone to screw something up.

Thanks a lot for adding on, though! <3

So...

Is Ebay trying to stop all of the joke and stupid auctions that go on their site?

Andrewtheeviscerator:
What! how will I get my daily dose of Jesus blood now!

Become a catholic priest and make your own.

They have always banned spells. You know why?

BECAUSE REALITY BANS SPELLS!

I'm not usually one to play Devil's advocate (:P), but I take it, therefore, that the sale of all religious material (and quasi-spiritual paraphernalia) will be banned as well?

s_h_a_d_o:
I'm not usually one to play Devil's advocate (:P), but I take it, therefore, that the sale of all religious material (and quasi-spiritual paraphernalia) will be banned as well?

Well I suppose.

I do however think there might be a difference between selling a voodoo curse and a voodoo doll. One of the are actual physical objects. I dont think there is a large amount of prayer for sale to the monotheistic deities, but probably more than enough religious idols and paraphernalia.

Where the line is drawn I guess is if the item is an actual physical item rather than a made up service.

Draech:
I dont think there is a large amount of prayer for sale to the monotheistic deities, but probably more than enough religious idols and paraphernalia.

I wasn't aware monotheistic deities were eBay users. :P

Draech:
Where the line is drawn I guess is if the item is an actual physical item rather than a made up service.

But a "magic potion" can be deemed an actual physical item, even if it's efficacy is debatable. And who's to say that a "true believer" cannot experience an intended effect (whether placebo or no), as much as any inspiration of faith derived from an effigy of a human figure upon a cross.
My point being, that one man's religion is another man's heresy, and to an agnostic mind, any particular religious belief system (and the various associated components) may be based upon "a made up service".
What's the bet that the undoubtedly prodigious selection of "Christian-centric" products won't be coming off the [virtual] shelves anytime soon.

i remember this one chick selling her virginity starting at 17,000, and people were bidding left and right lol

s_h_a_d_o:

Draech:

But a "magic potion" can be deemed an actual physical item, even if it's efficacy is debatable. And who's to say that a "true believer" cannot experience an intended effect (whether placebo or no), as much as any inspiration of faith derived from an effigy of a human figure upon a cross.
My point being, that one man's religion is another man's heresy, and to an agnostic mind, any particular religious belief system (and the various associated components) may be based upon "a made up service".
What's the bet that the undoubtedly prodigious selection of "Christian-centric" products won't be coming off the [virtual] shelves anytime soon.

You need to look into what is actually being sold as a magic potion. It is really no different than selling "Good Vibrations" or a "Love spell". It is a definition question really. A large amount of the so called magic potions arn't actual physical objects changing hands. The same cannot be said about Crosses and crystals ect.

And that puts it back to my opinion that it has more to do with it being physical objects rather than what religion it represents.

DugMachine:

Nah, I'd say he's more a Dirk Gentley style bamboozler. It helps that no one has the stamina to make it through the reams of text he produces.

ClockworkPenguin:

DugMachine:

Nah, I'd say he's more a Dirk Gentley style bamboozler. It helps that no one has the stamina to make it through the reams of text he produces.

Do you know Svlad Cjelli? Do you know Reg? What are the 3 questions that George III asked Reg?

Revnak:
Mythrandia is not the wizard this forum needs, he is the wizard this forum deserves. His mastery of the arcane arts is such that we can only watch in bemusement as he crafts the most devastating of spells.

I, however, am but a lowly bard, a chronicler of sorts, and I shall record the epic of Mythrandia.

Mythrandia:

ClockworkPenguin:

DugMachine:

Do you know Svlad Cjelli? Do you know Reg? What are the 3 questions that George III asked Reg?

Is that a reference to the books? Its been a few years since I read them.

ClockworkPenguin:

Mythrandia:

ClockworkPenguin:

Is that a reference to the books? Its been a few years since I read them.

Oh yes? I read that book more than 100 times. I must have noticed stuff that lets you say magic words to judges and prosecutors and such, because I was thinking about timekeepers (or more shortly, Reg) at the time i went all george iii on those judges and got them to back down.

Also, I was talking to Grace Augustine in that forest that night. You can talk to caricatures of stuff in your mind, but sometimes, an arbitrary caricature will approach you on a dark night, while you are partially dreaming, partially looking at stars, and partially imagining what it would like to be a tree in a forest. Which tree would I be? You might be playing, and Grace would come, and say "do me a favor and don't smoke that yet." And you'd say to yourself Sig--which means Cigarette, or Sigourney Weaver, and this would confuse you a moment, then somebody would caw chaos, and Augustine would be right there, telepathing with you.

The rangers would not know that it is tomfoolery (and wizards will have lists that contain the word tomfoolery, for example lists of words spoken by doctors in Good Will Hunting, and also, nothing else) to tell wizards to not use reeds to clean their fingernails, because Wizards say things like "what did people do before these white people came over and wrecked languages and excrement so grannies don't tell stories about magical items they got from the portal netwrok anymore."

Do you know they are breaking the internet? They are making it so corporations can stop speech that hates CEOs of corporations that create hostile work environments by having the corporation sue anyone who says mean things about Bill Carbone which are true and meaningful and important, like, "you are forming disciplinary committees which strip doctors of totems for saying shit you don't like and standing up for issues. There is an election and you rigged it and also you are sexually harassing women who do psychometrics and you are taking away their jobs and replacing them with newbies who are not competent so you can boss newbies around and you are a fascist dictator with an army of lawyers who scares lots of doctors and in fact is making a rumor mill of doctors who believes rumors and imprisons people in hospitals and such and you are a very, very bad man, but i have to go do something cool with my lief like check out some things in Shell Beach, under the water.

You mensch killed Eric Okerblom, a 1600 SAT score, insights into genetics and nicaragua, original research, this constiutes a loss to society and you did not even try to build a more fair transportation system.

I think what you are doing is arguing, and you need a wizard, because in worlds with wizards, there is some consensus.

it is good for democracy. you think democracy doesn't work because of arrow's impossibility theorem? Well that proves you is not a wizard. What is a wizard? Where are six sigma blackbelts, you ask them. Also, what are moon bases?

Has regius chronitis walked on the moon, yes or no? If yes, then I submit to you that either timelords or wizards exist, and George III was not mad, but thsoe who was mad was his shrinks who tied him up, cut him with knives, and filled those cuts with mustard. That did not help. That is a violation of the hypocratic oath.

Be nice to wizards, muggles. Leave out saucers of milk and make nice gardens, first cats will come, and then some wizards if you are lucky. Goodbye and good luck, world.

Auberean, Ishtar Ishtar Alianna!

Darn, I was really hoping to buy the Apocalypse spell, I hear it goes for like 1000 at retail. I was hoping I could find a none used copy for a little cheaper. But now no. How am I going to wipe out all life on the planet if I can't go the major hub for internet goods.

Maybe amazon has it.

Kuchinawa212:
Darn, I was really hoping to buy the Apocalypse spell, I hear it goes for like 1000 at retail. I was hoping I could find a none used copy for a little cheaper. But now no. How am I going to wipe out all life on the planet if I can't go the major hub for internet goods.

Maybe amazon has it.

Play the original diablo 1. Hack yourself a staff that casts apocalypse. Go places and practice casting. Put yourself in your avatar. Run programs, fire mirror neurons and such, dream about it, do not dream about having sex with people that you are not having sex with, dream about mountains and grasshoppers and mice, especially try to become a mouse, because DNA says that mice are pan-dimensional beings who probably can jump through portal space and have access to the Akashic Records and can easily hack into darknets and such.

Doing a very, very close read of all my words and formulating a self-consistent storyline about a true wizard who could pass him/herself as a quantum dot floating around in a bubble with some words written by members of the manhattan project and such, watch Feynmann's lectures, and figure out what Bell Inequalities are, and email me a synopsis, I will let you join some magic clubs, then. Real ones.

DugMachine:

How do you know things? Do you feel? What do you feel, in words? ppl at AGHS who used to listen to myself, Alana Lemarchand (Berkeley 4.0 econometrics), and David Gleason (Stanford/Cal Tech, physics 'n such) debate in Denike's class? Mike's articulate. That's all. Oh and what else? Who is the rennaisance english scholar of 1999 for AGHS? Also, i have secrets, but nothing else right now except the following anagram hint: What is setec astronomy?

Do you know that among wizards there is some wizards (like ppl with 7 repeats in the 3rd cytosolic loop of their DRD4 gene 7R allele, which codes for, inter alia, novelty seeking) who figure out stuff, and others who just trust ppl. Both are good ways of learning stuff. Do you like to invent wheels all by yourself, or do you like it when wizards make some of your wheels? Do you use wheels? Stun-rods? Hyper wave decoders? Psi amps? Have you researched Psi stuff, yet? What are psionics, in the context of say, Xcom: UFO Defense?

Nevermind what you think is real or imaginary: What works for you? Have you tried stuff?

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Misleading title. I thought they banned the sell of Magic cards.

If they did they'd get true backlash I'm sure.
I personally agree, religion and witchcraft have no place in eBay, I think they should go a step further and not allow 'holy relics' to be sold either. I'm Catholic, by the way.

So long as I can keep selling my toast with Jesus etched into it I'm fine. Just remember, $100 a piece.

What will I do now when I feel particularly stupid and/or gullible and want to throw money away? Guess I could just support a politician.

I hope that post didn't take long to come up with. Because I only looked at it for about 4 seconds.

hahaha can you imagine? Magik piracy! This is what they have created.

Not a bad start. Now ban the rest of the mumbo-jumbo.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here